Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Regardless, sifting through your post history leads me to believe that you're full of shit either way, Mr. I'm a native american crippled in a wheelchair but still magically a doctor that just so happens to have his own practice and magically has all this time to sink into MMOs.
    Isn't it wonderful how diverse the world is? I don't need my legs to practice as an orthopedist, nor do I have to account for my time spent out of the office, but that's beside the point.

Or you could just use correct terminology.
    I could define internment for you, but your agenda is now discredit over discourse. Call someone, a random NA someone in Neshoba, or really any other smaller 'reservation' and ask them what it used to be. It was never a reservation, it was never a platform for reintegration, it was an internment camp. Your arbitrary designation of 'correct terminology' has no merit.

Feel free to PM me for an appointment or referral if you'd like one. Or is a partially crippled quarter native (who, gosh, plays MMOs and discusses them on, gosh, an MMO fansite) not fit to practice in your eyes?
    Last edited by Indigenously Abled; 2016-05-15 at 09:24 PM.
    Thanks for the ad-hominem; it supports your inability to support your argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Orbitus View Post
    Oh but it is. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Tappan_Thompson They have quotes of him stating it was his design, though it was the 2nd Confederate flag. He designed this one:

That's the entire point. The flag in the graphic you originally posted wasn't the second national flag of the Confederacy. It was the flag for the Army of Northern Virginia, which Thompson didn't design. In that quote when Thompson is talking about a flag to represent white supremacy he's talking about his flag. That's why he made most of the flag white. He thought himself to be very clever.

Quote Originally Posted by Flutterguy View Post
    Do you want a racist in the White House?
    You do know you can make a pin out of anything right? And that those pins weren't endorsed by the Clinton campaign? http://www.snopes.com/clinton-gore-92-confederate/ You really shouldn't use memes to further an argument you are already losing. It might backfire against you, just like this one did.

You can't carry around a flag and say "it no longer has the meaning it once had" uhhh.. Sorry it don't work that way, maybe in YOUR head it mean's something else.. But that flag was created to represent the confederates and their beliefs. You can't change that just by saying it. It would be like Russia carrying the US flag and going around saying "it no longer means what it use to, I am carrying it now so it mean's something else" lolol.. The Nazi flag still stands for Nazis, the confederate flag still stands for racist traitors who attacked their own country..

Quote Originally Posted by GMZohar1 View Post
    You can't carry around a flag and say "it no longer has the meaning it once had" uhhh.. Sorry it don't work that way, maybe in YOUR head it mean's something else.. But that flag was created to represent the confederates and their beliefs. You can't change that just by saying it. It would be like Russia carrying the US flag and going around saying "it no longer means what it use to, I am carrying it now so it mean's something else" lolol.. The Nazi flag still stands for Nazis, the confederate flag still stands for racist traitors who attacked their own country..
    Do you even know what the confederate flag looks like? I guess not.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Do you even know what the confederate flag looks like? I guess not.
    Most people would not know that. Each State down in the South who want have one resembling the confederate one, should design it after it, only move the color strips around for each state which wants to. Picking the battle flag of the Northern Virginia Army was just asking for it. lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GMZohar1 View Post
    They gave the defenders of Fort Sumter amber time to surrender and abandon the fort. And the North invaded the South several times before the South crossed over into the North. Not disagreeing with your statement overall however. Flags do represent ideas. They can also commemorate things which some value and others hate.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Most people would not know that. Each State down in the South who want have one resembling the confederate one, should design it after it, only move the color strips around for each state which wants to. Picking the battle flag of the Northern Virginia Army was just asking for it. lol.

- - - Updated - - -

They gave the defenders of Fort Sumter amber time to surrender and abandon the fort. And the North invaded the South several times before the South crossed over into the North. Not disagreeing with your statement overall however. Flags do represent ideas. They can also commemorate things which some value and others hate.
    Why should they have surrendered a Federal fort? It belonged to the Federal government (http://www.civilwarhome.com/sumterownership.html). When the Federal government tried to resupply them, the Confederate forces in South Carolina refused them and were the ones who first opened fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaon View Post
    if someone is racist, he rather keep it to himself, but running around and showing that he is racist is not acceptable

and by raising the confederate flag, you show what you are racist believers, that no one would give a shit if you kept it to yourself.

just saying.
    If you are keeping it to yourself and not actually acting out on your racism, then you are not an actual racist. You are a bigot. There is a difference.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brubear View Post
    Why should they have surrendered a Federal fort? It belonged to the Federal government (http://www.civilwarhome.com/sumterownership.html). When the Federal government tried to resupply them, the Confederate forces in South Carolina refused them and were the ones who first opened fire.
    I know. The point is they could have just opened fired on it without any warning. They felt ( not agreeing with it ) the Fort was on their territory and did not belong to the North. And of course you would not allow provisions into a fort you had besieged.

