Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    It depends on a lot of things. Were you undergeared and they needed to gear you up first? Had you killed 12/13 before or were there other bosses to learn first? Has the guild been farming Archy for a long time or is it a recent kill (and still difficult to farm?) Have you made mistakes during your trial on the other bosses?

But yeah. Ask them how your trial is going, if there's any feedback or something you should work on before they can pass it.

But in general unless there are clear reasons (as listed above) why the trial drags on I'd personally leave after a month especially if there's no feedback.

Deleted
    At this time its hard to actually test ppl. Most bosses are only bl and nuke him. What is important is to see how trials are in progress, not in farm. So right now its normally to have way longer trial periods cause you cant really tell how good someone is

My current guild had me on Trial from December all the way to the end of Febuary, honestly you cannot blame 13/13 guilds that clear the entire thing in 1 day. If your trial is long, a trail should last till the officers either agrees that A, this guy is not good enough for us, thanks for comming. Or B, this guy is good, but need to finetune this cooldown usage and better position, and then he'll pass.

My trial took 2 months, because I had issues standing correctly on bosses like Mannoroth and Archimonde, which caused most of the raid having to move in ways they aren't supposed to. The moment that got fixed. The Trial was over, they didn't deem me to bad. The same should go for any other guild with self respect if you ask me.
    These day's Im washed, playing VRchat instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavathing View Post
    Three weeks is not an unreasonable trial period; in fact, for more serious mythic guilds that is a pretty short trial. This is especially true on farm. It is much harder to examine a trial's performance on farm compared to progression. One of the most important factors for success as a mythic raider is how they learn and execute new fights on progression, not how much damage/healing they can do on a 1 minute farm encounter. Actually, many mythic guilds do not promote trials to full raider status on farm, they only promote trials once they've proven themselves on progress.

TL;DR: Be patient, there is plenty of time to get your kill before Legion. Plus, I actually view long trials (not that 3 weeks is a long trial by any stretch of the imagination) as a positive sign for the guild you're looking to join. That means they take their raid seriously and want to make sure that the players they accept into their team will be an asset in the future. Guilds that willy-nilly pass trials after a week of farm usually do not perform up to expectations come progression.
    3 weeks is an unusual trial period if you are benched the entire time and its not used as a trial.

My longest trial ever was 5 weeks. It was at the tail end off BRF, previous guild fell apart so I went to find a new home. I found a guild progressing on Furnance, and thought to myself, sweet right up my alley. I got sat a couple of days as they were close to a kill which I was fine with. I got brought in day 4 and we killed it. We immediately moved to blackhand and proceeded to bash our faces into it for the next 4 weeks, all of which i was in for every pull, yet still a trial. After 4 weeks i asked, hey when's my trial going to end? They didn't treat me any different than a normal raider, I just hadn't recieved that promotion in game. The response I got was, we'll talk to you about it after raid...alright. Apparently for the past 3 weeks they had been planning to dissolve the guild, so naturally i got a little pissed off that I wasted 5 weeks trialing in a guild that basically just threw in the towel.

Make sure the same thing isn't happening here.

Quote Originally Posted by Yamuri View Post
    3 weeks is an unusual trial period if you are benched the entire time and its not used as a trial.
    That's clearly not the case based on what OP said, though. They're benching him for *one* boss of the tier because he has zero experience on it. I do the exact same - it's rare that we take people that HAVEN'T killed archi, to an archi kill the first 3 weeks. There's a number of reasons for this:

If they're just there to get the kill then quit, atleast we wasted their time for a month before they could succeed in their plan.

If they haven't killed it before, I force them to watch multiple streams of our kills so they can get somewhat familiar with our approach as it has changed *a lot* from our 10-minute progress kill after over half a year of farm.

I want to be sure that they aren't underperforming on previous bosses before I take them to a boss I can be pretty much guaranteed they will underperform on, because they have to learn it from scratch first.

As long as he's being evaluated based on the first 12, that's totally fine and reasonable for a 13/13 guild. If he can't stand that he's benched for the "achievement boss" for a month in a trial, then he's not worth keeping around anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Trollfat View Post
    2 weeks usually. 3 weeks if I really like the guild. If I still have "trial status" and am getting better logs than the other members then I'm gone.
    People like you are the reason a lot of guilds have 4 week (IE One Month) trial periods.

Quote Originally Posted by kuleyb View Post
    Hi was wondering how long you guys generally would stick around as a trial, i am a tank trial in 13/13 M farm guild and being benched for the third week in a row for progress, any thoughts ? I am basically being called in for Manno and farm bosses and benched on Archimonde, I feel like there is not much time left in the expansion and I want to get it done.
    Maybe you should ask your officers instead of a bunch of randos on the internet.

Hi was wondering how long you guys generally would stick around as a trial
    One raid evening.

3 weeks is nothing.

I believe each guild does it differently but they will all evaluate the person before bringing him/her to the final boss (in this case). Last time i was trailing in such a case, i got sat for the 2nd final boss kill, but brought in on the 3rd cause they saw my performance in the bosses before him.
    Its all about how good you are taking pointers, and listening.
    Im a healer, so it wasn't all that easy of a decision to bench one of the healers who knows the fight better than me, but the fact that i showed up and made my awareness and showed them my interest in the guild, but by this thread... i feel like you should already be kicked as it seems you have no interest in the guild and just there for an achievement.

I'd say it's quite reasonable for guilds during farm periods to keep trials for a while, so that they can see whether the trial is serious about joining or just there for easy boss kills.

I'd keep proving myself on the bosses they brought me in for. It's still a while to go before the pre-patch.

I'd probably move on, personally.

