Thread: Stellaris

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Any path into the mid/late game other than the player being expected to take initiative and engage in wholesale conquest seems to be a bit underdeveloped at this point. If the game sells well (by paradox standards it seems to be doing just that given steamspy) they'll flesh out most things via DLC, but for now anything but a warlike playstyle will probably lead to boredom further in.

There's fun to be had with Stellaris, but there's definitely issues for certain play-styles, especially given how these end game crisis events will force players to gear for war to a high degree no matter what if they want to stand a chance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can confirm.

On my 3rd game, abandoned the first two because they felt hopeless and I didn't understand how to get out of the corner I was backed into, I played as an absolute dick and empires are falling at my knees.

The only thing keeping me in check this game, and barely, are the two Fallen Empires on my flanks. I just put embassys in both of them. Meanwhile I've enslaved an entire species, integrated one, made vassals out of 2 others, say 1 split partly due to me, and I'm currently splitting one of the strongest alliances down the middle.

- - - Updated - - -

Can confirm.

On my 3rd game, abandoned the first two because they felt hopeless and I didn't understand how to get out of the corner I was backed into, I played as an absolute dick and empires are falling at my knees.

The only thing keeping me in check this game, and barely, are the two Fallen Empires on my flanks. I just put embassys in both of them. Meanwhile I've enslaved an entire species, integrated one, made vassals out of 2 others, say 1 split partly due to me, and I'm currently splitting one of the strongest alliances down the middle.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

:/

This has to be bug of some sort.... or at least very bad mechanics. It is yet again the battle formation thing I mentioned earlier, if anyone remembers.

I started a war and sent my fleet to the first planet I wanted to get. The fleet consists of ~200 ships. I attacked the nearby enemy spaceport so I could start bombarding the planet and send my droid army down. Ok... good so far. Then everything went weird. My battleships stopped again far behind rest of the fleet and just sent out their tiny fighters. Rest of the fleet continued forward, but stopped at just so close that out of those few hundred ships only perhaps one or two were even at range to shoot a few missiles. Therefore my over 20k power fleet worked only at efficieny of perhas 200-300 power since I believe the few ships that could attack were my small destroyers.

Fuck this shit. I'm not playing this game anymore until I can fix that.

Here is a picture of the situation. See that lone missile next to the spacestation? Soo how many ships there are? Why don't the do anything?
    http://images.akamai.steamuserconten...4FD983E01AE44/
    Last edited by Morae; 2016-05-13 at 02:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Morae View Post
    :/

This has to be bug of some sort.... or at least very bad mechanics. It is yet again the battle formation thing I mentioned earlier, if anyone remembers.

I started a war and sent my fleet to the first planet I wanted to get. The fleet consists of ~200 ships. I attacked the nearby enemy spaceport so I could start bombarding the planet and send my droid army down. Ok... good so far. Then everything went weird. My battleships stopped again far behind rest of the fleet and just sent out their tiny fighters. Rest of the fleet continued forward, but stopped at just so close that out of those few hundred ships only perhaps one or two were even at range to shoot a few missiles. Therefore my over 20k power fleet worked only at efficieny of perhas 200-300 power since I believe the few ships that could attack were my small destroyers.

Fuck this shit. I'm not playing this game anymore until I can fix that.

Here is a picture of the situation. See that lone missile next to the spacestation? Soo how many ships there are? Why don't the do anything?
    http://images.akamai.steamuserconten...4FD983E01AE44/
    I stopped using missiles when my all battleship fleets started to run into the same problem. stick to similar ranges across all ships and don't use missiles.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Its missiles that cause this?

Any workaround? It takes ages to change my ship weapons. My railgun weapons and missiles are very high tech, but my laser tech is much lower.

Damn... maybe I should just start a new game. With proper stuff. Knowing what works and what doesn't.

Any workaround? It takes ages to change my ship weapons. My railgun weapons and missiles are very high tech, but my laser tech is much lower.

Damn... maybe I should just start a new game. With proper stuff. Knowing what works and what doesn't.
    I don't know if there is a workaround. I just started noticing it when I build ships with lots of torpedos and had no issues when I switched to no missiles and just Lances (high tech lasers).

And yes, upgrading large fleets takes forever!
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

10+ Year Old Account
    Its possible the ranges of weapons and ship spacing have something to do with it, there's a mechanic known as combat width in use in other paradox games (eu4 wiki can explain that concept better than me), its never explicitly stated but its possible something similar is at play here. Don't have nearly enough experience in stellaris to tell for sure though, so take this as pure speculation.

In other paradox games its mostly there to combat the effectiveness of just using doomstacks instead of multiple armies.

If its a bug, do post about your issue in the paradox bug report forum just to be sure so they'll have a look at it.
    Last edited by zealo; 2016-05-13 at 03:26 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

I've found that Railgun projectiles are nearly impossible to see, so actually they might still be firing. Apart from the battleships at the back, they don't make sense.

One way to check what weapons are being fired would be to look at the combat dialog and check how much damage for each type you are doing or hovering over the reticule which represents your overall aim. While hovering over it with your mouse it shows the aim for each weapon you are using individually.

I don't think they are firing even the railguns. I took that screenshot after rather lengthy time watching that shit. It should have been obliterated in moments. All I see one or two missiles shot every few seconds. I do not even hear the railgun sound.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    If its a bug, do post about your issue in the paradox bug report forum just to be sure so they'll have a look at it.
    I thought about that, but their forum is a mess. I have made accounts, synced what games I have, ect. and I still can't post in the forums. :I

I give up.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Any path into the mid/late game other than the player being expected to take initiative and engage in wholesale conquest seems to be a bit underdeveloped at this point. If the game sells well (by paradox standards it seems to be doing just that given steamspy) they'll flesh out most things via DLC, but for now anything but a warlike playstyle will probably lead to boredom further in.

