Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The idea that you don't have the right to kill yourself is silly, yet in the US tens if not hundreds of thousands of people each year are admitted to psychiatric hospitals who have their right to refuse treatment revoked for expressing such thoughts.

Of course the line of reasoning that the doctors used in this case seems to be some sort of "fairy-tale" logic that exists specific to this case.

On a final note, Euthanasia except in extremely dire circumstances like muscle-wasting illnesses and some end stage terminal cancers seems a little pointless in a society where you can look up over 1000 ways to kill yourself in less than 30 seconds on the internet. I feel like if you want to kill yourself you should at least have to commit to doing your own research and do the dirty work yourself.

Deleted
    I'm glad that Holland gives you the option. She got to see doctors, she got a second opinion. It's her life and her choice and if she's suffered (and still is suffering so much that death seems like a release) enough. Let her end her life on her terms, you cant ask someone to just stay alive because.

There are plenty of videos on youtube on how it works (though older people) and it seems really humane and peaceful.

If i wanted to kill myself i would have to hang myself, get a gun or throw myself before a lorry / train. Someone else would have to clean up the mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Rougle View Post
    If you've ever been around someone who has been sexually assaulted. everything that person wants is to NOT talk about what happend, they want to be treated normally, like nothing happend, to try and forget the horrifying event they went through, but everyone just keeps bringing it up, forcing the person to think about it again and again, so that they technically relive that moment.

If people treat others normally, and not bring this shit up, it's better for the person in question.

That is what Daish is on about. and he is spot on.
    No, he really is not spot on.

Not talking about it leads people to commiting suicide, not shutting up.
    Beliving that rape is, "not a big deal" makes it ok in many peoples eyes and leads to even more rape. Thats not helping at all.

Daish views are "odd" and judging by the vile crap he spews out on this forum, he has no intention of making anyone feel better or helping anyone in a situation like this.

I feel like I need to re-clarify that I am in no way opposed to people choosing to end themselves. Totally fine. My counter-arguments have only been about the medical ethics of such situations and requiring doctors to take part. There are circumstances where that is fine and circumstances where it isn't, and from everything we know about this case, I still see it as a gray area.

I'm not denying the reality of mental illness or the immense suffering it can cause. And I'm not saying anyone needs to be forced to stay alive a minute longer than they want to. I'm simply pushing back on the idea that doctors should be the go-to angels of death and should just sign off on any mentally ill person dying being they have physical manifestations of their illness or because a google search told you it was "incurable."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Detritivores View Post
    I feel like I need to re-clarify that I am in no way opposed to people choosing to end themselves. Totally fine. My counter-arguments have only been about the medical ethics of such situations and requiring doctors to take part. There are circumstances where that is fine and circumstances where it isn't, and from everything we know about this case, I still see it as a gray area.

I'm not denying the reality of mental illness or the immense suffering it can cause. And I'm not saying anyone needs to be forced to stay alive a minute longer than they want to. I'm simply pushing back on the idea that doctors should be the go-to angels of death and should just sign off on any mentally ill person dying being they have physical manifestations of their illness or because a google search told you it was "incurable."
    Good thing that doesn't happen and you need to undergo a series of sessions that will take a long time before a doctor signs off, as in years.

So yeah misinformation ain't that a bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Good thing that doesn't happen and you need to undergo a series of sessions that will take a long time before a doctor signs off, as in years.

So yeah misinformation ain't that a bitch.
    I'm not misinformed. I understand how it works in Holland. I shouldn't have been sarcastic about "because a google search told you blahblahblah..." I can see how you thought I might not understand. But I do. And I still see this as an ethical gray area. And would most likely not be comfortable with it. Sorry. Not sorry.

This is the future under left wing governments.

Everything is valid becuase you say it is valid.

God help us all

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sethman75 View Post

God help us all
    Maybe God can also introduce you to using the internet constructively, like looking up who's in power in the netherlands and finding out it has been a centrum right government for two sessions and so is it in the majority of Europe for that matter.

Or you can continue to believe this fictional world you created, the world needs fools after all

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sethman75 View Post

God help us all
    You missed the doctor assisted part.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arent View Post
    "Depression is a state of mind"

It kinda is though, that's literally what depression is, a state of mind... Numerous studies have shown, that just pretending to be happy and not depressed can alleviate depression.
    This only give a short little burst of "happy" if any and its fake happy not real kinda like taking drugs.

The incredible stupidity and self-righteousness displayed by the fucktards who think they have more say than the person herself in if she wants to die or live is again a staggering display.

