Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelinrah View Post
    And? The way you described engineering is 100% wrong.
    Excuse me, where did -I- ever describe how an engineer works?

I'm going to kindly slap your grade school teachers for them not teaching you how to properly read.

I'm just pointing out, that if you really think. "Engineering is basically usless outside of portals." Then you're truelly ignorant of the Lore.
    Last edited by Melsiren; 2016-05-19 at 05:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    High elf fans are basically flat-earth society of warcraft lore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Alleria Windrunner View Post
    I AM the victim.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Tinker:
    Wears mail, uses mace/shield, 2h mace and guns. Uses gadgets and energy as it's core mechanics.

Tank:
    Mace and Shield, Gadget abilities to create a force field within a certain radius, or throw down a 'tanking' gadget that taunts the boss and tanks for a period of time or until so much damage is taken.

Melee DPS:
    Uses a 2H mace, gadgets to do DPS such as bombs and mines.

Ranged DPS:
    Uses a gun, gadgets such as turrets / rockets.

I could put a lot more thought into it but I do think it could work in the game personally.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forsworn Knight View Post
    Steam Warriors would be better. Only gnomes and goblins can become steam warriors akin to elves and demon hunters.
    No, that's actually pretty dumb.

If you're going to have a technology-based class, just build it off from the Warcraft III Tinker. Mech-suits can enter into it, but won't define the entire class.

Plus, limiting such a thing to Gnomes and Goblins is... Well, again, it's extraordinarily stupid. Lore-wise, we've seen feats of engineering come from Dwarves, Draenei, Humans/Worgen (Gilneas was industrialized), Blood Elves, Orcs and Forsaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildberry View Post

If you're going to have a technology-based class, just build it off from the Warcraft III Tinker. Mech-suits can enter into it, but won't define the entire class.

Plus, limiting such a thing to Gnomes and Goblins is... Well, again, it's extraordinarily stupid. Lore-wise, we've seen feats of engineering come from Dwarves, Draenei, Humans/Worgen (Gilneas was industrialized), Blood Elves, Orcs and Forsaken.
    There's really only one big advantage to keeping it restricted to gnomes and goblins, and that's that they can climb into a suit, tank, claw pack or whatever that's big in relation to them while still retaining a footprint and profile that's not bigger than, say, a tauren. This is basically how the WC3 tinker worked, with the machine giving the goblin the approximate size of any other hero unit.

A game i used to play alot in my youth golden sun had items that when equiped completely changed your class. the classes were never overpowered and fairly simple but added an option to give one of your characters something "unique" in terms of its spell capabilities that the rest of the classes didnt offer.
    Because we have engineering profession i'd argue that if this was added to the game it would have to be in the form of an item that temporarily changed your class and i feel this could be an incredible addition to the game. i also feel it shouldn't be optimal/top of its role to play but unique. example of tuning in my mind would be that druids glyph that makes savage roar passive but reduced how much benefit it gave you. it was obviously a dps loss but gave druids that didn't want the complexity to simplify. the only difference is when the "item for said profession tinker" is active your (insert role priority aka dmg) is reduced and your abilities/class is changed entirely. thoughts?

Some day Blizzard needs to add a class just to bring spotlight to races that aren't played very much. If you give a class to humans and elves, they will automatically be the most played races of that class. If you made a class called "Mountain King" and gave it to Dwarves and Humans there will be quadruple the amount of Human Mountain Kings than Dwarves.

There's already more Human and BE monks than Pandas on most servers. Make a class that boosts the popularity of races. Why ever make a new race for the game when less than 5% of players touch one? Look at Pandas and Goblins. Completely wasted potential.

No more classes for elves until DH becomes available to all races. Please and thanks.

First of all, I am thinking about what the general audience would find cool. Mech suits are cool. A giant claw pack, maybe?

Second, only goblins and gnomes really make mech suits. All the other races *can* perform engineering, but not including magic-influenced constructs, only those two races really have a foothold in the pure mech suit turf.

Plus, it'd give those two races some needed time in the limelight. And Blizzard only has to work on two racial interpretations of mech suits rather than the ridiculous number you're suggesting which would severely limit the variety for each individual race.
    Last edited by Wewlad; 2016-05-19 at 07:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    Some day Blizzard needs to add a class just to bring spotlight to races that aren't played very much. If you give a class to humans and elves, they will automatically be the most played races of that class. If you made a class called "Mountain King" and gave it to Dwarves and Humans there will be quadruple the amount of Human Mountain Kings than Dwarves.

There's already more Human and BE monks than Pandas on most servers. Make a class that boosts the popularity of races. Why ever make a new race for the game when less than 5% of players touch one? Look at Pandas and Goblins. Completely wasted potential.

No more classes for elves until DH becomes available to all races. Please and thanks.
    Meh, I'm kind of glad they're sticking to pre-established lore for DH races, rather than throwing it out the window for the sake of gameplay so all races can be demon hunters.

(Before anyone says it, yes, Chris Metzen did draw a human "demon hunter" but it looks absolutely nothing like what we know a demon hunter to be. Just a guy in robes with a spear, it looks like. Also, just RPG which is non-canon now.)

It's about time the story took precedence over the gameplay, even if it's only for the race choice, before they subsequently made the Demon Hunters (whose last contact with Dalaran was where the Kirin Tor sat back and did nothing while Garithos attempted to execute them for consorting with naga) just another group of pets for Khadgar and Dalaran. Also, when their last contact with Khadgar himself was when he was foolishly aiding the Naaru in their idiotic overzealous quest to dismantle Illidan's efforts against the Legion, leading to Illidan's death and the fall of the Illidari.

Having them immediately trust Khadgar and obediently go with him to be funbuddies in should-not-be-neutral Dalaran seems really cheap and lame to me.

At least the Blood Elf demon hunters should have been curious about Quel'thalas, and maybe had a dramatic reunion with them, rather than being whisked away by Khadgar while Blizzard has them abandon all former motivations so they could have more Dalaran.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drilnos View Post
    There's really only one big advantage to keeping it restricted to gnomes and goblins, and that's that they can climb into a suit, tank, claw pack or whatever that's big in relation to them while still retaining a footprint and profile that's not bigger than, say, a tauren. This is basically how the WC3 tinker worked, with the machine giving the goblin the approximate size of any other hero unit.
    The Tinker "transformation" was a tank that was bigger than most siege units, and on-par with Pit Lords, size-wize.

Not to mention, keeping the a "tinker" in a mech-suit, rather that restraining such a thing to a CD limits the class greatly.

Why ever make a new race for the game when less than 5% of players touch one? Look at Pandas and Goblins. Completely wasted potential.

Why force people to play races they don't like? If there's a lore justification for a class/race combo, it should be playable. Trying to tweak population sizes by "social engineering" is a stupid, and horrible idea.

Say Tinkers become a class. Lorewise, you can easily justify the class being open to Gnomes, Dwarves, Humans, Draenei, Orcs, Blood Elves, Forsaken, & Goblins. Yet to boost Gnome and Goblin populations, Blizzard limits it to those two races? What purpose does that really serve? Sure, you get to see more Goblins running around; however, people actually playing those characters may loathe those races.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Forsworn Knight View Post
    First of all, I am thinking about what the general audience would find cool. Mech suits are cool. A giant claw pack, maybe
    If there's one thing we can safely say about the general audience of Warcraft, it's that their plebs with horrible taste. Never mind the fact that Mech-suits are extraordinarily limiting themselves.

Second, only goblins and gnomes really make mech suits. All the other races *can* perform engineering, but not including magic-influenced constructs, only those two races really have a foothold in the pure mech suit turf.
    Again, Mech-suits are limited, and drawing an arbitrary distinction at "Pure mech" is really rather silly. Especially when you start to factor in the ways certain races interact with classes (Tauren Paladins, and Blood Elf Paladins come to mind.)

Plus, it'd give those two races some needed time in the limelight. And Blizzard only has to work on two racial interpretations of mech suits rather than the ridiculous number you're suggesting which would severely limit the variety for each individual race.
    Goblins have had the limelight. As far as Gnomes go, the less limelight that shitty meme race gets, the better. What you're proposing is no different than "Druid forms" (Which haven't been extraordinarily successful, and the model should stay confined to the druid class). Yet Druids have 12 different models and an array of skins.

I wouldn't say Druids have been limited by Blizzard's choice of expanding the class to more races.

Again though, a class wrapped entirely around mech-suits, rather than just having such a thing be an aspect of a class, is a laughably bad idea.

Id rather see a ranged Rogue/petless hunter type class.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shammyrock View Post
    Id rather see a ranged Rogue/petless hunter type class.
    Go play a Marksman Hunter in Legion, then.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kabshiel View Post
    I'd keep it to just gnomes and goblins. Maybe dwarves and undead too.
    Agree, if we ever should have tinkers at all - which I hope we won't!
    But I could see how it *could* work, but I just think it is a minority of players who actually want tinkers - a loud minority. Perhaps a lot of those who also want necromancers..

Since Demon Hunter has set a precedent, I could see Tinkers only allowing Gnomes and Goblins. And like Demon Hunters, that would allow them to focus on giving the class a lot of unique customization and such. It could be a class that's essentially permanently in a mech (with race-specific variants) that's highly customizable.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokubas View Post
    Since Demon Hunter has set a precedent, I could see Tinkers only allowing Gnomes and Goblins. And like Demon Hunters, that would allow them to focus on giving the class a lot of unique customization and such. It could be a class that's essentially permanently in a mech (with race-specific variants) that's highly customizable.
    Barely anyone would play them then. People just don't like gnomes and goblins.

A lot more people would like them if they got to spend most of their time in things like Goblin Shredders and get to launch rockets everywhere as their primary form of combat (instead of just mounts and gimmicky items). I probably wouldn't play it though. I just think that's how they'd do it if they were added.
    Last edited by Jokubas; 2016-05-20 at 01:06 AM.

I've always pictured in my head Tinker as something else from what they were in WC3.

I don't see them in Mech suits, or using melee weapons. I see them as ranged using tech and gadgets.

- "But Humbugged, we already have Hunters"

Just because a class uses the same weapon we're calling that a niche? Warriors, Paladins and DKs are nothing alike and nobody argues they're too similar. There is absolutely a void that can be filled by Tinker. They don't use pets, they don't use traps, they aren't proverbial hawkeyes who can shoot a bird between the eyes. It doesn't require much thinking power of mine to dream up ways to make them different.

- "We already have Enginee-"

I'm gonna stop you there. Engineering is a support profession. You can make mecha-blast rockets and swapblasters, sure. But being an Engineer doesn't make you a tech-using class. Does it make you a Tinker? Maybe. Probably. So Tinker can be a placeholder name for a class that could be more. Secondly, don't even attempt some contrarian argument that you selected the Engineering profession so you can craft bombs and flame turrets to add to your rotation. You don't, and you haven't ever, because Engineering isn't meant to be that way. You can create a tech class without dismantling the profession, the two can coexist. Think of all the cool shit from the Garrison workshop that won't be joining us in Legion. Hmmmmm, I wonder where they can put all that cool stuff that would be absurdly too overpowered for a profession.

- "Gnomes and Goblins"

So what? If Blizzard can force people to play elves, they can force people to play gnomes. They forced Druids to play cows for a long time, they forced Alliance shaman to play goats for a long time. And in reality, the word "forced" sounds too hostile - as if it's simply unbearable to play a gnome or goblin. We really don't have to make this tech class exclusive to the shorties, but it makes sense. I mean, we don't have to make anything exclusive to anything if Blizzard didn't want to. Gnome and goblin would feel right because they are the penultimate tinkers, they are the creators of the engineering profession and the pioneers of Azerothian technology. If the two shorties aren't tolerable to people, then it can be expanded to Dwarves and Undead, Orcs and Draenei even. And to add to that, if you're so arrogant that your pride would be -so damaged- from playing a race you aren't a fan of, you really need to get over it. Everybody on this forum knows me as the guy who hated Blood Elves with a burning passion since their introduction. But to ease into having to play one as a DH I've created a couple BE toons, leveled them, read their lore (even that unbearable manga) and they've grown on me. Just don't tell Combatbutler.

If Blizzard can dream it, they can make it. 80% of the people in this thread probably didn't think Demon Hunters could work - I'm one of them. When Legion was revealed I thought to myself "How the F- are they gonna make DH work??" and they proved to me they could. Stop pretending there are multiple roadblocks to a Tinker class, there aren't.

-Fin.
    Last edited by Al Gorefiend; 2016-05-20 at 01:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 8bithamster View Post
    Jesus, does anyone read any other posts? or do they just go "EHMAGERD SOMEUN WAS WRUNG MOM BRING ME MAH POPTARTS! THIS IS SERIOUS!"

I just refer you to the other posts on this subject.
    Never go full retard bud

But seriously what the fuck am i supposed to do with this post?

- - - Updated - - -

I've always pictured in my head Tinker as something else from what they were in WC3.

I don't see them in Mech suits, or using melee weapons. I see them as ranged using tech and gadgets.

- "But Humbugged, we already have Hunters"

Just because a class uses the same weapon we're calling that a niche? Warriors, Paladins and DKs are nothing alike and nobody argues they're too similar. There is absolutely a void that can be filled by Tinker. They don't use pets, they don't use traps, they aren't proverbial hawkeyes who can shoot a bird between the eyes. It doesn't require much thinking power of mine to dream up ways to make them different.

- "We already have Enginee-"

I'm gonna stop you there. Engineering is a support profession. You can make mecha-blast rockets and swapblasters, sure. But being an Engineer doesn't make you a tech-using class. Does it make you a Tinker? Maybe. Probably. So Tinker can be a placeholder name for a class that could be more. Secondly, don't even attempt some contrarian argument that you selected the Engineering profession so you can craft bombs and flame turrets to add to your rotation. You don't, and you haven't ever, because Engineering isn't meant to be that way. You can create a tech class without dismantling the profession, the two can coexist. Think of all the cool shit from the Garrison workshop that won't be joining us in Legion. Hmmmmm, I wonder where they can put all that cool stuff that would be absurdly too overpowered for a profession.

- "Gnomes and Goblins"

So what? If Blizzard can force people to play elves, they can force people to play gnomes. They forced Druids to play cows for a long time, they forced Alliance shaman to play goats for a long time. And in reality, the word "forced" sounds too hostile - as if it's simply unbearable to play a gnome or goblin. We really don't have to make this tech class exclusive to the shorties, but it makes sense. I mean, we don't have to make anything exclusive to anything if Blizzard didn't want to. Gnome and goblin would feel right because they are the penultimate tinkers, they are the creators of the engineering profession and the pioneers of Azerothian technology. If the two shorties aren't tolerable to people, then it can be expanded to Dwarves and Undead, Orcs and Draenei even. And to add to that, if you're so arrogant that your pride would be -so damaged- from playing a race you aren't a fan of, you really need to get over it. Everybody on this forum knows me as the guy who hated Blood Elves with a burning passion since their introduction. But to ease into having to play one as a DH I've created a couple BE toons, leveled them, read their lore (even that unbearable manga) and they've grown on me. Just don't tell Combatbutler.

If Blizzard can dream it, they can make it. 80% of the people in this thread probably didn't think Demon Hunters could work - I'm one of them. When Legion was revealed I thought to myself "How the F- are they gonna make DH work??" and they proved to me they could. Stop pretending there are multiple roadblocks to a Tinker class, there aren't.

-Fin.
    Yeah it would seriously be the most obvious spec choice moving forward as it offers something completely unique that we dont have yet.

Really cant understand why this is even a controversial topic, they exist in lore, have nearly no overlap with existing classes, bring in something unique, fit in with 2 races that are underrepresented/have no iconic class, have a strong fantasy and wont need to steal anything from anyone else.

The absolute only reason i can think of that would cause people to not want it would be because they want some other class more and have the mistaken belief that a tinker will ruin their chances of ever having that class.

We definitely need a ranged physical dps/healer, I think that's the only missing combination in the game, and I don't see anything but Tinker class that can fit in these roles.

I wouldn't mind it, but I doubt the class would be that popular. I guess there could be a niche if people like techno-fighters.

I think the Timewarden or whatever hinted in MoP would be nice, there's 3 npcs saying they are helping the bronze flight and they say lines about being a tank, dps and healer.

I would personally like a sea witch class as well if we ever get a naga expansion. I'm sure they could work a story like rebel naga/kvaldir teaching vash'jir prisoners the arts of the sea magic to escape or to use them as slaves, fighting with a bow and magic. I always thought it could be interesting if they made it a caster tank class that tanked with magic and mana shields. It'd also be a spec that actually uses ranged weapons.

The Tinker "transformation" was a tank that was bigger than most siege units, and on-par with Pit Lords, size-wize.

Not to mention, keeping the a "tinker" in a mech-suit, rather that restraining such a thing to a CD limits the class greatly.

Why force people to play races they don't like? If there's a lore justification for a class/race combo, it should be playable. Trying to tweak population sizes by "social engineering" is a stupid, and horrible idea.

Say Tinkers become a class. Lorewise, you can easily justify the class being open to Gnomes, Dwarves, Humans, Draenei, Orcs, Blood Elves, Forsaken, & Goblins. Yet to boost Gnome and Goblin populations, Blizzard limits it to those two races? What purpose does that really serve? Sure, you get to see more Goblins running around; however, people actually playing those characters may loathe those races.

- - - Updated - - -

If there's one thing we can safely say about the general audience of Warcraft, it's that their plebs with horrible taste. Never mind the fact that Mech-suits are extraordinarily limiting themselves.

Again, Mech-suits are limited, and drawing an arbitrary distinction at "Pure mech" is really rather silly. Especially when you start to factor in the ways certain races interact with classes (Tauren Paladins, and Blood Elf Paladins come to mind.)

Goblins have had the limelight. As far as Gnomes go, the less limelight that shitty meme race gets, the better. What you're proposing is no different than "Druid forms" (Which haven't been extraordinarily successful, and the model should stay confined to the druid class). Yet Druids have 12 different models and an array of skins.

I wouldn't say Druids have been limited by Blizzard's choice of expanding the class to more races.

Again though, a class wrapped entirely around mech-suits, rather than just having such a thing be an aspect of a class, is a laughably bad idea.
    I won't be entering this so loaded as you have.

Classes need identity. Standard tinkers would just come across as engineers but better-er, but steam warriors in mech suits present a clear and decisive identity that isn't watered down.

Secondly, I'm not just talking about slight model and skin differences. I mean different models entirely, and not just for the suits themselves, but attachments/features like weapons. Far more comprehensive than what druids have. A gnomish tank model will look completely different from its goblin counterpart along with the mech suits for each spec. Plenty of actual variety unlike what is the class equivalent to WoD mounts.