10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Understandable.
    Though once you'll experience the cruelty of overmeld RNG yourself and see those 200-250K materias fail one after another, I'm sure you won't bother overmelding (let alone pentameling) a set for each profession anymore. ^_^

I'm very curious to see what they have in store for the script grind and whether they will give us a decent crafter set that can be worn by all classes.
    Something like that I could imagine going after in my spare time.

*shrug*
    To each his own I guess.
    I never really liked all the fluff people put around the actual data in their communication.
    Seems so unnecessary to me.

But then people did say that I have "autistic tendencies". Maybe that's why it's sometimes hard for me to understand.
    Ehhh I am autistic(tjough run a sort of normal emulator) annd all they are saying is tact. Be straight as you want just word it a bit differently unless mid battle then you can be more direct abd later explain in more detail

*shrug*
    To each his own I guess.
    I never really liked all the fluff people put around the actual data in their communication.

But then people did say that I have "autistic tendencies". Maybe that's why it's sometimes hard for me to understand.
    I'd be curious what line of work you're in (no need to share if you don't want too, or PM) to see if it's just a difference in culture (NA vs. EU)/profession that drives our differing ideologies. I work in systems analysis at a financial institution that is very customer service centric, so you can see why I heavily value that customized personal interaction.

10+ Year Old Account
    As a German I have the "luxury" of getting dubbed movies and everything. To me, most of it is absolutely horrible and I prefer watching movies with the original, English voices.

There simply are differences and details that can't be translated/recreated by a voice actor, disconnected from the original film making as opposed to the actual actor himself.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Ehhh I am autistic(tjough run a sort of normal emulator) annd all they are saying is tact. Be straight as you want just word it a bit differently unless mid battle then you can be more direct abd later explain in more detail
    When I am tank, as long as the healer has mana, it is always mid battle for me. So, yes I will be short. :P

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    I'd be curious what line of work you're in (no need to share if you don't want too, or PM) to see if it's just a difference in culture (NA vs. EU)/profession that drives our differing ideologies. I work in systems analysis at a financial institution that is very customer service centric, so you can see why I heavily value that customized personal interaction.
    Private tutoring. (Engineer - studied Microsystems technology/Semiconductor design. Finding jobs is ... ugh >.<)
    Math, Physics, Chemistry, Biology NOT languages, since I suck at those.

You cannot compare a time strained environment like a dungeon where folks want to go through ASAP with a calm personal tutoring session though.
    Maybe I'm just way too paranoid from playing WoW, but my experience is that if I stop for 10 seconds, a DPS will pull for me or I will get hissed at so I do continue to press on.

Naturally I don't want to type a Shakespeare play while I dodge yellow circles and try to maintain threat.

Just a concrete example:
    Quote Originally Posted by wrecktangle
    noticed you are new because of the green sprout
    I would never take the time to type that in a combat situation, because it is redundant data.
    Everyone can clearly see the yellow David St *cough* I mean the "I am a NooB!11" armband. :X

I also don't ask whether someone wants pointers. Why would I do that? I just give them the information. Whether they use it immediately, later on or not at all is up to them, not me.
    I'd feel royally stupid if I asked "do you want some pointers" and the other responds "nope".
    Last edited by Granyala; 2016-05-20 at 07:11 PM.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    Yeah, I've read others who feel Japanse with English subs is better for XIV as well. I just didn't think or realize you could do that when I started and by the time I did, some of the voices were sorta linked with the character for me.

I've also heard the Cartenaeu cut scene is pretty.... interesting in German.
    The VAing for Nanamo Ul Namo sound so much better in Japanese ...
    Internet forums are more for circlejerking (patting each other on the back) than actual discussion (exchange and analysis of information and points of view). Took me long enough to realise ...

Understandable.
    Though once you'll experience the cruelty of overmeld RNG yourself and see those 200-250K materias fail one after another, I'm sure you won't bother overmelding (let alone pentameling) a set for each profession anymore. ^_^

I'm very curious to see what they have in store for the script grind and whether they will give us a decent crafter set that can be worn by all classes.
    Something like that I could imagine going after in my spare time.
    Trying to locate a link, but that was one of the things they stated last live letter, I believe. There's to be a new all-class left side for crafters available in 3.3.

I haven't messed with melding much gear unless I find materia for dirt cheap or simply by getting it from converting my old gear. I've found it better to sell them off at this point, due to getting new gear every 5 levels up to this point (and I've been gaining 5 levels on every DoH/L per week).

