Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Have WoW players become too volatile?

It seems like WoW players these days have become highly sensitive to any changes that occur in WoW. Any change causes a huge uproar across the internet. It feels like there is a constant tug-of-war between the devs and the players on any change that they make for Legion:

Flight
    Ability Pruning
    Talenting/Speccing costs
    Gold Sinks (spider mounts)
    Order Hall mission tables
    Nostralius
    Dalaran Sewers, just to name a few.

Have WoW players become too volatile? Or are the devs just extremely out of touch these days?

We've become this, or well we might actually don't. You have to remember the people you see on these forums and such are properly the minority of all WoW players.

Personally I get mad over Ability Pruning, because most classses currently for me atleast are batshit easy. I don't understand what you can do wrong. Yet you have Jimmy who doesn't know what he is doing, and needs the pruning so he can do decent DPS. That will come at a sacrifice for me, that I'll lose what I have, and my class becoming even more easier. Most classes on live is down to 3 spells where theres no RNG at all (I main hunter).

But now I'm down to 2 spells and I'm going to complain about the change and want it reverted. Jimmy however is happy, he cannot play wrong anylonger. But the thing is. JIMMY NEVER ACTUALLY posted anything on any forums. So you DO NOT see his opinion.

As for Raid fights, those players are baddies that just want everything to be like LFR, they are spoiled as all. If it has the change to kill you, it needs a nerf. Raiders and such have no respect for them. Including myself.

Quote Originally Posted by styil View Post
    Have WoW players become too volatile? Or are the devs just extremely out of touch these days?
    I think it's a generational issue. Most of the people playing WoW today aren't the same as 10 years ago or even 5 years ago. The second generation of wow-players are way more vocal than the first generation.

This shouldn't even be a question, the Devs are amazingly out of touch.

I think that the developers are trying to give as many as possible, as much as possible of what they want. Is it always right? Of course not. But to change the gameplay too little would hurt more than to change too much, atleast I think so.

I had alot of fun when I played vanilla, and each expansion after it until WoD. My personal problem with WoD is most lore, and too much focus on raid content. And of course the damn garrison.

I dont have beta and has not looked very much on streams, etc. but I do not believe people who says that every spec is 2-3 buttons, but I guess we'll see soon

There have always been a lot of idiots like that. Thing is, they spend way more time whining on forums nowadays.

Deleted
    I bet it's only a VERY small minority of people that does this, but make A LOT of noise.

Quote Originally Posted by Vidget View Post
    I think it's a generational issue. Most of the people playing WoW today aren't the same as 10 years ago or even 5 years ago. The second generation of wow-players are way more vocal than the first generation.
    ikr, back 10 years ago when WoW was in black and white and smoking was good for you, we had a much better crowd of players. kids nowadays dont understand how hard it was to save up for a mount so we wouldnt look like country bumpkins when we came to the big city of Stormwind. Ive been retired from WoW for a whole 9 months now and the garrison rest home made me realize it was time to step aside and let the facebook game generation take over. I guess the old generation just turned into grumpy old men unwilling to deal with the changes...

Quote Originally Posted by Pull My Finger View Post
    There have always been a lot of idiots like that. Thing is, they spend way more time whining on forums nowadays.
    probably cuz there's nothing to do in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Thoughtful Trolli View Post
    probably cuz there's nothing to do in the game.
    Them poor things. What are they supposed to do with their lives.

Is it weird to get in an uproar about some stuff that is changed by Blizzard? Some core stuff that atleast you find important?
    I mean if you care about flight being removed or unobtainable for a long period, would you not write something?

Now consider this:
    You've been playing this game from day 1 (or so) you've had amazing adventures for years but you do start to notice some decline in (for you) core elements of the game. Like a good little "beaten wife (syndrome)" you stick around and hope Blizzard will "change back into the one you love", but it doesn't happen. And yet you keep playing the game hoping against all odds that it will get better. It doesn't. But after a while you muster the courage to "rant" about it on the forum. And it turns out there are a lot of other players outthere who feel the same. And isn't this a bit like therapy? Seek out others like yourself?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcanines View Post
    Most classes on live is down to 3 spells where theres no RNG at all (I main hunter).
    There's not a single class that is "down to 3 spells". Hyperbole much?

Quote Originally Posted by khazmodan View Post
    I guess the old generation just turned into grumpy old men unwilling to deal with the changes...
    but but but you quit... isn't that the same thing?

It's pretty simple: WoD is so bad that people can't focus on the game, instead they see how out of touch the developers are.

Quote Originally Posted by Deldramar View Post
    I will say that as someone who has never complained about most expansion changes, I found Legion's ability prune to feel a little over the top. Logging into a Holy Pally on the beta server felt like I took quite a hit to utility with the removal of Rebuke, Denounce, and Sacred Shield.

I haven't really followed what classes are losing what and am not really looking to get into an argument or anything over this, but I definitely felt that Holy Paladin was missing quite a bit of spells compared to previous expansion prunes.
    I would agree about Rebuke. Something I used so many times (mainly cause the dps and tank haven't figured out where their button is). I used Denounce at times... but is it really required? How many times did you press it during WoD? I can count the number of times I used it. Sacred Shield? I haven't casted ONCE during WoD. As I don't PvP, I am not sure how handy it is.
    So... while I get it feels like you are gutted. Hell I am still pissed about Divine Intervention (even if the spell itself is kind of worthless it atleast was fun).

10+ Year Old Account
    They do indeed seem to be evaporating...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by styil View Post
    It feels like there is a constant tug-of-war between the devs and the players on any change that they make for Legion
    theres a big difference between a small vocal minority and the huge silent majority. I think alot of people would be cool with changes.
    Hi

Natural selection.
    The people prepared to quit over changes have quit.
    The people who'll complain but not quit are the only ones left.

10+ Year Old Account
    And the forums here are filled with people who have quit and still dislike the changes, because we'd like to return but the changes are making the game even less appealing. What they're doing to Ret I'd weigh as about 25% of my decision on whether or not to buy Legion, I find the majority of changes to the Ret playstyle to be downright terrible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    I bet it's only a VERY small minority of people that does this, but make A LOT of noise.
    This is the hand I would push my chips in on. A lot of these people are even crazy enough to have handfuls of accounts that sit around and agree with themselves. I remember this happening a lot in the flying thread. Then a ton of people even flat claim to sign partitions and vote in polls dozens if not 100s of times with IP exploits, multiple accounts, and other various ways of ghosting. Let alone those that don't admit it. Then you have the machine gun repliers. These are those people that quote every line of every post and break it down word by word until it is so out of context no one cares anymore. But their point is to do it to every poster on the other side and rack up 10k posts on a 6 month account to shamelessly keep a thread bumped even though you likely only have 10 to 20 REAL individuals in it that just circle the same 10 points over and over again to keep their internet sensationalism alive and kicking.