7+ Year Old Account
    I know. The point is they could have just opened fired on it without any warning. They felt ( not agreeing with it ) the Fort was on their territory and did not belong to the North. And of course you would not allow provisions into a fort you had besieged.
    A siege is an act of war. It's ok for you admit you are wrong rather than this drip drip method you always seem to use.
    What are we gonna do now? Taking off his turban, they said, is this man a Jew?
    'Cause they're working for the clampdown
    They put up a poster saying we earn more than you!
    When we're working for the clampdown
    We will teach our twisted speech To the young believers
    We will train our blue-eyed men To be young believers

So? Since they told them to give up property that the Federal government legally acquired and their state government backed them up on (read that website, they let the states Attorney-General decide if the dude trying to lay claim to the land had any right), that' changes what, exactly?

They were angry that the northern states didn't agree with their "right" to own slaves. They were angry that the northern states wouldn't agree to be complicit with their slave-practices, such as allowing them to bring slaves with them to the North, return fugitive slaves to the South when they escaped, etc.

They then demanded that the Federal government relinquish control of a fort that their state government helped them procure, and since they waited a long time before opening fire that means?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quite the contrary. Let people fly the Confederate Flag all they want. Let them proudly self-identify with everything it stands for.

No really, go for it. It makes things so much easier.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Rock whatever flag you want. I've been around enough people that own the flag to know that it means something else to them, so it doesn't bother me.

It's obvious that people don't even know what racism is anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Rock whatever flag you want. I've been around enough people that own the flag to know that it means something else to them, so it doesn't bother me.
    People can use it for their personal property all they want, which is something that most people agree on.

The major disagreement stems from the fact that people who are opposed to the flag don't want it being used on public buildings and landmarks unless it's a museum, which is where it belongs.

What I don't understand about the Southern heritage crowd is, what exactly was so great about the antebellum South anyway? The vast majority of the people were either enslaved or lived squalid and miserable lives in the backwoods of a painfully underdeveloped society. The tiny slaveholding elite monopolized all social, political, and economic power and devoted all their resources trying to live like European aristocrats rather than investing those resources to actually build up their states to match the prosperity of the North. Fancy country mansions are cute and all, but that sort of thing was already an anachronism by the mid-19th century and was symbolic only of a group of deluded people who refused to change with the times and had to be dragged into the modern world kicking and screaming.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    Then why do people say that the american flag is just a piece of cloth and shouldn't have any meaning behind it
    Both the American flag and the flag most people call the Confederate flag have meanings. But I don't care if some random group is burning the American flag, and don't care if a random group is raising the Confederate flag.

I do care if my government is raising the Confederate flag, though, since it's an implicit support for the racist themes that flag represents.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    The confederate flag is a symbol for racism and makes certain groups of people feel uncomfortable around it. Not sure what else you're looking for.
    If the confederate flag is a symbol of racism so is the american flag we are flying today. That flag is a part of American history and has been mostly viewed as a symbol of southern pride. Majority of white people do NOT see it as a symbol of racism. An overwhelming amount of african americans see this flag as a symbol of racism, especially in the south. Largely, the rich history of this flag and it's confederate predecessors are unknown, even to me at a large extent.

Essentially, to me, banning this flag is just banning the fotm thing to hate. Soon the progressives will find another person, place, or thing to direct their intolerance and nonsense until this movement burns out or the world is irreparably censored in their image.

There's an exercise on consistency and priorities somewhere here.

Some symbols deserve to be criticized and removed from any official position. Some folks see it as a symbol of liberation, or nonconformism and being a rebel. But some others see some clear anachronistic undertones entirely against the values of society. Attempts to reclaim some symbols fall flat against the atrocities of the past, and some of those problems still linger today. Yet still, one should be able to utilize that piece of cloth in the privacy of their homes, but should not be free from criticism in any public space.

I'm, of course, talking about burkas. And I'm sure that folks against the confederate flag agree with the sentiment.

- - - Updated - - -

an anachronism by the mid-19th century and was symbolic only of a group of deluded people who refused to change with the times and had to be dragged into the modern world kicking and screaming.
    Colonialist rhetoric is cute; I'm sure conquistadors and encomenderos felt the same way.
    Last edited by nextormento; 2016-05-16 at 09:22 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brubear View Post
    So? Since they told them to give up property that the Federal government legally acquired and their state government backed them up on (read that website, they let the states Attorney-General decide if the dude trying to lay claim to the land had any right), that' changes what, exactly?

They were angry that the northern states didn't agree with their "right" to own slaves. They were angry that the northern states wouldn't agree to be complicit with their slave-practices, such as allowing them to bring slaves with them to the North, return fugitive slaves to the South when they escaped, etc.

They then demanded that the Federal government relinquish control of a fort that their state government helped them procure, and since they waited a long time before opening fire that means?
    What part of "( not agreeing with it )" did you not understand in my post?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pangean View Post
    A siege is an act of war. It's ok for you admit you are wrong rather than this drip drip method you always seem to use.
    Of course it is. Admit I am wrong that if a fort is right there off the coast of one of your major ports and your goal is to win a conflict, you would ignore it? I do not support what they did. I do understand it from a strategic point of view however.