Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've been contemplating streaming myself

I think I could be the next Markiplier if I got drunk, played games, and cracked jokes.

My inbox indicates i'd have a hell of an audience.

If you think they are rich you have not watched some league of legends streamers that have like 3x or more viewers and subs than people like soda.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GodlyBob View Post
    Streamers aren't really going to come from big money. Granted, they probably didn't grow up poor if they had enough time and money to devote to streaming, but they still did earn an audience through work and effort which turned into revenue. Even if you're not a part of their target demographic, saying they didn't do anything is kind of disingenuous. I don't listen to Taylor Swift, but she still did do something to make her money if none of it was from me.
    Does Taylor Swift actually contribute more to society than the average field worker that picks your food, or the oilfield worker that slaves all day so you can fuel your car, or the sewer worker that literally puts up with shit all day long just so you can flush and not worry, or an engineer that designs things, or a doctor that saves lives. Fuck Taylor Swift and entertainers in general because they contribute so much less in the grand scheme of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichifails View Post
    Work 80-100 hours a week, every week of the year, skip birthdays, holydays and pretty much most other events to entertain people that are stressed and want to relax a bit or people that feel the need to interact with someone.

Get a lazy moron that will probably have any job he can do replaced by automation within 3 years shit talk you on forums because he has a "college degree" like that's a fucking achievement.
    Playing videogames is really hard work. You're really putting them on a pedestal, not that I don't like them. The popular ones have got it really good, and although they do put some time into their busy schedules to edit videos, or doing community events, it's not like it takes a huge amount of skill to do what they do, outside of the game skill itself. (Which comes with the huge time investment they're putting in)

And do you know why people are proud of their college degrees? It's because they took 4 years out of their life in order to achieve something, which is more than anything you've achieved by shitposting on a forum about World of Warcraft. Get off your fat fucking ass and take a good look at yourself.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nanook12 View Post
    Okay you are right. I admit that I am jealous of what they have, but how is it good for a society that common people whom perform essential tasks and contribute more for society get treated the worst?
    You can always start your own company doing whatever you're doing right now. You're going to have to put in a lot of work at first, take on a lot more responsibility than you do now, and probably earn less than you do right now. However, with enough time and effort, you might be in a place to start earning money like the CEO of any other fortune 500 company.

That really is how becoming a youtube personality works, indie developer, comedian, or pretty much any other occupations that takes requires no work or skill to succeed. It takes a lot to start, you're making next to nothing, and most people who try don't make it.
    /\ Was this sarcasm? Are you sure?
    || Read it again, I'll wait.
    || The results may surprise you.

ITT: People that are salty that they are working slave-wage jobs while people make use of their skills and make actual money.

Does Taylor Swift actually contribute more to society than the average field worker that picks your food, or the oilfield worker that slaves all day so you can fuel your car, or the sewer worker that literally puts up with shit all day long just so you can flush and not worry, or an engineer that designs things, or a doctor that saves lives. Fuck Taylor Swift and entertainers in general because they contribute so much less in the grand scheme of things.
    With that logic why do you even play video games or watch movies/TV?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    You're so perceptive. Is that YOUR skill?
    I can wreck pretty hard in Pokemon competitive battling so no, you're wrong.

So there's 2 emerging viewpoints of compensation - social responsibility and profit pushing.

Not going to lie, most of these personalities that have been named aren't actually notable for anything else, other than a really good marketing/advertising campaign. And lots of content (which surprise, surprise, doesn't take much time to edit).
    Whoever loves let him flourish. / Let him perish who knows not love. / Let him perish twice who forbids love. - Pompeii

10+ Year Old Account
    According to society, that's exactly the case. Because people are willing and able to pay more for Talor Swift than they are Jorge.

Comfort yourself with the idea that they'll be financially irresponsible, sink that easy money into useless things, and have all of their more "mature" hopes and dreams dashed once they fall out of the spotlight.

I'm frankly more pissed at the people who give certain undeserved people "celebrity" status, online or offline.
    "Bananas, like people, sometimes look different when they are naked." Grace Helbig

Without entertainment a large amount of people would probably lose themselves to despair and commit suicide or worse, so no, I don't think they're contributing less.

Quote Originally Posted by Chirri View Post
    Comfort yourself with the idea that they'll be financially irresponsible, sink that easy money into useless things, and have all of their more "mature" hopes and dreams dashed once they fall out of the spotlight.

I'm frankly more pissed at the people who give certain undeserved people "celebrity" status, online or offline.
    Not everyone has your impulses.

Deleted
    Lot of people saying that streamers work hard. Which is true in particular of those who can pay the bills from it.

