Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    Deleted

HALF of refugees claiming to be children in Austria are adults

Half of all migrants claiming to be children are lying, according to Austrian officials who say the 'juveniles' are sometimes in their 30s and have grey hair and beards.

The unnamed official told Austrian journalists: 'It is completely absurd. We have men turning up here with full beards and grey hair claiming to be children.'

Austrian officials said that of 2,200 asylum seekers claiming to be children, 951 were found to be considerably older following medical tests.

But under Austrian law every person claiming to be a juvenile has to be given child status, until medical tests can prove otherwise.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ia-adults.html

This is so fucking absurd. Why is austria not just demanding that they prove their age when they look much older than they claim to be when they say they are kids?

Deleted
    Wasn't this also the case Sweden? I remember seeing this some time ago in the news.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Wasn't this also the case Sweden? I remember seeing this some time ago in the news.
    It's more like 75%...

10+ Year Old Account
    Have you checked the story against an Austrian source? The Daily Mail are notorious for making stuff up and misrepresentation.

Note I am not saying it is not true, I just prefer to debate on things that happened rather than the Daily Mail's version of things that they have usually plucked out of their arse.

10+ Year Old Account
    Use science to counter that nonsense, then kick them out again if the test results are accordingly
    They're applicants for asylum. If they're fraudulent they need to get treated as frauds.

And I support to take in refugees. The honest kinds.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Have you checked the story against an Austrian source? The Daily Mail are notorious for making stuff up and misrepresentation.

Note I am not saying it is not true, I just prefer to debate on things that happened rather than the Daily Mail's version of things that they have usually plucked out of their arse.
    Yeah the Daily Mail lies, as usual..

http://kurier.at/chronik/altersluege-951-angeblich-minderjaehrige-fluechtlinge-wurden-2015-als-volljaehrig-eingestuft/197.594.141

951 refugees in 2015 made that claim.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

This has been a problem for ages; it's weird you never hear anything about it.

When I was a teacher we used to have real problems with all the African "children" who were clearly in their 30s always creeping on all the 13-16 year old girls. It was always super SUPER creepy, and pretty sick that the country's putting so many girls in clear danger just to not offend groups of people who are OBVIOUSLY lying just to get into the country.
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Yeah the Daily Mail lies, as usual..

http://kurier.at/chronik/altersluege...ft/197.594.141

951 refugees in 2015 made that claim.
    Lies as usual? Did you read the text?

Austrian officials said that of 2,200 asylum seekers claiming to be children, 951 were found to be considerably older following medical tests.

In your link:

Bei etwa 2200 unbegleiteten minderjährigen Asylwerbern hatte die Behörde im vergangenen Jahr den begründbaren Verdacht, dass sie älter sind. In etwa der Hälfte der drauf folgenden medizinischen Tests konnte dies auch bestätigt werden. Ganz abgesehen vom bürokratischen Aufwand haben diese Altersfeststellungen alleine 2015 mehr als zwei Millionen Euro Kosten verursacht.

With about 2,200 unaccompanied minor asylum seekers, the Authority last year had the justifiable suspicion that they are older. In about half of it following medical tests, this could also be confirmed. Quite apart from the bureaucracy these age findings have alone caused 2015, more than two million euros costs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rogueMatthias View Post
    This has been a problem for ages; it's weird you never hear anything about it.
    You can determine a person's age nowadays with DNA checks.
    There are other, much older but also more unreliable test methods.

In Germany the question was raised whether doctors going too far when it comes to the age determination.
    So, yes, some refugees do indeed try playing that card. But we're in times where it isn't that simple to get away with it anymore.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Julrusch View Post
    Lies as usual? Did you read the text?

In your link:

Bei etwa 2200 unbegleiteten minderjährigen Asylwerbern hatte die Behörde im vergangenen Jahr den begründbaren Verdacht, dass sie älter sind. In etwa der Hälfte der drauf folgenden medizinischen Tests konnte dies auch bestätigt werden. Ganz abgesehen vom bürokratischen Aufwand haben diese Altersfeststellungen alleine 2015 mehr als zwei Millionen Euro Kosten verursacht.

