Thread: Alcohol Advise

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hrugner View Post
    I think the idea comes from the "function over fashion" concept that dominates the working man stereotype. I don't agree with it exactly, but it makes a sort of sense. What's the proof on that wet garbage?
    Often there's less alcohol in the "wet garbage" than in the "girly drink." Plus, the extra sugar in the girly drink accelerates the effects of the alcohol.

The other oddity about "masculine" stereotypes of drinks is that often the color of the drink comes into it. My favorite drink is called a Negroni:

As you can see, it's red. This has occasionally led people to believe it's a "girly drink" based on looks alone. When they bring it to their lips, they're quickly disabused of that notion. A Negroni is equal parts Gin, Sweet Vermouth, and Campari. It's all alcohol, mostly high proof. It's also bitter as fuck. But some people would refuse to drink it, not because they think it tastes bad (though many people hate the bitterness), but because it's red. It's silly.
    Last edited by Reeve; 2016-05-20 at 11:42 PM.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Often there's less alcohol in the "wet garbage" than in the "girly drink." Plus, the extra sugar in the girly drink accelerates the effects of the alcohol.
    Hmmm... fair point, what about per dollar booziness comparison?

Malibu rum and pineapple juice. Caliber lime margaritas (from Walmart) are also good.

10+ Year Old Account
    a simple beer you could get from the store (actually not sure about other countries but i know in the US) you could get Angry Orchard. Thats a really good cider.

10+ Year Old Account
    Eat gummy bears / worms drenched in vodka. Best party EVER!

Also Kriek is nice. (cherry beer)

Bacardi 151 straight from the bottle.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hrugner View Post
    Hmmm... fair point, what about per dollar booziness comparison?
    Well, since cocktails can go pretty much any direction, I'll stick to malt beverages.

A Budweiser and a Smirnoff Ice cost about the same at most pubs.

Budweiser: 5%
    Smirnoff Ice: 5.6%, plus a bunch of sugar

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Syero View Post
    a simple beer you could get from the store (actually not sure about other countries but i know in the US) you could get Angry Orchard. Thats a really good cider.
    Angry Orchard Stone Dry is good. The rest of the varieties are way too sweet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, since cocktails can go pretty much any direction, I'll stick to malt beverages.

A Budweiser and a Smirnoff Ice cost about the same at most pubs.

Budweiser: 5%
    Smirnoff Ice: 5.6%, plus a bunch of sugar

- - - Updated - - -

Angry Orchard Stone Dry is good. The rest of the varieties are way too sweet.
    I bought a case of Angry Orchard recently and wasn't terribly impressed with it.
    I like Strongbow, that stuff is delicious.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    I bought a case of Angry Orchard recently and wasn't terribly impressed with it.
    I like Strongbow, that stuff is delicious.
    Strongbow used to be delicious when they made a Dry Cider, but at least in the US, they stopped selling the dry stuff and went to "Golden Apple" only. And now it's sweet crap.

The closest equivalent to their dry stuff I've found is Blackthorn Dry Cider.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Ok so first I never really was a alcohol fan however I recently got into Kopparberg Pear Cider (mainly because it doesn't taste like alcohol) but I am curious what other alcoholic drinks you recommend that doesn't taste too much like alcohol
    Go with the girly drinks like bacardi breezers, stoli's and vodka cruisers. I spent half my 20's getting sloots drunk on those alcopops, those were good times.

You can go for most ciders but I think you'd only like the fake sugar syrup ones. Actual cider has a bit of a bite to it.
    Last edited by Bushtuckrman; 2016-05-21 at 12:01 AM.
    I may not agree with what you say but I will fight to the death to defend your right to say it.

There's always stuff like Seagram's Escapes if you don't mind "girly" drinks. iirc, they have less alcohol than your typical beer (I'm a lightweight, and it still takes about 4 of them before I even feel anything), but they do taste good. I used to drink them a lot when I was younger and still do every once in a while (usually just prefer Guinness or a rum and Coke now).

Aside from that...you can do pretty much anything mixed and just go heavier on the non-alcohol stuff. Rum and Coke with more Coke than rum, and so on.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by damajin View Post
    You're just asking for him to go on a bender, burn a few buildings down and fight everyone in a 5 mile radius aren't you.
    Jagerbombs=Roid Rage in a glass.
    Heh, yeah, that was one of the first legit alcoholic drinks I had. I just did a shot of Jager and chugged down a glass of Red Bull right after. Being 21 at the time and not used to alcohol (lightweight on top of that), that one hit me pretty hard.
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2016-05-21 at 04:26 AM.

