Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Ah, OK that makes sense. Did you see S7E1? Return to Amy's Baking Company, Worth a watch
    ya, i always fall asleep watching reruns of top gear on bbc america and ramsey is on when i wake up. lol
    It's been a while actually since I've received a message from scrapbot...need to drink more i guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Butter Emails View Post
    Trump is a complete shitbag that's draining the country's coffers to stuff his own.
    It must be a day ending in Y.

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    Oh boy a tip thread. This is where we get a bunch of Euros coming in and saying that mandatory tipping is stupid.
    Mandatory tipping IS stupid. I do my job and i don't expect a tip for doing MY JOB correctly.
    Money talks, bullshit walks..

Deleted
    Not surprising, american restuarant culture is based around mandatory tipping. Doing something alone is never gonna do anything but make you look silly. They need to get everyone in the town aboard if this is going to work, and that's hard because there's always some idiot that sees a chance to make a buck off the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeilon View Post
    Just because it is repeated in every thread doesn't make it less true.
    Agreed. To me the biggest compliment for good service at a restaurant isn't to tip - it's to return on a fairly frequent basis. Having a friendly waiter/waitress is nice and all but that's just a tiny element of what eating out at a restaurant involves. If the food is excellent then much of the credit should go to the chef. If the atmosphere and decorations are pleasant then the credit should go to whoever is responsible for keeping things clean.

You can't really tip everybody involved and there's no guarantee that a tip will truly go to those who deserve it either.

Couldn't they just raise the wages, put a notice saying that they do pay them fair wages (instead of paying them sub minimum wage and hoping the tipping makes up the difference, which is baloney) and then if people still want to tip then they can? To my knowledge that's how it works in other countries and it works fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by tj119 View Post
    I hate tipping, I own and partially own 4 restaurants in GA. I do not ban tipping but I do pay my employees enough so that tips are just a luxury. Our prices are high, yes, but our employees are happy...our bartenders especially. We have many regulars just because of the pleasant environment. I rarely get complaints about rude and bad servers. Most people go to big chains for lower priced food, ESPECIALLY seafood, I can see how this wouldn't work.
    You sir know how to run a business.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    Couldn't they just raise the wages, put a notice saying that they do pay them fair wages (instead of paying them sub minimum wage and hoping the tipping makes up the difference, which is baloney) and then if people still want to tip then they can? To my knowledge that's how it works in other countries and it works fine.
    What more likely happened is that the chain raised prices to "try out" no tipping, saw it didn't work, and are going to leave their current prices as-is and go back to a tipped wage.

Yes I am so cynical that I believe this either already happened or will happen soon.

10+ Year Old Account
    As a Firefighter I should get tips for saving peoples lives right?!... No, tipping is stupid. Putting on a fake smile and all won't make me give you free money for doing you're job.
    You know what Icelandic waiters to if you want to give them a tip? they say no thank you, know why? because they are paid enough for their work.
    “A man will contend for a false faith stronger than he will a true one,” he observes. “The truth defends itself, but a falsehood must be defended by its adherents: first to prove it to themselves and secondly, that they may appear right in the estimation of their friends.”
    -The Acts of Pilate.

Quote Originally Posted by Torched View Post
    As a Firefighter I should get tips for saving peoples lives right?!... No, tipping is stupid. Putting on a fake smile and all won't make me give you free money for doing you're job.
    You know what Icelandic waiters to if you want to give them a tip? they say no thank you, know why? because they are paid enough for their work.
    but we like to make people dance like a circus monkey first before we throw our coins at their feet.
    It's been a while actually since I've received a message from scrapbot...need to drink more i guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Butter Emails View Post
    Trump is a complete shitbag that's draining the country's coffers to stuff his own.
    It must be a day ending in Y.