I trialled for a mythic team during BRF and was in fights for their first kill for Thogar and all attempts (excluding the kill) on Maidens. The trial lasted 5 weeks because that's as long as I gave them to give me an answer or even feedback. The reason I dropped out is because I was told that asking for a review or an appraisal (I think I used the latter word) was "fucking gay."

I now run a 3/13m guild (would be more but we have no applicants!) and we trial for 2-4 weeks depending on when we get a good feel for whomever is trialling and generally give a review midway through if we like the player but they need a little push. We're by no means a hardcore or mega professional bunch, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Phototropic View Post
    I'd probably move on, personally.

I trialled for a mythic team during BRF and was in fights for their first kill for Thogar and all attempts (excluding the kill) on Maidens. The trial lasted 5 weeks because that's as long as I gave them to give me an answer or even feedback. The reason I dropped out is because I was told that asking for a review or an appraisal (I think I used the latter word) was "fucking gay."

I now run a 3/13m guild (would be more but we have no applicants!) and we trial for 2-4 weeks depending on when we get a good feel for whomever is trialling and generally give a review midway through if we like the player but they need a little push. We're by no means a hardcore or mega professional bunch, though.
    On the first part, good riddance to them IMO.

As for the second part, 2-4 weeks is good. What we do during our trialing is we have them in as often as possible (clearing 13/13M twice a week helps) and after the first week we go over their logs and bring up points they can improve on. If in the next week they don't make an improvement, then it's probably a no go for them. Sucks about your lack of recruits though, it happens unfortunately, especially at this stage in the expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Yamuri View Post
    No, and no. First, he specifically said he has been benched on ARCHIMONDE, not the entire time. You can trial players on the first 12 bosses. Not bringing a trial in for the final boss is perfectly reasonable. And as I said, three weeks is no where near unusual.
    Twitter

RIP Summon Stone - Resto Druid Guide Relocated to Wowhead!

Deleted
    We usually have people on trial for 1-2 months during farm as there is no way to test them for progress. Especially as a tank, you are in a high pressure role and Archimonde is probably the most challenging boss in that instance tankwise. Also stop the obsession with logs. You might outdps another raider of your class, but that does not help if you screwed something up or died often.

I have seen too often where people think they are better than someone just because they pulled 10k more on a boss for one time. Performance is important, but how the person is under pressure and in a progress situation is all that matters in the end. We have had so many people that is fine during farm, but when we start with one of our crazy speed tactics and wipe most of the night trying no nail it, they crack and just ragequits.

Now I do not know how this guild work, but usually sitting in an officer spot was a once hardcore raider with hardcore raider ideals, so being benched for a boss because they do not need you is fairly logical. We have main raiders sitting out constantly because setup doesnt fit or we do just need 1 or no healers.

Prove yourself that you are better on the other bosses than the other 2 tanks. I do not mean just on meters, but show your decision making skills are top notch and you adapt well and you will be fine.

Deleted
    My guild uses 3 weeks as a general rule but it can be diffrent depending on alot of factors like attendance, performance, attitude and such. If someone is lacking on these points he might be put on trial longer. But they do keep their trials up to date on the situation. I think its really bad for a guild to hold anyone longer then their standard period on trial without talking to them.

Like someone mentioned the reason you aren´t brought to Archi might be cause they dont really got it on farm yet? Altho we did put one of our raiders on Archi right away when it was known he would reroll Tank and he doesnt even have the legendary ring. Tt doesnt seem that hard boss to tank compared to other bosses in HFC. If they arent trusting you for Archi for some reason, they should tell you what they think you are doing wrong or could improve on.

how do you trial during farm for a mythic progression guild?

some of these responses are cancerous - especially the ones that think <month of raiding is a valid way to see someones performance MUCH LESS during farm content.

what.
    a.
    joke.

(none of this is directed at OP - you simply asked a question. I'm addressing people posting their nonsensical, inexperienced opinions as fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Djriff View Post
    On the first part, good riddance to them IMO.

As for the second part, 2-4 weeks is good. What we do during our trialing is we have them in as often as possible (clearing 13/13M twice a week helps) and after the first week we go over their logs and bring up points they can improve on. If in the next week they don't make an improvement, then it's probably a no go for them. Sucks about your lack of recruits though, it happens unfortunately, especially at this stage in the expansion.
    Hah yeah totally... I applied to it as a friend was already there. Neither of us actually stayed after that response from the GM and we co-lead the current guild. And yeah again, it's really annoying as this guild we have now was our previous during Mists, which happened to be a 10m HC team. The 20m mythic thing never really took off for us so we've been right on the edge of being able to do it when we have players buggering off--but hey, mythic and 20m discussions ain't gonna get us anywhere.

Also, it's end of the expac and we'll perhaps be able to pick people up for Legion!

Deleted
    Hi was wondering how long you guys generally would stick around as a trial, i am a tank trial in 13/13 M farm guild and being benched for the third week in a row for progress, any thoughts ? I am basically being called in for Manno and farm bosses and benched on Archimonde, I feel like there is not much time left in the expansion and I want to get it done.
    How about asking the RL about "when" or "what do I have to do"...? Science, right?

They might think that your performance is average, and they have above average tanks managing Archimonde, both in terms of gear and/or experience. Don't get discouraged though, it's pretty clear that you will miss on the Archi mount whether you stay or leave.

My advice is to get into a good guild that also has a social aspect, where people laugh, swear at each-other, drama-free though, as it will make Legion much more enjoyable. If you want the mount from Archi though i suggest you go boost heroic all day and get the gold to buy a boost before the mount becomes 1-2% chance.

As for the trial period time you can /w some of the raiders on how much they've been a trial. I personally was a trial most of the x-pac as i don't like idiots and i'm pretty straightforward to letting them know. My trial periods spanned from 2 weeks up to 2 months so it can vary
    Last edited by Cannibalus; 2016-05-20 at 10:17 AM.