Thread: Gtx 1080

Page 24 of 103 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Right now, the 1070 is not going to be available, not even May 27th. Not until June, unless you're willing to buy the Founders Edition, given they're in stock. I imagine that a lot of people will buy them, and stick them on Ebay for inflated prices. If you're looking for a 390X performance, just wait for AMD to release Polaris. By the time the 1070 is actually purchasable, so will Polaris.

For now, the 1070/1080 is a benchmark release. No actually cards will be available.
    1070 release date is June 10th ofc it will not be available on May 27th.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ornerybear View Post
    maybe someone can give me some advice. I'm rocking a 980 ti asus card because my 4k TV and games. I'm building my father a racing simulator setup (to get more practice in on tracks before he races them in real life) and he wants to go Oculus rift for mental immersion instead of triple screens.

Would i be better off using my 980 ti in his VR simulator rig and buying a 1080 for my computer since it is more 4k friendly and I do graphics intensive gaming and he does not?
    The 1080 would be a lot better suited for VR then the 980Ti as it is partially designed with that in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post

- - - Updated - - -

The 1080 would be a lot better suited for VR then the 980Ti as it is partially designed with that in mind.
    that's partially why i asked, thanks a lot for the response...no fair my dad can't have the better card!!! OUTRAGE!!! hahaha

welp dad, happy birthday buddy, you'll have a better system than me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ornerybear View Post
    maybe someone can give me some advice. I'm rocking a 980 ti asus card because my 4k TV and games. I'm building my father a racing simulator setup (to get more practice in on tracks before he races them in real life) and he wants to go Oculus rift for mental immersion instead of triple screens.

Would i be better off using my 980 ti in his VR simulator rig and buying a 1080 for my computer since it is more 4k friendly and I do graphics intensive gaming and he does not?
    Now this is an unpopular position around here, but I would see what AMD is launching next month. They are talk about increasing TAM for VR by offering cards that are good for VR at $349 and under. They'll be making their announcement at the end of this month at a special event in Macau just before Computex and likely releasing the cards at Computex early next month. So I'd wait 3 weeks and at least see what their offerings look like.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Now this is an unpopular position around here, but I would see what AMD is launching next month. They are talk about increasing TAM for VR by offering cards that are good for VR at $349 and under. They'll be making their announcement at the end of this month at a special event in Macau just before Computex and likely releasing the cards at Computex early next month. So I'd wait 3 weeks and at least see what their offerings look like.
    cool thanks for the info. I wont discount AMD for his setup. All he gives a shit about is performance and it always working with little fuss (compatibility). he already has enough debugging to do with his racecar, last thing he needs is to debug his racing simulator ha.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    Thought it was May 27th. Guess it's just the 1080.
    This is something that we've only heard from Nvidia without any explanation as to why. Unless the new Pascal GPU's are like dual core GPU's that are working together on one display, but separate for a dual display like a VR. Really don't know, and would like an explanation.

it was explained why 1000 series are better in VBR

viewpoints related or something like that

I have no reason to doubt its VR performance

10+ Year Old Account
    That's delivering two images (each eye) in a single pass as opposed to two. It should help with frame pacing but doesn't really mean much outside of that as far as I understand. Overall latency is something that they need to work on as Maxwell even lags behind Skylake IGPUs. Improving VR by 2x from Maxwell isn't as big as it seems relative to where it was to begin with.

Deleted
    When's the 1080ti going to be released? Before Christmas, or later? I'm wondering if I should wait or buy SLI 1080.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, comparing VR performance to Maxwell doesn't tell much because Maxwell is terrible at it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post
    it was explained why 1000 series are better in VBR

viewpoints related or something like that

I have no reason to doubt its VR performance
    I'm sure someone like AdoredTV will explain it. I certainly can't find any info on it.

10+ Year Old Account
    To be perfectly honest I'm a little disappointing in the 1080. I was really hoping that the 1080 would be a single GPU solution to 4k / ultra / 60fps. While I knew in my heart of hearts that it was too much to expect... well... I was hoping.

