10+ Year Old Account
    I honestly don't want to see Garrisnlul in FF-XIV.
    We already have 2 followers that we can send on missions, they are called retainers.

Designing such systems takes A LOT of effort and DEV time, time that has to be diverted from other forms of content, as can be seen in WoD.

Instanced Housing will probably be done via the upcoming apartment system.

As for redesigns: yes there are quite a number of areas in FF that would benefit from an overhaul.
    Class ability bloat would be one, horrible text menu interfaces (retainers/artifact chest) would be another.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    I honestly don't want to see Garrisnlul in FF-XIV.
    We already have 2 followers that we can send on missions, they are called retainers.

Designing such systems takes A LOT of effort and DEV time, time that has to be diverted from other forms of content, as can be seen in WoD.

Instanced Housing will probably be done via the upcoming apartment system.

As for redesigns: yes there are quite a number of areas in FF that would benefit from an overhaul.
    Class ability bloat would be one, horrible text menu interfaces (retainers/artifact chest) would be another.
    Content like?

More raids, played only by a minority, with the exact same reward structure? i.e. A reskin with variations in mechanics.
    Internet forums are more for circlejerking (patting each other on the back) than actual discussion (exchange and analysis of information and points of view). Took me long enough to realise ...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    Content like?

More raids, played only by a minority, with the exact same reward structure? i.e. A reskin with variations in mechanics.
    New features like deep dungeons crafting items 4mans yes raids likely story and more, this game isn't as one sided as wow in content

10+ Year Old Account
    Content like?
    I think non raid endgame content took the most severe hit in WoD by far.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    New features like deep dungeons crafting items 4mans yes raids likely story and more, this game isn't as one sided as wow in content
    The funny thing is, if I were to bring up for discussion something like Deep Dungeons (pre-announcement of course), I would be shouted down like I am now.

It's not that kind of game. Why are you trying to change the game?!1 It's not viable. It's a waste of resources that can be used for "other content". ... etc.

You people will chase me 3-4 pages. Back and forth. Such "conviction" ...

If SE says they are doing it ... nothing. The "conviction" vanishes.

LOL. If YoshiP shows up here in disguise and talks about Deep Dungeons, you guys will probably blow him off the same way you blow me off.
    Internet forums are more for circlejerking (patting each other on the back) than actual discussion (exchange and analysis of information and points of view). Took me long enough to realise ...

The funny thing is, if I were to bring up for discussion something like Deep Dungeons (pre-announcement of course), I would be shouted down like I am now.

It's not that kind of game. Why are you trying to change the game?!1 It's not viable. It's a waste of resources that can be used for "other content". ... etc.

If SE says they are doing it ... nothing. The "conviction" vanishes.

LOL. If YoshiP shows up here in disguise and talks about Deep Dungeons, you guys will probably blow him off the same way you blow me off.
    The only issue I have with Deep Dungeons is that it's absolutely side content. The fact that you will earn and use gear and/ or skills that ONLY work in Deep Dungeon mean that from a progression stand point, it's useless.

It looks like fun, and I'll check it out, and it is "content" but if it doesn't increase character power for other content, it's pretty useless aside from "for shits and giggles."

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    The only issue I have with Deep Dungeons is that it's absolutely side content. The fact that you will earn and use gear and/ or skills that ONLY work in Deep Dungeon mean that from a progression stand point, it's useless.

It looks like fun, and I'll check it out, and it is "content" but if it doesn't increase character power for other content, it's pretty useless aside from "for shits and giggles."
    Usable for progression?

Raiders: OMG it's mandatory!11!

/QQ great flood.

Damn if you do, damn if you don't.

If that content is fun and exciting, though...who gives a shit if it doesn't directly increase player power? "But muh progression!"...probably won't be any big power progression in 3.3, barring them granting access to the deep gobdip/twine for upgrading lore items.

I'm hoping they allow the eikon gear to be upgraded at some point, even if it's 3.4 or 3.5. Several of those pieces smoke the lore equivalent, despite the latter's higher ilvl (chest specifically comes to mind). Referring to the caster versions of that gear, btw.

