Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Preface: I HATED Windows 8/8.1 so much. SO much. I stuck with Windows 7 this whole time. Windows 7 has probably been my favorite version of Windows, and I've been on the Windows bandwagon since 3.1.

My computer has having weird issues, like lots of locking up, slowing down, crashing, the whole nine. It'd been about a year since my last wipe and reinstall, so I figured, why not. Well, I got the drive wiped, but it turns out I didn't have my Win7 CD key anymore for some stupid reason...I usually keep the stickers for windows on or near the disc. Instead of cracking it, like I have done frequently in the past, I decided, what the hell, upgrade to Windows 10.

It took some effort to get a bootable Win10 disc, and ironically in the process of setting this up I was able to retrieve my Win7 CD key from the registry of an old drive, but I decided to go with it. I haven't regretted it. My computer boots up much faster than it ever did in Win7, I haven't had any incompatibility issues yet, it's been absolute smooth sailing. I have the Win10 menus set up to function like Win7 even.

I also find it kind of funny that for once Micro$oft is GIVING their newest OS for FREE, and people are complaining about it. You're getting what normally costs $100 or more, FOR FREE. And the offer is going to expire at some point. What happens when Win7 becomes legacy software, and nobody supports it anymore? Instead of having an up-to-date OS, FOR FREE, you're going to have to pay for it. Unless you're running extremely old hardware, I'd say just go ahead with the Win10 upgrade. Once things get settled in, you get it customized to your liking, you might surprise yourself and find out you actually like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    Preface: I HATED Windows 8/8.1 so much. SO much. I stuck with Windows 7 this whole time. Windows 7 has probably been my favorite version of Windows, and I've been on the Windows bandwagon since 3.1.

My computer has having weird issues, like lots of locking up, slowing down, crashing, the whole nine. It'd been about a year since my last wipe and reinstall, so I figured, why not. Well, I got the drive wiped, but it turns out I didn't have my Win7 CD key anymore for some stupid reason...I usually keep the stickers for windows on or near the disc. Instead of cracking it, like I have done frequently in the past, I decided, what the hell, upgrade to Windows 10.

It took some effort to get a bootable Win10 disc, and ironically in the process of setting this up I was able to retrieve my Win7 CD key from the registry of an old drive, but I decided to go with it. I haven't regretted it. My computer boots up much faster than it ever did in Win7, I haven't had any incompatibility issues yet, it's been absolute smooth sailing. I have the Win10 menus set up to function like Win7 even.

I also find it kind of funny that for once Micro$oft is GIVING their newest OS for FREE, and people are complaining about it. You're getting what normally costs $100 or more, FOR FREE. And the offer is going to expire at some point. What happens when Win7 becomes legacy software, and nobody supports it anymore? Instead of having an up-to-date OS, FOR FREE, you're going to have to pay for it. Unless you're running extremely old hardware, I'd say just go ahead with the Win10 upgrade. Once things get settled in, you get it customized to your liking, you might surprise yourself and find out you actually like it.
    Because they are "forcing" it on people through trickery and/or being VERY obnoxious about it. At least that's the only thing I really bitch about. If someone dumped a bucket of piss on your head for free would you not complain because it was free? Not that I think W10 is a bucket of piss or anything, but some people do. Different stroke for different folks. If they do not want to, they should not have to, nor should they be constantly pestered by notifications about it or tricked into agreeing to something they did not want to agree to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Because they are "forcing" it on people through trickery and/or being VERY obnoxious about it. At least that's the only thing I really bitch about. If someone dumped a bucket of piss on your head for free would you not complain because it was free? Not that I think W10 is a bucket of piss or anything, but some people do. Different stroke for different folks. If they do not want to, they should not have to, nor should they be constantly pestered by notifications about it or tricked into agreeing to something they did not want to agree to.
    its not a fucking bucket of piss they are dumping on you for free though its a bucket of something better than the last bucket they dumped on you which you also had to pay for

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by gegalfo View Post
    its not a fucking bucket of piss they are dumping on you for free though its a bucket of something better than the last bucket they dumped on you which you also had to pay for
    It's hardly free. Google it.

Personally the main issue i have with it is privacy.
    That and the GUI, i have to download a separate software to make it look like windows 7. After the mass of complains with windows 8 and the initial complaints with windows 10 they barely did anything to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Not anymore. As of this week you have the options "Install now", "Install later" and X, which you'd think means cancel but it's actually Install in 2 days. You then have to go and disable the scheduled install. So intuitive and non at all intrusive or forced.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    The Win 10 is separate from the automatic updates, it's an optional update that will just sit there until you initiate even with auto updates on. However the separate "Get Windows 10" app will constantly schedule a Win 10 update by itself and then even if you tell it "do not schedule update" you will log on 2 days later only to find it's right on track with its intended date. Aside from it constantly popping up to remind you like some malware it's actually trying to update the computer against your will.

