Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I expect that of the 100% players that get into the game by the promo.80% leave after finish the 1 month play time and 20% stay.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by khazmodan View Post
    too many people have been burned out by WoD to expect the same numbers returning. even the free accounts given out by the movie will just create more people with a bad taste in there mouths of WoW because people will be playing that pit of tedium called the garrison. expect new or returning players to burn out within a month and then not return for legion because the game is just not fun any more.
    We shall see.

So universally now means very limited? Considering very few countries are included in the promotion and in those very few countries there appears to be only one type of cinema that actually is running the promotion...

Even if there was a more universal adoption of the promotion how many people who are not fans of a gaming franchise and thus generally playing it anyway actually go to see a video game tie in film? How many video game tie in films have actually been any good (excluding fans of the games) ...well if you check good old wikipedia we can see, none and that includes fan ratings.

We might get some old players returning like we did for WoD and if Legion is as good as it is seems it could be many of those people may not just quit after the first month again but i doubt there will be many new players joining the game unless the impossible happens and a game tie in movie actually ends up being any good.

I know i am not going to bother going to see it as my country is not included in the promotion and was only considering it in the first place because it would have been effectively free if i could use the free game time on my existing account and not only on the new account.
    Last edited by thefkuffyrocker; 2016-05-20 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by niker99 View Post
    Exactly what this guy said, and most people out there have already tried it once in their life,
    Most people? The population of the u.s. alone is more than triple the amount of accounts created 100 million. That doesn't even factor in most wow players themselves have more than one account. World wide it is even close. So no most people havent tried out wow.

I'm more worried what will happen with people who might still be playing after they see Travis Fimmel attempting to be an actor and failing miserably because he's only capable of smirking.

If it didn't work for LotR Online, why would it work for WoW? (a 12 yeah old game no less)

Some will try yes, but millions? Hmmm only if every single person watching the movie was new to WoW. There will be a lot of unused "free" accounts floating around EBay though I bet.

Deleted
    Not sure if youve logged in the recent weeks/months, but the game seems to be mostly new players right now too.

People just start out, get a 100 boost and don't have the slightest clue how everything works. So much fun >.>

ATTENTION MY FELLOW MMO-C PLAYERS

I want to put out this message to you all. Most of us are 10 year WoW veterans. Most of us know what the fuck we are doing. We might have the opportunity now to shape a whole new generation of the playerbase that will be coming in from the WoW movie. These are people who have NO experience with the game. Maybe even a few who are coming back for Legion after 5+ years of a WoW break.

Don't be "that guy". The guy (or girl) who won't take 2 min to help out a new player. I'll help you out:

Situation: Player is standing in green poison puddle.
    Don't say: "Get out of the poison you fucking noob, can't you see the big green circle on the ground?"
    Do say: "Hey [player], those green circles on the ground will damage you if you stand in them. You can also see some basic boss mechanics in your dungeon journal, here's a link to the ability"

Situation: Player is asking for what gem they should use in trade chat.
    Don't say: "Hey google is a thing" "+Spirit for you Death Knight"
    Do say: [If you don't know] "Try [this guide] I use for my class and it helps me pick my stats" [If you do know] Well just fucking tell them

Situation: Player is doing low dps or not doing their role properly.
    Don't say: "Let's vote kick this garbage player. What a fucking noob"
    Do say: "Hey man, when you're tanking, you want to time your active mitigation abilities for certain periods of heavy incoming damage"

If you complain about "WoW's toxic community" or "Fucking retarded playerbase"... you have an opportunity here to make the community welcoming and advocate for players to educate themselves - just show them the tools.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HuxNeva View Post
    The 'free WoW including WOD' and free 1 month subscription promo seems now near universally included with the price of the film ticket. Are you prepared to 'welcome' the masses of casual tryouts on your server? Alternatively, as an existing subscriber, what are your plans for this free second account?
    There's like.. 30 locations of cinemas who does this deal, how can you get that to be MILLIONS of new players? The offer isn't even world wide.

Though, if a new user with said deal appears, well, then hope they will enjoy the game.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by HuxNeva View Post
    The 'free WoW including WOD' and free 1 month subscription promo seems now near universally included with the price of the film ticket. Are you prepared to 'welcome' the masses of casual tryouts on your server? Alternatively, as an existing subscriber, what are your plans for this free second account?
    Any new blood into this dying game would be welcome. When a server barely managed 300 people on a /who of all the classes, it's pretty telling that this game is in the deep shitter.

That aside, I find it funny that they advertise it as "Free game with ticket while supplies last." Last time I checked, a virtual item can't really be a limited supply unless intentionally made so by the company.

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    ATTENTION MY FELLOW MMO-C PLAYERS

I want to put out this message to you all. Most of us are 10 year WoW veterans. Most of us know what the fuck we are doing. We might have the opportunity now to shape a whole new generation of the playerbase that will be coming in from the WoW movie. These are people who have NO experience with the game. Maybe even a few who are coming back for Legion after 5+ years of a WoW break.

