I'm now and then considering giving FFXIV a serious try if I leave WoW for good (if I manage to get a character on Balmung, or they lift the restriction), and got a question: I have a rough idea about how do you unlock flying (a rough equivalent of WoW's Loremaster & Explorer achievements, unlocked per zone, right?), but what I want to know is, can you also unlock it in pre-Heavensward "basic game" zones, once you reach the level needed for flying (if there is one?), or unlock it via quest, or how's it unlocked for your character?

Flying isn't enabled in the ARR zones like how it was in WoW pre cata. As for unlocking its pretty similar but not as grueling. You go to certain locations of the map to find a current and do a few quests.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Demoneq View Post
    I'm now and then considering giving FFXIV a serious try if I leave WoW for good (if I manage to get a character on Balmung, or they lift the restriction), and got a question: I have a rough idea about how do you unlock flying (a rough equivalent of WoW's Loremaster & Explorer achievements, unlocked per zone, right?), but what I want to know is, can you also unlock it in pre-Heavensward "basic game" zones, once you reach the level needed for flying (if there is one?), or unlock it via quest, or how's it unlocked for your character?
    Been a while since I unlock flying ...

There is a quest to unlock flight in general where you get an Aether Compass that allows you to see/track Aether Currents. Those are spread out over the zone in various places, some easy to reach, some not. Once you get them all, flight is enabled for the zone.

Pre-HW zones, you cannot fly in. The zones aren't designed for flight and will probably never be.

Not sure about future zones ...
    Internet forums are more for circlejerking (patting each other on the back) than actual discussion (exchange and analysis of information and points of view). Took me long enough to realise ...

Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    Been a while since I unlock flying ...

There is a quest to unlock flight in general where you get an Aether Compass that allows you to see/track Aether Currents. Those are spread out over the zone in various places, some easy to reach, some not. Once you get them all, flight is enabled for the zone.

Pre-HW zones, you cannot fly in. The zones aren't designed for flight and will probably never be.

Not sure about future zones ...
    Each zone has ~5 currents that are out in the zone that you need to find, and ~3-4 that are only awarded from a quest. Azys Lla is completely unlocked via the zone quests.

I highly recommend just putting the Aether Compass on a hotbar until you've unlocked all of the currents and flying in each zone, you'll be clicking it a lot while working towards unlocking flying. It's very satisfying, IMO, working similar to the Pathfinder achievement in WoD...but on a zone by zone basis, so most of the time the last current will come from the last MSQ quest for the zone, if you've gone and done everything else you can in the zone while working on the MSQ.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelwryn View Post
    Ayep, Overwatch patch fan notes. Should've linked to it, my bad. :c
    No big deal. The typo for machinist gave it away as being bogus.

Re: Balmung, any specific reason you want on that server in particular?

Worst case scenario is to make a character and transfer. I don't think the transfer cost is outrageous from what I recall, but I'm curious why you're wanting the server specifically (there are a few reasons I can think of, but not going to assume).

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post

Worst case scenario is to make a character and transfer. I don't think the transfer cost is outrageous from what I recall, but I'm curious why you're wanting the server specifically (there are a few reasons I can think of, but not going to assume).
    1) RP is a big part of MMOs for me (big enough to quit/not start playing over it), and as far as I know, Balmung is the "go to" RP server (not an official one like in case of WoW, but regardless).
    2) My friend (whom I met in WoW around WotLK, we used to be in the same guilds through WotLK and part of Cataclysm) plays there (also for RP reasons).

As for transferring, if I'd have to transfer one character, and then would be able to roll new ones there to my heart's content (Which would be quite logical thing to allow, if someone has a character there, I mean, it's not like they can play more than one at the time, on the same account, right? So it wouldn't increase the server queues or load.) then I could go for it, but each and every new one, pass. (I know you can have all classes/jobs on one character, but I would likely want to have more eventually, again because of RP, different races, genders, etc., otherwise I'd end up with something like WoW's "((Not a DK IC))" but worse, imagine a female Lalafell with RP description "Is actually a male Roegadyn" )

Makes sense and that was my main expectation. I rolled Gilgamesh because it was the "unofficial RP server" with Balmung being a RP legacy server. But Gilgamesh seems to have become a general server with all RP on Balmung, really.

