Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerilis View Post
    Naaah... How about Finland? Or do I get too much flames for proposing that? D:
    Nah, Finland was only in it because they (justifiedly) feared a grab of the Soviet Union. They weren't all that fond of Hitler, really. For them, in their particular situation, it was the lesser of two evils.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussiedude View Post
    Wonderful SU-27 & Mig29s flying over Moscow on a beautiful day in Mother Russia

The miniskirt Army are Beautiful...Where is America's Mini Skirt Army??
    In the US, we pay for, equip and train our military forces to you know, fight actual wars, not be props to illustrate the authority of the state. Which is why states like Russia have those parades in the first place.

I'd be embarrassed if my country put on a tawdry show like that. Christ even the crap Presidential Inauguration parade is a bit much, but at least nobody watches or cares for that.

Frankly, I think those pictures are degrading to women and the entire concept of professionalism at any job... forget military professionalism for a second.

Quote Originally Posted by IIBloodXLustII View Post
    Haha. No. The Lend/Lease act alone made America a massive factor for victory in Europe. And I'm not just talking about supplying crappy M3 Lees to the Russians, I'm also talking about supplying the UK with the means to hold off the German tide during the Battle of Britain. It wasn't what won the Battle of Britain as that goes to the amazing RAF and volunteers from other occupied nations, but having extra munitions and planes sure didn't hurt.

And then there was the American marines kicking the Japanese all over the Pacific. Imagine if it was the Soviets and not the Germans that had a war on two fronts?

And THEN we can talk about the American (And others, I won't ever forget the British, Canadian, Free French and other forces that were also there) that landed in Normandy and forced the Germans to devert men and resources from the East to the West. Apparently the Germans felt that forcing the western allies back was really important, as they used an enormous amount of men and resources in an effort to counter attack during Operation Watch on the Rhine (Which lead to the Battle of the Bulge).

I would also like to mention that the Red army only entered Berlin first because Eisenhower let them for political reasons. The Western Allies actually made it there first and watched (As the Red army stalled out for a time and swept south instead of going straight in.) The remnants of the German 12th and 9th armies made a famous last stand/rescue operation outside of Berlin that was allowing soldiers and refugees to escape capture by the Soviets and get to the relative safety of the Anglo-American forces on the other side of the Elbe River. (These guys are true heroes, they defied Hitler's direct orders to counter attack in order to save as many as possible from the Soviet Union's horrible war crimes.)
    The Battle of Britain was over before the US started to sell war material through Lend Lease to Britain so none of the aircraft used by Britain were of American design or made in America and neither were the munitions. The Japanese had also tried quite a few times to try and invade Russia and failed miserably every time. Even with Germany's attack in 1941 Russia had enough army divisions still Siberia to fight back anything the Japanese could of mustered for an invasion, which also would of taken place in the winter. Not something the Japanese were really prepared for, even less than the Germans.

Lend Lease did play a pretty big and vital role in supplying Russia with food and logistical support to actually move the food and troops to where they needed to be. They had enough men, guns, tanks, fuel, and other such things but a lot of the agricultural land had rather mean Germans squatting on it now. Without the food and trucks to move it around a lot more Russians would of starved to death. Logistics are just as important in war as the war material itself and it's what the West helped Russia with the most.

If Russia went at it alone it's a toss up on who would of won. Remember it wasn't just Russia vs Germany. Germany had allies a lot of people ignore during Barbarossa. Romania had half a million men, Finland had half a million, Hungry had around 200,000 and Italy's contribution was small at 60k in the beginning which increased to 200k later. Without aid from Lend Lease and diversion of troops to North Africa and Italy because of the other allied nations Russia may well have lost. Japan was having all it's fun raping across China. Whenever they met a real army they usually got crapped on.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    I'd be embarrassed if my country put on a tawdry show like that.
    Something like this?

can we knock off talking about uniforms and get back to interesting topics?
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!

lol, Japan was all playing by himself, farming the jungle for 30 mins and then couldn't even kill their passive offlaner and got nuked instead.
    http://thediplomat.com/2012/08/the-f...e-war-of-1939/

In the summer of 1939, Soviet and Japanese armies clashed on the Manchurian-Mongolian frontier in a little-known conflict with far-reaching consequences. No mere border clash, this undeclared war raged from May to September 1939 embroiling over 100,000 troops and 1,000 tanks and aircraft. Some 30,000-50,000 men were killed and wounded. In the climactic battle, August 20-31, 1939, the Japanese were crushed. This coincided precisely with the conclusion of the German-Soviet Nonaggression Pact (August 23, 1939) – the green light for Hitler’s invasion of Poland and the outbreak of World War II one week later. These events are connected. This conflict also influenced key decisions in Tokyo and Moscow in 1941 that shaped the conduct and ultimately the outcome of the war.

