Interesting thing about Yogg-saron and Sylvanas I just experienced

So I was playing a game with my new N'zoth/C'thun controlly-style Rogue deck. Faced off against a Hunter who was playing with Yogg (which was revealed when he used an Elekk to draw it).

Game is pretty even, and I resummon my Sylvanas with N'zoth. He plays Yogg. Three spells in and Sylvannas is killed, stealing Yogg.

Suddenly the rest of the spells he casts use me as the casting player - so I start drawing cards and getting secrets. Yogg survives and is buffed by several spells.

Opponant immediately conceeds, I laugh.

I'm not entirely sure if this is working as intended, as Yogg was stolen mid-battlecry. But its still an interesting interaction which only makes Sylvanas that much more satisfying to play against someone, and Yogg that much worse to play in a serious deck.

seen this over a week ago in a trolden video, it happens to.......ugh.....forsen.

i wondered the same should the spells become yours or not, i guess it just means rather than X spells being queued up and fired off, they are going off 1 by 1 based on the situation of the board, and since yogg is yours all spells cast are deemed cast by your yogg, but then the question is should he cast as many spells as you have played, or your opponent.

It's working as intended. Yogg is the one casting spells so whatever side of the board he is on is who gets the draw cards and secrets. How many spells he casts is fixed to when his Battlecry starts.

Of course it's just as likely Yogg will cast a load of draw cards for you and mill you to death, so who knows if it's a good or bad thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Taalyn View Post
    It's working as intended. Yogg is the one casting spells so whatever side of the board he is on is who gets the draw cards and secrets. How many spells he casts is fixed to when his Battlecry starts.
    Under that logic though shouldn't his effect end when he is killed or returned to a hand rather then playing out the rest of the spells?

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    I'm fairly sure that all the spells and targets are queued up and set right away (you can tell if one of the spells is going to end the game right as you play him, for example) so there's no "ending" the effect.
    Oh I agree,

I just think it's odd the spells will get qued up all at one time making it so that if yog gets removed they will still play out, yet even though they all get qued up the target can change halfway through the casts, even though they should already have their target from the get go.

I agree it makes sense logically, but this runs counter to a lot of other hearthstone/cardgame effects where effects without priority are resolved in order.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

I thought I heard that the battlecry activates before a minion is on the board. I heard that because Trump (youtuber) said boom bots coming down after Dr Boom was deceiving when considering Brann Bronzebeard mechanics.

If so, Yogg shouldn't be available to steal.

Yeah so why doesnt the same happen to C'thun?

I hate how they boost this noob card

Yeah game mechanics wise Yogg should finish casting his spells first AND THEN get MC'd by the Sylvanas deathrattle. Think its a busted mechanic.

15+ Year Old Account
    Another interesting interaction:

Yogg summoned Animal Companions, then cast Evolve. Leokk turned into a Rumbling Elemental.

Who then, at the end of the turn, triggered his two damage effect because the Yogg that eventually put him on the board is a battlecry.

This makes zero sense.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Yes it does. Battlecry activates before a minion is summoned. Yogg resolves his Battlecry after the last spell is cast, he is summoned, Rumbling Elemental sees a Battlecry minion is summoned and activates his effect.

If Yogg died before the last spell was cast I don't think Rumbling Elemental would activate because Yogg was never summoned. If he did die and Rumbling did activate, idkwtf.
    Last edited by Taalyn; 2016-06-16 at 07:14 PM.

Yes it does. Battlecry activates before a minion is summoned. Yogg resolves his Battlecry after the last spell is cast, he is summoned, Rumbling Elemental sees a Battlecry minion is summoned and activates his effect.

If Yogg died before the last spell was cast I don't think Rumbling Elemental would activate because Yogg was never summoned. If he did die and Rumbling did activate, idkwtf.
    I think people sometimes confuse "it's consistent with the order of operations in Hearthstone" with "it makes sense".

Hearthstone is frequently horribly unintuitive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account

This seems to be accordance with Sequences, Phases, Queues, Resolution and its subsections in the advanced rulebook.

Notably:

Definition: Phases are surrounding blocks created whenever one or more triggers/Events are raised. When the outermost Phase resolves, Hearthstone will run several Steps, including processing Deaths and updating Auras.

Whenever a minion is summoned, a Sequence immediately begins with an "On Summon" and ends with an "After Summon" Phase.

Definition: Resolving means playing out all related consequences, one at a time.

Rule 1a: A Phase, trigger or Event is only resolved when all of its consequences are resolved.

Rule 6: Subsequent Phases of a Sequence will not run if a subject is required but is no longer in play. However, this is the only requirement - If the target of the action has some requirements beyond that, the requirements are not re-checked.