Poll: Timeless isle gameplay for openworld endgame?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    Don't know, but I remember IoQD being praised at the time. There is a difference.

- - - Updated - - -

The entire game is killing shit for loot, the problem is when the package is not there and ends being nothing but killing shit for loot.
    funny because i have asked this exact question and no one ever talks about IoQD cause it was pretty ffing small overall...
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

I honestly felt, and still feel, that Timeless Isle was effectively an actual, literal form of torture that a person subjected themselves to willingly. Not hyperbole. It was a psychological stress tests in which ever looking way for more than a few seconds felt like you were betraying yourself and if a rare was called more than 30 seconds away from you it was usually already dead leading to self-loathing over your laziness of not keeping a running mental map of the Island at all times.

There was very little difference between the feeling of humiliation and missing a rare on TI.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

Deleted
    Ilse of Quel'Danas > Icecrown > Thunder Isle > Timeless Isle > WoD shit, but that's just my opinion.

I still like the Timeless Isle, TJ is a pile of soulless trash. TI is pretty and flavorful, TJ is ugly and generic, much like the rest of WoD.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWindWalker View Post
    I honestly felt, and still feel, that Timeless Isle was effectively an actual, literal form of torture that a person subjected themselves to willingly. Not hyperbole. It was a psychological stress tests in which ever looking way for more than a few seconds felt like you were betraying yourself and if a rare was called more than 30 seconds away from you it was usually already dead leading to self-loathing over your laziness of not keeping a running mental map of the Island at all times.

There was very little difference between the feeling of humiliation and missing a rare on TI.
    Eh, only for the ones that actually had a long respawn timer. Most of them respawned often enough that I didn't really care that much about missing them, even the ones I made sure to do every day (like Huolon).

10+ Year Old Account
    I liked Timeless ISle for what it was. It would of been fine if it was a small Isle to do random stuff but not like Wod where dailies disappeared and quests weren't alll too much(As beautiful as Draenor was).
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Timeless Isles was nice. Little secrets to find here and there. Significant variety of mobs with different mechanics.

Tanaan Jungle ... dark and depressing. Mobs were annoying.

Looks like Timeless Isles was lightning in a bottle. Blizzard had no idea what made it great.

But then again what did you expect. Blizzard is staffed by raiders.
    Internet forums are more for circlejerking (patting each other on the back) than actual discussion (exchange and analysis of information and points of view). Took me long enough to realise ...

Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    Don't know, but I remember IoQD being praised at the time. There is a difference.
    This difference with IoQD is actually that it was a pretty small zone. on PvP servers people remember the experience fondly because the island was small enough that you were never truly isolated from other faction members, so if someone tried to gank there was always 2-3+ guys around to help out, making it a world pvp experience vs a world gank experience.

Timeless, Isle of Thunder, and Tanaan have all been a little too big for that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Is that what people post as "I tasted diarrhoea, so shit is fine?" Or is "meh" better than "meh" when done the first time? But what I really wanted to know what the endgame in WoW was in..say..Classic or WotLK or Cataclysm that eclipsed TI, IoT and now Tanaan. I honestly wonder what kept people busy then..and would that hold up? Would grinding four fields of cauldrons to access a raid where you honestly hardly have a chance to beat a boss hold up today? Would collecting resources server wide so one guy could get a cool title and mount interest people to participate? Would three new 5 mans make people happy?
    I wasn't comparing the Timeless Isle to grinding crafting materials or Ahn'Qiraj war resources (which I never even participated in). I was comparing it to past world content. Personally I thought the Isle of Thunder was the best world content the game ever had, with both of the previous MoP patches also bringing great world content that kept me busy throughout their lifespan. Similarly, the Argent Tournament kept me busy for a looooong time and I've still never gotten everything from it. The Timeless Isle, meanwhile, got old much quicker than those did. Thus, it was a "meh" experience for me compared to that which came before, while still being relatively enjoyable for a while. Tanaan was simply worse.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    That is actually interesting, because especially the AT offered mostly vanity stuff while TI and TJ helped you gear up (plus some vanity items). Yeah..I still haven't gotten everything from AT..always try and grind it a bit whenever a character hits 78...never end up doing it though.
    Yeah, I think vanity items are better for long-term playability than gear. The Timeless Isle had a fair bit of vanity stuff, but because it was all RNG drops from rares it would eventually not feel worth doing anymore (or at least not as often), whereas with the Argent Tournament you'd always get what you were after if you kept doing it.

TI was fine as a time filler. It is lame as main content. "Treasures" are outgeared in no time, and rares get old.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tanaan and Timeless Isle were the biggest loads of garbage. Tanaan beating Timeless Isle OFC, Timeless isle was complete garbage.

