Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Qualia View Post
    One, two or more expansions. Let's be fair - the story is still quite far from the end, he had plenty of time to change. At least, when he is powerful and grander than Malfurion, he definitely will be at peace since he achieved most of the things he wanted.
    Also, while he was a prick for 10,000 years, you need to keep in mind that he wasn't really active for all these 10,000 years. Being shackled and dumped in a small prison cell doesn't help developing character much. For all we know, he was already changing since WC3, which is further elaborated in the book. Putting all bad blood between him and Malfurion behind, and focus on defeating the Legion is a sign, for example. Surely, you don't think he should remain selfish, powerhungry and full of hatred for his entire life?

Putting like or or not, or whether the lore is good or bad aside, I find it funny that you said "it's been in steady decline since WoTLK" :P Back in WoTLK, people were calling both lore and raids terrible / cliched (with the exception of Ulduar). It's only around DS that somehow WoTLK turned into an awesome expansion.
    Funny I don't remember ever hearing that too much. The old gods and such were boring for some but they had been part of the game since vanilla. TBC had some flaws with Draenei and such, but overall was quite fine and followed up on where The Frozen Throne left off. Since final patch of WoTLK I've found nothing of interest in terms of lore in WoW. Now they are seemingly pulling stuff out of their asses, they dont' seem to have any kind of overall structure, they just come up with it as they go along, causing more plotholes and retcons to be made than one can keep track of.

10+ Year Old Account
    Still a better story than GGGGOOOOOOO'EEEEEEELLLLLLL :P
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by Balager View Post
    Nah that's totally what I intended. He died in TBC. He should have stayed that way. And while he wasn't active, he was definitely awake during his imprisonment. He had time on reflect on what he did.
    But he didn't do anything wrong before getting imprisoned asides from burning those Highborne who tried to prevent him from creating another Well which to be fair, isn't that terrible compared to some of our current characters. All other actions of his turned out to be good, directly or indirectly helped to go against the Legion after all. So... what was he supposed to reflect on? The book made it clear that all he felt was pissed off at Malfurion / Tyrande, and he lost track of time after a thousand years or so. Given that he spent all those years hating Malfurion, and the fact he still decided to let bygones be bygones right after Malfurion screwed with his plan and stopped him from destroying Lich King, he definitely wasn't that bad.
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang
    Donnons le sang de guillotine
    Pour guerir la secheresse de la guillotine
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang.

Quote Originally Posted by M-Ra View Post
    Because that will be a shitty Story that insults the intelligence of every player. And why Illidan is called a boy? That all sounds like a cheap Harry Potter Rip-Off. Illidan is a fucking 10.000 years old adult man.
    I'm pretty sure that's pretty young when compared to that Naaru who's probably nearly as old as the damn universe.

Now let's cry.

This was already revealed in the novel Illidan. I guess you did not read it?

Knaak is secretly the main story guy,not Metzen or Kosak.they are just trolling us.

It's pretty much the same scene from the Illidan novel. Good to see Blizz actually incorporating book lore into the in-game experience.

Deleted
    But he didn't do anything wrong before getting imprisoned asides from burning those Highborne who tried to prevent him from creating another Well which to be fair, isn't that terrible compared to some of our current characters. All other actions of his turned out to be good, directly or indirectly helped to go against the Legion after all. So... what was he supposed to reflect on? The book made it clear that all he felt was pissed off at Malfurion / Tyrande, and he lost track of time after a thousand years or so. Given that he spent all those years hating Malfurion, and the fact he still decided to let bygones be bygones right after Malfurion screwed with his plan and stopped him from destroying Lich King, he definitely wasn't that bad.
    Well he willingly allied with the Legion to get more power and replicated a well that nearly destroyed the whole world. I think he earned his sentence. And there is a middle ground between Malfurion Stormrage and Leader of the Army of Light and Chosen Mary Sue of the Mega Evolved Unowns.

wrong.he joined the Legion specifically to destroy them from within.Sargeras' gift was unexpected.in TFT he joined the Legion for power but not to destroy Azeroth or anything good related.

