Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

60Mbps internet, need a router that'll properly distribute it!

Edit: Resolved

Issue is solved! No need for further recommendations directed toward me. Feel free to keep the conversation going regarding modems, routers and expected speeds.

I currently have a Linksys AC 1200 and it is sucking, big time. From the modem via cat5, my roomie's laptop gets 60Mbps via Speedtest. Via Wi-Fi and even with a Power-Over-Ethernet Gigabit kit to my PC, every device in the house is getting a max of 15Mbps. It's terrible.

After testing the internet straight from the modem, I have to assume it's the Router. I need to find a new one that'll fit our needs. We have a lot of devices here:

-About 4 phones, never any heavy usage. Googling and Snapchat at the most.
    -Anywhere from 3-5 PCs/Laptops active at once, at least one streaming 480p-1080p video around the clock for the most part. Sometimes 2-3, but not common.
    -4 consoles which are rarely used for online gaming, but are always connected to Wi-Fi.
    -EVERYTHING is connected via Wi-Fi, except for my PC which is hooped up through a Power-Over-Ethernet Gigabit kit, (through a power bar which I'm not supposed to be able to do but it works) an AV 500 from D-Link.
    -If a device can connect to 5GHz, it is. Connection range has never been a problem, only speed, and only during the past few months.

Like...I'm thinking of an AC 1900 at the least. I don't exactly know why so little of that D/L speed is being transmitted to our devices, even if NO ONE is home and there's only one person actively using the internet, no downloads, no torrents, no chrome window with 4500 tabs. It's just super slow, and like I said, I have to iamgine that the Router is the bottleneck.

It's not even Gigabit. It's "smart", whatever that means.

Any recommendations? I'm guessing that an RT-AC78U might be a good fit for us...but how will I know that it can actually replicate the proper speeds?

A thought; I tested the router's Wi-Fi speed from above it in the living room. I should sit right beside it downstairs and run a speedtest on the laptop and on my phone to see if there really is any signal degradation through the walls that would impact speed instead of connectivity; We've all assumed no because the speeds are consistent regardless if you're above it in the living room or across the house...but it's something to think about.
    Last edited by MonsieuRoberts; 2016-05-18 at 09:12 PM.
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

Gotta remember each device has a different wifi card in it. Most phones are 1x1, heck most devices are so you will never see full speeds unless it has AC. I have this router and have had 0 issues so far and ive never seen it cheaper than this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NETGEAR-AC16...8AAOSw3mpXLLT4

I also have a 60mbps connection and on my AC devices i get the full wired speeds (i even get higher on some devices which is odd lol).

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel like this is a -problem- with the router, rather than actually needing a 'better' router.

I have 50Mbps internet, and my cheapie $15 TP Link TL-WR841N (N300) gets about ~40Mbps from it. And my wireless network is stupidly heavy (40-50 wifi devices).

Have you tried installing a custom firmware on it and tweaking settings?
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I feel like this is a -problem- with the router, rather than actually needing a 'better' router.

I have 50Mbps internet, and my cheapie $15 TP Link TL-WR841N (N300) gets about ~40Mbps from it. And my wireless network is stupidly heavy (40-50 wifi devices).

Have you tried installing a custom firmware on it and tweaking settings?
    I have not tampered with it because it's my landlord's and not mine. I was GOING to invest in a TP Link AC 1750 but he grabbed that instead. That was months ago.

I've looked a little bit into Tomatoes or whatever it is but I don't know where to begin.
    [/url]

10+ Year Old Account
    If it's not yours, is there anything you can do?

I use DD-WRT on all my routers personally, but just because I'm familiar with it. You have to make sure that your router is compatible. I don't see the EA6100 listed on either DD-WRT or Tomato's website, however OpenWRT is compatible it seems, but I've never personally used it so can't say what features it has. Might still be worth a try (Or, if you really want to buy one so you own the hardware, buy one that you know is compatible)
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account

I use DD-WRT on all my routers personally, but just because I'm familiar with it. You have to make sure that your router is compatible. I don't see the EA6100 listed on either DD-WRT or Tomato's website, however OpenWRT is compatible it seems, but I've never personally used it so can't say what features it has. Might still be worth a try (Or, if you really want to buy one so you own the hardware, buy one that you know is compatible)
    I have a brand new Dlink N300 that I could try this stuff on. I'll look it up later for sure.
    [/url]

FYI, the 5 GHz band offers higher bandwidth but is more sensitive to distance and obstructions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dejaa View Post
    FYI, the 5 GHz band offers higher bandwidth but is more sensitive to distance and obstructions.
    It hasn't been an issue for us. The router is in the basement laundry room, but it's extremely close to the living room and kitchen, and our bedrooms are only one room over from that. Not a colossal house, signal strength has never been an issue.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, he wouldn't have any real reservations about me outright replacing it, but I would rather not tamper with the inner workings of something that isn't mine, y'know?

