Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by woozie21 View Post
    You are correct, I am making 5 bucks an hour at the moment and proud of it.
    People doing jobs for students should not be making a livable wage they can go live with their roommate in a small flat as a student job should be paying.
    Full time jobs at McD are only for students? I guess the rest should just become michelin star chefs and whatnot, you know if they werent so lazy.. Fact is they are NOT only student jobs and some people don´t have the skills/qualifications for more, should they just fuck of and live in poverty because a livable minimum wage hurts your mighty standing at 5 bucks an hour?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    The sooner jobs which require no real skill are automated the better. I would rather the majority of physical, and low to no skill jobs be completely eliminated and have a focus on more intellectual jobs.
    And what about the unemployed masses who are not on your super duper intellectual level? Fuck of and die?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tikaru View Post
    Pick up a skill to find a real job? Nah, forget that brah, I want $15/hour to flip burgers next to the kid in high school.
    If you werent so painfully close to minimum wage yourself, a minimum wage worker making a livable wage should only be a good thing. Now if they are closing in on your pay bracket and you feel threatned, maybe you should pick up some skills and get a better job.

Quote Originally Posted by Bantokar View Post
    Full time jobs at McD are only for students? I guess the rest should just become michelin star chefs and whatnot, you know if they werent so lazy.. Fact is they are NOT only student jobs and some people don´t have the skills/qualifications for more, should they just fuck of and live in poverty because a livable minimum wage hurts your mighty standing at 5 bucks an hour?

- - - Updated - - -

And what about the unemployed masses who are not on your super duper intellectual level? Fuck of and die?
    I always loved the only for students line especially considering the most overhead for labor comes around the 11-1 lunch rush during the weekdays when you know kids are in school and college kids are in class

10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

If you werent so painfully close to minimum wage yourself, a minimum wage worker making a livable wage should only be a good thing. Now if they are closing in on your pay bracket and you feel threatned, maybe you should pick up some skills and get a better job.
    Of course not. I also support living wages. My view of the future is a bit too Utopian for reality. I foresee a future where people don't 'need' to work, but choose to in order to benefit the future of humanity. Sorta communist in a way. Just without any sort of currency. All are provided for.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Deleted

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

You really are keen on attacking everyone in this topic that doesn't agree with you , pretty fun to see!

I just disagree that we should pay skill less work more then we do.
    If you can't do anything you don't deserve more.
    Get off your ass and get skills to do more then clean a damn toilet.

- - - Updated - - -

Of course not. I also support living wages. My view of the future is a bit too Utopian for reality. I foresee a future where people don't 'need' to work, but choose to in order to benefit the future of humanity. Sorta communist in a way. Just without any sort of currency. All are provided for.
    And then 99% of the world would not lift a finger because why would you if everything is profited?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by darenyon View Post
    well i'm not sure about the source, but you will find a lot of people also avoid self checkout at grocery stores.
    Guilty of that. Not entirely sure why, but I definitely prefer to have some actual human interaction in such places.
    In return, I don't mind paying a bit more for the products.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    They already do.

May I give my compliments to the cook? Yeah sure, I'll get it.

10+ Year Old Account
    You really are keen on attacking everyone in this topic that doesn't agree with you , pretty fun to see!

- - - Updated - - -

And then 99% of the world would not lift a finger because why would you if everything is profited?
    Like I said, too Utopian for reality. I just hope that one day humanity can look past it's individualistic selfish needs, and realize that in order to survive and continue to progress, we need to work together for one another.

Deleted
    Like I said, too Utopian for reality. I just hope that one day humanity can look past it's individualistic selfish needs, and realize that in order to survive and continue to progress, we need to work together for one another.
    One day maybe.. not when you and my self are still alive .

10+ Year Old Account
    One day maybe.. not when you and my self are still alive .
    Absolutely agreed. We are so far off from any possibility of a world like that becoming a reality. But we still have a lot of time left before this earth can no longer support human life. Hopefully it will happen one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Tikaru View Post
    Pick up a skill to find a real job? Nah, forget that brah, I want $15/hour to flip burgers next to the kid in high school.
    ITT, we believe that the supply of 'real jobs' is greater than the demand for them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pendra View Post
    Guilty of that. Not entirely sure why, but I definitely prefer to have some actual human interaction in such places.
    In return, I don't mind paying a bit more for the products.
    I'm guilty too. Interaction, but more importantly knowing that I'm keeping someone employed, which really is the point of this entire exercise anyhow.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am the opposite. I use self check outs most the time if they are available. But then again, i'm all about reducing low to no skill jobs and putting a higher importance on learning a trade of skill.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    ITT, we believe that the supply of 'real jobs' is greater than the demand for them.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm guilty too. Interaction, but more importantly knowing that I'm keeping someone employed, which really is the point of this entire exercise anyhow.
    Sadly people don't realize that there isn't as massively great of a supply of "real jobs" as they like to believe. Even with the whole push for STEM degrees being the way of the future and blah blah blah, there's already concern about a massive oversaturation in those fields due to the amount of students currently going to school for degrees compared to the amount of jobs available.

If everyone were educated and everyone skilled, there would still be a need for "low end" jobs. You still need people to stock shelves, to collect trash, to work janitorial/maintenance positions to keep stores clean and functional.

