Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    Doubt it was full but even just 3 people working together can tip the scales heavily
    It's true - plus honestly, I'm probably barely in the top 50% of skill to bat, meaning: 2-3 awesome people could probably take down a team of 6 of me - it just feels like night and day between real synergy vs. a normal team with decent players. Games new, probably just me thinkinh into it too much

Quote Originally Posted by styil View Post
    So if we go by the figures used by people on these forums regarding Nostralius, then only less than 10% (970,000) people will be willing to pay for Overwatch.
    I don't understand this comment.
    Skoldier for life.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Freese View Post
    I don't understand this comment.
    Just ignore it, just another moany whine post about WoW.
    Yaaawwnnnn...

I'm far more critical of these numbers. Of course a lot of people tried it out, it was free and a Blizzard game with millions of people already opening the battlenet launcher daily. I'd be more interested to see how many people actually buy it and end up actually playing it.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    I played in the Overwatch beta for a very short time....and won't be playing it in the future. One of many...

I am more impressed about stability. During open beta servers were really stable and game play was smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by styil View Post
    So if we go by the figures used by people on these forums regarding Nostralius, then only less than 10% (970,000) people will be willing to pay for Overwatch.
    Potentially, yes but Overwatch does not require sub though.

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    Which is surprising that Blizzard is using it. I don't know if you guys all remember when Blizzard said this about WoW after sub numbers started failing?

"There are other metrics that are better indicators of the overall Blizzard business performance"

And yet the moment they have a big number to use, they spam that crap everywhere to show how good their game is. I, for one, find it to be in poor taste. As good as overwatch is, they didn't need to immediately go full hypocrite. The game will stand on its own merit.
    You realize there is a difference between Subscriber numbers for a game that
    has spikes of users
    is pretty much the only sub based game
    has microtransactions as well
    and the open beta of a new game, right?

It's incredible how hard people try to hate...

Quote Originally Posted by themaelstorm View Post
    You realize there is a difference between Subscriber numbers for a game that
    has spikes of users
    is pretty much the only sub based game
    has microtransactions as well
    and the open beta of a new game, right?

It's incredible how hard people try to hate...
    It's incredible how hard people try to defend Blizzard, despite their obvious hypocrisy.

Keep in mind here that the quote in question says "BLIZZARD business performance", not just WoW performance. They didn't want people looking at the sub numbers and using that information to assess how their game is doing. But the moment the numbers are in their favor, suddenly it's time to spam that crap as much as possible.

Look, I generally like Blizzard games. But this kind of behavior out of them is just wrong.

It's incredible how hard people try to defend Blizzard, despite their obvious hypocrisy.

Keep in mind here that the quote in question says "BLIZZARD business performance", not just WoW performance. They didn't want people looking at the sub numbers and using that information to assess how their game is doing. But the moment the numbers are in their favor, suddenly it's time to spam that crap as much as possible.

Look, I generally like Blizzard games. But this kind of behavior out of them is just wrong.
    Im pretty sure most gaming companies release information about how many people played in their open beta. They also announced sub numbers for ten years before abandoning it. People were getting too focused on number of subs = how well Blizzard is doing. Fact is, spamming the numbers is an advertising tool and Blizzard doesn't really need to advertise WoW anymore.

I see nothing wrong with them saying "look ten million people tried out Overwatch, you should too!" It might be hypocritical but you can't expect companies to comb through every word they have ever said in public to make sure they aren't being hypocritical. Furthermore it's all just marketing. Every company does it, and marketing is one of the most despicable parts of a business. They will do whatever they need to get the word out to the people.

It always surprises me when people get onto Blizzard for doing stuff that every other company in the world does.
    Ixila of Forgotten Aspects - US Hyjal 13/13 Mythic Hellfire Citadel
    My YouTube kill vids!
    Ixila - Holy Paladin - Armory | Ixtide - Resto Shaman - Armory

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I mean, everybody does it, it's common sense. When your game does well, you go "Look at how well it's doing! You should try it out to see what all the fuss is about!"

On the other hand, you don't come out and say "Well, our game's shit, look at this, nobody's playing it. Better stay away."

