Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Salisbury, Rhodesia & Leiden , The Netherlands

do you donate to addon developers?

Simple question, after reading this (https://www.patreon.com/deadlybossmods?ty=h) i started thinking. Some developers indeed put a lot of time in developing addons most of all use. I'll be honoust: I use the addons but have never donated. How about you guys. Did you ever donate? If so, how much?
    "This is no swaggering askari, no Idi Amin Dada, heavyweight boxing champion of the King's African Rifles, nor some wide shouldered, medal-strewn Nigerian general. This is an altogether more dangerous dictator - an intellectual, a spitefull African Robespierre who has outlasted them all." - The Fear: Robert Mugabe and the martyrdom of Zimbabwe, Peter Godwin.

I was going to say no never, but then I realized I have indirectly in that I paid for Curse membership that in turn some money went to some developers.

10+ Year Old Account
    I never have donated to an addon developer but I also use almost no addons. I've never really thought about it, though. Maybe I should...goddamnit I feel guilty now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe we should create a poll or something. Options being "I will donate $1", "I will donate more than $1", and "I do not want to donate".
    HEROES NEVER DIE

10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't but I certainly appreciate their work.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Too poor to donate.

nope, never

Nope. My money I'll do what I wish with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumbasta View Post
    Simple question, after reading this (https://www.patreon.com/deadlybossmods?ty=h) i started thinking. Some developers indeed put a lot of time in developing addons most of all use. I'll be honoust: I use the addons but have never donated. How about you guys. Did you ever donate? If so, how much?
    I havent. I do use DBM exclusively, though.

I wonder how blizzard will respond since paid addons are a pretty big no-no.

10+ Year Old Account
    If it was an addon that I use and the author was asking for donations but not requiring it, YES I would help out. These people work hard to help YOU.
    Fanboy (Fanboi):
    1. A term used towards someone when a person disagrees with the said someone on a subject, person, place, thing, company, or product line and they are not smart enough to debate their counterpoints or facts, so they resort to childish name calling in hopes of shaming others into silence and thus them winning through dominance.* 2. A term used as a taunt/peer pressure technique to shape popular opinion through shame and humiliation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightwysh View Post
    I havent. I do use DBM exclusively, though.

I wonder how blizzard will respond since paid addons are a pretty big no-no.
    They aren't selling the addon. They are only asking for donations to help out. If they were restricting the complete addon, that would be a no-no. Zygors and Dugi circumvent that by offering the main addon for free but you have to pay for the unique created content of the actual guide files. (Which IS permitted) So I can see maybe in the future DBM would offer the base and older pieces for free but charge a small fee for the latest raids. (Which would be permitted)
    Fanboy (Fanboi):
    1. A term used towards someone when a person disagrees with the said someone on a subject, person, place, thing, company, or product line and they are not smart enough to debate their counterpoints or facts, so they resort to childish name calling in hopes of shaming others into silence and thus them winning through dominance.* 2. A term used as a taunt/peer pressure technique to shape popular opinion through shame and humiliation.

No.

Normally I'd say: if you think you're worth money, put a price tag on it. The problem with that is the internet freeloader age we live in. Any paid addon would end up pirated to no end anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Nope. Making addons for a game someone else owns isn't a job. It's a hobby. If you don't have time for that hobby then you shouldn't be spending time on it.
    Yet thousands of raiders benefit from his "hobby" work for nothing? I think that stance is a bit callous. but I'm sure if it was you putting all the hard work of testing, writing the scripts, and such for others enjoyment not just your own then you may feel different.

How about people who make lets say.... Replica swords for a hobby? If people start wanting to own some of his hobby then by your logic then he should either keep it for himself or give them away freely because you know... it is his hobby.
    Fanboy (Fanboi):

10+ Year Old Account
    I can play with 0 addons but i much prefer playing with Addons, addons making game more fun and comfortable. Some addons are real "life saver" like addons that block whispers from strangers

i.e. DBM-PVP addon makes Queue POP sound much louder when you are alt+tab so you dont missing queue even if you listening music, thats very useful.

oTears addon for random bgs, shows how much enemy player left BG which their name and realm, thats useful because when some one leaves another joined somes better geared some times worse geared.

I have about 50-100 addons installed but usually im using only like about 10 of them at same time, cas i dont want to overload cpu and RAM and i dont need all 100 at same time, i need them depending on situation

Im using Curse addons but also using addons that are not aviable on Curse for download like oTears(random bg stats) and "Give Me Peace" whisper blocking addon
    Last edited by Luckx; 2016-05-16 at 03:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bristae View Post
    Yet thousands of raiders benefit from his "hobby" work for nothing? I think that stance is a bit callous. but I'm sure if it was you putting all the hard work of testing, writing the scripts, and such for others enjoyment not just your own then you may feel different.

How about people who make lets say.... Replica swords for a hobby? If people start wanting to own some of his hobby then by your logic then he should either keep it for himself or give them away freely because you know... it is his hobby.
    I think that analogy is very poor. I don't think there is anything wrong with asking for donations though. I think it's a problem when money is required to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumbasta View Post
    nope. probably should. but some times i am too poor to even pay attention.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

10+ Year Old Account
    No, and I'm not going to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Never have I ever donated to an addon developer, but I appreciate their work.

Though, I do mine to report bugs and give feedback.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

No, never, cuz I use my own addons T_T I dun accept donations either

I talked to few big addon developers some time ago, even if addon has hundreds of thousands downloads each month, users themselves rarely donate money via PP or any other similar service But Patreon might be a better option, but one should have quite a big userbase to make profit.

P.S. As an addon developer I'll just say that you shouldn't feel bad, no one sane expects to receive donations.
    Last edited by ls-; 2016-05-16 at 03:39 PM.

No, never did and never will. People choose to make addons. If it costs so much time they can't work fulltime, they should stop making addons and do something that they get paid for instead. I mean, I appreciate it, and I use a few addons, but if it interferes with making money, they should stop.