Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    The US doesnt pay it by state. We force the fathers / mothers to pay it. If they cant, seems half the time they get thrown in jail for non payment. WHich is a whole nother kind of fucked.
    @supertony51 revenge from not coming to LA in 2014.
    lol, Fair enough. I gave ya blue Vag.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Immortan Rich View Post
    This, requiring every soldier to be sterilized would not mean millions of men unable to breed due to a job choice, I would also imagine recruitment would drop to near zero and this conscription enforced Vietnam style.
    Indeed

and to digress, they are probably the men you want reproducing. Strong, healthy, and masculine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rougle View Post
    Isn't child support something that the state pays? X amount of money every month?
    Or does the US not have that?
    Parent has to pay it. The amount varies by state and it is favors women far more than men. In Illinois, it is 20% of your net income or minimum $100 a month(varies by judge), if you are inbetween jobs you are given 6 months to find a job. If you fail to find a job and start paying child support which you'll owe back child support from the time the judge told you to find a job, you will be fined. If after the fine and however much more time the judge gives you and you are still without employment they will likely put a warrant out for your arrest.

For someone who is below poverty, 20% of your already meager income is catastrophic. Considering if you had custody of your child you'd be able to live better with all of the state aid. Also just because I don't have full custody of my child, I do have her 3 months of the year. It would be more but her mother moved 12 hours away. So I have to have her own bedding, furniture, toys and room. I'd have to also pay for child support even during the months I have her.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aori View Post
    Parent has to pay it. The amount varies by state and it is favors women far more than men. In Illinois, it is 20% of your net income or minimum $100 a month(varies by judge), if you are inbetween jobs you are given 6 months to find a job. If you fail to find a job and start paying child support which you'll owe back child support from the time the judge told you to find a job, you will be fined. If after the fine and however much more time the judge gives you and you are still without employment they will likely put a warrant out for your arrest.

For someone who is below poverty, 20% of your already meager income is catastrophic. Considering if you had custody of your child you'd be able to live better with all of the state aid. Also just because I don't have full custody of my child, I do have her 3 months of the year. It would be more but her mother moved 12 hours away. So I have to have her own bedding, furniture, toys and room. I'd have to also pay for child support even during the months I have her.
    That's beyond fucked up.

Quote Originally Posted by Sykol View Post
    She shouldn't really be getting a dime out of his money. That's like being fired and then your boss has to keep paying you unless you find a new job.
    You consider divorce like being fired from a job?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aori View Post

People always say blah blah favors women but it's not true.. like for isntance people say custody court favors women, yet studies have shown that when men actually try to get custody that they are more likely to actually win it. The reason women get it so often is because men aren't fighting for it.

Also men can get it too you know if they are the ones with the kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    You consider divorce like being fired from a job?
    No, because I don't get paid 21k a month.

No, because I don't get paid 21k a month.
    It appears that you don't understand what's happening here. When a couple gets divorced if one is really wealthy the other is entitled to the lifestyle they became accustomed to.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Beyond alimony issues, I have a hard time believing that he only has $4k in the bank.
    He makes 112k a month he says and of that 21k goes to his ex.. i mean the guy was worth over 100m this is like less than 3m we are talking about here.

He makes 112k a month he says and of that 21k goes to his ex.. i mean the guy was worth over 100m this is like less than 3m we are talking about here.
    He makes $112k a month and he's blowing almost all of it each month? :/ He needs to work on his money management skills.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    I for one believe that alimony shouldn't be a thing anymore. I really don't see any good reason to have it.
    I'm sure it will shock some people since I am a liberal, but I agree. At least, it shouldn't exist in the form it does. It should be limited in duration, no more than five years, and should have a low cap on the monthly amount that can be ordered. The only way your ex's income should be a factor is to lower the amount from that potential cap based on their ability to pay.