This conflict (called the Nomonhan Incident by Japanese, the Battle of Khalkhin Gol by Russians) was provoked by a notorious Japanese officer named TSUJI Masanobu, ring-leader of a clique in Japan’s Kwantung Army, which occupied Manchuria. On the other side, Georgy Zhukov, who would later lead the Red Army to victory over Nazi Germany, commanded the Soviet forces. In the first large clash in May 1939, a Japanese punitive attack failed and Soviet/Mongolian forces wiped out a 200-man Japanese unit. Infuriated, Kwantung Army escalated the fighting through June and July, launching a large bombing attack deep inside Mongolian territory and attacking across the border in division strength. As successive Japanese assaults were repulsed by the Red Army, the Japanese continually upped the ante, believing they could force Moscow to back down. Stalin, however, outmaneuvered the Japanese and stunned them with a simultaneous military and diplomatic counter strike.

In August, as Stalin secretly angled for an alliance with Hitler, Zhukov amassed powerful forces near the front. When German Foreign Minister Ribbentrop flew to Moscow to sign the Nazi-Soviet Pact, Stalin unleashed Zhukov. The future Red Army Marshal unveiled the tactics he would later employ with such devastating effect at Stalingrad, Kursk, and elsewhere: a combined arms assault with massed infantry and artillery that fixed the enemy on the central front while powerful armored formations enveloped the enemy’s flanks, encircled, and ultimately crushed him in a battle of annihilation. Over 75 percent of Japan’s ground forces at the front were killed in combat. At the same time, Stalin concluded the pact with Hitler, Japan’s nominal ally, leaving Tokyo diplomatically isolated and militarily humiliated.
    Japan tried to Invade Russia as soon as 1939. They wanted the resources of Siberia.

Hitler was too afraid to open the Eastern Front to help his "honorary Aryan" friends who were forced to flee and attack USA instead.

In the US, we pay for, equip and train our military forces to you know, fight actual wars, not be props to illustrate the authority of the state. Which is why states like Russia have those parades in the first place.

I'd be embarrassed if my country put on a tawdry show like that. Christ even the crap Presidential Inauguration parade is a bit much, but at least nobody watches or cares for that.

Frankly, I think those pictures are degrading to women and the entire concept of professionalism at any job... forget military professionalism for a second.
    Are you jealous of millitary parades since the only parade you can see are those with hairy half-naked men wearing leather outfit with dildos in their hands?
    Quote Originally Posted by Daralii View Post
    An orc named after Jesus firing a kamehameha at a tentacle dragon and making it explode into fairy dust before a group of dragons don't lament the loss of their once-friend or the now inevitable extinction of their species due to their newfound sterility and mortality but instead congratulate him on knocking up his wife was pretty fucking insane even by this series' standards.

Wow. Someone didnt get the joke.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pantelija View Post
    Are you jealous of millitary parades since the only parade you can see are those with hairy half-naked men wearing leather outfit with dildos in their hands?
    Wtf lol. Where did that come from!? Haha

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    In the US, we pay for, equip and train our military forces to you know, fight actual wars, not be props to illustrate the authority of the state.
    I'm pretty sure the people of Iraq/Libya plus the rest of the world would prefer it if the US military forces just stuck to parades :P

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pantelija View Post
    O.o

Er, cocaines a hell of a drug?

Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    I'm pretty sure the people of Iraq/Libya plus the rest of the world would prefer it if the US military forces just stuck to parades :P
    It's a damn shame there hasn't been a defense strategy in the history of the world that's been more successful than forward defense.

Fighting your enemies where they live and utilizing defense-in-depth is a far more effective strategy than waiting them to come to you. Proactive defense is superior to reactive defense.