Quote Originally Posted by DemonHunter18 View Post
    Knaak is secretly the main story guy,not Metzen or Kosak.they are just trolling us.
    Actually, even Knaak has never written any WoW book involving people being great becase they are destined to be. He at least came up with some half assed reasons. I am convinced it's Metzen.

Quote Originally Posted by M-Ra View Post
    Because that will be a shitty Story that insults the intelligence of every player. And why Illidan is called a boy? That all sounds like a cheap Harry Potter Rip-Off. Illidan is a fucking 10.000 years old adult man.
    Compared to a Naaru, he's probably a child.

wrong.he joined the Legion specifically to destroy them from within.Sargeras' gift was unexpected.in TFT he joined the Legion for power but not to destroy Azeroth or anything good related.
    One of the reasons he joined the legion was because he thought he would gain power that would surpass his power there. You simply can not ignore a defining trait of Illidan's character.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    Actually, even Knaak has never written any WoW book involving people being great becase they are destined to be. He at least came up with some half assed reasons. I am convinced it's Metzen.
    I was speaking in general.Knaak made TBC(lore mess).he had some serious sickness during WotLK so he didn't do the story.Knaak made Cata(lore mess).he had some serious sickness during MoP so he didn't do the story.he made WoD(lore mess).he is partly is responsible for Legion.

this is all a joke ofc.just saying something out of my ass .

The one who was supposed to be pissed was Malfurion not Illidan. Illidan betrayed the resistance force and led Varo'Then to capture Malfurion after Malf stole Dragon Soul from Deathwing.

One of the reasons he joined the legion was because he thought he would gain power that would surpass his power there. You simply can not ignore a defining trait of Illidan's character.
    I don't remember that in the book but he did say to Sargeras that he doesn't need any gift although he did join to learn more magic but to destroy the Legion from within was his main goal because he would be a hero and all that crap.
    Last edited by DemonHunter18; 2016-05-20 at 05:39 PM.

Deleted
    You mean like a stinky human being the reincarnation of a night elf ancient based on a scene in the comics where one of his split parts is commended for his skills in gladiator combat by orcs?

I think I prefer the Metzen version. As cheap as destiny is, Knaak writes the dumbest things ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Chipskunk View Post
    where was boy mentioned? not in the pictures...not in the book.
    will be nice to see this story get fleshed out. just glad they didn't pick arthas to redeem

there are other things to cry about than this. can't be too hard to find something.
    I think you missed it.

"...I seek the child of Light and Shadow: the boy destined to end the age of demons." Xe'ra is speaking about Illidan here.

I don't remember that in the book but he did say to Sargeras that he doesn't need any gift.
    I wil just quote from the chronicle since it's hard to find the lines from WotA trilogies.

"Illidan's mounting discontent ultimately led him to break from the night elf resistance. He set out to join the Legion, hoping to gain power uinmaginable to any night elf. Once he did so, Illidan believed he would finally transcend Malfurion and prove to the world that he was capable of greatness" page 102.

I wil just quote from the chronicle since it's hard to find the lines from WotA trilogies.

"Illidan's mounting discontent ultimately led him to break from the night elf resistance. He set out to join the Legion, hoping to gain power uinmaginable to any night elf. Once he did so, Illidan believed he would finally transcend Malfurion and prove to the world that he was capable of greatness" page 102.
    the Chronicles are far better than Knaakshit.totally forgot about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Balager View Post
    You mean like a stinky human being the reincarnation of a night elf ancient based on a scene in the comics where one of his split parts is commended for his skills in gladiator combat by orcs?

I think I prefer the Metzen version. As cheap as destiny is, Knaak writes the dumbest things ever.
    Varian was favored by Goldrinn much later from when he was a gladiator. It was after he went through the ritual that he was favored. Goldrinn favored him because of Varian's ability to tame his fury something which Goldrinn had never been able to. The orcs simply called Varian Lo'Gosh because he was good not because he was goldrinn avatar back then.