Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jahaga View Post
    Yeah, I got that. You assume banned players are willing to lose their progress by buying a new copy and making a new account. They're more likely to return after the ban period.
    They'll have to buy a new copy if they're perma banned (more money and subs immediately). They don't subscribe and pay for a subscription with a temp suspension (no money to Blizzard for 6/18 months).

So it is "strange" from a financial point that they chose temp bans over perma bans in WoW. I'm still wondering why you think it isn't strange.

I was perma banned back in December of last year for my first offense, right before they did the second ban wave of honor buddy users. I didn't use Honorbuddy, I used a fishing bot for roughly 4 hours over the course of three days. It's funny, had I been using Honor buddy, botting in PvP, I would have gotten a 6 month ban. But I guess too many players were doing that to perma ban them.
    Last edited by Treys; 2016-05-14 at 03:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by xcureanddisease View Post
    Wanna know why WoW only gives temp bans and Overwatch has a 1 time policy? Because TEMP bans keeps players paying $$$$$$$$$ and Overwatch doesn't have a monthly subscription; ergo 1st offense ban = get banned players to pay for overwatch again.

Its all about the fking dollars
    Yea, because perma banning someone in WoW and having them repurchase the game and continue subscribing is way less money than them simply resubscribing when the suspension is over.

How can we all forget the famous X+15<15 where X>1 theorem of how much games cost.

I also forgot that when you get banned from D3 and Overwatch, you can get a free copy to keep playing so that you don't end up spending more money. /s
    "So my advice is to argue based on the reasons stated, not try to make up or guess at reasons and argue those."
    Greg Street, Riot Developer - 12:50 PM - 25 May 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Treys View Post
    I was perma banned back in December of last year for my first offense, right before they did the second ban wave of honor buddy users. I didn't use Honorbuddy, I used a fishing bot for roughly 4 hours over the course of three days. It's funny, had I been using Honor buddy, botting in PvP, I would have gotten a 6 month ban. But I guess too many players were doing that to perma ban them.
    That's just Blizzard being tough on crime, buddy.

Yes, because cheaters are scum. Sorry, no sympathy from me. I remember in Star Wars Galaxies people were finding out how to credit dupe and it pretty much screwed the economy in the game for months. MMOs are on a different level when someone cheats, mainly because it's more widespread. You go into a game of Call of Duty, someone is cheating, you just leave the game and chances are you won't run into that person again, in an MMO you're pretty much stuck with that person on a server.

Botting is a wishy washy thing though. The only thing I'll let slide is fishing, but even than that's something that can affect the server economy. Someone who goes AFK and just gets a butt load of fish for the night to throw on the AH just screws with everything, but on the other hand fishing is just so damn boring that people have gone to botting because of how the mechanic is. As for anything else, such as bots in BGs, they can go.
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."

Quote Originally Posted by xcureanddisease View Post
    Wanna know why WoW only gives temp bans and Overwatch has a 1 time policy? Because TEMP bans keeps players paying $$$$$$$$$ and Overwatch doesn't have a monthly subscription; ergo 1st offense ban = get banned players to pay for overwatch again.

Its all about the fking dollars
    Actually that would be bad financially to temporarily ban in wow compared to permanently ban. Get permanently banned, buy new account, start over and continue where you left off. Temporary ban research shows keeps people away during the ban time because most don't want a second account. So for each temporary banned account there is 6 to 18 months of now income from said account.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    Actually that would be bad financially to temporarily ban in wow compared to permanently ban. Get permanently banned, buy new account, start over and continue where you left off. Temporary ban research shows keeps people away during the ban time because most don't want a second account. So for each temporary banned account there is 6 to 18 months of now income from said account.
    Research? Show me this research. Dont copy and paste a blue post. I want to see your research.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    A permanent ban for cheating would be fine. Not too harsh at all.
    It's a great deterrent too. From my experience of course. >

Deleted
    I have no sympathy for cheaters, but I consider a 6/12 months ban long enough.

If the policy is in place before hand then I have zero issue.

In most cases cheating - is problem, that isn't caused by players - this problem is caused by game developers themselves. So don't blame players for cheating - blame Blizzard. Why? You know, when cheating usually happens? When player is focused on reward - not gaming process itself. He want reward, but don't want to play the game to obtain it. That means, he is trying to do content, that doesn't suit him. And why he tries to do content, that doesn't suit him? 1) There is no/not enough other content for him (including lack of appropriate difficulty level - in most cases cheating is being used cuz game is too hard for said player) 2) Mandatory exclusive reward, he wants, is being gated by this content. There are two solutions of this problem: 1) More optional alternative kinds of content for different kinds of players (including difficulty levels) - no "forced" content, no removal of choices in favour of some groups of players 2) Universal reward system - no exclusive mandatory rewards 3) Stop listening to players, who think that the only right way to develop game - is to make in suitable for them only, especially when they're minority and ask to remove features, that suit other players, to force them to play the way, that favours this minority.

Garrisons - are nice try to make game more suitable for players, who don't prefer lots of grind. Garrisons were implemented to counter botters and gold sellers, who were exploiting the fact, that major ways of making gold, including some professions, are too grindy for ordinal players.
    Last edited by WowIsDead64; 2016-05-14 at 11:51 AM.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    In most cases cheating - is problem, that isn't caused by players - this problem is caused by game developers themselves. So don't blame players for cheating - blame Blizzard. Why? You know, when cheating usually happens? When player is focused on reward - not gaming process itself. He want reward, but don't want to play the game to obtain it. That means, he is trying to do content, that doesn't suit him. And why he tries to do content, that doesn't suit him? 1) There is no/not enough other content for him (including lack of appropriate difficulty level - in most cases cheating is being used cuz game is too hard for said player) 2) Mandatory exclusive reward, he wants, is being gated by this content. There are two solutions of this problem: 1) More optional alternative kinds of content for different kinds of players (including difficulty levels) - no "forced" content, no removal of choices in favour of some groups of players 2) Universal reward system - no exclusive mandatory rewards 3) Stop listening to players, who think that the only right way to develop game - is to make in suitable for them only, especially when they're minority.