Married rich? Too bad, it doesn't entitle you to some massive payout when your relationship ends.
    “Nostalgia was like a disease, one that crept in and stole the colour from the world and the time you lived in. Made for bitter people. Dangerous people, when they wanted back what never was.” -- Steven Erikson, The Crippled God

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're making great money, or are a celebrity, you need to be more skeptical about the concept of, "love" lol.

It appears that you don't understand what's happening here. When a couple gets divorced if one is really wealthy the other is entitled to the lifestyle they became accustomed to.
    Why, though?

I fail to see valid reasoning behind this. At least with the employer metaphor, you'd have done something to deserve it.

No one is entitled to anything unless they work to maintain that.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    You didn't even come to my graduation! Meanie!

Also that woman paying alimony to her rapist is also crap. Also Halle Berry is going through similar, except I think it's child support?
    I'm going to charm you and crash at your place.

- - - Updated - - -

I fail to see valid reasoning behind this. At least with the employer metaphor, you'd have done something to deserve it.

Pretty much this.

It's the equlivant of either quitting or getting fired from your job but still demanding a paycheck

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Xar226 View Post
    I'm sure it will shock some people since I am a liberal, but I agree. At least, it shouldn't exist in the form it does. It should be limited in duration, no more than five years, and should have a low cap on the monthly amount that can be ordered. The only way your ex's income should be a factor is to lower the amount from that potential cap based on their ability to pay.

Married rich? Too bad, it doesn't entitle you to some massive payout when your relationship ends.
    I'd be willing to find a middle ground in requiring compensation for whatever opportunity costs were incurred, though i'd say the person choose the route they took, implying that they believed that home life bore more value to them.

When you make/have a ridiculous amounts of money, while that much for child support obviously isn't necessary, it's not absurd when you're worth so much.

Of course, when you blow hundreds of millions of dollars like an idiot, regardless of how many years have gone by, and you have no money left...I guess it is too much at that point since it would obviously have to be on par with your actual income...whatever that is for him now and what it will be in a years time.
    *Insert every single ridiculous PC parts detail here that no one cares about*

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jofe View Post
    I'm not entirely sure of how alimony works but, isn't it supposed to be to maintain a divorced couple children? If all of his children are adults now, why does he still have to pay?
    No, that's child support. You pay alimony to give your former husband/wife economic support.
    Last edited by zephid; 2016-05-21 at 03:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    Why, though?

He won't give you a straight answer on this.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Quote Originally Posted by Jofe View Post
    I'm not entirely sure of how alimony works but, isn't it supposed to be to maintain a divorced couple children? If all of his children are adults now, why does he still have to pay?
    Alimony has nothing to do with children. It's designed to give the other spouse the same standard of living they enjoyed while married. Imagine a married couple where one spouse is successful and the other stays at home to raise the children. We all know this hurts their employment viability and earnings. Now say the successful spouse cheats or is an abuser. Should they be able to ditch their spouse and leave them in rags?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerus View Post
    Alimony has nothing to do with children. It's designed to give the other spouse the same standard of living they enjoyed while married. Imagine a married couple where one spouse is successful and the other stays at home to raise the children. We all know this hurts their employment viability and earnings. Now say the successful spouse cheats or is an abuser. Should they be able to ditch their spouse and leave them in rags?
    Which really shouldnt be used as an excuse to leech off your successful ex. I understand for maybe a few years while s/he got back on his/her feet, but i cannot support a decade long reliance on ones ex if she is capable / currently is working.

and really, I find the "accustomed to living at this level" a bunch of baloney anyways. I find it an incredibly flimsy excuse when one can live decently at reasonable wages.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is why Pacino never married. He's a smart man.

Just looked online, looks like they were married seventeen years and had two kids together...spousal support is likely justified.

David Hasselhoff is 63 years old, he is from an era where women were expected to be wives/mothers and give up their careers to support their husband and raise children. Cry all you want about spousal support, remember now that most women are working it goes both ways (if you opt out of the job market to be a house husband, or if you made career decisions that adversely affected your career but benefited your spouse, then you too would be entitled to support).

If you don't like it go get a prenup, simple and easy to do. The end.