With about 2,200 unaccompanied minor asylum seekers, the Authority last year had the justifiable suspicion that they are older. In about half of it following medical tests, this could also be confirmed. Quite apart from the bureaucracy these age findings have alone caused 2015, more than two million euros costs.
    You can link the same sentence another 100 times, and it will still remain 951.
    And that is FAR from half the refugees.

There you go:
    http://www.unhcr.org/pages/49e48e256.html
    By June Austria has already 92,217

And that was before the main waves arrived.

The moment they are caught lying, I'd say that should be instant denial of asylum status, and ship them right back where they came from. We don't need people who start with crime as the first thing upon entering a country.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Deleted

There you go:

It was 2200 who claimed to be children, 951 were found to be older. ARE YOU NOT READING?

This was in the article you linked too

It is not about total amount of refugees, it's those who claimed to be children who are 2200 and 951 were found to be older of those 2200 who claim to be children
    Last edited by mmoc6507ea012b; 2016-05-16 at 01:45 PM.

There you go:

Well 951 out of 2200 is pretty close to half. They took a sample size and tested said group and came up with a rough estimate. This is nothing different from what people do when they have 'polls'. They select a test group and hold the poll, then apply that result across the spectrum.

So is the posting incorrect regarding its claims of half? Techinically based on their tested results...No
    Misleading? Yes

-EDIT-

Well Julrusch made things clearer for me. I thought they selected 2200 out of a larger group that were claiming they were children, when in fact it was just 2200 total whose claims were questionable.

As such, my above posting is not valid after getting this clarification.
    Last edited by Skalm; 2016-05-16 at 01:56 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Skalm View Post
    Well 951 out of 2200 is pretty close to half. They took a sample size and tested said group and came up with a rough estimate. This is nothing different from what people do when they have 'polls'. They select a test group and hold the poll, then apply that result across the spectrum.

So is the posting incorrect regarding its claims of half? Techinically based on their tested results...No
    Misleading? Yes
    No, it's 2200 who claimed they were children and 951 out of those were not children, it's not a sample size

Deleted
    And until they're proven to be adults, they can basically have sex with underage girls, thus being pedophiles? Well, what a surprise!
    Last edited by mmoc994dcc48c2; 2016-05-16 at 01:59 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    It's an opinion piece.
    Not even a research, it is literally a guy that wants to remain anonymous telling them stuff.
    At least Facebook isn't having this trending
    The source being unnamed does not mean the source is not credible. One of the reasons I asked if it had been checked against a Austrian publican is because I wanted to know if it came from a reliable source, who would investigate credentials and evidence prior to publication - which the Daily Mail would not do, because they are lazy hacks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    And until they're proven to be adults, they can basically rape underage girls? Well, what a surprise!
    Are juveniles usually allowed to rape underage girls? Not even in my crap-hole in Africa is that allowed... it's like there's no laws that would aim to stop children from committing crimes. Even if they were children, would you allow them to rape anyone? Please tell me no...

No, it's 2200 who claimed they were children and 951 out of those were not children, it's not a sample size
    Oh so out of the thousands, they had 2200 claim they were children, which was questionable so they checked them?

I thought they selected 2200 that claimed they were children out of a much larger group that claimed they were children.

10+ Year Old Account
    The 2,200 were those who were unaccompanied, not all the children, if I am reading it right.

This seems to be a story specifically about refugees who are unaccompanied minors, not refugee children as a whole, which is where the confusion is coming from.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skalm View Post
    Misleading? Yes
    That was the point all along. Misleading the people, which is a trademark of the Daily Mail.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    The 2,200 were those who were unaccompanied, not all the children, if I am reading it right.
    Yes, unaccompanied "minors".
    No mention of those that were in company of a parent or other adult.
    Which makes the claim an obvious lie lol

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadion View Post
    Are juveniles usually allowed to rape underage girls? Not even in my crap-hole in Africa is that allowed... it's like there's no laws that would aim to stop children from committing crimes. Even if they were children, would you allow them to rape anyone? Please tell me no...
    Thank you for pointing out that I used the wrong word, I actually wanted to talk about pedophilia but had a brain freeze.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, unaccompanied "minors".
    No mention of those that were in company of a parent or other adult.
    Which makes the claim an obvious lie lol
    Putting unaccompanied before children in the headline would fix the issue.

Daily Mail are so shit, you have to research their stories before being able to comment on them.