Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadion View Post
    Considering light takes around 8 minutes to reach the Earth from the Sun, I don't think that'll work...
    http://image.gsfc.nasa.gov/poetry/venus/q89.html
    You know, I've always wondered, if the sun just instantly vanished, fwoosh, would it take us 8 minutes to notice, or would shit hit the fan before that dues to the lack of any sort of gravitational coherency in the solar system.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsubodia View Post
    not sure if serious.. or major troll...
    Not troll just understand physics a bit better.

Quote Originally Posted by Holas View Post
    In the future when we can travel as fast as we want we could explore all the stars we want. Yes there is a down side - on earth the time will pass "faster" and depending on the distance we will travel, there might not be an earth to return to.
    RIP Interstellar mathmethics

Quote Originally Posted by Seiko Sora View Post
    C is 299792458 metres per second, takes 4 years to get to the nearest star
    4 years from an external reference point right? At the speed of light, from the reference point of the thing moving that fast, isn't it instantaneous?

Quote Originally Posted by Mifuyne View Post
    Must be a troll since it is one of the most basic things people should know.
    Please let it be a troll otherwise our future is fucked.
    Ignorance doesn't make you correct. The fact "most" people are ignorant or don't understand basic private relativity doesn't means that the ones that do understand are "troll".

Ignorance doesn't make you correct. The fact "most" people are ignorant or don't understand basic private relativity doesn't means that the ones that do understand are "troll".
    You don't say...

10+ Year Old Account
    Perhaps your post should have been more detailed

A light year means that it takes a year to reach your destination when you are going at light speed.
    This "year" doesn't change.
    might be wrong, if true == rip my thoughts

Check post numebr 20.

- - - Updated - - -

Check post numebr 20.

A light year means that it takes a year to reach your destination when you are going at light speed.
    Yes, it does. That's the whole thing about relativity. It takes one year for an external reference frame. From the reference frame of the thing moving, it's instantaneous.

might be wrong, if true == rip my thoughts
    You are wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    If there's something I'm missing you'd better explain... The way I understand it, is that light has a certain speed. 299792458 meters per second, according to @Seiko Sora's post. Now, even at this speed, it still takes light 8 minutes and 20 seconds to reach the Earth from the Sun.

Let's imagine for a moment, that you are stood on the Sun (and somehow you survive the extreme heat and pressure and gravity etc forces that act upon you), and you can travel to where you know the Earth is (it doesn't matter how you know this, just assume you are correct for the sake of argument). And you travel to this location where the Earth is, at just slightly over the speed of light... Even if you could shave 20 seconds off the traveling time, you miss the Earth since it is moving as well, orbiting the Sun. How can travelling at the speed of light then instantly make things jump towards you? Time doesn't actually stand still while you move at the speed of light- unless I'm missing something. This is based on only high school physics, so please give me further education if you can better explain it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    Yes, it does. That's the whole thing about relativity. It takes one year for an external reference frame. From the reference frame of the thing moving, it's instantaneous.
    instantaneous. really. Ok...

When someone with even slightest knowledge in physics that doesn't get his info from forums, I might come back to this.

In OUR frame. Yes it is. We are not talking on our frame. Lets say there is a star 100 light years away.
    How long it takes to reach it in OUR frame? easy :100 years at around the speed of light.

Now lets ask how long it took the people to go there. Now it depends on the actual velocity because the distance will shrink as you go faster so if you can go as fast as you want (but less than light speed) in YOUR frame the distance could be 1 km and then you will reach it in a matter of sec.

In the future when we can travel as fast as we want we could explore all the stars we want. Yes there is a down side - on earth the time will pass "faster" and depending on the distance we will travel, there might not be an earth to return to.
    There's actually insufficient experimentation of Length Contraction to confirm this hypothesis. And there's very little consensus on how it works or whether or not it's merely illusory in nature.

You could be right. But you could be wrong.

Deleted
    In OUR frame. Yes it is. We are not talking on our frame. Lets say there is a star 100 light years away.
    How long it takes to reach it in OUR frame? easy :100 years at around the speed of light.

Now lets ask how long it took the people to go there. Now it depends on the actual velocity because the distance will shrink as you go faster so if you can go as fast as you want (but less than light speed) in YOUR frame the distance could be 1 km and then you will reach it in a matter of sec.

you appear to be confusing time dilation with actual speed. C is a constant it doesn't change

so going 100 light years at C is still 100 years to the traveller. to the observer, time dilation effects kick in which is why if you went 50ly away then 50ly back at C more than 100years would have passed on earth

If there's something I'm missing you'd better explain... The way I understand it, is that light has a certain speed. 299792458 meters per second, according to @Seiko Sora's post. Now, even at this speed, it still takes light 8 minutes and 20 seconds to reach the Earth from the Sun.

Let's imagine for a moment, that you are stood on the Sun (and somehow you survive the extreme heat and pressure and gravity etc forces that act upon you), and you can travel to where you know the Earth is (it doesn't matter how you know this, just assume you are correct for the sake of argument). And you travel to this location where the Earth is, at just slightly over the speed of light... Even if you could shave 20 seconds off the traveling time, you miss the Earth since it is moving as well, orbiting the Sun. How can travelling at the speed of light then instantly make things jump towards you? Time doesn't actually stand still while you move at the speed of light- unless I'm missing something. This is based on only high school physics, so please give me further education if you can better explain it.
    8 minutes from an external reference frame.

10+ Year Old Account
    The topic of time dilation is far more complicated than assuming what goes for a standard "year" on earth is true everywhere in the universe, but when a vessel is observed from earth, yes it wouldn't change.

7+ Year Old Account
    TBF one would need to predict the relative position of the Earth, not the aparent one.

But he is actually talking about PoV time perception.

If you where at the sun and bursted at the speed of the light towards the aparent position of the earth, the travel would appears instantaneous (Or something like that) to you, but after reaching your destination, the earth would not be in the same place. Firstly because the aparent position of the Earth from the sun is already delayed by 8 minutes and secondly because of the relative travel time.
    Last edited by Nerdgasm; 2016-05-13 at 12:18 PM.

Deleted

its all to do how we percieve "time" we measure time primarily based on light

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    The topic of time dilation is far more complicated than assuming what goes for a standard "year" on earth is true everywhere in the universe, but when a vessel is observed from earth, yes it wouldn't change.
    Isn't a particle that is going at/near the speed of light being observed? meaning it would still take X amount of years.
    It might take 100 years as the particle observes it, even longer for us on earth.