There's fun to be had with Stellaris, but there's definitely issues for certain play-styles, especially given how these end game crisis events will force players to gear for war to a high degree no matter what if they want to stand a chance.
    I don't see that as a problem, you can't rule a huge empire without a force to protect it - that would be rather silly. If anything, I'd actually like to see a much more aggressive AI and much more rebellions and all that. Endless Legend and CiV for example actually suffer from "peace victory conditions" and the poor AI that comes along with it, they won't even declare war on you when you are about to reach a victory condition. It's why the Multiplayer is so much more fun, you need to have a huge army, no matter what you are trying to do.
    Last edited by mmoc96d9238e4b; 2016-05-13 at 04:26 PM.

I don't think they are firing even the railguns. I took that screenshot after rather lengthy time watching that shit. It should have been obliterated in moments. All I see one or two missiles shot every few seconds. I do not even hear the railgun sound.
    Yeah, there are some bugs with stations sometimes. I've had fleets of long-ranged ships engage stations in combat, only to simply sit there, at the distance they engaged combat at, doing absolutely nothing.

Dunno what causes it. Haven't encountered it enough to try to test and find out.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

I have a problem.

My fleet is... large. At least to me it seems large. It has never been this large. Naval capacity is ~300.

Now... my neighbors have become aggressive. Luckily with each other and not me. Even my federation pulled me into a war. My energy storage is always at maximum with something like +50 each month (nearly 100, if I put all my sectors produce extra energy). This is during peace. Why I keep it that high excess is that whenever I start moving my fleet, it starts burning my energy storage. I simply can't survive long wars. My energy storage starts to burn down like -100 each month. I need to be able to move my fleet or it is useless! Yet, I can't think of ways to get more energy. I have been planning to terraform planets so I can colonize them and build power plants, but this is rather inefficient and slow. Can you build colony ships that have genetically modified pops in them? I kind of need help.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a problem.

My fleet is... large. At least to me it seems large. It has never been this large. Naval capacity is ~300.

Now... my neighbors have become aggressive. Luckily with each other and not me. Even my federation pulled me into a war. My energy storage is always at maximum with something like +50 each month (nearly 100, if I put all my sectors produce extra energy). This is during peace. Why I keep it that high excess is that whenever I start moving my fleet, it starts burning my energy storage. I simply can't survive long wars. My energy storage starts to burn down like -100 each month. I need to be able to move my fleet or it is useless! Yet, I can't think of ways to get more energy. I have been planning to terraform planets so I can colonize them and build power plants, but this is rather inefficient and slow. Can you build colony ships that have genetically modified pops in them? I kind of need help.
    You could think about splitting your fleet and only using the whole thing when you truly need it to crush your enemy. That should keep the energy hit a fair bit down. Otherwise look for tech that increases your energy storage. Bigger stockpile -> longer wars.

If all else fails replace some mining networks or labs with power plants to increase your output even further. Another thing you could do to increase your output is to specialize your planets and make the most use out of the 10% planet energy building.

10+ Year Old Account
    Moving fleets depletes energy? Didn't know that.

Colony ships take on characteristics of the planet they are from.
    Don't spam satellites
    Upgrade your power plants
    Make sure you're not running food surpluses on planets because that's power you're not collecting.
    Solar collectors are OP. Build them at your starports
    Add uninhabited planets to your sectors too. I believe the sector pays for the maintenance.
    Invest into your sectors so they can develop.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you are having an issue with fleets not utilizing their weapons. It's caused by the hotfix patch. Easiest way to fix it is change something on your ships. Shield to armour and upgrade their designs. It'll reset them and they will work properly.

I have a problem.

I'm at the same point you are in the game. I've just decided to turn a couple 18 title planets into nothing but energy production.

Some other things people haven't mentioned

~ capacity overload edict gives a 15% energy credit modifier for a planet for 10 years
    ~ power hubs give a 10% energy credit modifier for a planet(can be upgraded for even more)
    ~ galactic stock exchange gives a 10% energy credit modifier for your empire
    ~ there's also an admiral trait for a 15% reduction in fleet upkeep
    Last edited by slayer1919; 2016-05-14 at 02:21 AM.

So I started a new game cause I felt I messed too much in the first one, and first thing I know is that 6h has passed.. this is so addictive. Still think I mess up by not knowing what to research in priority and all, but I have a blast.

10+ Year Old Account
    #Firstempireproblems

Planets are becoming habitable faster than I can colonize them.

I've been using sectors to build my colony ships but colony ships built via sectors don't show up in the menu on the right side of the screen...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    #Firstempireproblems

Planets are becoming habitable faster than I can colonize them.

I've been using sectors to build my colony ships but colony ships built via sectors don't show up in the menu on the right side of the screen...
    In my "enslave every race I find" multiplayer game, i've been using other races to colonise planets, and since all my other races are in sectors, building the colony ships is a mega pain, i've resorted to using a note pad and pen to keep track of them.

Sectors really do need a lot of work, I feel my Empire would be running much smoother, and i'd be much further ahead of the other players, if the sector AI would actually build up from the base buildings, like I set a Sector to research focus, but it never builds up from the basic research lab.

Deleted
    I have a problem.

Which FTL costs energy? It's not the Wormhole Station one, is it? (other than normal maintenance)
    Last edited by mmoc96d9238e4b; 2016-05-14 at 08:50 AM.