Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    DLC is optional. So is buying games on release day. I'm not buying Doom at release, for example. Though I am tempted.

I have hundreds of games I picked up for $10 on Steam. Mostly AAA titles. It's really cheaper than ever.

And when I was a kid games were generally AUD$100 :P
    Last edited by Mormolyce; 2016-05-14 at 12:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    Indeed. Pirating PC games probably leads to more actual sales of PC games then loss of sales.

If I pirate a game, there is a 90% chance that I was never planning on buyin it in the first place. If I actually like it, there is a moderate chance that I might actually buy a copy at some point (maybe on a steam sale, or something), just so I dont have to deal with stupid warez / cracks shit to get it to work every time I want to play it, or because I feel like supporting the dev who made it. If I didnt like it, they havent lost a sale, because I was never planning on buying it to begin with.

For most people, Pirating is essentially a "free trial" of the game, without all the crippleware that usually comes attached with an official free trial.
    False. Piracy killed Anachronox.

Quote Originally Posted by Master Chief View Post
    I saw the new standard version of CoD is gonna be going for 80 bucks

thats amazing lmao.

OT 80 bucks for CoD? CMON MAN
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

Quote Originally Posted by Makaran View Post
    False. Piracy killed Anachronox.
    How so? I mean, from what little I remember of it, it a very very niche game. It was also one of the games I pirated, and eventually paid for. I would kill for a sequel, but that doesnt change the fact that the game was directed at a very narrow audience.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    DLC is optional.
    People need to get real with this claim.

If it's like "Extra weapon skins" sure it's optional.

But when you're talking about DLC that involves mission packs to resolve plot lines that are introduced in the "main game" it's not optional. Because you otherwise aren't being sold the complete game.

Price of Movies,Music,Concerts...etc...all are going up...always have.
    Make sure what you buy is what you want to play ...otherwise you ARE pissing away money.

Honestly $80 for a game? Factor in how many hours you will likely play it...cost per hour...usually pretty cheap.
    The current CoD version...I have over 300 hours into it between Campaign,Multiplayer and Zombies.
    I bought the "Uber" version with the season pass...so...$120 ish...I think?
    Pennies per hour of use/entertainment.
    Same with WoW...even WOD has been "cheap" for hours played v. price paid.

Yeah, it sucks prices go up.
    Yeah, it sucks inflation is a thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom4u2 View Post
    Cost of games correlate with cost of production.

Yes, it's absurd both way.

It's even more absurd when you know half the budget goes to marketing alone.
    Yup just like what this guy said. Games are expensive because they're expensive to make, like super expensive. The worst part about it is that this is probably why such shitty, broken games are being made today and games like CoD and Assassin's Creed (my guilty pleasure) continue being pumped out with each one feeling like a copy and paste of the previous games. They also probably look for ways to cut corners and save some money by releasing the game half done and finishing it as DLC. Then a couple years later we have "complete editions" where it has all DLC included on disc and are usually much cheaper than buying each DLC individually. That's how games should be right from the get-go. It's sad that we're at a point that we have to wait for a "complete edition" for games. $60 for a half done game, ridiculous.
    Last edited by Pony Soldier; 2016-05-14 at 01:26 PM.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    People need to get real with this claim.

If it's like "Extra weapon skins" sure it's optional.

But when you're talking about DLC that involves mission packs to resolve plot lines that are introduced in the "main game" it's not optional. Because you otherwise aren't being sold the complete game.
    Ok then...that applies to books,movie series etc as well.
    All the Iron Man/Avenger/Thor/Captain America etc. need to be added together?
    If you see Iron Man ...the original ...You HAVE to see the rest?
    Anything by Tolken or R.R. Martin ...you HAVE to read the rest of them?
    That ...is silly.

Pro tip..if you DON'T want to buy the extra content ...wait 1 month then look at Youtube...someone will put all the "plot lines/story" together for you in one vid..resolving your curiosity while sating your being a cheap ass/frugal/responsible.

This is the first COD I have picked up and played ALL the content in...the rest I just did the campaign once through THEN killed Zombies the rest of the time til I got bored and left the game alone a few months later...played the HELL out of it but still.
    Last edited by enragedgorilla; 2016-05-14 at 01:19 PM.