Don't be "that guy". The guy (or girl) who won't take 2 min to help out a new player. I'll help you out:

Situation: Player is standing in green poison puddle.
    Don't say: "Get out of the poison you fucking noob, can't you see the big green circle on the ground?"
    Do say: "Hey [player], those green circles on the ground will damage you if you stand in them. You can also see some basic boss mechanics in your dungeon journal, here's a link to the ability"

Situation: Player is asking for what gem they should use in trade chat.
    Don't say: "Hey google is a thing" "+Spirit for you Death Knight"
    Do say: [If you don't know] "Try [this guide] I use for my class and it helps me pick my stats" [If you do know] Well just fucking tell them

Situation: Player is doing low dps or not doing their role properly.
    Don't say: "Let's vote kick this garbage player. What a fucking noob"
    Do say: "Hey man, when you're tanking, you want to time your active mitigation abilities for certain periods of heavy incoming damage"

If you complain about "WoW's toxic community" or "Fucking retarded playerbase"... you have an opportunity here to make the community welcoming and advocate for players to educate themselves - just show them the tools.
    Well written I try to be helpful and friendly when I can, because that's how I want to be treated when I'm new to something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

Quote Originally Posted by Thetruth1400 View Post
    Any new blood into this dying game would be welcome. When a server barely managed 300 people on a /who of all the classes, it's pretty telling that this game is in the deep shitter.

That aside, I find it funny that they advertise it as "Free game with ticket while supplies last." Last time I checked, a virtual item can't really be a limited supply unless intentionally made so by the company.
    It's limited to the number they can give away

Limited edition collectors editions are funny that way too - limited to how many preorders they get + some extras for retail shelves.

Prepared for what?

How or what do we need to prepare for?

It is in everyone's interest to see new players join the game. While a million new players would be fantastic I'm not sure we'll see that figure hit, though it would be fantastic. The biggest problem I see, is that yes, a million ticket holders may reach the point where they think "yes I want to play WoW" but then hit the barriers (which server do I choose? it takes HOW long to level? it takes HOW much time to play at my friend's level?) etc etc... which is a shame, but then hopefully a healthy margin will stay and embrace the model.

If WoW can gain 150k+ players from the movie then that's a cool $27M over a year in subscriptions -not including Legion purchases.

Anyway... I'm more concerned with what new players have to prepare for... it's the new players that have to prepare for unhelpful, ungrateful insecure elitest jerks -that's the problem. But then hopefully the movie-going influx of players will find homes with friends etc, and avoid the community bashing that is sadly too prevalent.

Deleted
    A million demon hunters stuck in the anal phase of mental developement... *shivers in disgust*

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by risingforce View Post
    Prepared for what?

How or what do we need to prepare for?

It is in everyone's interest to see new players join the game. While a million new players would be fantastic I'm not sure we'll see that figure hit, though it would be fantastic. The biggest problem I see, is that yes, a million ticket holders may reach the point where they think "yes I want to play WoW" but then hit the barriers (which server do I choose? it takes HOW long to level? it takes HOW much time to play at my friend's level?) etc etc... which is a shame, but then hopefully a healthy margin will stay and embrace the model.

If WoW can gain 150k+ players from the movie then that's a cool $27M over a year in subscriptions -not including Legion purchases.

Anyway... I'm more concerned with what new players have to prepare for... it's the new players that have to prepare for unhelpful, ungrateful insecure elitest jerks -that's the problem. But then hopefully the movie-going influx of players will find homes with friends etc, and avoid the community bashing that is sadly too prevalent.
    Many new players sadly have to prepare for 'us', the community. We're quite a mass of volatile liquids and solids bashing around. Some throws insults for fun, and others just love to troll. Should be a WoW Online Safety Kit with the ticket.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gahmuret View Post
    A million demon hunters stuck in the anal phase of mental developement... *shivers in disgust*
    We would already have that without the new players.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by niker99 View Post
    Exactly what this guy said, and most people out there have already tried it once in their life,
    110 million people (though it's less since that's lifetime accts) is NOT MOST people, unless somehow the world's population is under 220 million people.
    How to tell if somebody learned World Geography in school or from SNL:
    "GIBSON: What insight into Russian actions, particularly in the last couple of weeks, does the proximity of the state give you?
    PALIN: They're our next door neighbors and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska."
    SNL: Can't be Diomede Islands, say her backyard instead.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    We would already have that without the new players.
    Good point.

I'm always helpful. Will not change that.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

I've honestly never even heard of the theater company that's giving away the promotion. We certainly don't have one in my area. And I agree that most people who were interested in WoW would have already tried it. Most of those new accounts will be alt accounts of vets.
    No surrender! 70 Vanguard - The Star Forge

Quote Originally Posted by thefkuffyrocker View Post
    So universally now means very limited? Considering very few countries are included in the promotion and in those very few countries there appears to be only one type of cinema that actually is running the promotion...
    I was speaking for the perspective of my own country (Belgium). That 'one cinema' you see in the list for our country actually means the near monopoly owner of cinema complexes in the country. They just swallowed the number 2, and under competition regulation have to sell a few complexes since otherwise they would have a full monopoly. Belgium has 11Mo inhabitants. Top film last year (Minions) in that theater group alone sold over 1Mo tickets (that was before the nr 2 rival takeover). A good A-production is still half a million ticket sales. I expect for tiny Belgium alone around 400K people will receive the promotion (unless they somehow restrict it further).

EDIT: I just noticed also the only other significant remaining complex owner remaining in Belgium, Euroscoop (~10% marketshare), is also on the promo list. so yes, at least for Belgium 'universal' means 'universal'
    Last edited by HuxNeva; 2016-05-20 at 03:34 PM.