Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Predicting the meta!

So... Overwatch is almost here and I decided to open this thread to read your opinions about the future of the metagame in overwatch.

We know that this game contains both fps and moba elements so there are going to be obvious unbalancing issues. What heroes will see most play? What strategy will be king? What heroes are going to be forgotten until buffs? What composition is going to dominate? Etc..

Predict away!

For me:

Offensive heroes that are going to be must picks: McCree, Soldier and Pharah (And genji in some cases maybe?)

Defensive Heroes: Widowmaker, Junkrat.

Tanks: Reindhart and Winston.

Supports: Lucio and Mercy.

Of course this is for competitive play and high rank matches. Im sure low level soloq will have a lot of viable strategies.
    Last edited by Didrah; 2016-05-19 at 08:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Didrah View Post
    So... Overwatch is almost here and I decided to open this thread to read your opinions about the future of the metagame in overwatch.

We know that this game contains both fps and moba elements so there are going to be obvious unbalancing issues. What heroes will see most play? What strategy will be king? What heroes are going to be forgotten until buffs? What composition is going to dominate? Etc..

Predict away!

For me:

Offensive heroes that are going to be must picks: McCree, Soldier and Pharah (And genji in some cases maybe?)

Defensive Heroes: Widowmaker, Junkrat.

Tanks: Reindhart and Winston.

Supports: Lucio and Mercy.

Of course this is for competitive play and high rank matches. Im sure low level soloq will have a lot of viable strategies.
    You can add Zaraya and mei in their respective roles and its pretty much what pros used the most in most situations. Double McCree was a thing. In pubs everyones just fine.

In competitive the problem is that McCree has the best crowd control and counters every close range offensive heroes, hence none of them are picked.

Turret style heroes are just terrible against good players.

Zenyatta has no mobility and is as squishy as mercy.

Symmetra is the only character considered pure garbage since the sentry nerf and her ultimate only charging when the portal is not active making her useless in most gametypes.

Lucio is the support and most team ran double healer, which was lucio + mercy.

Reindhart was the go to tank, Winston has situations where he is better thought, map with pits, when you need pushes on offense.

Zaraya is usually played as a secondary tank, because she has damage dealer damage when used correctly and she has the best setup ultimate for Phara and McCree.

Windowmaker is better then Hanzo in both long range and short range in the hand of better players and while dragon is good with setup from Zaraya, wallhack is overall stronger in competitive.

Genji was played, but is somewhat situational, its good to dispatch a strong windowmaker.
    Last edited by minteK917; 2016-05-19 at 09:00 PM.

Deleted
    I believe Roadhog will sneak his way into some rare matches aswell.

Deleted
    I played for 30 hours in the open beta week, I tried to play all characters and me and my buddies are aiming for competetive play as it's our passion for many years.

I didn't exect it but, I ended up absolutely loving Mei and she is very strong. However I only liked her for defense and king of the hill, I think I'll play support like Mercy while attacking. I also wonder what kind of amazing meta's there'll be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Couldn't comment on the others but I know Genji will be (and already is) one of those picks the best teams use. A good genji is probably the best dps you can have

Deleted
    Genji is very anti others, I know my team will run tracer and genji as our 2 offensive "flankers" and our 2 guys are very good already with them

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Killigrew View Post
    I played for 30 hours in the open beta week, I tried to play all characters and me and my buddies are aiming for competetive play as it's our passion for many years.

I didn't exect it but, I ended up absolutely loving Mei and she is very strong. However I only liked her for defense and king of the hill, I think I'll play support like Mercy while attacking. I also wonder what kind of amazing meta's there'll be.
    You'll never become a competetive gamer if you refer to it as "amazing meta's"... What.

If you have two very good flankers that communicate with each other, it would mean Tracer and Genji would be picked.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaos Incarnate View Post
    If you have two very good flankers that communicate with each other, it would mean Tracer and Genji would be picked.
    In comeptitve Genji is pretty much only there to counter widowmakers and bastion/torb, except the last 2 are rare. Windowmaker is a backbone of every team setup thought. Tracer is a terrible flanker because McCree and widowmaker too popular.

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch View Post
    You can add Zaraya and mei in their respective roles and its pretty much what pros used the most in most situations. Double McCree was a thing. In pubs everyones just fine.

In competitive the problem is that McCree has the best crowd control and counters every close range offensive heroes, hence none of them are picked.

Turret style heroes are just terrible against good players.

Zenyatta has no mobility and is as squishy as mercy.

Symmetra is the only character considered pure garbage since the sentry nerf and her ultimate only charging when the portal is not active making her useless in most gametypes.

Lucio is the support and most team ran double healer, which was lucio + mercy.

Reindhart was the go to tank, Winston has situations where he is better thought, map with pits, when you need pushes on offense.

Zaraya is usually played as a secondary tank, because she has damage dealer damage when used correctly and she has the best setup ultimate for Phara and McCree.

Windowmaker is better then Hanzo in both long range and short range in the hand of better players and while dragon is good with setup from Zaraya, wallhack is overall stronger in competitive.