Of course it can't install without you being there.
    Actually it can, Microsoft made the Win 10 installer a priority update so if you have automatic updates turned on it will install 10 without asking you first.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by deztruction View Post
    It's hardly free. Google it.
    If you are upgrading from 7/8/8.1 yes it is free. Unless you've got some argument otherwise?

Personally the main issue i have with it is privacy.
    You're gonna have to be more specific here.

That and the GUI, i have to download a separate software to make it look like windows 7. After the mass of complains with windows 8 and the initial complaints with windows 10 they barely did anything to it.
    This I will never understand. I can't see how people still prefer the old GUI compared to 10. Everything on 10 can be easily accessed, faster than how 7 was set up. Besides that, you choosing to use a non default setup, does not make 10 bad...it means you are choosy/picky.

Deleted
    Just click the x at the top of the window. Problem solved

Whilst I enjoy Win10 , the entire upgrade/update/whatever stuff is annoying as fuck.

7+ Year Old Account
    They need to add a "stop fucking asking me" button. I'm so sick of that window popping up constantly, yes its free, i get it , i dont care

Deleted
    Don't know what the hatred for windows 10 is.
    install it, read the options you are given during install, turn off everything give.
    Then, do a quick interweb search for windows privacy, follow a step by step guide and your done.
    https://fix10.isleaked.com/

or you could run a simple script (Note, I am not the Author of this script)
    http://pastebin.com/K8Ww4j8z
    from redit

or an app like Windows 10 Privacy Fixer

There really is no reason to cry about privacy intrusion when it is completely optional and relatively easy to block, even for the most basic of users.

Quote Originally Posted by Mifuyne View Post
    Whilst I enjoy Win10 , the entire upgrade/update/whatever stuff is annoying as fuck.
    Yeah, I once got on my computer to find Candy Crush installed. Like, that isn't something that should be allowed, I don't want you forcing things into my computer.

When my PC did that I simply hit the power button at 0%, aka right away. It doesn't have time to update anything then and the PC boots back up into Windows 7 just fine.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Yeah, I once got on my computer to find Candy Crush installed. Like, that isn't something that should be allowed, I don't want you forcing things into my computer.
    The only way to stop Microsoft from forcing things onto your computer is to not use Windows. Forcing things onto your computer is a core component of the Windows 10 strategy, and it's not going to change.

I visited Microsoft IRL and asked them upfront about it. Trust me on this one.

Of course he put it a little bit differently; he said Windows 10 is the platform onto which Microsoft services will be delivered, and Microsoft plans to make their money with those services.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishayu View Post
    The only way to stop Microsoft from forcing things onto your computer is to not use Windows. Forcing things onto your computer is a core component of the Windows 10 strategy, and it's not going to change.

I visited Microsoft IRL and asked them upfront about it. Trust me on this one.

Of course he put it a little bit differently; he said Windows 10 is the platform onto which Microsoft services will be delivered, and Microsoft plans to make their money with those services.
    I've accepted the fact that updates are going to be forced, but I see no reason why any of that would even justify Microsoft forcing a game not made by Microsoft onto my computer.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've accepted the fact that updates are going to be forced, but I see no reason why any of that would even justify Microsoft forcing a game not made by Microsoft onto my computer.
    how are updates forced? i have had win10 since release and not once has my pc installed an update i havent asked for, nor has it done it at a time i didnt ask for. also are oyu sure it wasnt just an ad for candy crush?

Its the fact that they disguised Windows 10 as an update, even with auto updates turned off if you try and update Win7 or 8 it will still try to install Win10. You can't really say no anymore apparently. All you can do is click update later 10000 times a day when it minimizes whatever you are doing every 5 minutes to ask if you want to update.

how are updates forced? i have had win10 since release and not once has my pc installed an update i havent asked for, nor has it done it at a time i didnt ask for. also are oyu sure it wasnt just an ad for candy crush?
    I've had Win10 since release too, it never tells you about the updates. It's right in the update menu though I'm pretty sure, it will say something like either "Last update on (insert date here)" or it will tell you updates that are waiting for you to turn off the computer for.

And 100% positive, it was under recently installed/Game apps. And I never installed it (The only game from the Windows Game store thing I tried to download was Killer Instinct and I gave up on that)

My PC since getting windows 10 randomly wakes from sleep, updates and goes back to sleep... Apparently due to the fact that Win10 tries to schedule auto updates for a time when you are not usually on the computer.

10+ Year Old Account
    MS wants you guys to upgrade because it's easier, read as cheaper, for them to keep a single codebase instead of having to support multiple versions of Windows.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've had Win10 since release too, it never tells you about the updates. It's right in the update menu though I'm pretty sure, it will say something like either "Last update on (insert date here)" or it will tell you updates that are waiting for you to turn off the computer for.

And 100% positive, it was under recently installed/Game apps. And I never installed it (The only game from the Windows Game store thing I tried to download was Killer Instinct and I gave up on that)
    mine only does last checked for updates