Quote Originally Posted by HeatherRae View Post
    People are allowed to be snarky, Sooba.
    Oh trust me, I'll be even more snarky to Sooba without breaking any rules on the forums. No one tells people how to post in a thread, that is up to the mods to regulate, not just Joe Random poster in thread #222827

Quote Originally Posted by Sooba View Post
    They already knew she had dragons. They weren't exactly unaware. And these are battle hardened Khals. I'm not sure shock really is a good enough explanation. >.>
    They already knew she had dragons, but just assumed that the legends surrounding the hatching were just that, legends. They probably didn't even believed the dragon tales either, given that dragons have faded into myth for a long time now.

And it doesn't matter how battle-hardened you are, EVERYONE loses their shit at the thought of being trapped in a burning building. They were also probably scared shitless of the pale girl who somehow wasn't burning despite being at the epicenter of a blazing inferno. I know I would be if I saw someone torching my building but standing serene among the flames grinning at me like a psycho. I'd try my hardest to get the fuck away. As far and as quick as I could.

Por que odiar si amar es mas dulce? (*^_^*)

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry, but that's a bit rich coming from someone who had to be told (twice) when I was responding to someone else. :P
    I knew who you were responding to. I responded anyway. I'm allowed to do that on a public forum.

And I didn't get that sense at all. They laughed at her sure. But I don't think they were necessarily dismissing that fact out of hand. It was common knowledge in that region of the world by that point.
    We have no reason to believe they'd ever seen her dragons.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    Oh trust me, I'll be even more snarky to Sooba without breaking any rules on the forums. No one tells people how to post in a thread, that is up to the mods to regulate, not just Joe Random poster in thread #222827
    What's glorious is how snarky he's been to people the entire time, yet he has the gall to tone police the rest of the thread.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    I knew who you were responding to. I responded anyway. I'm allowed to do that on a public forum.

We have no reason to believe they'd ever seen her dragons.

- - - Updated - - -

What's glorious is how snarky he's been to people the entire time, yet he has the gall to tone police the rest of the thread.
    You responded as if I had been addressing you, when I was talking to someone else. Now you're evading that and calling me the hypocrite...

And to be clear as to why this started:

Quote Originally Posted by Derah View Post
    Honestly, I don't give a rat's ass that she's not immune to fire in the books. Wanna know what I think? FUCK THE BOOKS. There, I said it. This thread is about Game of Thrones, not about A Song of Ice and Fire.

There's magic in this show, we've seen people that can multiply into many clones, people that can raise others from death, people who can mind-control animals, and telekinetically travel through time, and now some people are bitching that someone is immune to fire? for fucks sakes......

This is just like that bitching about that guy in the previous episode dual-wielding swords being "unrealistic" when previously we had a mulatto unarmored dwarf beating six armored knights unconscious with a fucking wooden sword. And we had a shirtless ramsay wading into battle with only a knife, and not get a scratch on him.

When are you going to understand that this is not a realistic show? realism flew out the window the moment those dragon eggs hatched. Almost every single complaint I've seen on this thread is "but BUT IN TEH BOOKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!". If you love those books so much, then by all means, go and make a thread about the books, and stop watching the show that is defiling your precious source material so much. Christ...... :S

On-Topic: I just loved today's episode. That last scene with Danerys walking out of the flames has to be the most fucking badass thing I've seen in TV history. Holy fucking shit!!!!!!!!!!!! O_O

Ohh and for those who say she hasn't "earned" anything she has, screw you. What do you say about Tyrion? he's no great warrior. He's not some master tactician or famed general in battle. What about Littlefinger? He too got his ass handed back to him the one time he was in a duel. Yet both of them have risen from nothing, into great positions of power. You don't need to be a great warrior to accomplish great things. The pen is mightier than the sword after all.
    This is the post that got me started on "book vrs show" and the policing you're complaining about. This is Derah's entrance. I think some pushback was not only warranted, but inevitable. This is the thread that was made for talking about the story as displayed both both books and show. There is another thread, which has been active, that is meant to be the discussion on show alone. It's really not meant to be a "get out of my thread!" statement. So much as it's explaining that if it really does bother you, there's another place you can go where it won't happen, because it's designed entirely for you.
    Last edited by Sooba; 2016-05-16 at 06:41 AM.

