Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Do you know if there is a youtube video of this dialogue? I don't want to go back to a really old save just to see this option but I'm curious
    https://youtu.be/j3oGWhfVku4?t=3m15s

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    Oh wow, that's pretty cool. Thanks! And double thanks for linking directly to when that part is discussed which avoids any possible Heart of Stone spoilers for me

That's just it, in my mind, the change would too radical and alienate players.

RPG's usually worked best when they sticked to the standard "Forest + Village" type of theme, having one or two zones very different seems fine but the whole game having a very different setting might be too much.

A Desert / arabic culture is just not so appealing to me for an rpg, what would you ride anyway? A camel?

Also one of the things i liked about the Witcher series, you are a guy who actually wants to keep his head out of politics, tries to stay neutral yet keeps finding him in a position where he has to make a decision which have a major political impact.

This has actually been a selling point of the Witcher series, at least in my view.
    I dunno, I'm thinking you'd want to do a sharp break from the previous trilogy in some way, make it something fresh, though in the same kind of theme and of course, same universe. And horses, of course. Like all the best horse stuff in the game is zerrikanian this, zerrikanian that. Would look very evocative slowly riding your way around some rocky outcroppings and sand, with that recognizably witchery pieced together armor, maybe with like a shroud over your face to keep the dust out (plus rad cat eyes).

And the point is, you don't really make a story based around leading a completely normal, everyday existence as X in any movie or game. The story would be like "There once was a Witcher. He did all the Witchery things you'd expect a witcher to do. The end."

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm probably in the minority here, since I didn't like HoS story itself much (I felt like it broke the pace of the game and wasn't organically integrated into the main story). It is rather how they approached storytelling that won me over. Such suspense, when you don't know the the main antagonist really is until the very end... The whole Dead Man's Party quest... Boss fights... The horror mansion... CDPR basically showed everyone how DLCs are done.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Deleted
    The way G.O single D was presented at the start it was obvious what his role was going to be.

But otherwise yeah, the DLC was pretty out of nowhere, went nowhere and mattered for fuck all.

But not quite as interesting as FromSoft DLCs which are always a spectacle.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    I'm probably in the minority here, since I didn't like HoS story itself much (I felt like it broke the pace of the game and wasn't organically integrated into the main story). It is rather how they approached storytelling that won me over. Such suspense, when you don't know the the main antagonist really is until the very end... The whole Dead Man's Party quest... Boss fights... The horror mansion... CDPR basically showed everyone how DLCs are done.
    I'm fairly sure they were aiming at capturing the feel of the first 2 books, in which Geralt's random adventures are shown.

Of course it breaks the pace, every quest in the game does. Book Geralt would just kill a couple drowners for money and then keep going after Ciri, he wouldn't stop to do any secondary quest.

I played Hearts of Stone after the campaign, which makes the most sense. However, even if I hadn't, the pace isn't all that important, the overall story is a slow-paced investigation that mostly leads you from place to place for the majority of the game.

Gopher got to preview the new expansion!

Quote Originally Posted by Simulacrum View Post
    I kinda like that. Makes it less likely he'd adapt to any pressure (intentional or otherwise) to change his stories, like the way everybody's worried that GRRM might from all the exposure he's getting.
    Well, it's a two-edged blade. On one hand, it's good that he writes for himself and just wants to write as best as he can, so that he himself can be proud of his work. I personally can't imagine writing just for myself, I'd want to share it with others. And there's also the matter of money, though I guess it doesn't matter much for people like Sapkowski. Still, seeing how the games probably sold a ton more copies than the books, he'd be smart if he tapped into that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravath View Post
    We really should disregard the bookauthor completely as if he never existed and CDPR created the Witcher.

Thrash like that is not worth any attention.
    You definitely can disregard him, CDP has rights to the Witcher universe and they can do whatever they want with the universe. Well, as far as games (and maybe movies?) are concerned, I don't think they could publish Witcher books.

Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    That's kind of what I would like about visiting/setting in Zerrikania. It's my understanding that it's largely based on arabic culture, and there are at least plausibly big, arabian looking cities out there. The terrain could be desert (there are forms of deserts), oases, mangrove swamps, coastal jungles, etc. I think a radical change in locale would be very interesting to explore. And it's fun to play someone who is an exception to the rules. Witchers generally don't know every major political figure on earth, yet Geralt finds himself falling in with every major national and political figure, dating a few sorceresses, etc.
    If the few mentions Zerrikania gets in the books are any indication, it's like Central Africa. It has some jungles, but also zebras and the likes, so there must be savannas as well. Also plenty of islands. A mix between Caribbean and Africa, at least that's how I imagine it. Generally, it's described as an extremely deadly place. There could be a desert, but it wouldn't be predominant.
    Last edited by Airlick; 2016-05-20 at 09:40 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Airlick View Post
    You definitely can disregard him, CDP has rights to the Witcher universe and they can do whatever they want with the universe. Well, as far as games (and maybe movies?) are concerned, I don't think they could publish Witcher books.
    The books don't matter anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravath View Post
    The books don't matter anyway.
    Well they are part of the same continuity currently.

10+ Year Old Account
    By Lieutenant Colonel Whiskers McBallofur Maximilliamus the Third
    Hearts of Stone worth $8.99?
    “Snow can only live in the winter. When it nears a fire, it dies. That is its life. It may yearn for summer, but… it can only desire it. In my hand, the snow becomes water, because this is not its world….”
    “The boundless Heavens and Earth are the final resting place of all living things. Life is like a journey, filled with various scenery, various paths.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellravager View Post
    If you enjoyed the main game, yes it's absolutely worth it.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you enjoyed the main game, yes it's absolutely worth it.
    I enjoyed it enough to explore every nook and cranny in the main game besides for little bit of Skellige.

- - - Updated - - -

Any idea if Blood and Wine will require HoS to play it?

- - - Updated - - -

Well i bought it, i'll get around to playing it soon.
    “Snow can only live in the winter. When it nears a fire, it dies. That is its life. It may yearn for summer, but… it can only desire it. In my hand, the snow becomes water, because this is not its world….”
    “The boundless Heavens and Earth are the final resting place of all living things. Life is like a journey, filled with various scenery, various paths.

It will not, they are completely unrelated. Still, Hearts of Stone is amazing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellravager View Post
    I would pay $60 for HoS without blinking an eye.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mathezar View Post
    I would pay $60 for HoS without blinking an eye.
    Yea already bought it, going to mod base game then play through again with different choices.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey guys, a little off topic, but I thought this might be a good venue to ask.

I finally finished my audiobook spree of all of the Brandon Sanderson novels while studying for med school boards, and I find myself looking for a new series. I have yet to read/listen to Sapkowski's Witcher books. From what I understand right now we have Sword of Destiny and The Last Wish that are short story compilations and then we have a chronological series of: 1. Blood of Elves 2. Time of Contempt 3. Baptism of Fire and two more that haven't been translated to English yet? Has anyone listened to the audiobooks and liked them?

Deleted
    I have a question: so I like Shani, but can I romance both Shani and one of the two Triss/Yenn?

Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    I have a question: so I like Shani, but can I romance both Shani and one of the two Triss/Yenn?
    Yes, the Shani romance does not get too serious in the same way the Triss/Yen ones do. Sorta like the Keira Metz one.