Isle of Thunder is amazing in comparison. Timeless Isle was like a private server idea.
    Content drought is a combination of catchup mechanics and no new content.

Deleted
    Like I said, it's the package of how it's presented and even Ion referred to it in the Twitch. The purposed behind doing things besides "killing for loot" or "fill a bar for apexis". The talking heads are a nice evolution of the TI design, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Sometimes people just enjoy killing shit for loot
    They can go play black desert online or some other grinder then.

Grinding mobs and camping rares is literally the worst and laziest game design that exists.

First, it's casual unfriendly because casuals rarely have hours of playtime to actually not miss the rare or see payoffs from low dropchance grinds.

Second, it's harcore unfriendly, because usually requires little skill, just a lot of time and patience.

So generally it rewards no one except unskilled nolifers who want to sit hours on end in a game and feel superior to anyone who doesn't have time or stamina to endure it.

They have multitude of Asian MMOs to suit their taste.

On topic, I really liked when endgame provided a storyline to it, but we had few of those. Red Crane August Celestial dailies. Krasang Wilds 6.1 storyline. Molten Front storyline (even though it was really too short and gated behind a lot of dailies to see it all). Tanaan Jungle Garrison Campaign with Oronok (way too short!). The Garona / legendary questline in WOD. Quel'Delar in wotlk. Why do we have so little story and often locked away behind dailies, legendaries or low drop items? Do cool stories only belong to levelling?

Also randomized events like in GW2 are kinda a good idea assuming you don't mess it up. For example you'd have to make them somehow scale with amount of people in the area so it doesn't either get completed in 5 sec with too many people or doesn't get impossible with too few (especially since there are so many low pop servers in wow atm). Maybe Legion will try something similar, I don't have beta so can't check how are those world events panning out.

15+ Year Old Account
    Running around doing the same dailies and keeling the same rares and over for catch up gear is terrible and undermines everything they made in the previous patch(es).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrilaife View Post

Grinding mobs and camping rares is literally the worst and laziest game design that exists.

First, it's casual unfriendly because casuals rarely have hours of playtime to actually not miss the rare or see payoffs from low dropchance grinds.

Second, it's harcore unfriendly, because usually requires little skill, just a lot of time and patience.

So generally it rewards no one except unskilled nolifers who want to sit hours on end in a game and feel superior to anyone who doesn't have time or stamina to endure it.

They have multitude of Asian MMOs to suit their taste.

On topic, I really liked when endgame provided a storyline to it, but we had few of those. Red Crane August Celestial dailies. Krasang Wilds 6.1 storyline. Molten Front storyline (even though it was really too short and gated behind a lot of dailies to see it all). Tanaan Jungle Garrison Campaign with Oronok (way too short!). The Garona / legendary questline in WOD. Quel'Delar in wotlk. Why do we have so little story and often locked away behind dailies, legendaries or low drop items? Do cool stories only belong to levelling?

Also randomized events like in GW2 are kinda a good idea assuming you don't mess it up. For example you'd have to make them somehow scale with amount of people in the area so it doesn't either get completed in 5 sec with too many people or doesn't get impossible with too few (especially since there are so many low pop servers in wow atm). Maybe Legion will try something similar, I don't have beta so can't check how are those world events panning out.
    There are people who enjoy it. It's nice to be able to do that but making it the sole only thing is just as bad *design*
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

I hated it after a week or two so if there was some randomness or progression oriented approach like the Molten Front or the MoP dailies I'd prefer that 100 times over. Endlessly farming rares and low drop items for Gonna Need A Bigger Bag is really a shitty way to make content relevant.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

Quote Originally Posted by Marrilaife View Post
    When are people like you going to learn that telling others (Go play something else) is bad for the game.

You don't need hours of play time to see the rare's on TI. Really don't have a clue what youa re talking about here and to be honest I don't think you have a clue ether.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    When are people like you going to learn that telling others (Go play something else) is bad for the game.
    Unless the suggestion is harmful to the game.

Turning wow into a game where content equals endless grinding outdoor mobs is what gave us WOD reps. No one is gonna miss those.

And obviously typical response "I don't agree with you = you don't have a clue".

That you could see a rare doesn't mean you got anything out of it. Either it would die before you reached it, unless you camped, or it would be one of the meaningless green cranes and such. The only thing on timeless isle that had a point for a casual was coming once per week for world bosses.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Running around doing the same dailies and keeling the same rares and over for catch up gear is terrible and undermines everything they made in the previous patch(es).
    bingo rino
    Content drought is a combination of catchup mechanics and no new content.