Yup he seems up in arms that people want to discuss the show that has progressed past the books. Books are a reference point not the Bible.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is the post that got me started on "book vrs show" and the policing you're complaining about. This is Derah's entrance. I think some pushback was not only warranted, but inevitable. This is the thread that was made for talking about the story as displayed both both books and show. There is another thread, which has been active, that is meant to be the discussion on show alone. It's really not meant to be a "get out of my thread!" statement. So much as it's explaining that if it really does bother you, there's another place you can go where it won't happen, because it's designed entirely for you.
    If we're talking explicitly and specifically about the show, rolling and and going, "This can't happen because in the books it's not true, therefore it's not true in the show" is dumb.

It's still dumb no matter how much you, or anyone else, tries to defend it. It's dumb as a box of rocks. Dumb as dirt. Etc.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yup he seems up in arms that people want to discuss the show that has progressed past the books. Books are a reference point not the Bible.
    Mischaracterization.

And this is the thread that is getting the most attention from fans of the show/books. People are well within their rights to discuss what happened on the show and don't have to be bombarded by people yelling about what happened in the books and Y thing is impossible. This thread is for BOTH the show AND the books. You are not required to discuss the books when mentioning things in the show.

Now stop acting like a mod telling people where to go post? It is getting annoying.

- - - Updated - - -

Mischaracterization.
    Call it what you want. You are trying to bash on people for discussing TV show elements when they don't want to refer to thins in the books. Why? Because the books and TV show are different and the TV show deviated on MANY facets from the books ages ago.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    If we're talking explicitly and specifically about the show, rolling and and going, "This can't happen because in the books it's not true, therefore it's not true in the show" is dumb.

It's still dumb no matter how much you, or anyone else, tries to defend it. It's dumb as a box of rocks. Dumb as dirt. Etc.
    Except that particular discussion strayed into "it's this way in the books too". I didn't say it absolutely could not happen in the show. I even agreed that it is very different between the two. Stop strawmanning my statements.

- - - Updated - - -

And this is the thread that is getting the most attention from fans of the show/books. People are well within their rights to discuss what happened on the show and don't have to be bombarded by people yelling about what happened in the books and Y thing is impossible. This thread is for BOTH the show AND the books. You are not required to discuss the books when mentioning things in the show.

Now stop acting like a mod telling people where to go post? It is getting annoying.

- - - Updated - - -

Call it what you want. You are trying to bash on people for discussing TV show elements when they don't want to refer to thins in the books. Why? Because the books and TV show are different and the TV show deviated on MANY facets from the books ages ago.
    Except I'm not bashing anyone for discussing TV show elements. I didn't say it was impossible within the show. GFJC.

If we're going to take the two together, yes the story is going to mean different things. And while you can choose to not discuss the books, I can choose to include them for a larger picture, or the show alone as well.

Edit: And Winter Blossom, I found the snapback scene (season 3). She very clearly reacts in fear, however only in anticipation (no explicit fire). As such, I'm going to call it far too ambiguous as evidence (could just be fear of being bitten). And certainly not being burned at all. Apologies for any confusion on my part. I stand by my statements re: GRRM's comments of course. But you're quite right about not being burned in that scene.
    Last edited by Sooba; 2016-05-16 at 07:06 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Did you expect GRRM to reply with "Yeah she will do that trick again in the future. Stay tuned."? It would've been a major spoiler don't you think? Hence "Probably not".

Also I recently re-watched the first season and in the episode where she unknowingly sacrifices her unborn baby to save her husband - the woman who did the blood magic described her unborn baby as having scales and bat-like wings. Dany is the mother of dragons, like literally. Maybe that's why she is so resistant/immune to fire.

Fits the lore in my books. (pun intended)
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

She appeared to be completely surrounded in flames.
    They could have rushed her. For Khals, they seemed too cowardly and not bloodthirsty at all. Drogo would have ripped her head by his bare hands while he was 10 seconds away getting 4th degree burn.
    Last edited by jdbond592; 2016-05-16 at 12:14 PM.