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    I very clearly mentioned that is not the case, did you even read my post? If you're so dead set in thinking that there is an absolute optimal one size fits all level of customization you're beyond saving.
    Oh, I read your post. Which is nothing more than "all these choices I'm given the ability to 'customize' in other games is lacking in X game", when in reality those choices are still somewhat limited in terms coming back to one optimial setup. Perhaps that's where our disconnect is, there will always be a mathematical optimal amount of "choices" in these games you're saying has lots of choices.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    I haven't messed with melding much gear unless I find materia for dirt cheap or simply by getting it from converting my old gear. I've found it better to sell them off at this point, due to getting new gear every 5 levels up to this point (and I've been gaining 5 levels on every DoH/L per week).
    Yes, you generally only meld at max level, when you know you will be wearing the gear for a long time.
    Melding leveling gear would be a bit ... bonkers. Oo

*shrug*
    To each his own I guess.
    Often the difference, at least in English, between coming across as commanding versus giving suggestions is as simple as the absence of a word or two.

It's the difference between "Do this, then this" and "Try doing this, then this." You're saying the exact same thing with almost the exact same words, yet one comes across as helpful and the other doesn't. Extra fluff not at all needed (thankfully).

That being said, I know next to nothing about the German language, so I don't know if there's an equivalent approach, and if there is if it's as concise and lacking in extraneous word usage. I can sound helpful and avoid sounding dickish by changing one or two words and adding one other, but I don't how possible that is in other languages.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Berethos08 View Post
    Often the difference, at least in English, between coming across as commanding versus giving suggestions is as simple as the absence of a word or two.
    Easiest to do would be to add the world "please".

"Please do not spamcast a DoT spell like Bio2, cast it once and then fill it's duration using ruin."

With DRK at 60 I just need to get WAR and MNK to 60 and then I can get the 'Grandmaster of War' title and achievement that I want. WAR will be easier due to near instant dungeon queues but I decided to tackle MNK first since that'll be the more painful of the two. I really detest playing MNK type classes though.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    With DRK at 60 I just need to get WAR and MNK to 60 and then I can get the 'Grandmaster of War' title and achievement that I want. WAR will be easier due to near instant dungeon queues but I decided to tackle MNK first since that'll be the more painful of the two. I really detest playing MNK type classes though.
    That's interesting. I'm the exact opposite; I like going full fisticuffs in a game. When I have to lug around a massive weapon though, I'm always wishing I could be dual-wielding, if possible.

I'd play a MNK just for the awesome gear and weapons in Heavensward if I most of my content consumption wasn't through pugging were tanks are so bad.

Heh. I guess I'm just a sword, shield and armour kind of guy. I do like lances/spears as well though so for the time being DRG is my primarily role of choice. I'm hoping SAM will be a DPS role with neat gear and abilities.

You know what I'd really love? A shield tank that uses a spear instead of a sword... Its always been my fantasy for whatever reason.

10+ Year Old Account
    Heh. I guess I'm just a sword, shield and armour kind of guy. I do like lances/spears as well though so for the time being DRG is my primarily role of choice. I'm hoping SAM will be a DPS role with neat gear and abilities.
    It's caster all the way for me. In every RPG, whenever possible I always played caster.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aruhen View Post
    You know what I'd really love? A shield tank that uses a spear instead of a sword...
    I doubt you could handle a spear one handed effectively in close combat.
    Wearing a shield and throwing a spear is one thing. Actually fighting with that thing ...

Well I was thinking more so of the General/Knight class from Fire Emblem. Not sure if you ever played that series but yeah slow and heavy hits.

It's caster all the way for me. In every RPG, whenever possible I always played caster.
    I've been like this myself for a long time now (Warlock in WoW since start) but lately I've switched to playing mostly melee and loving it. I don't know I feel like it keeps you on your toes more.

I caved in and decided to make an alt since I want to go through the Heavensward quests again. It'll make a good side project in between everything else and should make me a decent amount of money given how high in demand levelling gear is on Balmung.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't make an alt, it's one issue with FFXIV is that alts aren't really that promoted, that and especially with the moogle fluff balls that attempt to murder you. >.>

That and I'm on a 1 character per server account.

Just came back from a loong break, level 58 white mage. Any tips for what I should do when I get level 60?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    I can't make an alt, it's one issue with FFXIV is that alts aren't really that promoted, that and especially with the moogle fluff balls that attempt to murder you. >.>
    The MSQ contains waaaay too many hours of tedious "run from A to B to C and back to A" for me to ever want to do that again. ESP the Lv 30ish range is absolutely horrible. >.<

Wouldn't mind doing the Heavensward MSQ again though. Thought it was pretty cool.

That reminds me: I should probably hand my MSQ-Antitower quest in and wrap things up before the patch drops. :S