Genji was played, but is somewhat situational, its good to dispatch a strong windowmaker.
    The pros never used Mei, like ever. She was the least picked character(I think it was like she was picked .04% of the time IIRC)

Quote Originally Posted by Zoidberg747 View Post
    The pros never used Mei, like ever. She was the least picked character(I think it was like she was picked .04% of the time IIRC)
    Untrue, i was part of the invite pick up channel with people from cloud9 and liquid. Mei saw play in those. More then symmetra, torb. Shes there for a single situation and the only characters she really counters arent popular most of the time, im not claiming shes instant pick like Lucio or McCree. Not sure where you hold those magic statistic, but we never kept anything like that lol.
    Last edited by minteK917; 2016-05-19 at 09:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch View Post
    Untrue, i was part of the invite pick up channel with people from cloud9 and liquid. Mei saw plays in those. More then symmetra. Shes there for a single situation and the only characters she really counters arent popular most of the time, im not claiming shes instant pick like Lucio or McCree.
    Planet Overwatch tallied up the data and she was supposedly never picked. But if she was used in scrims that might not have counted. Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoidberg747 View Post
    Planet Overwatch tallied up the data and she was supposedly never picked. But if she was used in scrims that might not have counted. Thanks for the info.
    To be fair every single hero at least saw some play in those. Its just most of overwatch roster is highly situational, besides straight out characters like Lucios, McCree, Reindhart, Winston. If we talk about meta for most picked, those 4 are definitively the characters that will get the most play time by a long shot, because theres no situation where they suck and theres no heroes that directly counters them.
    Last edited by minteK917; 2016-05-19 at 09:37 PM.

Deleted
    Correct me if I am wrong but in my opinion this game will not have a meta. What leads me to this conclusion is that this game is based on countering active heroes in the opponents team and the skill of the individual player.

Example:
    Team 1(Defence) vs Team 2(Attack),
    Team 1 uses composition A (good heroes for defence) and Team 2 uses composition B(best heroes for attacking) at the beginning. Both compositions are lets say the meta cause all pros use them. What does Team 2 do if they aren't having success? Easy: just hardcounter with composition C. So team 1 will probably have to move from composition A to D to counter C, and once C is getting countered by D, they will switch to E to counter D and so on...

I really think once this game is balance this is where it will be going.

Now skill comes into play. If Team 2 with composition B is hardcountered by A and still winning, A will probably lose the whole game. You can't follow the meta and play widowmaker if your aim sucks. Its probably best you stick to Junkrat or Pharah because it is still better for the team if you play better than with widowmaker. Can you follow me?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by THE DIVINE View Post
    You'll never become a competetive gamer if you refer to it as "amazing meta's"... What.
    Obviously you counter pick on the go, all the time. This thread however was about predicting metas... may I ask what achievements you have in gaming then?

- - - Updated - - -

And also please show me your stats from the open beta.

And please stop assuming shit, you know nothing about me or what I've done.

10+ Year Old Account
    Right now from what I see, doubles rule the meta. Especially double Tracer and Lucio. Tracer in the right hands is one of the most overpowered heroes in the game. Double Zen is used with her sometimes too so the Tracers just dominate everyone with discord while running around with harmony (+speed boost/healing aura). Double McCree and Winston is used a lot. Double Zarya is also really good. Widow is insane at all times in the right hands. I was for limited multiples, then kind of against it, then on the fence but now I'm leaning more towards being against it again after seeing what it can do. I just don't want to see every ranked game use 3 characters.

At the end of the day, pretty much all the heroes are good and have their place. Symmetra aka bae will be used a lot as she provides the ability to keep squishies from being 1 shot from a body shot and Teleporter is insane, especially for super mobile characters that can stall games like Tracer. Her orbs are really good for zoning, do insane damage and pass through shields and players (Bastion can't stay in one place). Genji is really good in the right hands, Mercy rez is incredible, Reinhardt is good...

I dunno, we'll just have to wait and see how things go. But there will be talks of doubles/cheese comps pretty early on. It'll be interesting to see what's said/done about it.
    Last edited by Tucci; 2016-05-19 at 09:55 PM.
    Ryzen 9 5900X/Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600 CL16/AORUS 1080 Ti Xtreme/Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi/Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240/Optane 900p 3D XPoint/EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2/Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL/Steelcase Leap/BenQ XL2411Z/Philips Fidelio X2HR/Noppoo Choc Mini (RIP Reckful)/Razer Viper Ultimate/QcK Heavy

10+ Year Old Account
    I really don't see this game having such a "meta". The heroes are all fairly balanced, and this list seems to just be the more "generic" heroes. Swapping to something a bit more niche can give you an advantage to exploit, forcing the enemy to switch to adapt, and so forth. This isn't like a MOBA, where you have to pick and then you're locked in the whole match; you'll pick based on what circumstances suggest is ideal, and that's going to be an ever-shifting question.

To Endus

There wont be any meta, you simply pick what your team needs or what you are comfortable with. Enemy has bastion ? Genji/pharah/any sniper. Same applies to any other situation. I sometimes think this games requires too much brain power for people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yup there won't be a meta unless they introduced an OP new character. Otherwise it's so well balanced it'll be entirely skill/team coordination based.

Quote Originally Posted by Davins View Post
    To Endus

There wont be any meta, you simply pick what your team needs or what you are comfortable with. Enemy has bastion ? Genji/pharah/any sniper. Same applies to any other situation. I sometimes think this games requires too much brain power for people.
    In the general sense of public games i agree. In competitive its just not happening. Hit scan based damage characters are by far more popular. There is already a competitive meta in the skrim and matches that were played. That Meta was: McCree, Lucio, Winston, Reindhart.