The Competitive Gamer -
    • Hates grinds of any sorts and wants to get straight to the action with max convenience - except when the "inconvenience" doesn't particularly affect him and can be use to exclude others/keep others "below" them.
    • Winning is the name of the game. Establishing a hierarchy among players is of the utter most importance. Ladders and rankings are their best friend.
    • Flips out when developers make sudden changes without giving them time to prepare in anticipation of said changes or the changes disadvantages them and there is nothing they can do about it - i.e. winning is everything.

The RPG Player -
    • Wants a logically internally consistent parallel fantasy world to play around in.
    • Grinds/chores/inconveniences are OK if they make sense within the game world's logic and aren't created to artificially extend playtime.
    • Flips out when the developer fucks around with established lore and aesthetics.
    • Doing what they want is more important than their rank in the hierarchy - assuming they even recognise the existence of the hierarchy.

It's my theorem that pleasing those 2 types of players are mutually exclusive.
    The problem with your statement is that it's too extreme. You should focus much more on the "area under the curve". I.e. Myself am a hyper-competitive player in all things. However, I don't compromise what class I play, or what talent choices I used based on FOTM, etc. I play what I want to play based on the fantasy I'm interested in. I get upset when dev's fuck with lore/aesthetics/gameplay. I don't mind grinds as long as they are meaningful and enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    If that content is fun and exciting, though...who gives a shit if it doesn't directly increase player power? "But muh progression!"...probably won't be any big power progression in 3.3, barring them granting access to the deep gobdip/twine for upgrading lore items.
    Agreed, if the content is both fun and exciting its ok if it doesn't contribute to player power. However I could argue that it should. If you're going to put that kind of effort into a system there's little reason to not have it contribute.

Content like?

You still claim raids are played by a minority with absolutely nothing to support it. FFXIV's design has made raids very approachable for all types of players with Heavensward. Only Savage is a smaller clear rate, but nothing in Savage is detrimental from other content, really. It's just their starting point before they prune back mechanics for Duty Finder's version.

Could they use other things? Sure. And we've gotten:
    More Dungeons than most MMOs give through an expansion
    Trials
    Treasure Maps
    Hunts
    The Diadem
    Now the Deep Dungeon

I think it seems like they actively come up with more ideas to add that aren't just raiding quite often.

Glamour is the true endgame, you fool!

Regarding earlier discussion of housing:

It's definitely hard to say what the better solution is. Personally, I like the FC house. I have little interest in a house of my own since we got our FC one. The only thing they really need to add is enough to more closely allow for more plots to be available.

The thing I don't particularly like is how there are Free Companies that own a dozen houses on a server, but I'm not sure what a reasonable solution is to give more players a chance outside of "add a hojillion more plots."

Maybe the apartment system will offer enough housing for players to enjoy without a hojillion more house plots.

At the same time, instanced neighborhoods for FCs would be interesting. The FC claims the ward and each FC member can then buy a house in that ward so your FC ends up with a neighborhood. But then you have logistics of people leaving/kicked from FCs and their house being impacted, etc.

Deleted
    Hi guys quick question: Is there a way to emphasize group invites while browsing desktop? Like a loud sound, flashing task-icon or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    Agreed, if the content is both fun and exciting its ok if it doesn't contribute to player power. However I could argue that it should. If you're going to put that kind of effort into a system there's little reason to not have it contribute.
    I'd be cool with it if it granted unique glamours, mounts, minions, hell even house furniture or something. I recall them mentioning the items from the deep dungeons could be glamoured onto your current gear, but I'm referring to a unique item/set/whatever, a la WoW CM gold rewards. Something to prove "mastery" (for lack of better term) of said deep dungeon.