Quote Originally Posted by IxilaFA View Post
    Im pretty sure most gaming companies release information about how many people played in their open beta. They also announced sub numbers for ten years before abandoning it. People were getting too focused on number of subs = how well Blizzard is doing. Fact is, spamming the numbers is an advertising tool and Blizzard doesn't really need to advertise WoW anymore.
    My earlier point was that Overwatch doesn't need the spam. It's already doing plenty fine without the dick-waving of how many people tried their free demo weekend.

I see nothing wrong with them saying "look ten million people tried out Overwatch, you should too!" It might be hypocritical but you can't expect companies to comb through every word they have ever said in public to make sure they aren't being hypocritical.
    Actually, yes, we can expect them to keep their word and stay consistent. It's called being honest. The fact that you seem to think it's ok for a company to get away with this kind of thing is, quite frankly, frightening. Why do you think game companies do crap like this in the first place? Because they know fans like you will LET them.

I'm sorry, but game companies have to be held accountable for their actions just like anyone else.

Furthermore it's all just marketing. Every company does it, and marketing is one of the most despicable parts of a business. They will do whatever they need to get the word out to the people.

It always surprises me when people get onto Blizzard for doing stuff that every other company in the world does.
    See above. It's MORE surprising to me that people seem to think that Blizzard is somehow different from other companies, and leap to defend them even when they're doing something wrong.

The bottom line is that it's a scummy thing for Blizzard to have done. In the grand scale of things it's pretty minor, but just glossing over every thing Blizzard fails at is a weakness of the fanbase.
    Last edited by SirCowdog; 2016-05-16 at 04:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    This is pretty silly, really. How ever well you think it might be doing, it can always do better and have more PR to make it look good.
    At the cost of Blizzard's credibility? I think not. But apparently Blizzard doesn't need credibility because the fans will excuse anything they do. :|

At the cost of Blizzard's credibility? I think not. But apparently Blizzard doesn't need credibility because the fans will excuse anything they do. :|
    I think you're making mountains out of molehills here. They said they wouldn't keep publishing subscriber numbers for WoW, they never said that they wouldn't hype up other games. And even if they are being hypocritical it's such a tiny, tiny thing to be upset about. Who cares that they wanted to share how many people played Overwatch, regardless of what they said before?

In the vein of "people gloss over Blizzards mistakes" maybe it's because people are being rational and realize it's not a big deal. People like you act like everything Blizzard does that's not perfect is a personal offense when really it just doesn't matter. The fans aren't trying to excuse anything: we simply don't give a shit if Blizzard does something like this. It's not a fanboy thing, it's a "seriously who the fuck cares" thing.
    Ixila of Forgotten Aspects - US Hyjal 13/13 Mythic Hellfire Citadel
    My YouTube kill vids!
    Ixila - Holy Paladin - Armory | Ixtide - Resto Shaman - Armory

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafoel View Post
    Incredible, considering I've yet to meet a person on the Internet who hasn't played it.
    I did not play Overwatch.

Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    I played in the Overwatch beta for a very short time....and won't be playing it in the future. One of many...
    Congratulations, you aren't buying an objectively, universally fun game solely to make a point about it on internet forums and feel empowered.

- - - Updated - - -

Which is surprising that Blizzard is using it. I don't know if you guys all remember when Blizzard said this about WoW after sub numbers started failing?

"There are other metrics that are better indicators of the overall Blizzard business performance"

And yet the moment they have a big number to use, they spam that crap everywhere to show how good their game is. I, for one, find it to be in poor taste. As good as overwatch is, they didn't need to immediately go full hypocrite. The game will stand on its own merit.
    The other metrics they are referring to the very large number of players who use WoW tokens, game cards, or even those who only play 8-10 months out of the year.

It's better than say, LoL, using an incredibly deceptive metric such as "X active players per month" given that it's a f2p game there's bound to be a significant percentage of those players either testing out the game or who play very, very little.

Quote Originally Posted by xxreact View Post
    The other metrics they are referring to the very large number of players who use WoW tokens, game cards, or even those who only play 8-10 months out of the year.
    Active subs are active subs, regardless of how they're paid for(token/game card/CC).

Quote Originally Posted by xxreact View Post
    It's better than say, LoL, using an incredibly deceptive metric such as "X active players per month" given that it's a f2p game there's bound to be a significant percentage of those players either testing out the game or who play very, very little.
    Couldn't the same be said about the Overwatch beta, since it was free?

People will get upset at literally anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

That's a pretty crazy amount, I hope this game will last for years which I feel like it will