Thread: Gtx 1080

Page 40 of 103 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    I wonder if people will give up on hyping async sooner or later. It's a 5-10% gain in all test cases we've seen so far. Which in real world terms is 5-10fps (if you're already going between 60~100fps). If you're only getting 40fps average in a game, async might gain you another 3-4 fps. That's all. It's not going to make or break anything and it's not a wonder-tech of any sort.

This isn't the be-all-end-all tech.
    That might be so currently but you are underestimating the importance of Async Compute.
    See the technology isn't only in use by DirectX 12, it's also in use and very much used in stuff like:
    1. Physics calculations (similar to PhysX only less impactful on performance)
    2. Virtual Reality (it is used A LOT, especially of course in LiquidVR which is, according to the HMD developers vastly superior to nVidia's VR)
    3. More effective compute for compute tasks (although less of an example than the others)
    4. Many many more.

Async Compute implementation is still in it's infancy and it's possibilities are endless and powerful, not a single developer would voluntarily leave this useless.

In comparison it's like asking a video encoder when using a CPU encoding task (which A LOT still do due to limitations GPUs have) to use a Quad Core i5 instead of a Quad Core i7 with HyperThreading because "It's just hype" and the only thing he'll ask you is "Are you mad?!".

Asynchronous Compute is anything but just Hype, it is the future of use just like HyperThreading (or better named Simultaneous Multi-Threading) for anything that will be multi-threading capable... which all new APIs will be.

I'm not saying it's providing an über benefit RIGHT NOW, but it WILL do so sooner rather than later and ignoring it is a foolish mistake.

Well it's only another leak but here it is anyways http://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-g...12-benchmarks/

1080 is beating CF fury and 390 in this one, loses just barely to the pro duo, we will find out soon enough.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigvizz View Post
    Getting tired of these Maxwell rebadge arguments. Wccftech has a pretty good write up about the 1080, Read it.
    You're going to have to blame Nvidia for saying Pascal = Maxwell + FP16/FP64. It obviously had change in design compared to Maxwell but how it pans out we don't know until it get's released and properly tested.
    Maxwell didn't exist until 20nm Planar didn't pan out and Pascal was meant for 20nm with Volta being 16nm.

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    4. Many many more.
    no copping out

I'll get a GTX 1080 next year after the bugs have been worked out a little. I'm kinda annoyed my GTX 980 Ti ran passively at 61C for a few months until I downloaded Precision X to increase the fan speed to make it run at about 35C-39C.

The 980 I had before NEVER ran over 60C, even under heavy load like Rise of the Tomb Raider on max settings, etc.

I seriously hope the 1080 runs a lot cooler.

10+ Year Old Account
    What I find truly amazing is that people still bother benchmarking the 1080 at 1080p.

Seriously...

Quote Originally Posted by Oftenwrongsoong View Post
    They just announced the GTX 1070 for $379, and it's faster than Titan X...
    I paid $500 for GTX680. I gotta say though I have been using it for years and it runs ALL games on decent settings!

I cannot relate to half the people who post in here, why does the architecture matter more than performance? Who cares if its similar to maxwell?? Truly mindboggling commentary from mmo champ boards.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    What I find truly amazing is that people still bother benchmarking the 1080 at 1080p.

Seriously...
    It's the most popular resolution by far. You'd be an irresponsible journalist if you didn't include it.
    Last edited by mmoc982b0e8df8; 2016-05-17 at 05:08 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon Claws View Post
    I'll get a GTX 1080 next year after the bugs have been worked out a little. I'm kinda annoyed my GTX 980 Ti ran passively at 61C for a few months until I downloaded Precision X to increase the fan speed to make it run at about 35C-39C.

The 980 I had before NEVER ran over 60C, even under heavy load like Rise of the Tomb Raider on max settings, etc.

I surely hope you aren't running your fan upwards of 80%+ all the time...

Poor card..

my GTX770 Lightning still runs all current games on "high" settings. That card got so much value.

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    Seriously...
    Mate they're not going to skip the one resolution 90% use.

If the 1070 equals or outperforms a Titan you can't even say "oh for that kind of money you should get a better screen" cause it's 350 dollars not 1000.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon Claws View Post

On air or water? 60C is not hot at all, in fact it's far below average on air and about that on water.

No its true, if you buy a 1070 or 1080 and are still on a 1080p 60hz screen you need your head checked.

1070 for 1080p is fine

not ideal but fine

10+ Year Old Account
    I am interested in 1080, I bought 1440p monitory about half a year ago and 290X is driving it decent but struggles there, if you crank up details in latest games and I am a big fan of all kinds of bullshit shaders and other fluff that gives 5% better quality at 50% less performance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    I cannot relate to half the people who post in here, why does the architecture matter more than performance? Who cares if its similar to maxwell?? Truly mindboggling commentary from mmo champ boards.
    Cause architecture determines performance. It also used to determine the ability to play new games, but we haven't seen graphic features since DX11 was introduced. For example, if Pascals architecture is similar to Maxwells, then it should perform similar in performance. Therefore, not very good DX12 performance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Cause architecture determines performance. It also used to determine the ability to play new games, but we haven't seen graphic features since DX11 was introduced. For example, if Pascals architecture is similar to Maxwells, then it should perform similar in performance. Therefore, not very good DX12 performance.
    Technically it's more similar to GCN1. Nvidia shouldn't really have said Pascal = Maxwell + FP16/FP64 when they did their slide. Possible it changed at some point when they first announced it till now. It may have been as mentioned above before they changed it.

10+ Year Old Account
    As long as they can bruteforce their way to the top, it won't be an issue. Nvidia is really good at packing raw brute strength over smart technology and this approach actually works.

@Dukenukemx you said
    Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks Pascal is looking like Maxwell with a speed bump
    That is literally one of the craziest things ive ever read. You would rather see a radical change of architecture than a performance gain for ..art sake? I just simply cannot grasp your logic, and would love to see you explain yourself.