Page 14 of 51 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    Thats a no sign. Granted I don't smoke but I assume there arent red bow ties on cigarettes.

- - - Updated - - -

The outrage over reboots has been pretty strong. This movie just has the potential to be the worst one yet which is why it gets far more outrage.
    worse than robocop? man of steel? lol no.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account

The outrage over reboots has been pretty strong. This movie just has the potential to be the worst one yet which is why it gets far more outrage.
    I just know if they touch Goonies or Back to the Future with a reboot Hollywood is going to burn!!! :P

I can see it now, Back to the Future starring Shia Labeouf... *shudder*
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    its not the marshmallow man. its the logo ghost.
    First of all, I didn't say it's the marshmallow man. I said they took the marshmallow man idea and ruined it. Secondly, I get that he's supposed to be the ghost from the logo. I got that from his face. However, he's the size of a skyscraper, white, pudgy, looks like he's made of marshmallow, and has a red bow tie. It couldn't be closer to the same idea without being exactly the same thing.

worse than robocop? man of steel? lol no.
    Why are you saying that? Is it because of the male leads? Thats pretty sexist... /s

That is the kind of craziness we are seeing here.

Deleted
    As for remakes... Here's how I see it:

If you make a movie, great. Have at it, Hoss. If it sucks, then no harm no foul. You tried.

However, if you decide to buy the rights to a well established thing, and make a movie out of that, let alone buy the rights to a movie franchise and make a reboot, then if you make a shit movie out of it, not only did you just make a shit movie out of something people love, but you also kind of ruin it for the next decade, at least, because in most cases, nobody's going to make a remake within a certain amount of time out of a movie that just got made into a remake, and the people who own the rights to it aren't just going to sell them forward immediately.

So while people may say they're happy that at least something got made, the point could be made that thanks to something completely shitty having been made, nothing good can be made of it for a long time to come.

And, yes, OK. Exceptions might exist. However, does anyone here see someone remaking Ghostbusters for 2018? 2020? Not. Going. To. Happen. And for that, you can thank these people and this "remake".

I think a comparable movie and backlash would be Fant4stic.

Why are you saying that? Is it because of the male leads? Thats pretty sexist... /s

That is the kind of craziness we are seeing here.
    when atleast half of all the complaints i see online is "WHY IT GIRL?!?!?" i think its pretty clear.

people act like ghostbusters is divine holy ground.

this movie could be shit and it probably still be better than 2, where they fought a fucking painting.
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

Deleted
    this movie could be shit and it probably still be better than 2, where they fought a fucking painting.
    Did you watch the second Ghostbusters in 1989? It matters. Back then, it wasn't that bad. But, back then, it was still the 80s.

when atleast half of all the complaints i see online is "WHY IT GIRL?!?!?" i think its pretty clear.
    If that was the case why would they go after AVGN who said nothing about gender? I think its pretty clear.

i think you completely missed the point. the article isnt questioning their points. im honestly not sure you even read the article because devin agrees with alot of what he said, hes not even defending the movie.

hes asking why THIS movie is having people freak out.

why was there no freakout over total recall, or mad max, or the new bladerunner or robocop? ect ect. especially when ghostbusters as a "franchise" is blatantly pretty shitty outside the one good movie that started it.

regardless of the quality of the movie its pretty clear why this movie is getting the vocal minority up in arms and in boycotts and shit.
    Total Recall isnt THAT iconic for a start. Its a really good Arnie movie and its pretty cheesy!
    Mad Max as a series is pretty average too good to kind of bad.
    Bladerunner advertising campaign hasnt even started rolling.
    Robocop much like Mad Max is all over the place in terms of quality.

Ghostbusters as a franchise is fastastic! It isnt 80's cheese nostalgia. It really holds up today and the sequel is freaking awsome. I am so so so so so sick of bandwagon idiots hating on ghostbusters 2. Its such a quality sequel and the hate is spewn for no good reason. 1 and 2 are smartly written, well cast, very funny and very original movies.

The other stuff you mentioned sans Bladerunner is 80's/90's cheesy nostalgia fluff.

If that was the case why would they go after AVGN who said nothing about gender? I think its pretty clear.
    I think they're going after AVGN because he's a self-professed movie critic who isn't acting like a professional, and is literally judging a book by its cover. I don't think this movie will be good, but critics don't usually get to skip the mainstream shitfests because of their artistic sentiments. Did he review Transformers? Then he can review this.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by minkage View Post
    Ghostbusters as a franchise is fastastic! It isnt 80's cheese nostalgia. It really holds up today and the sequel is freaking awsome. I am so so so so so sick of bandwagon idiots hating on ghostbusters 2. Its such a quality sequel and the hate is spewn for no good reason. 1 and 2 are smartly written, well cast, very funny and very original movies.
    Bill Murray himself thought Ghostbusters 2 was shit. It's not "bandwagon hating," in this case, you're in the minority.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I think they're going after AVGN because he's a self-professed movie critic who isn't acting like a professional, and is literally judging a book by its cover. I don't think this movie will be good, but critics don't usually get to skip the mainstream shitfests because of their artistic sentiments. Did he review Transformers? Then he can review this.