If people are willing to pay for it then the price is right. Simple as that.
    If it's too much for you then don't buy it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeXan View Post
    and download all your stuff for free.
    ...... and people wonder why the product costs that much.
    There's the primary answer.
    Freeloaders
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Quote Originally Posted by enragedgorilla View Post
    Ok then...that applies to books,movie series etc as well.
    All the Iron Man/Avenger/Thor/Captain America etc. need to be added together?
    If you see Iron Man ...the original ...You HAVE to see the rest?
    Anything by Tolen or R.R. Martin ...you HAVE to read the rest of them?
    That ...is silly.

This is the first COD I have picked up and played ALL the content in...the rest I just did the campaign once through THEN killed Zombies the rest of the time til I got bored and left the game alone a few months later...played the HELL out of it but still.
    Wow. Really? You don't understand the difference between sequels, volumes, and then making a game, stripping it apart, and then releasing components of it separately for a total cost that is 5 times the cost of an individual game?

I'm... I'm at a loss here. I'm fucking speechless.

EDIT: Like you use books as an example, but have clearly never read books, beyond the "best sellers" table at Walmart. Because yeah... Even short stories, when they were released, were bundled as parts of larger volumes. No self respecting author would release a quarter of a book and then ask you to buy the rest of it later. If an author didn't know where to go with a plot yet but wanted to release it early they'd reformat it as a short story, and include it with several other short stories, or publish it through a magazine that is full of short stories.
    Last edited by Gheld; 2016-05-14 at 01:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Of course it's opinion, but the sub decline in WoD was amazing. Typical for any product near the end of its product life cycle, but still.

Not worth the price tag, Blizzard gouges players for services that are basically automated (server transfers, name changes, etc). Should be free with a paid sub.

Basically World of Warcraft has paid for three successful (ish, or potentially successful, considering hype for Overwatch) spinoff games via subscription revenue and Blizzard store purchases.
    Blizz is also one of the only company I have seen that has the decency to offer such services, I'll rather have the ability to have it and such service having a cost then not having the option at all.

Overwatch is absolute garbage imo.

Question whatever you take for granted.

Quote Originally Posted by Teebone View Post
    Super NES games were like $90 in 1992. You kiddies know nothing of cost.

Dont tell them the turth plz.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Wait for it to come out on sale.
    That is what I do. I always play a step behind, so I can grab all the content cheap.

All it is doing is pushing people away from the consoles. I know a lot of people that passed on the consoles for a pc (myself included) when they saw how the consoles were marketing these games.

Deleted
    Did google g2a and they sell Doom for 29 euro and Bethesda sell its for 59 euro how can they do that when it did just relese i mean is it legit?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ouch View Post
    Dont tell them the turth plz.
    Manufacturing costs were much higher back then, as were retailer cuts. A magazine in the mid-90's broke it down.

Deleted
    The price of games is fine, the price of everyones shitty DLC that costs way more than the actual game is the problem but hey people still buy it so they will keep making it.

then find a cheaper hobby, get a better job, or just dont complain about it.

Quote Originally Posted by vradar View Post
    The price of games is fine, the price of everyones shitty DLC that costs way more than the actual game is the problem but hey people still buy it so they will keep making it.
    You see that works... to an extent. Until enough consumers with no self control support the publisher to the point that it's just as profitable to sell 300 dollars worth of garbage to 1 person as it is to sell a complete title for 60 dollars to 5 scrupulous consumers who say "fuck that". The problem is that anybody willing to spend 300 dollars on a single title clearly has an addictive personality and will always be back for more. Whereas you actually have to give it your all to appease those other 5 assholes, who might also have criticism and god forbid developer safe spaces get invaded with reviews...and *gasp* feedback.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably laying somewhere frozen and cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Tell your friends to stop torrenting games, which only contributes to the problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Case in point.
    If you honestly think 1% of the world torrenting games/movies/literally anything is why gaming is expensive, then you're an idiot.

You want to know why theres day 1 DLC that drops for 35$ on top of the games launch day price of 60-80$? Because that shit works and you idiots will infact buy it. Vote with your goddamn wallets and tell these shitty game developers you want a quality product, not half a game and a bunch of banner ads and TV commercials.

And to me? The best way to vote with my wallet? Torrent the game of the company I'm boycotting, then never playing it. Just to prove a point.
    There are no worse scum in this world than fascists, rebels and political hypocrites.
    Donald Trump is only like Hitler because of the fact he's losing this war on all fronts.
    Apparently condemning a fascist ideology is the same as being fascist. And who the fuck are you to say I can't be fascist against fascist ideologies?
    If merit was the only dividing factor in the human race, then everyone on Earth would be pretty damn equal.