But to suggest that hard work alone is enough to become successful is a lie, they all required a fair chunk of luck at some point early on, and many will readily admit that. Like most entertainers you need your "big break" and after that you can start making your own luck.

Taylor Swift has her songs written for her, this is known. So that provides a job for a group of people that sit together and come up with a song. While brainstorming, they order a pizza. They stay together in a hotel, they spend the money they are making from Taylor's record label wherever they are staying.

After they finish the song, they present it to Taylor/the album's producer. The producer then hires session musicians to play the instumentals for the album. Those session musicians return home when they are done with a bank account full of money to spend, fueling the economy. They might even be in bands themselves, and that money can launch their careers, which in turn hires roadies, event organizers, etc.

We now get to the point where the album is done. The album is then pressed by factory workers, distributed by shipping companies and hosted online by major corporations with thousands of employees. All of these people are compensated for the work they did.

Taylor's album sells well, people now want to see her in concert. An event organizer gets paid to set the event up. The venue takes a cut. They then hire staff for the concert: security, ushers, people selling snacks/merch, etc. Maybe even some scalpers can get in on some quick cash outside.

So by the time Taylor has finished her concert, her stupid little popsongs have paid many people their weekly, monthy, sometimes even annual wages. She is literally more important that some replaceable field worker.

I don't even like Taylor Swift and I can see the merit in having major pop stars/musicians/actors.

Deleted
    Wayne Rooney

300K a week , and he is shit, like really shit.

Quote Originally Posted by JakeCC View Post
    Playing videogames is really hard work. You're really putting them on a pedestal, not that I don't like them. The popular ones have got it really good, and although they do put some time into their busy schedules to edit videos, or doing community events, it's not like it takes a huge amount of skill to do what they do, outside of the game skill itself. (Which comes with the huge time investment they're putting in)

And do you know why people are proud of their college degrees? It's because they took 4 years out of their life in order to achieve something, which is more than anything you've achieved by shitposting on a forum about World of Warcraft. Get off your fat fucking ass and take a good look at yourself.
    I have a Mechanical Engineering degree with a masters in Robotics and Nanotechnology. I had the option to start a phd at 23 but I refused because I preferred to work as a freelance LoL analyst/personal coach. I make more money this way, get to travel quite a bit for free in most parts of the world and I have the option for a "normal" job if I ever need it. I'm also taking Automatics and Applied Informatics (only going to exams thingie kind of deal) as a 2nd university.
    For the most part, doing LoL analysis was more annoying to pull off properly than anything I had to learn.

If you think you deserve something just because "it took 4 years of your life" then there's your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Lover View Post
    Taylor Swift has her songs written for her, this is known. So that provides a job for a group of people that sit together and come up with a song. While brainstorming, they order a pizza. They stay together in a hotel, they spend the money they are making from Taylor's record label wherever they are staying.

After they finish the song, they present it to Taylor/the album's producer. The producer then hires session musicians to play the instumentals for the album. Those session musicians return home when they are done with a bank account full of money to spend, fueling the economy. They might even be in bands themselves, and that money can launch their careers, which in turn hires roadies, event organizers, etc.

We now get to the point where the album is done. The album is then pressed by factory workers, distributed by shipping companies and hosted online by major corporations with thousands of employees. All of these people are compensated for the work they did.

Taylor's album sells well, people now want to see her in concert. An event organizer gets paid to set the event up. The venue takes a cut. They then hire staff for the concert: security, ushers, people selling snacks/merch, etc. Maybe even some scalpers can get in on some quick cash outside.

So by the time Taylor has finished her concert, her stupid little popsongs have paid many people their weekly, monthy, sometimes even annual wages. She is literally more important that some replaceable field worker.

I don't even like Taylor Swift and I can see the merit in having major pop stars/musicians/actors.
    Citation please.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    I see your talent is actually disarming my passive-aggressiveness with talk of Pokemon.

Well played.
    Sorry Pokemon has been on my mind lately

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chirri View Post

Psh, they're internet personalities, not professional athletes. Pot and anime collectibles tend to cost less than escalades and tigers.
    /\ Was this sarcasm? Are you sure?
    || Read it again, I'll wait.
    || The results may surprise you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GodlyBob View Post
    Psh, they're internet personalities, not professional athletes. Pot and anime collectibles tend to cost less than escalades and tigers.
    Can...
    Can I sig this?

Quote Originally Posted by Melkandor View Post
    Citation please.
    Citation for what lmao that's how the world works. Taylor Swift doesn't record, produce, print and distribute her albums on her own. That's literally impossible.
    If you are talking about writing her own songs, she has co-writing credits on all of her songs but only sole writing credits on a couple songs per album with the exception of Speak Now