Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    They've used your ability to switch freely as an excuse not to deal with fundamental spec issues. "Well you can always go Arms for this fight if you want"

This removes their freedom to be selectively lazy too.

Or at least it guarantees their laziness will be impactful and thus hollered about until they are forced to act.
    To be clear, a player can still swap SPECS at any time out of combat, they just can't change individual talents without the consumable/being in a rested zone... So no, it doesn't fix "selective laziness" - However, artifact leveling does fix selective laziness to an extent... Not many people are going to have maxed artifacts for multiple specs.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Arms warrior talents are already garbage in the first place, but this change kind of pushes past the limits.

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beardyface View Post
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...6264?page=4#72

If this change goes live I quit this game. Flat out.
    Bye then. If it doesn't takes more than this to make you quit, you would probably have quit anyway - whiner!
    The grass is always greener - The times were always better

I think they should just get rid of talents and classes all together! Everyone should get the same spells and abilities, depending if they choose tank/dps/heal (those are the three new specs) and then we can be done with all this nonsense!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Beardyface View Post
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...6264?page=4#72

If this change goes live I quit this game. Flat out. I've never seen developers so out of touch with their own game. It's mind boggling.

From Watcher:

They design bosses in raids and dungeons that require us to change our talents to perform optimally, then take that away from us.

Fuck these guys.
    So right now you can switch conveniently talents whenever you want as long as you are ooc.
    That doesnt fit their standards of meaningful choices. So they take it away only to give scribes an item to craft which allows players to do the exact thing the devs complain about - respec freely.

Wow ...this paragraph is the embodiment of idiocy

K, bye.

If this is what makes you quit, then I dare say you probably weren't enjoying the game anymore anyway.

Enjoy your newfound free time!

Looks like we'll be dropping respec tomes before every boss.
    Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.

Idealistically I understand what they are going for; as has been said, the intent is to make talent selections more meaningful by restricting ease of access, in the same way that a gold cost to change specs was supposed to reinforce the idea of having a "primary" spec.

But therein lies the rub. Over the years, gold has become increasingly easy to acquire, with the cost increasingly trivialized in turn. Sure, crafted tomes may be expensive and micromanaged early on, but how long before they become another common commodity? We've seen it over and again, with early expansion flasks, potions, cooking supplies (black pepper), DMC cards, augment runes, gems... the list goes on.

How many times do you see a dozen feasts dropped at the same boss, or a player drop a feast solely for themselves, wantonly wasting what was considered a precious commodity a few months prior? Tomes won't be any different, the mechanic is nothing more than another illusion, and so I don't really care.

Guessing scribes need some form of income off their profession since all major glyphs will be removed come Legion...

Quote Originally Posted by Archimtiros View Post
    Idealistically I understand what they are going for; as has been said, the intent is to make talent selections more meaningful by restricting ease of access, in the same way that a gold cost to change specs was supposed to reinforce the idea of having a "primary" spec.

But therein lies the rub. Over the years, gold has become increasingly easy to acquire, with the cost increasingly trivialized in turn. Sure, crafted tomes may be expensive and micromanaged early on, but how long before they become another common commodity? We've seen it over and again, with early expansion flasks, potions, cooking supplies (black pepper), DMC cards, augment runes, gems... the list goes on.

How many times do you see a dozen feasts dropped at the same boss, or a player drop a feast solely for themselves, wantonly wasting what was considered a precious commodity a few months prior? Tomes won't be any different, the mechanic is nothing more than another illusion, and so I don't really care.
    The thing is over the years they were always saying how talent choices were too restrictive prior to our current talent system, and now they're saying it's too easy to change when that's what their goal was several years ago? What a joke.

They've already made talents meaningful - they're in rows. You can't pick them all - just one per row.

Specs are also meaningful - the artifact weapons ensure that, for a while at least, you are going to stick to one main spec. I don't mind the gold cost for switching specs, but this solution to the talent "problem" is so ham-fisted it makes me wonder if the devs really have any business doing what they do.

It's a real shame - the content in this expansion looks really fun. I was really looking forward to Mythic+, but how much fun will that be if you have to drop a tome 5 times when you're fighting a timer?

Now that the class I main has a stupid artifact ability, has little control over their resource generation, and generates less resources the more I gear up within a tier, I'm really starting to wonder why I even bother.

It's less the change itself and more the fact that this, coupled with a hundred other ham-fisted, pants-on-head stupid decisions, is proof that these guys have absolutely no clue what they're doing.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Someone didn't play in YE GOOD OLDE DAYS when you had to hearth, go to trainer, respec full talents and get summoned back.....

I thought on the fly talent changes was a nice change of pace to the game... Sad to see it go.. or well sad to see it never come.

Quote Originally Posted by iamthedevil View Post
    I thought on the fly talent changes was a nice change of pace to the game... Sad to see it go.. or well sad to see it never come.
    I thought it was pretty nice, as well.

But I guess 70 gold or something for a respec was too much for some people. Not like you can just go kill a boss in FL and make double that

oh wait. you can. Casual logic.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
    Someone didn't play in YE GOOD OLDE DAYS when you had to hearth, go to trainer, respec full talents and get summoned back.....
    Played since Vanilla. It sucked during Vanilla, too. They changed it for a reason.

With decisions like these sometimes I feel like the devs have lost their touch... that or they are being more open with what they want to do.

I wouldn't mind with such a design if all abilities in the same talent tier were very close to eachother and served the same purpose: being mostly for what you like or dislike, but some talent tiers are built so different, there is no way such a silly system makes any sense.

I also don't see anyone complaining about switching talents, except being forced to use X talent they don't like because it's just better... which has nothing to do with "switching talents every pull"

for CMs i think it makes sense to disable talent swithcing however, as it has the potential to be pretty cancerous for the activty, and there is still merit to choosing the best talent for the hardest part of the dungeon.

Quote Originally Posted by tuesday the paladin View Post
    So instead of having to have a stack of tome of the clear mind we'll have to have a stack of new item scribes make that allows us to change talents. Sounds like virtually no change in practice.
    Because like everything Blizzard has ever done in this game, they do one thing, and then they have to do another thing. It's like this buzzing sound in the back of their minds, they can't just simply say..."ohh this is enough, let's just not touch it again. That'll surely ruin it."

In before we just end up right where we began and have tomes again.
    If you are progressing through content just to obtain gear, you are doing it wrong. You, in fact, are doing it exactly backwards.
    You are the leader of the Black Harvest, go harvest some squirrels and crack some more nuts. Sir.

Deleted
    Wait so this is for talent changes, not spec?
    Uegh

I don't really mind these changes too much, as long as there is still a hoop that you can jump through in order to change talents between pulls if that's what you want to do. Changing talents "feels" like it should be something that you do when you change your goals on a larger scale than "clear the next trash pull". "Down x boss" or "farm for x" or "clear y dungeon" feels about right, to me at least.

What I'd like to know is if things like Sylvan Elixir and the tents that I can't find in the database anymore that give "Well-Rested" also give "Rested" and let you change talents. It'd be nice to have some options and really flavourful in the world to set up camp and take a breather to prepare yourself for the next part of your journey.

This is pretty much the CM talent swapping system extended to everything else, but if you can still have the inscription thing to change talents in a non-rested area, I don't really see that it's a big enough problem to quit the game over?