Poll: Postpone 2016 Olympics?

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Bunch of gaming nerds on a video game forum lacking compassion for a real life sports event.
    color me surprised.
    Hey now, I took this thread as an inspiration to watch Olympic videos on Youtube. Us normal people not posting here doesn't mean we don't care. :P

Having said that, I'm all for banning Russia entirely.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Deleted
    Oh, it's another one of those western butt-hurt movements when a big event is hosted by a non-western country n they screech for boycott. I wonder where those retards were when the US invaded Iraq.

Quote Originally Posted by Summerdrake View Post
    Oh, it's another one of those western butt-hurt movements when a big event is hosted by a non-western country n they screech for boycott. I wonder where those retards were when the US invaded Iraq.
    ...? Brazil is in the west.

Grab a map.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bewbew View Post
    ...? Brazil is in the west.
    Western Europe + US & Canada re considered the west.

Grab a map.
    Is that like where it says Asia n I should consider Japan n Saudi-Arabia similar because they are on the same continent?

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Very good idea.

Along with some athletes already bowing out of the Games because of the health risks.

Personally, I think it's beyond ridiculous that the International Committee hasn't moved the Games. I mean, aside from an impending Pandemic (which is the very definition of what is about to happen in Brazil this summer), their President was just impeached and they still aren't completely set up for the Games themselves.
    If they move it they would basically be saying they failed.

Zika Virus.
    Political (and civil) unrest in Brasil.
    Lack of health and safety measures for some of the events (in particular water sports).
    A lot of accidents in regards of newly built structures, showing they weren't properly or safely constructed (for example a bike path overpath that collapsed a few months after being finalized, etc).

There is a lot going wrong for Rio'2016, but i highly doubt it will be canceled, even if i think it should.

- - - Updated - - -

Brasil is a western country...

*sigh*

10+ Year Old Account
    Should it be? Absolutely.

But I want it to happen. Mankind is overdue for a good reality-checking bitchslap.

10+ Year Old Account
    people still think olympics are about sports, how adorable.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesftw View Post
    people still think olympics are about sports, how adorable.
    Yea its more about money for the host country....and measuring dicks.

Western Europe + US & Canada re considered the west.

Is that like where it says Asia n I should consider Japan n Saudi-Arabia similar because they are on the same continent?
    Brazil is absolutly "Western" in culture and way of life, which comes from Portugal, which is a Western European Country.

Japan and South Korea are westernized asian countries.
    Last edited by bewbew; 2016-05-14 at 10:43 PM.

I wish Tokyo had it... Those crazy Japs put on one hell of a show.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reklia View Post
    I wish Tokyo had it... Those crazy Japs put on one hell of a show.
    They will.

Deleted
    Brazil hosted the world cup in 2014 just fine. I'm sure they will do just fine with hosting the olympics. Zika only really harms pregnant people, and the mosquitoes that carry it don't really live outside of the tropics, so yeah.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yilar View Post
    Brazil hosted the world cup in 2014 just fine. I'm sure they will do just fine with hosting the olympics. Zika only really harms pregnant people, and the mosquitoes that carry it don't really live outside of the tropics, so yeah.
    Not true. A. Aegypti also lives in the Southern U.S. Zika can also help cause fatal complications in the elderly. It is also transmitted sexually. The 2014 WV also had a lot of stadium issues, and you're ignoring their water pollution problems.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    I'm fairly sure that the Republic of Ireland, Sweden, Finland, Switzerland and Austria are not third world countries (and have never been third world countries), so I'd question the validity of their data.

The map is accurate, it's the term 1st, 2nd and 3rd world country that is often used incorrectly. 1st world countries supports USA, 2nd world countries supports USSR and 3rd world countries doesn't support anyone (neutral).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Not true. A. Aegypti also lives in the Southern U.S. Zika can also help cause fatal complications in the elderly. It is also transmitted sexually. The 2014 WV also had a lot of stadium issues, and you're ignoring their water pollution problems.
    The flu can also kill elderly people, and it's not hard telling people not to get pregnant right after the olympics. As for the water pollution problems i'm sure the organizers will find a suitable solution, such as moving the competitions to more suitable locations.
    Last edited by mmocff76f9a79b; 2016-05-15 at 12:41 AM.

Wasn't there a scandal surrounding how Brazil even got the olympics?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yilar View Post
    Also the map is accurate, it's the term 1st, 2nd and 3rd world country that is often used incorrectly. 1st world country supports USA, 2nd world country supports USSR and 3rd world countries doesn't support anyone (neutral).

- - - Updated - - -

The flu can also kill elderly people, and it's not hard telling people not to get pregnant right after the olympics. As the water pollution problems i'm sure the organizers will find a suitable solution, such as moving the competitions to suitable locations.
    And that's why the flu is still a big deal: because it still kills quite a few people. Also, Zika will still spread through mosquitoes in the US since the mosquito type it likes lives here regardless if the visitors have sex or not, so you may as well tell the us pop to not have sex at all for all the good that will do.

For acceptable venues, it would have to be very far away from RIo which isn't practical, reasonable, and was one of the issues with the WC

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Bunch of gaming nerds on a video game forum lacking compassion for a real life sports event.
    color me surprised.
    I have more compassion for the athletes that would be competing in what is essentially poisoned water than for the event itself.

Maybe it can be held in Houston, where the next Super Bowl (already a massive expected audience) is going to be held. Or other similar locations in the world that are already preparing for major sporting events?

10+ Year Old Account
    If there's a credible threat of Zika virus spreading because of the Olympics then they should be cancelled immediately. There shouldn't be a question.