Deleted
    Oh, a new episode ! Oh, as usual, 10 pages of people bitching uselessly about book vs show ! Now, that's my Monday morning as I like it

What I thought about the episode :
    - Yay, Sansa reunited with Jon !
    - Smug Brienne is smug. Poor Davos
    - Snarky Littlefinger is snarky. Damn I've missed him
    - We've finally got a good Tyrion moment \o/
    - Shit will definetely be going down in King's Landing.
    - I didn't think they would off Osha this soon.
    - We finally got THE PINK LETTER ! \o/
    - Dany went out of the fire unburned. We've already seen that in season 1 though, I had a little feeling of déjà-vu

What is going North is still the strongest thing happening imo, but KL come second, now that Cersei's pulling strings.
    Last edited by mmoc586e3b8dfe; 2016-05-16 at 08:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jdbond592 View Post
    YOU WILL BURN!

makes so much more sense than you will die. Come on!
    Meh. Should have gone with the Goldfinger dialogue.

Moro: You expect us to serve?
    Dany: No, "Great Khal," I expect you to die!
    OMG 13:37 - Then Jesus said to His disciples, "Cleave unto me, and I shall grant to thee the blessing of eternal salvation."

And His disciples said unto Him, "Can we get Kings instead?"

Deleted
    Ooooohhhhh.

I AM HYPED GUYS §

10+ Year Old Account
    Great episode:

Dany immune to fire again. Maybe she can't do it always.
    Finally two Starks unite.
    Thank God no Dorne again.

And something I found suspicious: Jon telling Sansa: YOUR father would kill me. Isn't Ned supposed to be Jon's father? Or does Jon already know?

And lol at that preview. Yeah Bran is only having visions. Thats why they are all looking at him. But some people will just call that bad writing again.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    There was no scene of her getting burnt by her dragons on the show. Unless you can prove otherwise.
    Will save you both the time, Soobas wrong. She flinched as Drogon snapped at her with his teeth as she tried to interfere with her dragons while they were eating/playing around.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    Where'd you get that piece of dialog? Only thing similar to that I heard in the episode was,

Sansa: Where will you go?
    Jon: Where will we go. If I don't watch over you, father's ghost will come back and murder me.
    Sansa: Where will we go?

He never made a distinction, he referred to Ned as his own father as well
    Just watched it again, you're right. Dutch translation made it your father. The bastards. I was thinking I was on to something.

10+ Year Old Account
    North was fine again, exept the Brienne and Davos scene made me cringe.
    Tyrion carries the Mereen storyline.
    No comment on Daenarys ...
    "If you are what you HAVE and you lose what you have, what then are you? But if you are what you ARE and you lose what you have, no man controls your destiny".

Quote Originally Posted by Brubear View Post
    Originally, it really bugged me when the show really started deviating from the books. I got over it, but the main reason it used to bug me so much is because of how closely they followed the books in the first season. Just about all of the changes they made in the first season didn't feel like they were just changing things, but doing them for very good reasons (didn't play well in TV format or without the inner dialogue you get in a book, made more sense for the story, etc) though there were still a few minor quibbles I had. But then they changed even more things in the second season for seemingly arbitrary reasons. Then the third season there was even more things changed, and on and on. It took me awhile to get over that, because they seemed to switch from trying to do as faithful of an adaptation as they could to "while it's the same spirit, we're doing our own version of it".
    I think one thing many of us, myself included, do not realize is stuff like casting and labor laws. They merged a lot of characters together just to keep the cast from becoming too big. I know the way they schedule their shooting, it makes it horrible to have children under 18 in many scenes (scenes shot at night). I think it was the guy who played the hound in an interview, said he loved working with Arya because it guaranteed him a short work day.

Anyway, it would be interesting to see how many of the ´changes´ made from the books were done purely because of a logistical reason, and not just creative reasons as many here blame D&D for doing. Just thinking about all of the people who are under 18 and who are thrown all over the different locations, it must be a nightmare.

- - - Updated - - -

And, again to repeat, the show writers have been very clear that the book and the show are going to end in the same place. It's an adaptation, yes. But the attempt is to tell the same story.
    But because we do not know the ending, we do not know what parts of the books are important to maintain. It is like if we go back to season one and argue over some minor change... but then by season 3, we realize that Rob and Renly are dead, so no small detail the show changed about their character mattered anyway. We have no way of knowing what matters, but I am sure that Martin knows what is going on and gets to read the scripts way ahead of time.

So the real question is...how does this affect Dany's title? Are they going to say "The Unburnt" again or maybe "The Twice Unburnt?"