Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I used to be jealous of twitch streamers, then I realized what it takes to earn a "living" and said fuck that.

Most popular twitch streamers had been streaming for years before they got an audience big enough to earn a living from streaming. Most streamers who solely stream for a living stream 60-70 hours a week and stream one main game. If they dont feel like playing that game, are exhausted, etc. too bad. If they play another game on stream they lose a lot of their audience. I see professional streamers talk about how they dont want to be online or arent having fun but they have no choice. Oh and you dont get a break either. Take a month off from streaming and you just tanked your income.

Turning playing videogames into a full time job would make me hate videogames, and thats the last thing I would want.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    In general I don't mind celebrities getting rich. Whether it's sport, TV/movies or acting their products are all things that people could do without, so any riches they gain are given willingly by people who enjoy whatever it is they do.

Compare that to people who already have a lot of wealth and use it to gain more, or people who get rich selling necessities like water, power, shelter etc.
    This exactly, I don’t get the hate on entertainers making money. Also, youtubers and streamers don’t have it easy at times. Video editing can be very time consuming and you have to spend years building a reputation before making big bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Maconi View Post
    The thing with streaming is it's really only a temporary thing. Even the majority of actors/singers are only "one hit wonders". You might be popular for a few years, but then you'll be replaced by newcomers and you'll slowly fade into obscurity.

What do you think Twitch Streamers are going to do once that happens (once they're irrelevant)? Once movie stars or whoever become washed-up they have millions racked up to fall back on (plus they can get brand deals, appearance/speaking fees, etc.). Twitch Streamers are going to be stuck with mom struggling to find a new source of income.

tl;dr - Don't envy them. Most of them don't have much of a future.
    You have literally no idea how much those people make and you say they have no future? The big names mentioned here earn 20k+ a month. They stay in business for 10 years then they can retire. If I was earning that money with my country economy I could retire after 3 years and live way over average life till the end of my days. So yeah their future sucks so much

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashix View Post
    Just think in several years when no one cares about them anymore. Who's the one with the work experience and is able to progress further in a career? You are?

What do most of those streamers have? No work experience at all.
    Pretty sure Pewdiepie's millions of $ say he doesn't give a shit about a job now or never.

How to never work.
    1. Come across a rainfall. Streaming, winning the lottery, inheritance, etc etc etc
    2. Buy real estate
    3. Rent the real estate
    4. Enjoy the steady income and never worry about a job

Most streamers, at least the successful ones, got enough of an income to start up the list above.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nanook12 View Post
    On principle it angers me that people like Sodapoppin, Reckful, and Mitch Jones are rich. I have to fucking slave myself everyday at my job in order to make pennies just to survive, while these college dropout young punks get everything they want and contribute nothing to society. Why is no one else pissed off at such injustice?

EDIT: And it's not just streamers. I have a general deep seeded hatred for people that were born privileged.
    Grow up dude! Some people are always going to be more privileged then you, so better deal with what you have and get to work!

Also, dudes like sodapoppin and reckful have worked for many years to be where they are today. They work on a very unstable platform and with very little security. They are also hard workers. The amount of PR, editing and communitive work they do are huge, and sure, they are doing pretty well today, but when they first started, life was very hard for them.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

I don't hate the streamers themselves(well not all of them, some of them I really dislike and avoid at all costs), but god, the chat room of just pretty much every single video stream.. absolutely horrible. Always filled with brainless and childish people with infinite spamming. Now I just hide it every single time when I watch a video stream.
    "Those mortal shells that we call bodies, are not ours to keep. The body is a gift of earth that must, one day, be returned from whence it came"

Quote Originally Posted by Einsz View Post
    You have literally no idea how much those people make and you say they have no future? The big names mentioned here earn 20k+ a month. They stay in business for 10 years then they can retire. If I was earning that money with my country economy I could retire after 3 years and live way over average life till the end of my days. So yeah their future sucks so much
    You're talking about the top few streamers (which also applies to the top so many channels on Youtube). The majority of streamers don't make anywhere near that much.

Also, saying someone can retire after making $240k for 10 years is like saying someone can retire after making $80k after 30 years. Sure, you can, but most people will keep working because that money goes fast and we're programmed to always want more. If they're washed up after 10 years it's going to be hard for them to find another money maker unless they were smart with their earnings.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichifails View Post
    I don't know who Mitch Jones is but I'm pretty sure Reckful and Sodapoppin were pretty damn good WoW pvp players. I think it's safe to say he's also missing the necessary skill.
    lol probably

As far as I know very few streamers, even popular ones, can be considered "rich". The average, somewhat known streamer has a decent income, but nothing special compared to someone with a well-paid, conventional job.

The real appeal, at least for most people, is that they earn very good money with something they love. That's a real privilege.

most are nice people

Quote Originally Posted by Maconi View Post
    You're talking about the top few streamers (which also applies to the top so many channels on Youtube). The majority of streamers don't make anywhere near that much.

Also, saying someone can retire after making $240k for 10 years is like saying someone can retire after making $80k after 30 years. Sure, you can, but most people will keep working because that money goes fast and we're programmed to always want more. If they're washed up after 10 years it's going to be hard for them to find another money maker unless they were smart with their earnings.
    If you are talking about average streamers sure. Those tend to have however a full time job and work on their twitch/youtube in the free time they have after work. Even working entry level job + the income from places like twitch/youtube/instagram will add up and make really nice sum. You don't need to earn millions to have awesome life. You have to keep in mind 99% of entire earth population works shit jobs, yet for some reason every poster on mmo-c seems to be multimillionaire even though computer games are for the poor.

10+ Year Old Account
    On principle it angers me that people like Sodapoppin, Reckful, and Mitch Jones are rich.
    This is what makes you angry? Really?

Talk about a life of privilege.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

On principle it angers me that people like Sodapoppin, Reckful, and Mitch Jones are rich. I have to fucking slave myself everyday at my job in order to make pennies just to survive, while these college dropout young punks get everything they want and contribute nothing to society. Why is no one else pissed off at such injustice?

EDIT: And it's not just streamers. I have a general deep seeded hatred for people that were born privileged.
    You probably want to see somebody for that jealousy of yours.

Deleted
    The jealousy is strong with this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    The envy is strong with this one.
    Fixed it for you.

Deleted
    I think a lot of people on Twitch that watches agrees. It certainly would explain the absolute sewer of memes and whatnot that Twitch chat is

Quote Originally Posted by Zorial View Post
    Fixed it for you.
    Nah it's jealousy. He is upset that these streamers took his hard earned principles of making pennies working his job for a ride, and made a shit ton more money than him probably because they provide more to humanity than he does.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    I think a lot of people on Twitch that watches agrees. It certainly would explain the absolute sewer of memes and whatnot that Twitch chat is
    That watch, follow, sub and donate no matter what game they are playing? hahahhaa. sure.

My suggestion would be to talk to a decent therapist.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragoncurry View Post
    That watch, follow, sub and donate no matter what game they are playing? hahahhaa. sure.
    Don't ruin my cleverly disguised jab at Twitch chat!

Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    Don't ruin my cleverly disguised jab at Twitch chat!
    Twitch chat is annoying sometimes but you can't really deny the neverending creativity and possibilities of shit that comes out of it.