Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Some people are also given advice first and only at stores by SALES people... -.-
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Personally, I would at least wait and see what the 490/490X do before making any sort of decision. If you are going to wait for the 1080ti, which will likely be next year anyway, then you should also wait and see what Vega 10 does.
    It is highly unlikely that AMD will continue to compete with Nvidia in the top tier. Rumor mill has it that their new architecture is aimed to try to recover marketshare in the mid-tier range. Nvidia mopped the floor with them with the 980ti and their entire Fiji lineup was a complete disaster. I'd go ahead and get the 1080. 1080ti is a long ways off, and you'll be extremely satisfied with your purchase. It will last you at least 3-4 years at the resolution for sure. No way game manufacturers can raise the recommended specs to anything higher than a regular 1080 for the next 2 years. You'll be plenty safe for a few years.
    Last edited by garneroutlaw; 2016-05-19 at 07:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by garneroutlaw View Post
    It is highly unlikely that AMD will continue to compete with Nvidia in the top tier.
    Not true. While Polaris is not aimed at the high-end and enthusiast market, Vega is. AMD is simply focusing on the mobile, low and mainstream market first, and later in Q4 or Q1 on the high end market. Just because they aren't releasing a competitor to the 1080 right now doesn't mean they won't ever have a high end card in this generation.

The GPU trend.
    Nvidia release market leading GPUs. 6 months later AMD release something that marginally beats it. Within a few weeks Nvidia play's its trump card to retake the crown, and then we wait for the next generation of cards to come out.

The 1080ti will probably sit waiting as Nvidia's 10XX trump card when AMD finally release something worth arguing about between GPU fanbois.
    Last edited by Zelendria; 2016-05-19 at 09:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelendria View Post
    The 1080ti will probably sit waiting as Nvidia's 10XX trump card when AMD finally release something worth arguing about between GPU fanbois.
    There are two Vega GPU's, the Vega 10 and Vega 11, so we are looking at least at 4 more GPU's besides the Polaris ones. Depending on the size and performance of P10 a cut down Vega 11 could be competing with the 1080 while the non-cut version competes with the 1080Ti.

Also interesting, the P100 has a different architecture then the P104, which could mean that the P100 is only meant for HPC and not gaming, so the P102 could actually be the biggest chip from NVidia.

The GPU trend.
    Nvidia release market leading GPUs. 6 months later AMD release something that marginally beats it. Within a few weeks Nvidia play's its trump card to retake the crown, and then we wait for the next generation of cards to come out.

What he said.

OP: The real question you should be asking is "When will AMD release something that can compete with the 1080?" - because thats when Nvidia will react accordingly with a Ti. And if AMD dont/cant? Then we all suffer a harsh reality and reflect on why everyone needs AMD as a business to not go under (whether you're a nvidia fanboy or not)....
    Last edited by TyrianFC; 2016-05-19 at 10:32 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noctifer616 View Post
    Also interesting, the P100 has a different architecture then the P104, which could mean that the P100 is only meant for HPC and not gaming, so the P102 could actually be the biggest chip from NVidia.
    Do we even have a confirmation that GP102 exists?

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Has always worked for me. I currently run two 1080p monitors but for quite some time my second, non-gaming monitor, was an old 1440x900 Viewsonic that just refused to die. Ran it that way on my old 6870 and on my current 960, so as the other poster alludes to, it has nothing to do with nVidia/AMD. What version of Windows are you trying to do it on and are you sure you are in Extended Desktop?

- - - Updated - - -

You do not need nVidia Panel to do this, all you need is Windows Display Properties.

You are right, I mixed it up because I mostly use the mirrored screen (2nd monitor is my TV) and not the extended desktop.

on-topic: If you plan to run your games @1440p with 60fps the 1080 is enough, all (current) major titles run above 60fps average on ultra settings.
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...tx-1080-review
    But if you want 4k @60fps wait for the ti.
    Last edited by coprax; 2016-05-19 at 11:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Do we even have a confirmation that GP102 exists?
    Officially? Don't remember them ever mentioning anything besides P100 and P104, but I seriously doubt that the P104 is their only chip besides P100. Both Pascal and GCN4 will probably have 4 GPU's.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I'm having a hard time remembering the last line Nvidia only produced 4 GPUs for a line. x50, x60, x70, x80, x80Ti, Titan. Looks like 6 to me if they only do the 80Ti and a single version of the Titan.
    He is talking about chips...

titan/980ti (GM200), 970/980 (GM204), 950/960 (GM206) were all using the same chips.