I do agree that character creation shouldn't be locked to players with a character already on the server.

Unfortunately, I don't have a viable solution for this conundum.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, prepare yourselves: MORE HOUSING PLOTS

10+ Year Old Account
    Yay... bet they will sell out within 2 hours again.

Unfortunately, I don't have a viable solution for this conundum.
    Yeah, I didn't really expect one, was just answering your question.

It's still "in the air" anyway, because who knows, maybe blizzard actually shapes up and sorts itself out with Legion and flying and stuff (I went and quit over it, even with purely gameplay reasons aside, it just doesn't make sense, that my Wildhammer's gryphon suddenly forgot how to fly, so it effectively broke the RP for me, so I left until/unless it's back early enough, if it happens at all).

It's still "in the air" anyway, because who knows, maybe blizzard actually shapes up and sorts itself out with Legion and flying and stuff (I went and quit over it, even with purely gameplay reasons aside, it just doesn't make sense, that my Wildhammer's gryphon suddenly forgot how to fly, so it effectively broke the RP for me, so I left until/unless it's back early enough, if it happens at all).
    Well, if your desire was friends on the server (not specifically for RP), there was a possible silver lining ahead, hence my original question.

Maybe see if your friend would be willing to make an alt character on another server so you all could team up and he could run stuff with you. I can sympathize with your conundrum; I was also recruited to this game by a friend who plays on Balmung. Heck he transferred to the server I rolled on originally (Goblin) and went through over the basics with me. After a month of play, I decided I had enjoyed the game enough that I went ahead and paid to transfer.

That doesn't help your dilemma about having alts, though. I don't understand that limitation, either. I wouldn't have alt characters myself (the way the class system works in this game is genius for us alt-class-itis folks), but there are perfectly good reasons people have alt characters.

My alts get to 50 so they can have a private chamber that fits their personality and a proper glamour set to look good! Then they retire to their day to day activities for the Free Company rather than adventuring.

That could work if them playing on Balmung was the only reason, but since the RP one is there as well (maybe even more important one, since if I won't like the game, I won't buy/play it, friends or not, alas), it unfortunately won't. No worries though, as I've said, I didn't really expect anyone to solve it, as the only solution would be SE allowing to roll there, at least with one character on the server.

10+ Year Old Account
    My alts get to 50 so they can have a private chamber that fits their personality and a proper glamour set to look good! Then they retire to their day to day activities for the Free Company rather than adventuring.
    You have actual alts? :O

Can't imagine leveling another character in FF. So much effort to unlock everything again. :X

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post

Can't imagine leveling another character in FF. So much effort to unlock everything again. :X
    I have one at 50 and one at 20. Technically I have a few more all 20 or below that either A. I decided weren't the race I wanted to play when I started or B. I created to play around while a friend got started.

Primarily they're "I want to poke around and waste time, but I've already capped stuff and don't wanna do anything on the main"

Bear in mind, on my main I decided to focus on NIN (PLD is almost 60 too) and I don't do other classes. Whereas playing an alt became sort of like replaying a Final Fantasy again, particularly since the MSQ is pretty much exclusively all you need to level to 50.

The 20 could possibly get pushed up to 50 depending on how I'm feeling during the final month before 3.0 expansion. That's usually when I wind up playing around with alts a bit.

- - - Updated - - -

That could work if them playing on Balmung was the only reason, but since the RP one is there as well (maybe even more important one, since if I won't like the game, I won't buy/play it, friends or not, alas), it unfortunately won't. No worries though, as I've said, I didn't really expect anyone to solve it, as the only solution would be SE allowing to roll there, at least with one character on the server.
    Guilt trip your friend into paying for the server transfer! At least then you can get one character there to see how you like it. (*evil, manipulative, laugh*)

Honestly, though, RP-wise, I think this game is well suited to no-alts. You get so deeply drawn into the story on your main character and you can RP them exploring additional diciplines later or have RP reasons why classes/jobs aren't open for them. A fallen paladin can become a dark knight, for instance, and struggle to hear the elements so they take up astrology rather than conjuring for their healing class.