Apple ale drinks don't taste alcaholic IMO.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Strongbow used to be delicious when they made a Dry Cider, but at least in the US, they stopped selling the dry stuff and went to "Golden Apple" only. And now it's sweet crap.

The closest equivalent to their dry stuff I've found is Blackthorn Dry Cider.
    Ahhh, see, that's probably why I like Strongbow better. I like sweet, don't care for dry drinks

Maybe crappy gin, mixed crappily.

There are as many different Gin flavors out there as there are wine flavors. Not all of them punch you in the face with that juniper flavor (though that's one of my favorite parts). The least juniper-y gin I'm familiar with is Nolet's, if you wanted to try it out. You'll get basically none of that "pine" flavor.

Beyond that, there's a big difference between a London Dry gin, a Sloe Gin, an Old Tom gin, and a barrel aged gin.

Like the difference between a chardonnay and a riesling.

Ironically, I got my start on gin in Africa, drinking Rhino, which really did taste like lighter fluid. I'm a bit surprised that I'm not blind.
    I'll have to it a try. Honestly the last time I had gin was some hipster bar in Seattle, probably wasn't the best representation of good gins. There was too much going on flavor wise for me tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Better off just drinking Sambuca. It'll get you drunker quicker.

Unless you outside of the U.S. and can get a hold of some really good absinthe. But even at that, it doesn't exactly have the psychedelic effect that some claim it does.
    Absinthe has been studied to death and never throughout history did it ever contain enough thujone to have any psychoactive properties. Not to mention thujone causes severe muscle convulsions before it begins to have any effect on the brain. Not exactly my idea of a good time.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am severely disappointed in all of you, for no one has mentioned the god of drinks, the first alcohol known to man, MEAD.

Get some fuckin mead.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    Bacardi 151 straight from the bottle.

Strawberry daiquiris are good and if you make them yourself you can make em with as much or as little alcohol as you want. Been drinking them since I was like six.
    Mike's hard lemonade doesn't taste like alcohol either.

The big stigma with the girly drinks is not so much the taste, because there are a lot of sweet drinks and beers that will knock you on your ass, but bars and restaurants insist on serving them in fucking fishbowls with 50 umbrellas and a dozen straws or some other ridiculous glass, or adding unnecessary ingredients like blue curacau for color. If I feel like waking up 50 miles from home with a terrible hang over, ill put back a few long island iced teas, but the cola the drink calls for is only for color to make it look like a tea, other than that its just straight booze and sour mix. That being said im definitely not averse to a pina colada, frozen margarita or sangria on a hot summer day, I just dont need it garnished with full pieces of fruit.

- - - Updated - - -

I forgot to recommend drinks!.

If you like cider and if you can find it, Original Sin is pound for pound probably the best I've ever had. If you want to go the extra mile and impress your friends and neighbors, mix it 50/50 with a good stout for a snake bite, or mix it with a good chocolate or coffee stout like Young's for a drink that tastes somewhat like a toffee apple. If you want to give a few beers a shot, Its tough to recommend without knowing your taste, I personally prefer German and Belgian wheat styles, they go down smooth have often a bit of a fruity undertone and generally weigh in at between 6 to 9 percent ABV. Stouts can also be really good if you don't like the beer taste, but I'd shy away from Guinness and try something thats made in a smaller batch and has less of an after taste like Mackeson XXX, Mother's Milk or Youngs.

If mixed things are your thing, the possibilities are only limited by your imagination though certain types of liquor pair better with some mixes than others. Generally speaking vodka pairs well with acidic juices like OJ, lemonade, tomato juice, sour mix etc which is why things like bloody marys and screwdrivers are such crowd pleasers. Even a glass of top shelf vodka over ice with just a squeeze of lemon can be a refreshing and easy drink in the summer. Rums usually mix well with mixes high in sugar such as punches and sodas. My favorite rum drink is spiced rum and ginger ale which tastes like a cream soda. Gin does well with more bland mixes with low PH which is why you often see it cut with water or tonic, but it can also be paired with citrus generally lemon and lime. Whiskey is a crap shoot, it all depends on where its made, how its made and how its filtered. Sour mash whiskey's like Jack do well with sodas and usually not much else, Irish whiskey pairs well with a heavier mix, irish creams and the like, and a good scotch should always be straight, on the rocks, or cut with a splash of water. Tequila is good if you feel like fighting a mother fucker or two. Stick to citrus or sours.

Pour v8 juice in tecate beer.