My 970 is showing no signs of slowing down at 1080p; but I was wanting to upgrade to 4k during my comp's midlife GPU upgrade which is fast approaching.

My only hope this year now appears to lay with team red. Which I know I shouldn't expect what I'm wanting. But I can always hope.
    I sat alone in the dark one night, tuning in by remote.
    I found a preacher who spoke of the light, but there was Brimstone in his throat.
    He'd show me the way, according to him, in return for my personal check.
    I flipped my channel back to CNN and lit another cigarette.

Quote Originally Posted by ovm33 View Post
    To be perfectly honest I'm a little disappointing in the 1080. I was really hoping that the 1080 would be a single GPU solution to 4k / ultra / 60fps. While I knew in my heart of hearts that it was too much to expect... well... I was hoping.

My 970 is showing no signs of slowing down at 1080p; but I was wanting to upgrade to 4k during my comp's midlife GPU upgrade which is fast approaching.

My only hope this year now appears to lay with team red. Which I know I shouldn't expect what I'm wanting. But I can always hope.
    How are you disappointed, the 1080 has yet to be benched properly yet. It takes for sure results to be disappointed at something.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigvizz View Post
    How are you disappointed, the 1080 has yet to be benched properly yet. It takes for sure results to be disappointed at something.
    From what Nvidia themselves said it is 25% faster than Titan X, hence not fast enough for single GPU 4k, at least not for the games with bad ports(which is the most of AAA titles).
    Last edited by mrgreenthump; 2016-05-12 at 04:28 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    From what Nvidia themselves said it is 25% faster than Titan X, hence not fast enough for single GPU 4k, at least not for the games with bad ports(which is the most of AAA titles).
    Also if you consider that 25% is a best case scenario. Cause it's not like Nvidia is going to tell you that it plays Fallout 4 just 10% faster than a 980, but in Project Cars it's actually 25% faster.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.mobipicker.com/nvidia-gtx...hmarks-leaked/

Looks like in general better than any damn 10-25% ;P

Quote Originally Posted by ovm33 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    Alright, his expectation were unrealistic, but still doesn't change the fact that the 1080 has not been tested properly at 4k or any other resolution. It's a wait and see game, it's best save your disappointment or surprise when the card is tested.

Quote Originally Posted by kensai666 View Post
    When's the 1080ti going to be released? Before Christmas, or later? I'm wondering if I should wait or buy SLI 1080.
    Definitely 2017, maybe around this time....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wries View Post
    http://www.mobipicker.com/nvidia-gtx...hmarks-leaked/

Looks like in general better than any damn 10-25% ;P
    Sorry, that was confirmed fake long ago. There have been real videos leaked on YouTube showing the cards working, and Nvidia is super fast to catch them and have them taken down.

Besides the ridiculous 100% increase in frame rate, as people have mentioned Dark Souls 3 is locked at 60fps. No DS3fix yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    I really hope AMD does something special. Personally I don't want to deal with Nivida but Price+Performance will always win in my book.

Can't wait for digital foundry to release there benchmarks for these cards.
    Nvidia to me is becoming what Intel was like back in the day, I always stuck with AMD on processors, but it got to a point where it was a no brainer to got for an intel chip for an extra say 20% price with over 50% performance increase.

I'm currently on AMD but Nvidia to me is shining recently, and AMD seems to be sticking with yes cheap cards but a massive performance drop compared to Nvidia cards for and extra 20% on the price. They both have a place don't get me wrong.

I might upgrade this year for a VR setup, what's the timeline looking like on processors in terms of the last one launched and any new ones coming out? If I'm not gimping myself on processors by upgrading this summer I might pickup a 1080 and a Vive/Occulus, but I'm not sure on the situation with processors. I built my last PC myself but as you can see by my specs that was in 2011 (with a later GPU upgrade to 670), and I haven't followed shit other than yearly window shopping on graphics cards.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4