Playing alts is extremely time consuming. Doing so to keep them leveled and geared (if that's your interest) almost certainly excludes time to roleplay.

This coming from a long time Feathermoon member of one of the oldest RP guilds on the server who had 8 or so alts with backstories and RP time in WoW.
    Last edited by Faroth; 2016-05-11 at 08:45 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bear in mind, on my main I decided to focus on NIN (PLD is almost 60 too) and I don't do other classes.
    Ah okay that explains it.

I'm about to finish the 3rd healer class and then I'll level WAR and PLD to 60.

Only thing I can't be arsed to level are DPS specs. Low level DPS is sooo mega boring. >.<

Honestly, though, RP-wise, I think this game is well suited to no-alts. You get so deeply drawn into the story on your main character and you can RP them exploring additional diciplines later or have RP reasons why classes/jobs aren't open for them. A fallen paladin can become a dark knight, for instance, and struggle to hear the elements so they take up astrology rather than conjuring for their healing class.

Playing alts is extremely time consuming. Doing so to keep them leveled and geared (if that's your interest) almost certainly excludes time to roleplay.
    While that could work, sooner or later there would be situations where the RP concept would require a new character. I don't know FF14's lore (only played a little on trial account), so using WoW's examples, can't exactly use the same character to portray a gnome tinker, and a Draenei vindicator, even if say, I'd have a Draenei paladin with engineering.

As for time consuming, if I'd have "RP alt", they would only need to be geared as much as it's needed to be able to collect transmog gear (I don't remember how FF14 calls it), so likely wouldn't need as much effort as the main character also used for "proper" gameplay. (and I'd only need to level them up as high as it's needed to be able to access the zones I'd RP in with that alt, so possibly not necessarily the max level etc., depending on who would the character be).

Seeing as I wouldn't be able to play on Balmung right now, and possibly I'm not quite done with WoW yet (I don't want to play more than one sub-based MMO, because of how time consuming they tend to be), that's moot point anyway, at least at this time.

10+ Year Old Account

Unlimited characters from one server to another for 20 dollars

Unlike wows what 25? 30? For ONE character

- - - Updated - - -

1) RP is a big part of MMOs for me (big enough to quit/not start playing over it), and as far as I know, Balmung is the "go to" RP server (not an official one like in case of WoW, but regardless).
    2) My friend (whom I met in WoW around WotLK, we used to be in the same guilds through WotLK and part of Cataclysm) plays there (also for RP reasons).

As for transferring, if I'd have to transfer one character, and then would be able to roll new ones there to my heart's content (Which would be quite logical thing to allow, if someone has a character there, I mean, it's not like they can play more than one at the time, on the same account, right? So it wouldn't increase the server queues or load.) then I could go for it, but each and every new one, pass. (I know you can have all classes/jobs on one character, but I would likely want to have more eventually, again because of RP, different races, genders, etc., otherwise I'd end up with something like WoW's "((Not a DK IC))" but worse, imagine a female Lalafell with RP description "Is actually a male Roegadyn" )
    Hmm I have an idea then. Make 8 characters on one server transfer them all over at once then. You can use fantasia(which you get for one month sub) to change race/looks/gender

You Coukdn't change start area/class so get a nice mix

Then you can use name change worst case

Horrible workaround but yeah

- - - Updated - - -

Unless a Jenova happens..still pissed someone bought the plot I was watching fir the whole time right as I logged in

- - - Updated - - -

I have several enough fir a dual account lol

- - - Updated - - -

Welll their is the free trial up to 20

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    /sigh

Why no instanced housing?![1]

I have 12M gil at the moment ... don't even qualify for a fifth class medium plot ... but have "too much" gil for a small plot (like 4x more than required) ... FML

[1] I so want my own island in the Sea of Clouds like that void ark sky pirate dude.

- - - Updated - - -

And yet you tell me,

Level other classes then.
    when I whined that I was bored? -_-
    Internet forums are more for circlejerking (patting each other on the back) than actual discussion (exchange and analysis of information and points of view). Took me long enough to realise ...