Some low end jobs being killed for automation is simply facts of reality. But we need to start looking at alternatives to those jobs and what to do for those workers, or how people will fill the gap or get employment experience without them when they're further phased out.

- - - Updated - - -

I am the opposite. I use self check outs most the time if they are available. But then again, i'm all about reducing low to no skill jobs and putting a higher importance on learning a trade of skill.
    One concern though is that if cashier positions, food making, etc are all phased out, how exactly are people going to afford to get training in those trade skill jobs without just being born into a wealthy family? People, especially conservatives, like to use the argument that those jobs are for "high school kids to earn money to go to college and get job experience, not to live on" but what happens when they eventually vanish?

Automation is fine, but we do need to look at how we're going to replace and support the population who are currently working those jobs, for one reason or another, when they do get phased out on a larger scale.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullettime View Post
    Sadly people don't realize that there isn't as massively great of a supply of "real jobs" as they like to believe. Even with the whole push for STEM degrees being the way of the future and blah blah blah, there's already concern about a massive oversaturation in those fields due to the amount of students currently going to school for degrees compared to the amount of jobs available.

If everyone were educated and everyone skilled, there would still be a need for "low end" jobs. You still need people to stock shelves, to collect trash, to work janitorial/maintenance positions to keep stores clean and functional.

Some low end jobs being killed for automation is simply facts of reality. But we need to start looking at alternatives to those jobs and what to do for those workers, or how people will fill the gap or get employment experience without them when they're further phased out.

- - - Updated - - -

One concern though is that if cashier positions, food making, etc are all phased out, how exactly are people going to afford to get training in those trade skill jobs without just being born into a wealthy family? People, especially conservatives, like to use the argument that those jobs are for "high school kids to earn money to go to college and get job experience, not to live on" but what happens when they eventually vanish?

Automation is fine, but we do need to look at how we're going to replace and support the population who are currently working those jobs, for one reason or another, when they do get phased out on a larger scale.
    You are absolutely right. That will be the catalyst for big change. If automation takes over low to no skill jobs, then something will need to be done to provide proper training to people for jobs which require higher levels of skill.

I am the type who supports living wages and free higher education up to an associates degree level. If there ended up being a much higher unemployment rate due to automation, then it would force the government to consider these things a bit more seriously.

Deleted

- - - Updated - - -

So why should people born with less skills than you not be allowed to make a livable wage? Where do we make the cutoff? Garbage man? Waiter? Cleaning lady? Every job that anyone can do? I think that´s an abhorrant view to have. Fuck them because they were not born with the skills/opportunities of everyone else.

Deleted
    So why should people born with less skills than you not be allowed to make a livable wage? Where do we make the cutoff? Garbage man? Waiter? Cleaning lady? Every job that anyone can do? I think that´s an abhorrant view to have. Fuck them because they were not born with the skills/opportunities of everyone else.
    If all you can do is put a pre cooked burger on a pre made bun and put it in a bag your a shitty excuse for a human.
    I am sure even these people can do more then that.

I can't believe you really think there are people out there where that is the max of their abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewOU2015 View Post
    I don't understand why people are angry about wendys going with ordering kiosks. A kiosk won't give you an attitude or talk about you behind your back. I don't eat fast food anymore but I see nothing but benefits.
    You know except for maybe cutting jobs out in a county that already has a massive unemployment rate.

10+ Year Old Account
    If all you can do is put a pre cooked burger on a pre made bun and put it in a bag your a shitty excuse for a human.

I can't believe you really think there are people out there where that is the max of their abilities.
    Basically, unless a person is handicapped in some fashion, they are able to do more than the simplest of jobs. Whether they want to apply themselves, and better themselves is a whole other debate.

And jobs like that will eventually be replaced by automation. But what happens when jobs like that are removed on a larger scale, along with population growth? How are young people going to get job experience and make money while learning financial responsibility? How are people going to pick up part time work for additional cash or work these jobs after layoffs or waiting for positions to open in their field? It's not just low life thugs and trash working these positions.

Lower end jobs still need to be around, and do need to be supported to certain extents, because "be born wealthy" isn't a valid argument. You can't be for automation replacing all the jobs these "idiots" work but then be against things like basic income without also being a supporter of increased poverty and crime levels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullettime View Post
    And jobs like that will eventually be replaced by automation. But what happens when jobs like that are removed on a larger scale, along with population growth? How are young people going to get job experience and make money while learning financial responsibility? How are people going to pick up part time work for additional cash or work these jobs after layoffs or waiting for positions to open in their field? It's not just low life thugs and trash working these positions.

Lower end jobs still need to be around, and do need to be supported to certain extents, because "be born wealthy" isn't a valid argument. You can't be for automation replacing all the jobs these "idiots" work but then be against things like basic income without being a supporter of increased poverty and crime levels.
    Perhaps it can open a real discussion about free 2 year colleges, and living wages.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodias View Post
    Because a kiosk takes a job away from someone who wants to work.
    Only half-way. They take away the low-paying job and shift some percent of it to a higher-paying job designing kiosks. Another chunk of it goes into designing the machines making the kiosks. And maintaining the kiosks. They shift the job from a low-skilled job, to higher-skilled jobs.

And yet, someone or something has to do that, unless you want to eliminate the whole industry.