NVM, I should read a bit better as well...

Side question, i got a 980ti Classified a few months back when i built this rig, Should i try and dump it now and get a 1080, or wait it out and get a 1080 TI?

Deleted
    If he means only the processor on the cards then I got confused. GPU typically refers to the entire card, not just the processor.
    In his first sentence he is talking about chips, in his second about the GPUs.

So, I am guessing he is meaning to say that Nvidia has more than just the GP100 and GP104. As in, there will most likely be a GP106 or GP102.

But he is also thinking that there will be only 4 cards, probably 1080, 1070, 1060, 1050.

This is just what I think he was meaning to say..

1440p 144hz UltraWide 34 inch monitor
    Which monitor is this exactly? I have not seen a 1440p ultrawide that runs at 144

Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    In his first sentence he is talking about chips, in his second about the GPUs.

So, I am guessing he is meaning to say that Nvidia has more than just the GP100 and GP104. As in, there will most likely be a GP106 or GP102.

But he is also thinking that there will be only 4 cards, probably 1080, 1070, 1060, 1050.

This is just what I think he was meaning to say..
    I meant 4 chips. It's usual to get at least 2 graphics cards per chip, so at least 8 graphics cards for the entire series. When I say GPU i mean the chip, not the card.

- - - Updated - - -

GPU typically refers to the entire card, not just the processor.
    Would you call a 295X2 a GPU with two GPU's? Wouldn't make sense. I guess I should have worded it better since you are right, most people think of the whole card when they hear GPU.

Quote Originally Posted by Moozart View Post
    Side question, i got a 980ti Classified a few months back when i built this rig, Should i try and dump it now and get a 1080, or wait it out and get a 1080 TI?
    Unless you're jumping in with both feet with VM neither of them. Just wait out until what comes after the 10XX series IMO.
    This is obviously without knowing what resolution you use and what you're doing with the card.
    Last edited by Zelendria; 2016-05-19 at 12:50 PM.

Unless you're jumping in with both feet with VM neither of them. Just wait out until what comes after the 10XX series IMO.
    Trying to max out 4k Res for the most part. Still cant get 60 pfs when running to my 4k tv

Trying to max out 4k Res for the most part. Still cant get 60 pfs when running to my 4k tv
    Well I suppose that puts you in the camp that is probably going to buy every generation of card rather than skip 1 or 2.

I'd say sell it soon, as long as you get some money out of it. Prices will drop significantly very soon.

I nearly bought a 780 as the 980 was soon to be released.
    What I would say to anyone who really must have this generation of card close to the release of the next; is look at EVGA with their step up program.

Quote Originally Posted by garneroutlaw View Post
    It is highly unlikely that AMD will continue to compete with Nvidia in the top tier. Rumor mill has it that their new architecture is aimed to try to recover marketshare in the mid-tier range. Nvidia mopped the floor with them with the 980ti and their entire Fiji lineup was a complete disaster. I'd go ahead and get the 1080. 1080ti is a long ways off, and you'll be extremely satisfied with your purchase. It will last you at least 3-4 years at the resolution for sure. No way game manufacturers can raise the recommended specs to anything higher than a regular 1080 for the next 2 years. You'll be plenty safe for a few years.
    and, AMD considers the 390/390x mid-tier range with the furies the high end range. The 390 competed with the 970 and the 390x competed with the 980 so no reason not to believe the 490 will compete with the 1070 and the 490X will compete with the 1080.

- - - Updated - - -

If he means only the processor on the cards then I got confused. GPU typically refers to the entire card, not just the processor.
    Not really. GPU=Graphics Processing Unit, the saem way CPU means your actualy CPU not the entire PC, though some call entire PCs CPUs the same way some people have started referring to the entire Video card as a GPU. I have been guilty of it myself at times as well, but technically, it's incorrect, the GPU refers to the actual chip on the video card.