Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Dendrek View Post
    Scientists are more likely liberal than not. So I'm not sure why you'd think you'll find right wing physics majors on these forums.
    I would assume the whole science vs God thing would have more scientist leaning away from the party with a strong affinity for religion. But some scientist have money, so...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    How large can rogue planets be actually, or is there limit? Could a solar system the size of ours capture rogue planet the size of Jupiter without getting utterly fucked?
    They can be huge. "Utterly f'ked" isn't going to happen, unless we deal with a rogue planet in the shape of a black hole or something. At worst, all the planets will just rearrange themselves. No one on those planets is going to feel anything wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd imagine it would throw some smaller planets away from the solar system.
    It could, but it also could have the opposite effect. This was one of my undergrad projects: I simulated Solar system (the Sun + all planets) and studied how comets coming from the outside affect the system's behavior. Small or very fast comets didn't affect anything much, but large comets going at the speed comparable to that of planets rotating around the Sun would either tear Pluto off the system, making it drift away from it, or pull it closer to the Sun - depending on at what time the comet passed near it.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

10+ Year Old Account

slightly outdated on the regard of gravitational waves.

But still good explained.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

How large can rogue planets be actually, or is there limit? Could a solar system the size of ours capture rogue planet the size of Jupiter without getting utterly fucked?
    Size wise? not more than ~ Jupiter. What you care about though is its mass, and mass wise it can't be larger than ~40-80 Jupiter mass (above this its not a "planet" anymore). If this kind of object gets trapped in Solar system than yes it will probably "fuck it up" in few cycles kicking few planets (depends on which orbit it gets trapped, more dmg in closer orbits). The sun itself will barely notice it as a planet highest mass is still only 8% of the sun mass (yes the sun is NOT a "typical" star - it is actually quite massive).

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    "Right-wing" and "liberal" aren't mutually exclusive, contrary to popular belief.
    There are different types of liberal ideologies and different types of ideologies that the right wing encompasses. And within these subsets of ideologies there is some room for overlap (socially liberal and economically conservative, for example). So what you've said is technically true. However, very few people would actually identify as liberal and right wing -- they'd be more likely to say that neither group represents them. So while "liberal" and "right wing" may not be mutually exclusive, as far as self-identification is concerned, they pretty much are.