Garrisons - are nice try to make game more suitable for players, who don't prefer lots of grind. Garrisons were implemented to counter botters and gold sellers, who were exploiting the fact, that major ways of making gold, including some professions, are too grindy for ordinal players.
    Nice try but still the player who choose to cheat fault. If something isn't to ones liking guess what? Don't do it. We have a choice in a game like this what to and what to not do. No one has to do everything especially if they don't like it. Blaming it on the developers is making an excuse for cheating and that is wrong period but really nice try.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe it comes down to severity.

Cheating in Overwatch would always affect other players in a constant way. Aimbots and such.

Doing something like botting in WoW to pick herbs, whilst still dickish, doesn't have an immediate or any lasting damage on other players.

Quote Originally Posted by Jewsco View Post
    Nice try but still the player who choose to cheat fault. If something isn't to ones liking guess what? Don't do it. We have a choice in a game like this what to and what to not do. No one has to do everything especially if they don't like it. Blaming it on the developers is making an excuse for cheating and that is wrong period but really nice try.
    I want flying. Blizzard removes my choice to fly. Should I stop leveling and doing outdoor content? It's the only thing, I do now. For me it's "all or nothing". No outdoor - no game. If I would care about this game strong enough, wouldn't be so honest and there would be a cheat, that would allow me to fly (it's called speedhack, as I know) - I would definitely use it.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

In most cases cheating - is problem, that isn't caused by players - this problem is caused by game developers themselves. So don't blame players for cheating - blame Blizzard. Why? You know, when cheating usually happens? When player is focused on reward - not gaming process itself. He want reward, but don't want to play the game to obtain it. That means, he is trying to do content, that doesn't suit him. And why he tries to do content, that doesn't suit him? 1) There is no/not enough other content for him (including lack of appropriate difficulty level - in most cases cheating is being used cuz game is too hard for said player) 2) Mandatory exclusive reward, he wants, is being gated by this content. There are two solutions of this problem: 1) More optional alternative kinds of content for different kinds of players (including difficulty levels) - no "forced" content, no removal of choices in favour of some groups of players 2) Universal reward system - no exclusive mandatory rewards 3) Stop listening to players, who think that the only right way to develop game - is to make in suitable for them only, especially when they're minority and ask to remove features, that suit other players, to force them to play the way, that favours this minority.

Blizzard didn't put the 3rd party software on someone's computer. They didn't say "Here, since you don't like playing the game like everyone else, use these tools to get an advantage!" The person who installed the bots/hacks were the ones that decided to use them because they didn't want to play the game the honest way )or were too lazy, pick your poison)

I have no sympathy for cheaters and I find it hilarious the amount of threads that pop up of "My father's, brother's, nephew's, cousin's former roommate used my account to bot" whenever a ban wave is administered.

I want flying. Blizzard removes my choice to fly. Should I stop leveling and doing outdoor content? It's the only thing, I do now. For me it's "all or nothing". No outdoor - no game. If I would care about this game strong enough, wouldn't be so honest and there would be a cheat, that would allow me to fly (it's called speedhack, as I know) - I would definitely use it.
    Except for cata every expansion one got flying at max level so one had to be on the ground while leveling so your point is moot. As for handling flying this expansion I agree it was wrong/bad and yes I did little open world things until flying. I didn't choose to cheat though. If you choose to cheat the known consequence is bans deal with it

10+ Year Old Account
    Of course, there's no harm for the rest of the players by perma-ban on cheaters.
    Last edited by Lochton; 2016-05-14 at 03:15 PM.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

With WoW Blizzard uses some auto scripting in its banning...which I have been caught up in (things like using way different IPs which they think is account sharing. I use VPNs, which lately they have been smart about flagging as such.)

For cheaters that Blizz has evidence and not just auto scripted evidence, yeah they should be banned perma.

I won't play D3 anymore as so many people bot PL leveling...what's the point of playing versus that?

I refuse to Bot, so I'd rather not play in that environment...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tinybaby View Post
    i remember a bunch of friends being perma ban because one of them was botting and didnt say anything to anyone. Anyone who logged onto their accounts in that house was flagged and when the huge ban came all their acccounts were banned. Even the accounts that werent botting. It just flagged the Ip address believe.
    Nope. That's not how it works.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by styil View Post
    Should all WoW cheaters be perma banned on their first offence Diablo 3 cheaters have recently been permenantly banned too
    Some perma bans.
    Not all bans were permanent. Which makes your point about D3 having a zero tolerance on first-time cheating moot.

Diablo devs seem to believe that perma bans are the way to go
    Maybe in the future first=time offenders, all of them, will be perma-banned.
    Until then, it's just a notion for D3.

Diablo 3 now permanently banning first time cheaters
    Some, unless you have a crystal ball. If you are again referring to recent ban waves in D3 then no, not all bans were perma bans.

Should first-time offenders, all of them, be perma-banned?
    That's another story all together.
    Last edited by Heeresman; 2016-05-14 at 01:30 PM.
    Those who do not stand with the Forsaken stand against them. And those who stand against the Forsaken will not stand long