Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Aettis View Post
    She/her organization is also the reason Lucio came into existence. He grew up in those slums, and learned to use his music to heal those around him due to Sym's "better world," and as such, he kiiiiind of hates her.
    I like how both characters are right in their own way, but both philosophies are flawed in different ways. Lucio keeps people happy but poor, Symmetra forces progress upon them. They're more interesting and relatable than Morrison and Reyes.

What I don't understand is why, in the original trailer, with the two kids and the glove and everything, Widowmaker and Reaper seemed to be on one side, and Tracer and Winston were on the other, and yet in game, they're all one big happy family. I know there's story going on, but I never saw anything in any of the time I spent playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ringthane View Post
    What I don't understand is why, in the original trailer, with the two kids and the glove and everything, Widowmaker and Reaper seemed to be on one side, and Tracer and Winston were on the other, and yet in game, they're all one big happy family. I know there's story going on, but I never saw anything in any of the time I spent playing.
    The game isn't telling any particular story just yet. It may in the future, but for now it's just like HotS.

We know about the Temple of Anubis and Dorado.

Junkrat and Roadhog robbed the bank in Dorado, hence the start in the vault.

Temple of Anubis is an AI installation that Pharah, as part of Helix Security International, guards.

The characters have a lot of dialogue in game that tells the story. Widowmaker makes sassy comments to Tracer about "working on the same team for now" and Tracer snaps back at her. Same goes for a lot of the other characters. Like fun fact: McCree gave/made the guns Reaper uses, but resents Reaper for the way he uses them/throws them around.

gameplay/story segregation

15+ Year Old Account
    and yet in game, they're all one big happy family.
    Not so much, if you listen to the prematch dialogue.

But they're segregating gameplay and story for a very important reason, and telling a lot of the story incidentally through visual easter eggs and vague dialogue clips.

I enjoyed the new comic's story, probably the best yet, but boy, it sure looks like it was drawn in Paint by a talented amateur. The previous comics were of so much higher quality.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by t1saif View Post
    someone fucked up

[video=youtube;5w2-3Dn9PGg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w2-3Dn9PGg[video]
    Ok, I loved this cinematic, it's very beautiful and everything. Nice to see them start to work things out I suppose.
    Now... What's with the magic? The dragon summons and Genji disappearing in smoke? Overwatch is supposed to be set in our world, 60 years in the future.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Humle View Post
    Ok, I loved this cinematic, it's very beautiful and everything. Nice to see them start to work things out I suppose.
    Now... What's with the magic? The dragon summons and Genji disappearing in smoke? Overwatch is supposed to be set in our world, 60 years in the future.
    It's set in the future but not in our real world, unless the possibilities of giant apes becoming scientists is something we wanna be devoting our resourses to in the future :P

Overwatch is a super hero themed game, it always has been, but a more grounded superhero based theme. I see X-Men or Avengers type of theme with Overwatch.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    It's set in the future but not in our real world, unless the possibilities of giant apes becoming scientists is something we wanna be devoting our resourses to in the future :P

Overwatch is a super hero themed game, it always has been, but a more grounded superhero based theme. I see X-Men or Avengers type of theme with Overwatch.
    I'm sure they said it was set on our Earth 60 years in the future. Given that it is Sci-fi, and not fantasy though.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well, most of the heroes are obviously only using tech and not magic, but even in gameplay it felt pretty clear to me that Hanzo and Genji used mystic stuff, unless they have a technobabble explanation for shooting dragons from your bow.

I also get the feeling we'll see more mysticism/magic in future heroes.

So.. Reaper showing up out of thin air in a different location and turning himself into a floating half-smoke creature is normal? Tracer time travelling is normal? Summoning Dragons out of arrows is normal? I mean, I could go on and on... the point being, magic being part of Overwatch universe is nothing new and I don't know why you're complaining/wondering just now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Adoxe View Post
    So.. Reaper showing up out of thin air in a different location and turning himself into a floating half-smoke creature is normal? Tracer time travelling is normal? Summoning Dragons out of arrows is normal? I mean, I could go on and on... the point being, magic being part of Overwatch universe is nothing new and I don't know why you're complaining/wondering just now.
    Yep. Not sure what you talking about i am shooting dragons from my bow every day. That came out wrong.

holy shit its even better then Alive

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sure they said it was set on our Earth 60 years in the future. Given that it is Sci-fi, and not fantasy though.
    It's set on 'a' Earth. Just like how Marvel Universe is set on Earth, IF you played Overwatch you would know there are loads of stuff in teh game that are not even possible even in 100 years into the future... food for thought.

Also On Topic: The cinematic was awesome. Very narrative driven and carried more emotion than the previous cinematics which I loved. Glad they didn't go with the same formula on this one. Loved getting into the backstories of two very complex characters. And I want that music score
    Last edited by Orby; 2016-05-16 at 05:21 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattleya View Post
    Well, most of the heroes are obviously only using tech and not magic, but even in gameplay it felt pretty clear to me that Hanzo and Genji used mystic stuff, unless they have a technobabble explanation for shooting dragons from your bow.

I also get the feeling we'll see more mysticism/magic in future heroes.
    I suppose them having some mystic mojo makes sense, I just thought it was odd considering I thought it was set in a sci-fi world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adoxe View Post
    I always justified Reaper's abilities to something happening to him in that explosion he and Soldier 76 was in. Maybe affected by some experimental tech that changed him, like Tracer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    It's set on 'a' Earth. Just like how Marvel Universe is set on Earth, IF you played Overwatch you would know there are loads of stuff in teh game that are not even possible even in 100 years into the future... food for thought.

Also On Topic: The cinematic was awesome. Very narrative driven and carried more emotion than the previous cinematics which I loved. Glad they didn't go with the same formula on this one. Loved getting into the backstories of two very complex characters.
    A Earth rather than our Earth does make much more sense, I'm just really sure Blizz said our Earth. Oh well guess I was wrong! Thanks!
    Also I did play Overwatch, it's so fucking good. :3

Unrelated, those... classic(?) styled Japanese scenes looked really pretty.

7+ Year Old Account
    just watched the new animated short.
    holy fck, how emotional!

- - - Updated - - -

and an omnic with spiritual powers (zenyatta) is normal or what?

Formerly known as Arafal

"Magic is just technology we don't understand."

The 'Dragon' could simply be a hard light construct similar to the ones Symmetra uses, only genetically controlled and very refined. The vanishing smoke is just a refined smoke bomb.