And with the US situated between two vast oceans and not in Eurasia, we're uniquely situated for that. So yeah, not gonna happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post

Japan tried to Invade Russia as soon as 1939. They wanted the resources of Siberia.

Hitler was too afraid to open the Eastern Front to help his "honorary Aryan" friends who were forced to flee and attack USA instead.
    So, Japan tried to gank the Soviets early, failed, and then decided he needed more farm and went off to the jungle for half of the game. Typical jungler, I say.

Though he later successfully ganked the USA and decided this would be a good time to get more farm... in the jungle.
    Last edited by Cerilis; 2016-05-11 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kontinuum View Post
    Something like this?
    Honestly? Yeah. I mean don't get me wrong, I think it's as awesome to see B-2s or fighters in formation doing flyovers as much as anybody. But in principle, these are gross.

Troops on the field doing some flag ceremony at sports events is very out of place. It really honors no one and nothing. Half the crowd wants it over with. It cheapens the military. It says a really not-great message about civilian-military relations. It is beneath us as a country. You can throw in this civilians referring to the President as "Commander in Chief"... well yes, if you're in the military. For all of us who aren't or never were, he's the President, not "our" Commander in Chief.

The military justifies it of course as promotional for recruiting - and they certainly aren't wrong in that regard. I was driven to do Air Force ROTC by three things to be honest: Ace Combat 4 (made in partnership with the defense industry), Stargate SG-1 (actively supported by the USAF), and the post 9/11 military frenzy (I was a stupid 20 year old, cut me some slack). Patriotic displays DO work, but they should never be what a country is about.

I mean let's be real. Imagine the kind of Military display of state power the US could do. It wins for all time, automatically, by having its 20 B-2s fly in formation over the Capitol. It would be one of the most historic aviation pictures ever taken. But that shouldn't be what the US - or any other country - is about.
    Last edited by Skroe; 2016-05-11 at 11:32 AM.

So, Japan tried to gank the Soviets early, failed, and then decided he needed more farm and went off to the jungle for half of the game.
    They were counting on you, but you were too scared to commit. Some ubermenschen.

Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post

You do realize that sticking the Japanese to attack in South East Asia could very have well ended with the USA focusing 100% on Japan ? Which is what you desire but not what you genuinely want.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh my, why is Cybran so unfun and salty. D:

I really don't understand why Cybran is blasting the USA over their conduct of the war, when Bulgaria sided with the Axis

(Rather obviously, Cybran is not responsible for Bulgarian acts, but he seems to be keen on blaming modern day Westerners...)

not exactly on topic here..but I wonder how americans can defend the deliberate bombing of civilians during WW2 and at the same time condemning 9/11 with a straight face.

they are of course...the same..terrorism. and you cannot support one and reject the other

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    I really don't understand why Cybran is blasting the USA over their conduct of the war, when Bulgaria sided with the Axis

(Rather obviously, Cybran is not responsible for Bulgarian acts, but he seems to be keen on blaming modern day Westerners...)
    That's it! Bulgaria will be the fifth one! The whiny one that keeps blaming the team.

Quote Originally Posted by wooters View Post
    not exactly on topic here..but I wonder how americans can defend the deliberate bombing of civilians during WW2 and at the same time condemning 9/11 with a straight face.

they are of course...the same..terrorism. and you cannot support one and reject the other
    It's not on topic, and to take modern linguo, Axis powers are just salty to have picked foes who had the means to do on a industrial scale what they were doing with the passion of the artisan (hello, bombing of Chengdu)

Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    He would have tried to invade Germany anyway if Hitler hadn't pre-empted it, which means the rest of Western Europe would have been taken by Stalin as well afterwards, as Germany and the rest of the West wouldn't have been ready. So Hitler had no other choice but to invade first, but his bad tactics screwed it in the end.
    I think you should look more into your history. Stalin had no real desire for conquest pre WWII and was only interested in securing his hold on Russia. He only started taking over territory because Hitler provided him the opportunity to do so and made him feel the need to to act as a buffer between Russia and Germany and he in fact did everything he could to placate Hitler and prevent war with Germany as he knew he was in no state to go to war as was shown by the poor performance of the army in both Poland and in particular Finland.