Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    Yes stories are silenced by people like you all the time. I never said Facebook specifically was silencing stories, I was answering Tennisace's question.
    You seem to have a persecution complex, and keep trying to make this about me for some reason. It's weird.

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    Outspoken leftist supports left leaning bias in social media, news at 11.
    There's no such "bias", unless you artificially move the "center" to the right to begin with.

Here's a hint; the US Democratic Party is a group of moderates, some lean slightly left, more lean slightly right. If you're putting the "center" between the Democrats and the Republicans, you're the one establishing bias, by shifting that center.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap;40311012[B
    Facebook is the only source of news for many people[/B]..
    Then who cares, If you're dense enough to use facebook for "news", then no one will respect your political opinion in the first place. So does it really matter if its conservative or liberal?

Doubt it ~

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    Why aren't Jihadis being invited to make recruitment videos on national televisions then? If bad ideas need to be brought up to the public.
    Most of them are not willing to go on TV as it would be really easy to incriminate themselves in regard to terrorism. Anjem Choudary is the only example I can think of who knows how to manage it without directly crossing the line.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    I get a kick about this one. It is for a function that almost nobody uses...
    That is, as sad as it is, not correct.
    http://www.journalism.org/2016/02/04...-hard-to-miss/
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    You seem to have a persecution complex, and keep trying to make this about me for some reason. It's weird.
    Where did I say or imply I was persecuted? I was responding to your message, if you don't want to be specifically addressed, then don't click "Reply With Quote".
    Last edited by PC2; 2016-05-13 at 04:07 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes stories are silenced by people like you all the time.
    Consequently Endus is to be blamed for the lack of Breitbart and Newsmax on the FB trending news column?

That's interesting.
    Dayum, I learn something new on this place here every day.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Consequently Endus is to be blamed for the lack of Breitbart and Newsmax on the FB trending news column?
    I never said that, but yes the relevant people would have a similar disdain of allowing opposing viewpoints and free expression.

I don't think people understand what far-left extremism looks like.
    While I tend to agree that certain cultures are radically unaware of what it is (N.America), I think the internet is sufficiently varied and far reaching that it's not only incredibly easy to find those that have experienced it themselves, but it also becomes trivial to understand it.

artificially moved the "center"
    As opposed to naturally moving it. /smh

10+ Year Old Account
    It's wrong because bad ideas need to see the light of day to be properly argued against. Silencing opposing ideas does not lead to improvement. More speech is good, suppression is bad.

Better to just suppress these extremists.

There's no such "bias", unless you artificially move the "center" to the right to begin with.

Here's a hint; the US Democratic Party is a group of moderates, some lean slightly left, more lean slightly right. If you're putting the "center" between the Democrats and the Republicans, you're the one establishing bias, by shifting that center.
    So the center has to be the same in every country, as defined by Canadia? I don't think so. Look, there are leftish and rightish positions for every issue, in every nation. Saying that everyone on one side is extreme is exactly what you are doing, while accusing someone else of moving the center. These are subjective terms. Assuming how you interpret them is how they are interpreted everywhere is pretty biased. Everyone in the US, when discussing US politics at least, sees the center as the common ground between our two parties.

Also, I love how all these posters proclaim there is no Facebook bias, even though there is enough there for their founder to not only investigate, but to also publicly announce the investigation. But you know, random people on the internet probably know more than him about his company, right?

It's pretty smart business though, to announce the investigation, considering the ongoing twitter scandal involving the exact same "censor" bias. (censor in quotes because private companies have the right to censor)

I think this is all probably tied to the "lawsuit" by that Crowder guy, or whatever you call it when you use the courts to demand information and action. He claims they were not only suppressing his posts, but also deleting them, all while he is paying them to push them.
    Last edited by Tijuana; 2016-05-13 at 04:49 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    What's wrong with suppressing racist and xenophobic news stories?
    Suppressing and silencing viewpoints is never good. Disagreeing and ultimately never implementing policy of a bigoted xenophobic minority is a good way to deal with it, but never silencing.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    So the center has to be the same in every country, as defined by Canadia?
    The left and right wings in politics are objectively defined, not subjectively. That's the entire point. It's entirely possible for all political parties of a country to be right (or left) wing. The US is nearly there; the playing field has been shifting right for decades.

Otherwise, you could argue that anyone but the most extreme right-wing candidates are all "left-wing", because they're to the left of that extremist. While simultaneously saying that anyone to the right of anarcho-communists are "right-wing". Both views are contradictory, but that's the argument you are supporting.

It's wrong, because the left/right dynamic is objectively determined. The Democrats aren't a left-wing party; they're moderates. Some members (like Bernie Sanders) lean left, some (like Clinton) lean right.
    Last edited by Endus; 2016-05-13 at 04:57 PM.

The left and right wings in politics are objectively defined, not subjectively. That's the entire point. It's entirely possible for all political parties of a country to be right (or left) wing. The US is nearly there; the playing field has been shifting right for decades.
    So, an entire nation is wrong about their own politics but you are right? The way I define it is how all Americans define it. But, 350 million people are wrong and Endus knows better?

I mean, I get your point, regarding the total spectrum. But the nuance you are missing is how real people define things in their own little worlds on a daily basis. By your definition, no country has a left that is not Communist.
    Last edited by Tijuana; 2016-05-13 at 04:59 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    So, an entire nation is wrong about their own politics but you are right? The way I define it is how all Americans define it. But, 350 million people are wrong and Endus knows better?
    You're confusing "the American left" with "left-wing". Two different things. Which is sort of the entire point I was making.

10+ Year Old Account
    All I ever see on Facebook are stupid conservative meme's that are almost always 100% false. IMO, Facebook needs to a do a better job filtering out that conservative garbage.

Eat yo vegetables

10+ Year Old Account
    PR guy says PR stuff. Super exciting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretending for a moment that he's posting in good faith, Primary is likely simply manifesting something that's been trending on the social/political right for some time now (a couple years, roughly, I think) - the inability (or at least the pretense of inability) to discern the difference between the freedom to hold particular opinions or beliefs, and forcing those opinions on others in some fashion.

To use an example vaguely relevant to the board, it's the difference between "I think Warcraft is great" and "Everyone must play Warcraft, because its great" that they affect not to notice. And once you've internalized that those two statements (or something like them) are equivalent (they aren't, but that seems to be what happens), then in that fractured worldview "your refusal to provide me with a platform for my ideas, unwillingness to seriously consider or adopt my ideas" becomes equivalent to "you are actively preventing me from expressing my ideas", when in reality they're perfectly free to express their thoughts, they're just not free to forces others to listen or conform.
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

Because (I think) most countries that have internet access and aren't totally 3rd world countries are quite leftist.
    Who wants to live in the stone age revering some magical man anyhow.

No matter what side you take on this issue, you have to agree that "Facebook investigating Facebook to find wrongdoing" is pretty stupid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    All I ever see on Facebook are stupid conservative meme's that are almost always 100% false. IMO, Facebook needs to a do a better job filtering out that conservative garbage.

I'm sure you meant to link that as an example of the misinformation, so allow me to provide a link explaining WHY that image is a giant pile of obvious and egregious lies; http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2016...ail&link_id=9&
    Last edited by Endus; 2016-05-13 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Changed link to original DailyKos source