- - - Updated - - -

Bill Murray himself thought Ghostbusters 2 was shit. It's not "bandwagon hating," in this case, you're in the minority.
    I didnt know he was the authority on whats great and whats not.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Professional? The guy reviews old nintendo games, drinks beer and adds some nostalgia. Based on the trailers I would put Transformers above the new Ghostbusters.

And if that was truly the case then why would the criticism against AVGN be all about him being a misogynist? I think its pretty clear.

Never going to see this one. I detest Melissa McCarthy, nothing to do with hate for women, just that I find her really annoying.

Professional? The guy reviews old nintendo games, drinks beer and adds some nostalgia. Based on the trailers I would put Transformers above the new Ghostbusters.

And if that was truly the case then why would the criticism against AVGN be all about him being a misogynist? I think its pretty clear.
    He's also made a movie, started a site called "cinemassacre" and has branched out into movie reviews. He has 312 movie reviews to date, and a lot of it is shit. Like, hot garbage shit, and he reviews them because his whole schtick is "angry nerd." I know it's hard to take YouTubers seriously, sometimes, but the guy gets hundreds of thousands of views on his videos and is considered an "influencer" in the movie review field.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Waynhim View Post
    nothing to do with hate for women, just that I find her really annoying.
    Yeah... The problem with that is though, and I was thinking about this yesterday... Like... I can make this statement:

"I hate women."

It'd be a true statement. It's missing the qualifier, so it's a bit confusing. So, it doesn't say "all women", it doesn't say "most women", it doesn't say "many women", but it also doesn't say "some women" or "one or two women." However, the problem is, that it doesn't matter even if we give that qualifier, and even if we give specific, unique persons as the target of our hatred, if they're women. Also, I'd just like to say that "hate" is a strong word, but I'm allowed to hate individuals. That's my right.

So if I say, "I hate Zoe Quinn", for example, people are going to go "See! I knew it! He hates women!" Even though that's not what I said. I gave the name of an individual, and directed my hatred towards that individual, but, since she's a woman...well, I'm SoL. I could say, "I hate Jack Thompson", for being the slimebag he is, and that'd be just fine, because Jack's a man. It could be discussed at length, though, which one of these aforementioned asswipes has hurt gamers the most. I could say "I hate Uwe Boll", for taking beloved gaming franchises and ruining them with the shit "movies" he makes, and it'd be fine, because Uwe is a man.

So now, if you say, that these four women in this Ghostbusters remake are just god fucking awful as actors, as comedians, and they're ruining not only this remake, but any chance of a good remake any time soon. But, since they're women, like people have already been saying in this thread, it's all because you're a misogynist, and it's all because you hate women. Sorry. All women. Confusing without those qualifiers.

By the backlash people get these days, for not liking individuals, for disliking individuals, for detesting individuals, for hating individuals, if those individuals are women, that's the only conclusion that can be drawn; it doesn't matter whether you say you hate women or all women or just one individual woman. People are still going to think you're a misogynistic pig.

if you're gonna keep saying things that arent even in the article im not gonna argue with you.

he in no way goes after avgn he just uses him as an example. in fact one of the first sentences mentions how hes one of the only ones bringing up actual points.

if you're gonna keep saying things that arent even in the article im not gonna argue with you.

he in no way goes after avgn he just uses him as an example. in fact one of the first sentences mentions how hes one of the only ones bringing up actual points.
    So you deny that AVGN is being called a misogynist for doing a video about not reviewing ghostbusters?

So you deny that AVGN is being called a misogynist for doing a video about not reviewing ghostbusters?
    not in the article i linked. i dont know who avgn is or follow him so outside of that article ive never heard of him.

hes asking why THIS movie is having people freak out.

why was there no freakout over total recall, or mad max, or the new bladerunner or robocop? ect ect. especially when ghostbusters as a "franchise" is blatantly pretty shitty outside the one good movie that started it.

regardless of the quality of the movie its pretty clear why this movie is getting the vocal minority up in arms and in boycotts and shit.
    It is pretty clear, it's because people are DEFENDING it. Most folks sighed at the other sequels to movies mostly niche, folks may have said "this looks horrible", but no one stepped up and said "you're just attacking it because of XYZ!".

The main "it's womens!" statement from most folks is because it looks like there was nothing more to the script than "lets gender swap the original".

Also, Ghostbusters 2 was a fun movie, just not iconic like the first. The cartoon was also well loved by many folks, so not sure why you need to disparage the old stuff to make this one seem better by comparison?
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."