Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

German Law proposed to make the income of co-workers known to other employees

UPDATE: law is proposed to have effect for everyone, not just women.
    was not clearly comunicated from my original source.

changes my position on this quite a bit, would be ready to test it out, if for no other reason then to show that this 22% statistic is flawd to no end.

guess the lesson of the story is that my newspaper is crap at reporting...

sources:
    http://www.faz.net/agenturmeldungen/...-14234925.html
    http://www.swp.de/ulm/nachrichten/wi...222888,3837120

my original post for reference
    Just read it in the Local Newspaper.(Nürnberger Nachrichten)

the minister for Women proposed a law that wouls make the income of co-workers known to female employees.
    the idea behind it is to fix income inequality between genders.

the bill is tankfully already opposed by many, curiusly with the reason given "it would increse paperwork"

my personal opinion: the law is straight up sexist and everyone is afraid to say it so plainly

according to the op-ed piece in teh newspaper everyone that is opposed to this perfect infallible proposal doas not take gender equality seriosly an is therefore a sexist... good old media spin

will edit in sources as soon as i am at home

discuss!

ps: would be very thankful if a mod could edit the thread-title
    Last edited by mmoc9687f8cb4c; 2016-05-17 at 03:16 PM. Reason: update+typos

This law would be against the law.

Deleted
    As an idea i support it. The amount people make should be available to everyone at the workplace. The problem is that people are people so it'll just lead to conflicts and in general a lot more trouble than it's worth. It would be nice to have if it wouldn't cause too many issues but it would so i'm sad

It seems like the sort of thing that will just encourage drama in the workplace and false claims of discrimination.

Quote Originally Posted by Lessal View Post

the minister for Women proposed a law that wouls make the income of co-workers known to female employees.

the bill is tankfully already opposed by many, curiusly with the reason given "it would increse paperwork"

my personal opinion: the loaw is straight up sexist and everyone is afraid to say it so plainly

according to the op-ed piece in teh newspaper everyone that is opposed to this perfect infallible proposal doas not take gender equality seriosly an is therefore a sexist... good olad meda spin

discuss!
    Um, yeah you misread that. This law doesn't propose that just women get to know the wage of their co-workers, this law proposes that everyone can get to know what their co-worker earns.

The proposal is aimed at breaking the taboo in Germany to not talk about income among colleagues. In fact, it's part of the standard employment contracts to not reveal what you're earning to anyone.

That women could use this to fight for equality is a side product, but it's not set up in a way that only them could profit from this. That is why people aren't saying it's sexist.

Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Its funny to see the good old 21% wage gap number when it comes to this topic, soo wrong in many ways.

I want to work 50% of the time a man does and still earn the same as he!! Muh equality!!!!
    Last edited by lonely zergling; 2016-05-17 at 10:01 AM.

I feel like I need a solid source on this, because that's an absolutely bonkers idea.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Relax, it's nothing big
    It's simply meddling with privacy for the greater good.

There's a taboo in talking about income? no problem! abolish the taboo and let it be known to everyone.
    There's another with sex? no problem! have people submit yearly a tape recording, so we can all freely talk about performance and adequacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    I feel like I need a solid source on this, because that's an absolutely bonkers idea.
    It is a bonkers idea. And it doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of making it through even the proposal stage. There are too many rights of the employee and the company employing them against this. We're talking about a country where you can't legally tell someone that someone is sick to explain his absence, that's how far privacy protection goes. Technically, if you go by the book.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Deleted
    Not really that surprising

Feminism is clearly more important than free speech, privacy laws and common sense

A paranoid narrative pushing for insane laws is not surprising and has happened before

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Um, yeah you misread that. This law doesn't propose that just women get to know the wage of their co-workers, this law proposes that everyone can get to know what their co-worker earns.

The proposal is aimed at breaking the taboo in Germany to not talk about income among colleagues. In fact, it's part of the standard employment contracts to not reveal what you're earning to anyone.

That women could use this to fight for equality is a side product, but it's not set up in a way that only them could profit from this. That is why people aren't saying it's sexist.

Stop ruining threads with your facts. We don't want your kind around here.

Why limit it to just women? Make all income information available to all employees. Nothing will go wrong, don't worry.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see why any co-workers should have insight into someone else's salary, let alone female co-workers only.
    My salary, my business. All it'll lead to is two things:
    1) Same position, female earns less, female gets triggered
    2) Females going full alpha-male against males who earn less. "Who's the stronger sex now, huh?"

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see the issue with total disclosure of earnings in a workplace - It's common in union shops as all raises are done either based on seniority when dealing with percentage of scale or when new Collective Bargaining Agreements are put into place. I suppose I'd be interested to see how many people would flip their shit when they see people really aren't paid based on what they do but by who they know in their respective Company.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The thing with this is.

Dude X earns more than Bitch Y because hes worked longer/better than her.
    Bitch Y finds out.
    Bitch Y assumes "MUH PATRIARCHY"
    Bitch Y complains.
    To avoid dealing with the bullshit Company gives Bitch Y a raise to bring her in line with Dude X.
    Bitch Y bypasses having to actually work hard because "Muh sexisms"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Income should be tattooed on everyone's forehead. It's autistic as fuck to throw a fit when someone asks you how much you make.
    I've always wanted to be labeled as a zero

Getting to know what coworkers make is better for everyone, not just women. It helps both men and women alike to negotiate better wages. Employers like keeping their employees in the dark, it's in their best interests so that people don't know how much they're worth, and people are less likely to negotiate better wages.

However any published wage information should not have names, or any personal information attached to it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ja, link amol.
    I can't find an NN article about that. Must be in the print issue?
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

10+ Year Old Account

my personal opinion: the loaw is straight up sexist and everyone is afraid to say it so plainly

according to the op-ed piece in teh newspaper everyone that is opposed to this perfect infallible proposal doas not take gender equality seriosly an is therefore a sexist... good olad meda spin

discuss!
    Yeah, if they want to start some law like this, it should just be that all employees are allowed to see all salaries.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Yeah, if they want to start some law like this, it should just be that all employees are allowed to see all salaries.
    That's what the proposal is all about, OP misunderstood it.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."