Testing out my garbage D-Link tomorrow.
    [/url]

Have you seen the Asus RT-AC5300?

Are you high lol, did you really just suggest a 400 dollar router for someone with a 60mbps wired connection?

The one i linked earlier will 100% fix his issues if he cant figure out whats wrong with his current one, all for 50 bucks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Morgaith View Post
    They need a fairly basic router, not an altar of storms.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Morgaith View Post
    If you're going to be spending 4-500 dollars you might as well get a lancom and be done with it. The OP doesn't need that though.
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2016-05-15 at 12:40 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    If only your wireless sucks, and the router belongs to the landlord, you might want to get just an access point (and deactivate the wireless in the router). That way, if you should move out, you just can take the AP with you. You can get entry-level enterprise APs for less than $100.

Ubiquiti seem to have a good reputation ( https://www.ubnt.com/products/#wireless at the bottom of the site). As entry-level products they have two models:
    UniFi AP: http://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Netwo...dp/B00HXT8R2O/
    Unifi AP AC lite: http://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Netwo...dp/B015PR20GY/
    Why do something simple, when there is a complicated way?
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet

This sounds like a settings or interference issue, not a router one. 60mb Internet is not nearly fast enough for an AC1200 router to be the bottleneck and certainly not to the extent of dropping it down to 15mb.

I know with one of my neighbors, their internet speeds went in the toilet when someone else got a DISH DVR that was broadcasting on the 5ghz bands they were using and they had a devil of a time working around that.

There are wifi apps you can DL for phones that check for this sort of a problem.

But frankly I suspect that something is just not set up correctly on the router or there's some sort of throughput limitation setting activated. Especially since your landlord is using it to provide internet access to the building.

7+ Year Old Account
    Ethernet over power lines is SLOW. You aren't going to get anywhere near full speed over that. And wifi varies depending on 1) what type of wifi card the client has, and 2) what kind of physical obstructions are between the client and the router and 3) what frequencies you're using vs what your neighbors are using, etc.

60mbps isn't even particularly fast. I know someone with 500mbps and they have an el cheapo router and it works fine.
    Last edited by Stormspark; 2016-05-16 at 03:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MonsieuRoberts View Post
    Power-Over-Ethernet Gigabit kit
    To clarify, is this "Power Over Ethernet".. That's usually something that is literally powered by the ethernet (it carries power, like USB)... Or are "Powerline" that uses your house power grid as the ethernet network and you have it plugged into a wall socket?

Firstly try WiFi analyzer on an Phone and change channel. It's possible you are running WiFi on same channel like your neighbors and that can cause issues. You really don't need anything better then an cheap 5 Ghz router. ( But with 5Ghz could be problem that some older devices might not see it.)

- - - Updated - - -

To clarify, is this "Power Over Ethernet".. That's usually something that is literally powered by the ethernet (it carries power, like USB)... Or are "Powerline" that uses your house power grid as the ethernet network and you have it plugged into a wall socket?
    Power Over Ethernet or shortly PoE is for powering devices through ethernet cable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unionoob View Post
    Power Over Ethernet or shortly PoE is for powering devices through ethernet cable.
    Yes. I know. I'm trying to clarify which one of these he actually has.. Because he said "power over ethernet" but it sounds like a powerline adapter.

Yes. I know. I'm trying to clarify which one of these he actually has.. Because he said "power over ethernet" but it sounds like a powerline adapter.
    I am curious about those connection types. How far does ethernet is reaching. I think there could be problem if each room has own circle which goes to man power line.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unionoob View Post
    I am curious about those connection types. How far does ethernet is reaching. I think there could be problem if each room has own circle which goes to man power line.
    IEEE standard (1901) for powerline communication says 100m, same as bog standard Ethernet, though likely to be less unless you've got wonderful wiring.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters