10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxweii View Post
    One Piece 826 - wow a lot happened this chapter
    so if Hancock ever finds out about that kiss hell will be raised
    Sanji's essentially close to being a nobleman, that's cool
    Got to see where his powers are from and essentially where they could develop too
    Jinbei at the end! Finally!
    Quote Originally Posted by Radio View Post
    I would totally a Sanji's sister.
    Oh my this chapter was fucking great.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian the Moofia Boss View Post
    Is anyone else still watching Kaba, or did they drop out a while back?
    It's actually the most watched anime of the season, so expect a lot of people here to still be watching it. Even though we do get a lot more discussion on Re:Zero.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Actually, I won't spoil stuff, I'll just open Coiling Dragon and do life right.
    Idd, why watch Chinese cartoons when you can read Chinese novels. You'll love Phusro btw, a character that will make his appearance in the next arc.

Is his surname Dah! ?
    That made me laugh harder than it should have.

Netoge - Sensei using nya while speaking irl is too damn cute. Oh damn, Mc's account got hacked when Ako wanted to do some 'couple's chat'.
    Last edited by crimson; 2016-05-19 at 09:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by goriq View Post
    And I can agree with pretty much all of that, but to call them nothing but cruel and evil is an oversimplification. From the perspective of the cantus users the society was built by necessity since they had to address problems that put them at the risk of harm. Again, I'm not trying to say that they weren't blinded by fear or that the methods they employed weren't completely unethical and immoral, but I just feel like you're reducing them down to just one aspect of the entire thing when you call them fascist dictators.
    Fascism: a governmental system led by a dictator having complete power, forcibly suppressing opposition and criticism, regimenting all industry, commerce, etc., and emphasizing an aggressive nationalism and often racism.
    There's no need to mince words, they literally are a fascist dictatorship.

What makes the show truly unique is the inside perspective it gives on this ideal. That's why the show is so disturbing, in so many ways. The kids accept most things as normal, or expected, because it's what they're taught.

Also, all this is also without me touching on the use of mind-control and Pavlovian instinct controls that literally cause death if broken, amongst other things.
    Last edited by Shinzai; 2016-05-19 at 09:32 PM.

I just woke up with a boner, seems I was sensing SSY talk.

Again, you're reducing them down to a single aspect of the whole. I don't know if it really came off like I was trying to oppose that when all I did was saying that you're oversimplifying the situation and using analogies that depict them as way more "intentionally cruel" than I thought they were.
    The society has no arguments for its existence. If their society existed in the real world, the UN and the ilk would move to out its leadership immediately. Hell, it's implied in the historical flashbacks that this may have happened, but the human armies failed to stop them.

It's not about them being cruel, or simple, or one sided. It's about it being a horrifying and worrying regime that the children are being raised within. The shades of grey come from them experiencing the disturbing reality of what their lives in that society mean and what it takes to keep it running. It's what makes the Queerats incredibly fascinating, as we realize, if anything, they're actually the good guys. They're the original humans, under Squealer's lead trying to take back their humanity, which was taken from them. The dynamics of the show are incredible when you take all of these things on board.

The kids are living in a genuinely evil society, whether they perceive it as that or not, is another question altogether. To them, it's normal life. That's what the show reveals to us over its course. That's the real horror of the show. The bad guys have already won and there's nothing anyone can do to stop them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sj View Post
    I just woke up with a boner, seems I was sensing SSY talk.
    Seriously, it's literally one of my favorite things ever to discuss in any media.

10+ Year Old Account
    If I did Psychology I'm sure I'd talk about SSY at my closing course project. (Or whatever it's called in English, I genuinely don't know).

I just can't see it as simply "good guys" and "bad guys", especially considering that the actions taken by the Queerats in their war against the Cantus users are equally as unethical and immoral. If you really want to apply the terms good or bad to either side, you can really only call both of them bad.
    Hmmm, again I disagree. The Queerats are humans. Humans that have been enslaved, stripped of their human appearances and forced to labour under the close scrutiny and control of the cantus users. The Queerats would be the equivalent of any of us, being taken into slavery under a rogue nation, under threat of death for showing any form of resistance. The Queerats have been artificially weakened to be unable to oppose their dictators. They have literally had their ability to pose any kind of threat stripped from them, leaving them as little more than intelligent animals. They had no choice in the matter and were literally forced down this route.

Imagine any country on Earth's ruling leadership doing that to a specific race, or minority. Just imagine what that would be like to witness in real life.

Addendum: If anything, it's a direct analogy for slavery that has occurred in our world's history, where men treated one another as little more than cattle, or property, except worse still.

So in the case of the cantus users it was a fascist dictatorship acting cruelly and in the case of the Queerats it was just "the end justifies the means" for you?
    ...I don't think you can call it cruelty, when they've committed genocide and irreversibly mutated and deformed a race of people, on a molecular level. And what end justifies what means? The Queerat's only ways out of the situation are:

A. Continue to be slaves to the oppressive regime, potentially dying because someone decides they're fed up with you. Or if the cantus users get twitchy, they might just destroy your entire race, just because. Which they've already done before.

B. Try to escape, which will most likely lead to death at the hands of those still loyal to the cantus users, or death in the twisted wilds of the blasted world the cantus users have created.

C. Fight back. Hope you win and don't all die. At least then you may have some form of freedom.

Civil wars have been waged for far less, even just differences between ideals. Bloodshed is often inevitable, as guerrilla warfare is almost always the only choice available to those being oppressed by a far more powerful opposition.

[video=youtube;2NhTYuXiVj8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NhTYuXiVj8[/ video]
    This looks rather interesting. And it's Production IG, so I'll definitely at least check it out.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    The society has no arguments for its existence. If their society existed in the real world, the UN and the ilk would move to out its leadership immediately.
    So? The UN isn't some ultimate authority that decides what is good and what is evil.

The society worked. That's argument enough for its existence. They used terrible methods to get there (from our opinion) but in the end they created a fully functioning society that can be compared to a utopia. You can try and boil them down to them being pure evil but frankly that's insulting to the show, because they aren't.

Yeah yeah they lied to their citizens, killed their own, did terrible things to people not like them, whatever. But I hesitate to call it evil because it's not done out of hatred or malevolence. They were just acting on the fundamental desire of survival and created a society that protected people like them from harm.

From my opinion it's certainly morally wrong and I don't think a society like that should exist, but I understand where they are coming from and can't argue with the results.

AssClass Episode 22

What the hell? A puny fifteen year who has had a couple months of nominal shiving skills up against a thirty year old, two-hundred fifty pounder bruiser hardened by war with intent to kill, and you tell the kid to HOLD BACK? WTH teacher, that's not how real life works! And besides, even if Nagisa did shiv Evil Team Dad, that doesn't necessarily mean he will die; people die when their brains are deprived of oxygen for long enough, not if they bleed out. He would have had about 10 minutes after losing consciousness from blood loss to get hooked up before he died for real.

Also, Nagisa almost-best girl

Quote Originally Posted by Sesto View Post
    So? The UN isn't some ultimate authority that decides what is good and what is evil.

The society worked. That's argument enough for its existence. They used terrible methods to get there (from our opinion) but in the end they created a fully functioning society that can be compared to a utopia. You can try and boil them down to them being pure evil but frankly that's insulting to the show, because they aren't.

Yeah yeah they lied to their citizens, killed their own, did terrible things to people not like them, whatever. But I hesitate to call it evil because it's not done out of hatred or malevolence. They were just acting on the fundamental desire of survival and created a society that protected people like them from harm.

From my opinion it's certainly morally wrong and I don't think a society like that should exist, but I understand where they are coming from and can't argue with the results.
    What results? Their numbers grow thinner, year on year. Less of them are being allowed to live long enough to become active members of their society. Their control methods don't even work. Fiends still appear and wreak more havoc than any of them can deal with, since they inhibited their own ability to stop such a problem, even within those who are classified as being 'normal' cantus users. They've created a society where sociopathism and fear is the natural order. That's a malfunctioning society, no matter what way you spin it. Just look how willing the elder cantus users are to kill other creatures and Queerats, for nothing. If it wasn't for the inhibitors they force upon themselves, they'd probably all just kill each other.

If you have to cull half to three quarters of your population on a generational basis to survive and still don't even manage to stop the thing you're killing all these people to try and stop, you've failed as a people. The society doesn't work, as it exists on a knife's edge, where a single problem can bring it all crashing down. An empire of slaves on the constant verge of exploding is pure madness.
    Last edited by Shinzai; 2016-05-19 at 10:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't sweat the details!!!

It's been a long time since I watched the show, but I don't remember their society declining. It was a very small society and yes it was on the verge of falling apart at any second, but as I said, that wouldn't have happened if everyone would have acted within the defined ruleset of that society. You can't deny that. The group of kids that we follow didn't and by doing so they brought about the end of the world as they knew it, so to say. Unstable or not, a system that works, works. The risk of it failing doesn't make the results any less valid.
    It was the reason for the 'bonobo' society. They have to encourage reproduction to maintain any kind of balance. Without people constantly mating, they'd run out of genepool and end up creating a constantly more self-destructive series of progeny with each generation. They'd invite more chance of mutation and less stable minds. This is implied to be happening, due to the subtle reference of adults saying they don't want to lose any more children and the obvious, constant shrinkage of the school classes down to a single large, then single small class. They're pumping out children and killing them off constantly, just to try and maintain a status quo.

15+ Year Old Account
    It was the reason for the 'bonobo' society. They have to encourage reproduction to maintain any kind of balance. Without people constantly mating, they'd run out of genepool and end up creating a constantly more self-destructive series of progeny with each generation. They'd invite more chance of mutation and less stable minds. This is implied to be happening, due to the subtle reference of adults saying they don't want to lose any more children and the obvious, constant shrinkage of the school classes down to a single large, then single small class. They're pumping out children and killing them off constantly, just to try and maintain a status quo.
    What? That's not what the 'bonobo society' concept was about at all. It was for stress. Which is why there is such an influx of same-sex couples when they are young, as it removes the risk of the young teens having children. By doing these sexual acts the kids aren't as stressed and therefore won't end up going berserk. That's the whole point. It's not about creating more people at all.

What? That's not what the 'bonobo society' concept was about at all. It was for stress. Which is why there is such an influx of same-sex couples when they are young, as it removes the risk of the young teens having children. By doing these sexual acts the kids aren't as stressed and therefore won't end up going berserk. That's the whole point. It's not about creating more people at all.
    It's clearly directly related. How else do you expect such a self-destructive society to continue to exist? It requires such a huge input of new children to continue such a society, that they'd have to encourage it at a young age. Yes the stress relief part does help them maintain some self control, but please, feel free to explain how else you'd keep a society alive if you're constantly culling it? You have to encourage promiscuity.

15+ Year Old Account
    It's clearly directly related. How else do you expect such a self-destructive society to continue to exist? It requires such a huge input of new children to continue such a society, that they'd have to encourage it at a young age. Yes the stress relief part does help them maintain some self control, but please, feel free to explain how else you'd keep a society alive if you're constantly culling it? You have to encourage promiscuity.
    The entire concept is based on a real life thing that has nothing to do with reproduction.

SSY The answer for your question is controlled birth. Why would they want everyone to just have sex all the time creating a influx of uncontrolled births? The sole reason for encouraging sexual relations is for the younger children, especially same sex relationships. It's purely for stress relief.

When they're older they quite clearly get married and stay with their partner. I'm sure the leadership closely monitors and regulates the amount of children born each year, because if people were fucking all the time and trying to create children they could end up with having too many kids at once.

You're acting like the small classrooms is a product of them dying off but it's quite clearly their system working as intended. They aren't trying to create a massive prosperous society, they're trying to create a controlled and monitored one that ensures only the stablest of individuals reaches adulthood. It's a systematic process.

The entire concept is based on a real life thing that has nothing to do with reproduction.

SSY The answer for your question is controlled birth. Why would they want everyone to just have sex all the time creating a influx of uncontrolled births? The sole reason for encouraging sexual relations is for the younger children, especially same sex relationships. It's purely for stress relief.

When they're older they quite clearly get married and stay with their partner. I'm sure the leadership closely monitors and regulates the amount of children born each year, because if people were fucking all the time and trying to create children they could end up with having too many kids at once.

You're acting like the small classrooms is a product of them dying off but it's quite clearly their system working as intended. They aren't trying to create a massive prosperous society, they're trying to create a controlled and monitored one that ensures only the stablest of individuals reaches adulthood. It's a systematic process.
    Basic maths. Start with 40 couples having 40 children. Cull half of them, lose them before they're even allowed into school, etc.

That leaves 20 children. Potentially 10 couples. Except it's not a 50/50 split between female and male. More likely 5-7 couples with the ability to reproduce. Explain how you'll have more than a couple of generations following on.