Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Which has nothing to do with me or them, so hey.

Also, it's more because my ancestors died young or were severely injured in military service, not because they didn't work.
    Never said they didn't work. Implied that just not hard at making money. There's no such thing imo as being concerned about you or me or them. It's all about a vision about the future. I'm sure your ancestors didn't get injured in military service because they were worried about themselves. Probably wanted you to live in a better place. Just so happens that the best way to make sure you live a happier life down the line is not to fight in wars, but rather to sell weapons to countries fighting in wars.

Or get the family focused on medicine, pharmaceuticals, or technology.

10+ Year Old Account
    They offer entertainment, which is valuable contribution to society. I was going to say that you could do it too, but seeing that you appear kinda hateful, I doubt you'd get anything out of twitch.

Personally, I hate the guys on the twitch chat. Now they are cancer on society. Fucking makes my eyes bleed and brain melt watching it.
    Last edited by Santti; 2016-05-17 at 08:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by damajin View Post
    I don't. They better be banking most of that coin, shelf life on that career isn't going to be long.
    I disagree, the private entertainment business is here to stay, the way in wich it is implemented will change, but the role in society will most likely not.

For example take Totalbiscuit, he started as a podcaster wayyy back when on Wowradio, then made the move to Youtube, it will keep changing with the popular media but the actual role they fulfill will stay.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorial View Post
    I disagree, the private entertainment business is here to stay, the way in wich it is implemented will change, but the role in society will most likely not.

For example take Totalbiscuit, he started as a podcaster wayyy back when on Wowradio, then made the move to Youtube, it will keep changing with the popular media but the actual role they fulfill will stay.
    True but that requires having particular personalities able to bridge those gaps and juggle that changing business unless they just farm out the switchovers and such to tech types, which implies a certain amount of cash invested there. I know there's some pro streamers, youtubers and the like that could pull that off but it's not for everyone for sure which is why when those people quit their job or quit school to stream/youtube it really boxes them in.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

I don't. They better be banking most of that coin, shelf life on that career isn't going to be long.
    This is something many people tend to forget, those Twitch streamers are living the life on an entertainer/ freelance artist. You have no idea if you can keep doing what you are doing in that always changing business.

Apart from that, think of your digital footprint. Once there are a few hundred videos of you making funny faces, certain career paths simply close (while others may open). That's why I have a good deal of respect for those who basically go all-in.
    Last edited by Malacras; 2016-05-17 at 09:03 PM.

Deleted
    I was watching sodapoppin on stream a few days ago he was doing song requests on twitch and people were donating to him like crazy some didn't even get their song played because twitch muted it and then he was like, "aww too bad dude" after 8 hours of this he made a whopping 8k and then during the stream he was going on about how he'll buy a yellow porsche soon but that he wasn't quite there yet.
    Last edited by mmocb3312b4218; 2016-05-17 at 08:37 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by spain20 View Post
    If I had to guess it's because they earned what they have countless hours put into streaming high level game play for little to no pay for in some cases even years might be hard for you understand since you look at what they have now in jealousy and it makes you angry but yea they have all put in the time to get what they have and subsequently have been rewarded.
    Most of this is true, but "high level play" certainly do not apply to twitch. It's all about personalities. Sodapoppin is definetly not better at any video game i've seen him play than myself, yet he attracts thousands of viewers because people like his personality, also the girl have the hots for his looks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    In general I don't mind celebrities getting rich. Whether it's sport, TV/movies or acting their products are all things that people could do without, so any riches they gain are given willingly by people who enjoy whatever it is they do.

Compare that to people who already have a lot of wealth and use it to gain more, or people who get rich selling necessities like water, power, shelter etc.
    speaking of actors, have you ever watched "behind the scenes" or how those actors prepare for their roles???? That stuff is insane!!! It made me understand why they get paid so much money... I'm all for being rich, but I can't imagine eliminating every delicious food I love to go on some insane workout/diet routine for months on end so I can be ripped just so I can be the star in 1 movie, and than while dieting go work on set day after day in shitty weather repeating the same damn lines 50 different ways. lol

I'm totally cool with being the "Average Joe" with my little beer belly and mediocre muscles but have the time to go enjoy my life how I see fit. I don't need millions of dollars when I have my health, my friends, and my stable income. No matter how middle-class that income is. :P

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Contribute nothing to society? Dude, millions watch them regularly. They contribute a lot to society by providing it with entertainment, and entertainment is just as important in our lives as, say, science.
    Can we not let this go without you being publicly ridiculed and possibly thrown out of whatever country you currently live in?

True but that requires having particular personalities able to bridge those gaps and juggle that changing business unless they just farm out the switchovers and such to tech types, which implies a certain amount of cash invested there. I know there's some pro streamers, youtubers and the like that could pull that off but it's not for everyone for sure which is why when those people quit their job or quit school to stream/youtube it really boxes them in.
    I agree 100%, i believe there a few requirements necessary for a content creator to survive a "shift" in covered media, i will list the ones i can think of.

