Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    They should just open it for the community to do. I'm pretty sure there would be plenty of people helping.

Quote Originally Posted by MakeMeLaugh View Post
    They should just open it for the community to do. I'm pretty sure there would be plenty of people helping.
    Yeah, cuz everyone knows the restaurants that serve the best food are the ones that open up their kitchens to random volunteers.

As much as I would like something like that I think its unrealistic considering even some artifact weapons are low resolution compared to past expansion weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieterman View Post
    Wouldn't care too much, but enough to post this: It's a lot of work, it's mostly pointless and there's tons of people that will hate the new versions.
    pretty much all skimpy gear has stretched, ugly textures, and they'd probably make them cover more skin if they were ever updated.

couldn't hurt to make the game look better. I don't see it as that urgent, but if the art team is finished with the tasks at hand, I don't see updated old gear as a waste of time.

Herald of the Titans Valnoressa's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    As someone who works with the WoW models almost everyday and regularly skins them for "reasons" I can say that this is quite a time consuming task that people really underestimate. I'm no blizzard artist but even just re-skinning/upscaling and updating one armor set takes quite a far amount of time. Doing it for many sets seems like more trouble than it's really worth too.

Here's an example:

Above is Whitemane's hat as appears in game (old model I know, but it looks the exact same on the new model so it doesn't matter.)

The texture resolution for this hat is a pathetic 64 x 64. Smaller than your avatar here on MMO-Champ.
    Most old textures have incredibly small sizes like this that the game is already upscaling (and stretching into a blurry mess) across your fancy WoW model races.

Above is my edit which took around about 3 hours to do the texture work on for just the hat alone. 3 Hours is a long time to spend on one old texture.

I upscaled it, reskinned it so that it wasn't a blurry mess, made the jewel on the front 3D and did my best to make that intricate design on her hat look right while taking some liberties from the original look.

Basically, as cool as it would be to get up-rezzed nice looking armor... it's really not worth the time it would take the designers to take attention off the new and important content to go back to re-do armor that doesn't look that great in the first place.
    Butts.

it would be really nice for them to update everything in the game. old models all over the place, old gear models.

even old world drop greens. don't change the models at all, just bring their textures up to the new stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    Yeah, cuz everyone knows the restaurants that serve the best food are the ones that open up their kitchens to random volunteers.
    Woow, this was dumb as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by arceuid View Post
    pretty much all skimpy gear has stretched, ugly textures, and they'd probably make them cover more skin if they were ever updated.
    i doubt that.

there are some cases of old gear though, it has patches missing in places and it's not even a revealing spot... it's just a gaping hole in the armor. like the leather set from sunwell. has a random patch of armor missing under the arms, there's no side boob or underboob. it just there. it looks stupid. things like that should be fixed. but other than that, i'd hope they'd leave them all intact, even though i do hate bikini plate.

Blizzard said update older armor models to higher definition will take way too much (inb4 costs a raid tier joke), but they will use older sets as inspiration for newer sets. Take the Warrior's Tier 18 Iron Wrath set - it takes inspiration from the Warrior Tier 2 Wrath set from Classic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudex View Post
    With the new wardrobe and transmog system coming out, I think its about time that Blizz up the resolution on some of the older gear that is transmoged alot, like the tier sets. The Judgement set on tauren looks so pixelated I need to play gnomes or goblins for gear to look like its close to HD...
    It would be great, but they've answered this before. There's going to be a ton of work, just to update the armor/weapons alone. A new code has to be made for them etc. I don't recall all they said, but they tried to explain it once.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MakeMeLaugh View Post
    Rather not have to rely on modding from other people, Add-Ons is one thing, but art work I rather not. This isn't Skyrim.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i doubt that.

there are some cases of old gear though, it has patches missing in places and it's not even a revealing spot... it's just a gaping hole in the armor. like the leather set from sunwell. has a random patch of armor missing under the arms, there's no side boob or underboob. it just there. it looks stupid. things like that should be fixed. but other than that, i'd hope they'd leave them all intact, even though i do hate bikini plate.
    They already did it with some really old vanilla textures. Not in one batch, but over time.

Ravager's woolies for example. Used to be literally fishnet with some scales attached, now you have something that looks like human male underwear beneath it.

Many old plate leg armour used to be much more revealing, templar, revenant and some others of the same design as far as I remember.

Also, new HI-RES Winter Veil costume for females - that about sums it up.

Btw the chest armor you're talking about is just texture made for sleeveless armour, only with sleeves added from an armour meant for one with sleeves. Lots of old items combine parts of textures of different items, only some make it more apparent than others.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    It would be great, but they've answered this before. There's going to be a ton of work, just to update the armor/weapons alone. A new code has to be made for them etc. I don't recall all they said, but they tried to explain it once.
    Code? For what? For changing (re-drawing) texture from 64×64 to 512×512?

I'm not saying it's an easy job, but please, don't make it sound too complicated.
    Last edited by Louz; 2016-05-17 at 07:29 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    the cost of up-resing old armor is just something that doesn't really need to be done, and the resources it would cost to do so would be better used on other things (newer things).
    Hi

Herald of the Titans Chain Chungus's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's not like it has to be all or nothing. Update a few here and there over time.

They also need to update the old mounts. I have at least a hundred mounts I don't want to use because they clash with my higher-definition character model.

Fix helms instead. WoD's helm quality is inexcusable.

I get really worried when I look at some Artifact models on WoWhead, I hope its just because it is on a Beta stage but then again this went through WoD:

The sword feels like low resolution compared to anything else around it, its really sad

This what I'm talking about artifacts, most runes and other little things look very pixelated when you zoom a bit into them:

Some older models look a better imo:

No, they just need to remove them, like all the other terrible things plaguing this game.

/s

I really hope not. Every time they spend resources on fixing something old, whatever expansion they're doing it for suffers massively.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    And this is why I argued transmog never should have been added.
    "Don't add one of the best features WoW has ever seen to the game because people could ask for something in the future." Makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnosh View Post
    [IMG]http://i66.tinypic.com/2lseiwj.jpg[IMG]
    The sword feels like low resolution compared to anything else around it, its really sad
    The CM sword is an abomination anyway, regardless of its resolution.

There's no way they'll ever invest the time into updating all the old stuff, as much as I'd love that, but I do really wish they would up-res some of the most iconic old stuff. Tier sets was a good example. The racial mounts would be my #1 though.
    Last edited by Draeth; 2016-05-17 at 02:26 PM.