Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immortan Rich View Post
    That explains so much.
    Did you see he compared the EU to Hitler and Napoleon? I think Cameron put him up to joining the out group in order to sabotage the leave campaign.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nehezbegar View Post
    Hopefully they will do it. This will give a courage to other countries to man up and do dis too. Its one of the important things to save the Europe.
    Actually, it will divide Europe, making it easier for USA and Russia to control most of it. Because that's what you do when you want to control something, divide and conquer.

There's one thing between a reform within the EU and reorganizing its leading organizations and how they take their decisions and another just leaving.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    I just mean it's a lot less british, with the multiculturalism that's grown

- - - Updated - - -

There's always room for more detail. It wouldn't really make sense to call someone whose family has been there for hundreds of years to be as british as a new immigrant from pakistan. Like I alluded earlier, there's also a difference between culturally and ethnically british, and I'm mostly talking ethnically.
    I regard someone as British if they were raised in Britain to British cultural norms. Their skin tone is an irrelevance to me, I want to know who they support in test Cricket.

But it has a stronger history of being British dominated - that's not so true today.
    because London has become more or less the european version of NYC, it's economical role both in UK (london is by far the main contributor to UK gdp) and in Europe (main financial hub of the continent) attract immigrants in the same way back in the day NYC was the main USA destination for the european emigrants.
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Obviously this issue doesn't affect me however unlike some raiders I don't see the point in taking satisfaction in this injustice, it's wrong, just because it doesn't hurt me doesn't stop it being wrong, the player base should stand together when Blizzard do stupid shit like this not laugh at the ones being victimised.

Watching I don't get this movie. They are telling that lifting all restrictions on importing goods from other parts of world would help but how really? Then we would end up with like cars being made not in Germany or Czech Republic but actually made in China. They would be cheaper but people here would lose jobs and would have even less money.. Isn't it the same story what was in 70s when Businesses went abroad for cheaper production while at home massive amount of people lost jobs and politicians were telling that everything will be cheaper?

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    I regard someone as British if they were raised in Britain to British cultural norms. Their skin tone is an irrelevance to me, I want to know who they support in test Cricket.
    So you can't really assume anyone in the demography is actually British, even if they have citizenship?

10+ Year Old Account
    So you can't really assume anyone in the demography is actually British, even if they have citizenship?
    My personal criteria is just that.

As I mentioned above, Boris Johnson was born in the US, would you regard him as a Yank?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lessal View Post
    kind of want my country(germany) to leave too...
    i know we actually have a good bit of pull... wich is to say the politicians do, gerneral voters don't

i can not remember ever voting for anything regarding the EU...
    For Germany it's not a problem with the EU, it's a problem with your own politicians. Remember how Merkel tried and somewhat succeded to impose her will on the other countries regarding the immigrant crysis? She's not part of the EU institutions just placed randomly, she's the chancelor of Germany, you, the people of Germany, brought her in power. So your problem should be more with your politicians as your country, alongside France, is one of the leaders of the EU so to say in major decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    Actually, it will divide Europe, making it easier for USA and Russia to control most of it. Because that's what you do when you want to control something, divide and conquer.

There's one thing between a reform within the EU and reorganizing its leading organizations and how they take their decisions and another just leaving.
    well i think that the eu right now can't be reformed, with 28 country each one with the ability to veto anything is impossible, the only way is to scrap the current thing and fewer countries (4-5 max) forming a true federation, for example Germany, France, Italy and Spain and maybe Netherlands , with a federal gov, a true central bank, an army etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Obviously this issue doesn't affect me however unlike some raiders I don't see the point in taking satisfaction in this injustice, it's wrong, just because it doesn't hurt me doesn't stop it being wrong, the player base should stand together when Blizzard do stupid shit like this not laugh at the ones being victimised.

My personal criteria is just that.

As I mentioned above, Boris Johnson was born in the US, would you regard him as a Yank?
    Not really. After all his parents were British weren't they? He doesn't really speak like a yank either.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram View Post
    I rather want to see a horror movie about capitalism... supply and demand showing how it keeps itself working in EU, US etc. while on the other side the children who has grown up too much will now suffer hunger and eat dirt because the cacoa bushes will bend now when he tries to climb them. How the feudal system works on one side and capitalism on the other. Then in the end a business man from EU/US etc will be shown how they completely control the feudal system and how supply and demand is a lie that keeps people in their trauma.

That would be awesome horror that will thrill everyone.
    Whats with the emotional leftist sob stories? Dumb people pumping out babies, then not being able to take care of them is not horror, its something else entirely. Besides, if youre suggesting that capitalism means some sneering suited villain being above the law and doing whatever he wants, then its not capitalism. Capitalism only means you have free market and people are able to benefit from their success and abilities instead of having to give it away to the undeserving.