I can and do understand the uneasiness about euthanazia because of potential malpractice, abuse and carelessness, but 95 % of the arguments are absolutely not about that but about wannabee tyrants and retards who wish to impose their own will and ignorance on others.

(note : I'm speaking about the anti-euthanazia people described in the OP, haven't read the whole thread)

Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    The incredible stupidity and self-righteousness displayed by the fucktards who think they have more say than the person herself in if she wants to die or live is again a staggering display.

I can and do understand the uneasiness about euthanazia because of potential malpractice, abuse and carelessness, but 95 % of the arguments are absolutely not about that but about wannabee tyrants and retards who wish to impose their own will and ignorance on others.

(note : I'm speaking about the anti-euthanazia people described in the OP, haven't read the whole thread)

She had mental issues... Wanting to kill yourself at some point in your life is quite normal...

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    She had mental issues... Wanting to kill yourself at some point in your life is quite normal...
    She was bedridden, she had had mental issues for several years, she was in constant anguish and the doctors deemed her incurable. That's her fucking life, if she's had time to spent years thinking about it and still want to die, then let her get peace and don't try to impose your own fucked up hypocrital sadism masquerading as feel-good morality claims on her.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Tbh I made a mistake in my wording. I meant to imply that mental health issues are "curable" so that with proper treatment the person won't have to suffer any symptoms anymore.
    Fair enough

10+ Year Old Account
    She was bedridden, she had had mental issues for several years, she was in constant anguish and the doctors deemed her incurable. That's her fucking life, if she's had time to spent years thinking about it and still want to die, then let her get peace and don't try to impose your own fucked up hypocrital sadism masquerading as feel-good morality claims on her.
    News flash... ALL mental illness is incurable. It can be treated as well as possible but some symptoms will always remain and it's up to the individual to cope with them.

Some background. I have Social Anxiety and Paranoid Schizophrenia. For years I was incredibly depressed. I attempted suicide twice. I was sent to a hospital and committed to a psych ward. I've spent the last 5 years since in therapy. I've defended people who talk of suicide against simpletons who have no idea what's going on or how hard it actually is to go through with. I've defended the right of terminally ill people to euthanize themselves. Now onto this story...

This woman was not of sound mind to make such a decision so the doctors in question acted wholly unethically.

Quote Originally Posted by Karrotlord View Post
    News flash... ALL mental illness is incurable. It can be treated as well as possible but some symptoms will always remain and it's up to the individual to cope with them.

Some background. I have Social Anxiety and Paranoid Schizophrenia. For years I was incredibly depressed. I attempted suicide twice. I was sent to a hospital and committed to a psych ward. I've spent the last 5 years since in therapy. I've defended people who talk of suicide against simpletons who have no idea what's going on or how hard it actually is to go through with. I've defended the right of terminally ill people to euthanize themselves. Now onto this story...

This woman was not of sound mind to make such a decision so the doctors in question acted wholly unethically.
    And newsflash : you're not her. You have no right to force your own opinion on her, especially when it comes to her own life. Being cautious and supportive is great. Being an asshole who remove agency from others because he knows best is repulsive.

If someone wants to die then they should have the Right to do so. it's their body, their mind, and their life. and shame on the people saying otherwise. Incredibly selfish and ignorant.

10+ Year Old Account
    And newsflash : you're not her. You have no right to force your own opinion on her, especially when it comes to her own life. Being cautious and supportive is great. Being an asshole who remove agency from others because he knows best is repulsive.
    Neither are you for that matter.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Chief View Post
    He said: 'It almost sends the message that if you are the victim of abuse, and as a result you get a mental illness, you are punished by being killed, that the punishment for the crime of being a victim is death.
    Trying to take the moral highground and abusing the victims death for your own political motives what an ass.

It's also bullshit because to the victim it is a great punishment to live in a crappy life with horrible psychological problem and you want to force that upon her.
    And than you say this:
    What this woman needed, at a desperate point in her young life, was help and support to overcome her problems, not the option of euthanasia.'
    She had counceling for 15 years constant treatment and it didn't work, so she wouldn't have become better. Their is always a small amount of people that wont get better.

==================================================================
    Euthanising is extremely hard in the netherlands, even if you discuss it with the docter he might still back out of it when you are mentally/physically incapable of requesting. Also when someone requests it it has to go through many counceling etc. For a doctor to do euthanisation is extremely risky and still negative.
    I myself am for the possibility of euthanisation but with a lenghty process of councelling.

Does life insurance cover an assisted death?