1: The attitude of the subscribers, certain content creators (like the Yogscast) are so severely boxed into certain media (minecraft for the Yogscast) that their views make a visible nosedive every time they cover something that is not minecraft, so the content creator needs to have a dedicated fanbase that is either used to or doesn't care that the content creator is shifting interest.
    2: Money to invest in the new media, preferably with top-end hardware to run it, the corresponding sound equipment, the editing tools to make the videos and probably paying someone with experience in it to teach them the ropes faster than the average joe.
    3: More money to pay for food, taxes and other essentials whilst getting to grips with the new media and picking up interest from the fanbase.

I was going to make a 4th point, but i can't think of one currently, and i think 1 through 3 makes a compelling enough statement.

Quote Originally Posted by nanook12 View Post
    Point proven. This is what streamers think of regular people. Fuck streamers!
    If you're slaving away for wages, you're doing it wrong.

It bothers me that Sodapoppin is somehow still relevant. His fanbase is just about as bad, especially when they intentionally crashed servers in the past. Doesn't mean I'm making threads about him.
    Last edited by Verbatim; 2016-05-17 at 09:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by McLovenIt View Post
    speaking of actors, have you ever watched "behind the scenes" or how those actors prepare for their roles???? That stuff is insane!!! It made me understand why they get paid so much money... I'm all for being rich, but I can't imagine eliminating every delicious food I love to go on some insane workout/diet routine for months on end so I can be ripped just so I can be the star in 1 movie, and than while dieting go work on set day after day in shitty weather repeating the same damn lines 50 different ways. lol

I'm totally cool with being the "Average Joe" with my little beer belly and mediocre muscles but have the time to go enjoy my life how I see fit. I don't need millions of dollars when I have my health, my friends, and my stable income. No matter how middle-class that income is. :P
    TBH I never really accepted that celebs work hard enough to earn their money, a lot of people work much harder for much less.

It's more about their marketability, they have a very specific skill (and the good fortune to be able to exploit it) that can earn a lot of money. Look at the pay that RDJ is getting from Disney, he earns it because they know having him play Iron Man in a film will give them big returns.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's great that we have the ability to do that. But I know why you're really pissed, lol. Those guys have the mentality of middle/high school kids, are extremely rude and half retarded, yet they get thousands in donations from...wait for it...extremely rude, half retarded middle/high school kids. I watch Twitch all the time. I used to watch Reckful when he first started and was playing WoW, but I cannot fucking stand what his chat has become. Soda has his moments and he's not such a bad guy but again, I can't stand his chat or some of his behavior. I've only seen Mitch a couple times with Reckful in Youtube clips and oh my god, the fact that he gets girls no matter what he says or does is actually the saddest thing ever.

I stick to positive, non-childish streamers like Day[9] and Seagull nowadays. Maybe I grew up. I cannot stand what internet culture has done to gaming though. It's a fucking shit show.
    Ryzen 9 5900X/Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600 CL16/AORUS 1080 Ti Xtreme/Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi/Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240/Optane 900p 3D XPoint/EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2/Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL/Steelcase Leap/BenQ XL2411Z/Philips Fidelio X2HR/Noppoo Choc Mini (RIP Reckful)/Razer Viper Ultimate/QcK Heavy

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah. Again, it's why I stick to mostly smaller streams.

I don't know what the attraction is about spamming chat with so much copypasta, emotes and memes that no one could ever read it even if they wanted to, but that seems to be what Twitch becomes all about once the number of viewers in a stream hits that critical mass.
    Once you reach critical mass Twitch chat turns into a hivemind of memes and shitposts

Hate is a strong word.

It sounds to me like you just don't like other people being successful.
    You're not to think you are anything special. You're not to think you are as good as we are. You're not to think you are smarter than we are. You're not to convince yourself that you are better than we are. You're not to think you know more than we do. You're not to think you are more important than we are. You're not to think you are good at anything. You're not to laugh at us. You're not to think anyone cares about you. You're not to think you can teach us anything.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah. Again, it's why I stick to mostly smaller streams.

I don't know what the attraction is about spamming chat with so much copypasta, emotes and memes that no one could ever read it even if they wanted to, but that seems to be what Twitch becomes all about once the number of viewers in a stream hits that critical mass.
    I like them just large enough to be active, but any bigger than fairly active, and they devolve into spam.

Something like 200-300 concurrent viewers with a chunk of them in chat is manageable.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinyc View Post
    Can we not let this go without you being publicly ridiculed and possibly thrown out of whatever country you currently live in?
    Would you say an artist, for example, is less important than someone working in a STEM field?

Can't really blame the OP, I am sure we are all jealous they get to play video games and make a shit ton of money.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, it's strange. Do those people just feel the need to "fit in" or something, so they all spam the same memes and copypastas for hours?

My brain keeps trying to come up with explanations like , "Maybe there are just a lot of spam bots?" because it's hard for me to process how anyone could waste their time just spamming shit in a lightspeed-scrolling twitch chat window.
    I kind of like the hivemind aspect when you're watching Tournaments for (insert fav competitive game here) and an awesome play happens and the whole chat in unison just loses their mind. The worst is like the hitler copy pasta spams