Poll: Postpone 2016 Olympics?

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    They really can't, the amount of money spent on the venue is too high and the outcry would fill oceans.

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    They really can't, the amount of money spent on the venue is too high and the outcry would fill oceans.
    That would at least dilute the raw sewage a bit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    Well if they can't, the IOC should at least provide Everyone with free mosquito spray, condoms, and mosquito netting. Also provide health care for any athletes that get something from their literally shitty water.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well the Zika virus is not really dangerous for normal healthy people and the disease usually runs its course withing a week or so. It's pregnant women that really needs to avoid zika-rich areas since the virus can cause birth defects.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zephid View Post
    Well the Zika virus is not really dangerous for normal healthy people and the disease usually runs its course withing a week or so. It's pregnant women that really needs to avoid zika-rich areas since the virus can cause defects to the baby.
    Pregnant women, men and women that plan to have sex, anyone traveling back to an area where the aedes species of mosquito live but does not currently have zika rotating through the mosquito pipulation...

Which turns out, is a LOT of people

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Well if they can't, the IOC should at least provide Everyone with free mosquito spray, condoms, and mosquito netting. Also provide health care for any athletes that get something from their literally shitty water.
    Ironically, they would only need to extend it past the athletes, the olympic board already gives thousands of free condoms out to the athletes :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Pregnant women, men and women that plan to have sex, anyone traveling back to an area where the aedes species of mosquito live...

Which turns out, is a LOT of people
    But the disease is usually not dangerous to healthy adults. As long as you are not pregnant when you get infected you should be fine, and most of the people who are having wild sex during the Olympics are not trying to get pregnant. If you get infected it usually only lasts a week or so.
    Last edited by zephid; 2016-05-15 at 01:17 AM.

Hmmm.... zika virus... olypmics... calling it now, 2017, year of the zombie apocalypse.

10+ Year Old Account
    But the disease is not dangerous to healthy adults. As long as you are not pregnant when you get infected you should be fine. If you get infected the disease if usually out of your system within a couple of weeks.
    thats not the worry. You don't want Zika hopping regions and establishing itself in another large pop country like the US. Then you expose many more pregnant women.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Uh.

What several other factors? Scary brown people?
    Very amusing that this is the first thing you jumped to.

OT: too late now, too much money to lose. But yeah, ideally the Olympics wouldn't be held there until they can sort their shit out. They probably shouldn't have been allowed to host in the first place, to be honest.
    Last edited by mmoc4359933d3d; 2016-05-15 at 01:21 AM.

Speaking as a native brazilian, yes...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    Very amusing that this is the first thing you jumped to.
    I know this forum, everyone afterwards went "NO! We're just scared of all the crime committed by Brazilians", so really I feel slightly justified.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    I know this forum, everyone afterwards went "NO! We're just scared of all the crime committed by Brazilians", so really I feel slightly justified.
    You shouldn't. You basically just displayed your ignorance of several very real issues for everyone to see. Then again, what should one expect from somebody that thinks criticism of a country must be related to the ethnicity of those being criticized?

Personally, I would be embarrassed to have jumped to such a conclusion.
    Last edited by mmoc4359933d3d; 2016-05-15 at 01:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    It seems to be a clusterfuck right now, but it's up to the nation to overcome those obstacles and showcase to the world how ready they are. If they're not, be it on their own heads.
    Dude, we are not fucking ready and it was obvious we wouldn't be since before the coup. In 2013 there were GIANT protests against both events. Just to make things worse, we're going throug a "political, economical, social, ethical, everything" crisis since late 2014/early 2015, there's the big zika problem going on and we've just impeached our lazy, corrupt, useless "presidenta".

Didn't they just oust their president by force? Seems like not such a happy place to visit for the olypics.

10+ Year Old Account
    But the disease is usually not dangerous to healthy adults. As long as you are not pregnant when you get infected you should be fine, and most of the people who are having wild sex during the Olympics are not trying to get pregnant. If you get infected it usually only lasts a week or so.
    But if you're pregnant, planning on becoming pregnant, or have sex with a pregnant woman, it's a real problem.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

Well, I never watch, so in that sense, it makes no difference to me....

However, I read that the water is so polluted that athletes don't want to be on / in / or drink the water. Then of course, it is just in one of the nastiest cities that exists for crime.... and no way in hell do I think they could have enough security to keep people safe.

So yeah, it was stupid to even let them have it. I would cancel it just from what I stated, but I bet there are dozens of other reasons too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherRae View Post
    But if you're pregnant, planning on becoming pregnant, or have sex with a pregnant woman, it's a real problem.
    you should have said that in typical commercial voice over for prescriptions xD

But my big worry is Zika region hopping by an infected person getting bit by a non infected mosquito and starting that cycle. Texas already has issues with West Nile Virus each summer...

It's not as simple as just canceling it though. The monetary value of the venue alone /shudder. Plus tickets, flights, hotels, everything has already been purchased and much of that is non-refundable. It'd just be a shitshow to cancel so they won't.

Edit: Not to mention pre-scheduled time off work.
    Last edited by Onikaroshi; 2016-05-15 at 02:43 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bewbew View Post
    Brazil is absolutly "Western" in culture and way of life, which comes from Portugal, which is a Western European Country.

Japan and South Korea are westernized asian countries.
    LOOOOOOOOOOL no, Brazil is a latin-american country, they are different.

Japan n South Korea are western countries now!? Their have adopted some stuff, but "westernized" is a very vague term, their mentality is not very Western. You are throwing terms around n trying to make them stick. You could argue that basically the whole world is Western cuz it's "westernized" to some degree.