That being said, if there's a bunch of different systems in game like this proposed Deep Dungeon where the rewards are only cosmetic, then it does reach a point of "why even do any of this new shit when I don't get any tangible benefit, just some fancy new armor graphics, etc.". For example, I wouldn't even fuck with the anima weapon grind if it was for glamour only, because grinding it out isn't exactly the most fun thing to do.

Usable for progression?

/QQ great flood.

Fair point, and I agree, mostly. Doesn't have to be "progression" in the sense that you get a clear upgrade, I'm just thinking if you earned SOMETHING that was applicable outside of Deep Dungeons.

If they implement a tomestone reward into completing some floors though I think that would be totally fine, it's just another alternative to the other tomestone gathering methods and would be win win, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram View Post
    Hi guys quick question: Is there a way to emphasize group invites while browsing desktop? Like a loud sound, flashing task-icon or whatever.
    Yes; there's an option in the sound settings to play all game sound even when you are alt tabbed or else have the game minimized. System Configuration > Sound Settings > check/select Play Sounds When Window is Not Active. Great to have that whenever I step away for a snack while in queue.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    Yes; there's an option in the sound settings to play all game sound even when you are alt tabbed or else have the game minimized. System Configuration > Sound Settings > check/select Play Sounds When Window is Not Active. Great to have that whenever I step away for a snack while in queue.
    Awesome thank you.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's so much fun to chase you around waving torches and pitchforks though. ._.

- - - Updated - - -

Deep Dungeon [...] it's pretty useless aside from "for shits and giggles."
    Same as Diadem now and Gold Saucer.

Not all content has to be tied into main char progression. It's okay that there is all kinds of stuff people can be busy with as long as SE doesn't neglect the core of the game (IE: Sory quests, Dungeons, Trials and Raids).

15+ Year Old Account
    Usable for progression?

/QQ great flood.

Honestly, I want to see an MMO where raiding is almost a secondary consideration or an afterthought, where raiding is not catered to in a sense that the rest of the game has to tip-toe around it. A PvE game that develops lots and lots of new non raid content all the time. And it can't be one of those self-fellating open world PvP economy MMO's that are going to be the bestest sandbox MMO ever (*cough* Archeage, BDO).

It seems that FFXIV comes the closest in this regard, but it's still given a lot away in regards to class uniqueness and making raid balance central to end game.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    It's so much fun to chase you around waving torches and pitchforks though. ._.

- - - Updated - - -

Same as Diadem now and Gold Saucer.

Not all content has to be tied into main char progression. It's okay that there is all kinds of stuff people can be busy with as long as SE doesn't neglect the core of the game (IE: Sory quests, Dungeons, Trials and Raids).
    I agree that it's OK, wasn't trying to argue that everything has to lead into or be part of progression. It's just nice when it does in some fashion because it results in lots more people participating in it and therefore being (in general) more fun to do.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    I dunno...it always seems like people who talk about that mythical "sandbox mmo" really ought to just play something like Minecraft or Second Life. (Is that even still a thing?)

I just don't think that the "sandbox mmo" ideal is ever going to exist the way that people seem to wish it would. The closest you're going to get would be something like EVE (or yes, even Archeage) but beyond that, I dunno.

Perhaps Skyrim is a better choice for what a lot of "sandbox mmo" types are looking for.
    I'm not looking for a sandbox MMO, I'm looking for an MMO that doesn't center its end game PvE gameplay around raiding and cripple other aspects. I want games that feature tons of exciting new content that isn't just beat big baddie with tons of other people. GW2 actually manages to successfully do this, and I have a lot of fun with it, but there's only so much it can offer.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    (Not quoting everything cause lazy).

Issue with MMOs in general is that it's impossible to have everything to suit everyone. IMO, SE should put random things that may not interest everyone, but still something to do for those that want to, but that doesn't really mean they should slack on what the main focus was at the start, story, raid, trials, dungeons, etc. It's one of the things that they've done very well. That said, it doesn't mean it has everything. Currently I'm also playing PSO2 along with FFXIV. It's a different game and I just do things I want in that game and same goes with FFXIV, otherwise I wouldn't be playing any of em.