Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Upgrade computer help :)

Hello!

I am looking for some help regarding upgrading my computer!

I am currently running a 770 winforce GPU which is working great, but my i5 4760k @4.0 is struggling a bit with the after effects and premiere work i do so i am looking for a decent upgrade.
    My current z87-a Asus motherboard also has sound problems, which i blamed on headsets for way too long so the guarrantee is out, therefor i also would like a new motherboard along with it. Problem is i dont really know which are the best for your buck atm etc for the work i need it for as i havent been keeping up.
    I am also looking to upgrade my 120gb ssd since i am running out of space, so i would like a 240gb one if there are any recommended brands (or should i go bigger? probably not since i got a 2tb hdd aswell?) My current cpu cooler is a noctua U12-p, can i use this or should i get a new one?

I am also currently capping out on my 16gb ram when i got Wow, After effect and photoshop up at same time so should i get 32 gigs instead?

Thanks alot for answers, have a great day/evening! :D

//Navira
    Last edited by mmocc8f2d2d3cb; 2016-05-08 at 07:52 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I usually don't recommend x99 to many people, but if your constantly running all those programs I think a 6800k would be a good fit for you with 32 or even 64 gigs or ram. The price isn't much higher than going with a 6700k and a z170 motherboard. Only issue is that 6800k isn't out yet but will be this summer if you can wait.
    <Royal Militia> 13/13M Recruiting for Legion.
    My DK I tank stuff and things.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Positions View Post
    I usually don't recommend x99 to many people, but if your constantly running all those programs I think a 6800k would be a good fit for you with 32 or even 64 gigs or ram. The price isn't much higher than going with a 6700k and a z170 motherboard. Only issue is that 6800k isn't out yet but will be this summer if you can wait.
    How long are we talking until release date? And i currently got a Cooler Master Storm Scout II Advanced case, is that too small for that motherboard or would i need a new case?

10+ Year Old Account
    They should be out some time this summer. We'll find out exact dates during computx at the end of the month. Also it will fit just fine as long as you get an ATX motherboard not and E-ATX.

Deleted
    Alright, Thanks alot for the help, do you have any specific RAM to recommend, is it some new gen ram going on now? I really got no clue ^^ Also do you have any clue about my cooler if its good or nawt?

10+ Year Old Account
    you would need ddr 4 ram for an x99 motherboard. Cosair LPX is really good ram for the price. Your cooler im not to sure of but with a quick google search its say noctua has a mounting kit you can ge to fit on LGA 2011.

Deleted
    the Mhz seems to be at 2133 or 3000 for the ram sticks where 3000 is much more expensive, is 2133 enough?
    thanks

10+ Year Old Account
    Ram speed is pretty much irrelevant. It makes some difference for Skylake though, but for Haswell-E it's mostly irrelevant. It probably is irrelevant for Broadwell-E too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    Ram speed is pretty much irrelevant. It makes some difference for Skylake though, but for Haswell-E it's mostly irrelevant. It probably is irrelevant for Broadwell-E too.
    What he said. You'll want to get four sticks of ram though so it would run in quad channel

Deleted
    why is quad better than duo, isnt it better to go 2x 16 instead so i can upgrade to 64 if i really need it, or maybe that is overkill

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Navira View Post
    why is quad better than duo, isnt it better to go 2x 16 instead so i can upgrade to 64 if i really need it, or maybe that is overkill
    Technically speaking you get double the bandwidth but to be honest I doubt that you'd notice a difference.

Deleted
    Alright, so what I am gonna buy then is:
    240gb SSD
    z170 mobo
    i7 6700k / 6800k (depending on if i can be arsed to wait)
    32gb 2 sticks of ram @ 2133

Sounds good? ^^

10+ Year Old Account
    should work out pretty well. If you do feel like waiting for 6800k you would need get an X99 motherboard instead. They 6800k and 6700k use different socktes.

10+ Year Old Account
    6800K is Broadwell-E and goes at LGA2011-V3 @Navira

That's a X99 mobo for them instead of a Z170 one that you'd use for Skylake. Like @Positions said.

Deleted
    I see, That price difference on motherboard though coupled with increase in price between cpu, Not sure its worth it in that case @Artorius

May i ask whats the difference between skylake, broadwell-e and the haswell type i got now, ?
    Last edited by mmocc8f2d2d3cb; 2016-05-11 at 09:43 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Haswell is the architecture that Intel built to use with the 22nm FinFET node manufacturing process. Broadwell is a die-shrink of Haswell which means that it's just Haswell but smaller at a 14nm FinFET manufacturing process. Skylake is the architecture Intel built to use at the 14nm FinFET manufacturing process.

This doesn't help much right? Yeah. You really can ignore the differences between them, whatever goes at LGA2011 is ~enthusiast level and the ones that go at LGA1151 are normal consumer-grade products.

The main difference that you'll see between them is that the enthusiast ones give you options with more cores, and they also tend to have larger caches. The consumer grade quad core i7 however, will come with a higher clock out of the box (the chip is smaller so it can clock itself higher without increasing the power consumption and the heat too much). The six-core and octa-core i7s will consume a lot of energy and produce a lot of heat when working at high clocks, that's why they come with lower clocks by default.

Broadwell-E has a CPU with 10 cores now as the i7 flagship, so the price of the six core is supposed to be lower than it was previous gen (Haswell-E 5820K). If you want even more cores then the option is to go truly enthusiast and buy a Xeon.

Deleted
    so basically Skylake is the inbetween, you trade more cores for lower speed, which is good for editing software but irrelevant in games?

10+ Year Old Account
    so basically Skylake is the inbetween, you trade more cores for lower speed, which is good for editing software but irrelevant in games?
    You can OC the LGA2011 ones just fine, they just come at lower clocks but they're also multiplier unlocked. People have no problems running the 5820K at 4.5Ghz, right @DeltrusDisc?

Higher clock and more cores are both more or less useless for gaming, what really matters is IPC and IPC is virtually the same for both options.

Deleted
    Alright, then i think ill go with the skylake was it worth it to go 4 ram pieces for skylake then or is it really just unnoticable? Sometimes i stream my after effects too so
    Oh and any SSD brand that you would recommend?

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    You can OC the LGA2011 ones just fine, they just come at lower clocks but they're also multiplier unlocked. People have no problems running the 5820K at 4.5Ghz, right @DeltrusDisc?

Higher clock and more cores are both more or less useless for gaming, what really matters is IPC and IPC is virtually the same for both options.
    Die.

Alright, then i think ill go with the skylake was it worth it to go 4 ram pieces for skylake then or is it really just unnoticable? Sometimes i stream my after effects too so
    Oh and any SSD brand that you would recommend?
    Crucial or Samsung. They have the best track record and the most solid SSDs.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water