Quote Originally Posted by bufferunderrun View Post
    well i think that the eu right now can't be reformed, with 28 country each one with the ability to veto anything is impossible, the only way is to scrap the current thing and fewer countries (4-5 max) forming a true federation, for example Germany, France, Italy and Spain and maybe Netherlands , with a federal gov, a true central bank, an army etc.
    Europe doesn't have to be federation. And for reforms if they are reasonable then none will veto them and everyone would be interested in reforms what could help everyone. While only who would be against are self EU parliament and commission but they can just sit in corner and be quiet.

Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    And how far back should this ancestry reach before anyone can be considered British?
    I already said earlier, there's always more room for detail when it comes to ancestry/genealogy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not really. After all his parents were British weren't they? He doesn't really speak like a yank either.
    The IRS (US tax department?) regarded him as a Yank and sent him a tax bill when he sold a property in the UK.

You kind of have to rely on self identification when dealing with census results, if they live in Britain and regard themselves as British, then itis fair enough to call them British.

Deleted
    I can somewhat sympathize if this person is in London - only 45% of it was British in 2011, probably gone down since.
    Ok, let's say, for the record, that the UK leaves the EU and that your statistics are correct. What then? Do you say "ok, 55% of London population (so about 4.5 mil people), you had fun, now get out?" Do you seriously think that will work? Heck, maybe you could kick a few thousands, maybe a few hundreads of thousands, but the effect starts to be noticed from a point, and it's not a good effect by the way.
    Why do you think those jokes about Polish plumbers existed? Because many plumbers were polish indeed. Now imagine kicking them all. What now? 10% plumbers left, prices go skyhigh. What about nurses, doctors? The UK always had a problem with that, they keep recruiting from the EU. Now they'd exit and they already have a problem, they make it worse. You think waiting times were big now? HA! Wait till you kick all those immigrant doctors and nurses.

Basically the idea is that some (not all, I agree) of these immigrants actually brought good things to the UK. That's one of the reasons why the UK stood so long. The major problem is that the UK has just been sitting on the sidelines letting Germany and France essentially take control of the EU and turning it into their bitch. And the UK didn't intervene. And now they dislike the result. Do you want a better EU? Then make your voice heard in it, not by just threatening to leave, but rather by actually having the other countries rally to your point. Stand up to your points regarding the EU. Make the EU stronger.

Umm is Cricket popular in Scotland and Wales? I know it isn't all that popular in Northern Ireland, I'd be more looking at their premiership team personally. Still want to have enough money to bribe enough officials to get Northern Ireland and the Republic to the final. Just to see what would explode first, the island or everyone's ear drums when full time is called?
    But it does kick up my pet peeve of British.. people use it too much when they really mean English. Each of those four nations give British an entirely different meaning, aside from booze.. we all seem to have a reputation for drinking.

The IRS (US tax department?) regarded him as a Yank and sent him a tax bill when he sold a property in the UK.

You kind of have to rely on self identification when dealing with census results, if they live in Britain and regard themselves as British, then itis fair enough to call them British.
    On the IRS/census there's a category called "Yank"? Seems weird.

Is the UK going to suddenly not help any refugees if it stops being part of the EU? This whole movie sounds like some sort of xenophobia propaganda exercise.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    Basically the idea is that some (not all, I agree) of these immigrants actually brought good things to the UK.
    Just for the sake of brevity this essentially sums up my view on immigration. Sometimes they work and bring good things to the country. Sometimes they don't. It's up to the immigration policy to weed out the latter and prevent them from entering the country.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felnoire View Post
    Umm is Cricket popular in Scotland and Wales? I know it isn't all that popular in Northern Ireland, I'd be more looking at their premiership team personally. Still want to have enough money to bribe enough officials to get Northern Ireland and the Republic to the final. Just to see what would explode first, the island or everyone's ear drums when full time is called?
    But it does kick up my pet peeve of British.. people use it too much when they really mean English. Each of those four nations give British an entirely different meaning, aside from booze.. we all seem to have a reputation for drinking.
    England & Wales play as one team, just as we are one kingdom. Scotland are shit at Cricket.

The Cricket remark is a Geoff Boycott one, originally regarding Pakistanis - I think.

- - - Updated - - -

On the IRS/census there's a category called "Yank"? Seems weird.
    The US inland revenue service regards him as a Yank, the UK census would regard him as British. I can't remember the questions on the census, so I don't recall if they had a separate box for septics.