Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Loud/Annoying Work Neighbour

So I'm at work right now and the guy that sits on the other side of my desks partition can't keep quiet.

I'm talking:

• Excessively loud breathing
    • Excessively loud moaning/panting
    • Talking out loud to himself

I just asked him if he can stop talking out loud, and his response was:

"No, I'm thinking"
    "put headphones on"
    "not even talking loud"
    "your music half the time is louder"

I just left it there since he's very easily put on edge and I don't want to add "whiny bitching" to his list.

Thoughts on what to do?

I can't put my headphones all day, I get a sore neck from listening to music too long.

Edit: I should have added that it's possible sounds just straight up annoy me.

Misophonia, literally "hatred of sound", is a purported disorder in which negative emotions, thoughts, and physical reactions are triggered by specific sounds. It is also called "soft sound sensitivity syndrome," "select sound sensitivity syndrome" ("4S"), "decreased sound tolerance", and "sound-rage".[1][2] Misophonia is not recognized as a disorder by standard diagnostic criteria, and there is no evidence-based research on its prevalence or treatment.
    Last edited by Velky; 2016-05-17 at 04:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Velky View Post
    [*]Excessively loud breathing
    [
    What's that?
    Anyway if its in fact that annoying and effecting your performance just talk to a superviser.

He sounds like an old man trying to poop... all day.

put some earphones in and tune him out?

this is called life dude, you learn to deal with things you dont like.

NEW CONCEPT FOR SOME PEOPLE I KNOW

also, gtfo mmo champ and do some work.
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    put some earphones in and tune him out?
    So you didn't read my post?

So you didn't read my post?
    Sorry I only read the first half, I didn't finish it, I wasn't very interested in it from the start.

Deleted
    Yeah thats annoying. Actually, it's VERY annoying.

Makes me want to do this:

Last edited by mmoce9a47a3159; 2016-05-17 at 11:51 AM.

I work in an open office with basically rows of open desks and it's always loud.

Two weeks ago this guy sat next to me who really shouldn't have been there and he kept breathing so loudly I complained to my friend through text. It was obnoxious lol. He wasn't even sick or fat.

Deleted
    How... how do you get neck pain from listening to music.... just out of curiosity

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    I work in an open office with basically rows of open desks and it's always loud.

Two weeks ago this guy sat next to me who really shouldn't have been there and he kept breathing so loudly I complained to my friend through text. It was obnoxious lol. He wasn't even sick or fat.
    I'm not the only one who finds it annoying, the guy who sits on the other side thinks the same thing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    How... how do you get neck pain from listening to music.... just out of curiosity
    My neck gets stiff even with the headphones on my head and no music playing. If I leave them on too long it turns into a headache.

My neck has been messed up for a while now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    Maybe because some music makes you wanna choke yourself?

Like anything Metal related.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't you get earbuds, instead of a large headphone? Should remove the strain on your neck and pose as a solution.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Maybe because some music makes you wanna choke yourself?

Like anything Metal related.
    Death by earplugs strangling!

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not the only one who finds it annoying, the guy who sits on the other side thinks the same thing.

- - - Updated - - -

My neck gets stiff even with the headphones on my head and no music playing. If I leave them on too long it turns into a headache.

Thats weird. Is that because of the weight of the earplugs? Try softer music even. Not joking

Deleted
    I can't put my headphones all day, I get a sore neck from listening to music too long.
    ....the fuck?

Glad you cleared that up, I was very concerned about how you were "using" headphones for a minute there :P

Ear buds are the way forward, there's a TV just across from my desk which shows Bloomberg all day, if I didn't have my headphones to tune that out I think I might have gnawed through my wrists by now.
    Last edited by mmocd3e258d247; 2016-05-17 at 12:17 PM. Reason: edit

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooboy View Post
    ....the fuck?
    Maybe listening to Bieber gives you an erected neck? Yeah... I dunno

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Tune it out. If it bothers you, think about something else for 30 seconds and it won't bother you as much or at all.

15+ Year Old Account
    Sounds to me like the OP is the one with a problem. Suck it up, working in environments like that, noise is par for the course. If he moves and someone else sits there, they are going to annoy you too.

Find a different job, that one isnt for you.

and ...... Listening to music gives you a neck ache? Better see the doc about that one.

10+ Year Old Account
    "your music half the time is louder"
    If that is true, then you don't really have a leg to stand on.

Put some headphones on and/or learn to tune the coworker out. Kinda being a "whiny bish" yourself, OP.

Life is long, the world is a big place, you won't like everything or everyone. Deal with it.