Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveRocks View Post
    That's absolutely false; loss prevention employees are strictly trained not to intervene. Only security officers can do what you're describing, which is otherwise illegal.
    Absolutely correct. Loss Prevention can follow them to get a description or track their movements on cameras throughout the store but they are prohibited from physical contact. More so they can do nothing to a Customer they see put merchandise in their pockets until that Customer tries exiting the store. I think the only think that makes physical contact permissible is if the Customer attempts to get physical with the Loss Prevention personnel then it's acceptable as a means to detain until police show up. Might be wrong but I think holds are allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post
    Target just instituted a policy which inadvertent, yet obviously, allows predators access to females in the restroom.

Now they're suing a guy who prevented a murder.

They clearly don't care about about their customers safety and should be sued fined and run out of business.
    That didn't take long lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Person A stabs someone on the street. Person B chases person A into the target store. Person A stabs person C while person B attempts to "stop" them.
    Person C's family sues the Target store because of the incident, so Target sues person B for chasing person A into the store.
    Like others have stated, it's kind of hard to see how Target is liable for what Person A did, as they ran into the store and ended up assaulting someone.

Quote Originally Posted by damajin View Post
    Target has in house security people who are authorized to stop conflicts and perform citizens arrests.
    As someone who knows a LOT of current and former Target employees, including a step-brother and multiple friends who worked Loss Prevention, you are wrong.

Unless you are an actual cop or licensed security personnel working Loss Prevention there isn't a whole lot you're allowed to do due to liability reasons. Even if you are, you're still a lot more limited in what you can and can't do.

Target just instituted a policy which inadvertent, yet obviously, allows predators access to females in the restroom.

They clearly don't care about about their customers safety and should be sued fined and run out of business.
    No they don't. Predatory behavior in a bathroom is still illegal. Only morons think that allowing trans people access to bathrooms means predators are now allowed to pursue victims legally.

10+ Year Old Account
    Born: Syracuse, NY; Currently live: Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    "We have sued Target, because they failed to keep Allison safe."

because blaming Target for not controlling their customers is like blaming the wind because your neighbor started a fire and smoke got in your yard.
    So it's reasonable to sue a guy for chasing a scumbag through the store, but unreasonable for a victim to sue an establishment for having poor security? Nice double standard...

Your comparison is flawed btw... This is like your neighbor starting a fire, not controlling it, and then burning half your yard down as well.

That's absolutely false; loss prevention employees are strictly trained not to intervene. Only security officers can do what you're describing, which is otherwise illegal.
    Which is why I said in house security and not loss prevention, which they have as well.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

Quote Originally Posted by Rizendragon View Post
    So it's reasonable to sue a guy for chasing a scumbag through the store, but unreasonable for a victim to sue an establishment for having poor security? Nice double standard...

Your comparison is flawed btw... This is like your neighbor starting a fire, not controlling it, and then burning half your yard down as well.
    I actually said both were scum, but thanks for playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Brubear View Post
    As someone who knows a LOT of current and former Target employees, including a step-brother and multiple friends who worked Loss Prevention, you are wrong.

Unless you are an actual cop or licensed security personnel working Loss Prevention there isn't a whole lot you're allowed to do due to liability reasons. Even if you are, you're still a lot more limited in what you can and can't do.
    I'm more than aware of what you're able to do and not able to do and as I said Target has a security team, at least they do in Michigan. Then again being near Detroit requires it, so if you're in some nice safe spot perhaps they don't.

I used to have Target as a daily account to visit when I was in retail sales and had to interact with their security staff on a daily basis, and this is within the last year so I'm not speaking of some by gone era or anything.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

It depends if the guy brought the bat into the store or not? Target must have camera footage that shows the guy doing that.

Target employees are not trained police officers; they have zero obligation or authority to stop any violence that may occur in the store.
    Cops in the US have zero obligation to help. Supreme court ruled that.

The man is sued for chasing an armed person into the store and escalating it to the point that a third was stabbed. The store is sued because their family thinks a department store should have armed guards.

10+ Year Old Account
    As someone who used to work loss prevention in a Target, if any weapons or physical violence is involved all members of the security team of Target are told to disengage and call police. If one of them attempted to intervene in a situation like this, Target would immediately fire that person and probably sue them as well, for provoking the attacker into action. Any dangerous situation whatsoever can only be observed and reported, preferably from cameras and not in person. Most security are just 18 y/o kids who need a job, they actually get paid only 1 dollar over minimum. Can't tell you how many cracked out wackos tried to stab me with their needles and other lovely items, it is not a fair or fun or satisfying job.

10+ Year Old Account
    Born: Syracuse, NY; Currently live: Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Torgent View Post
    The man is sued for chasing an armed person into the store and escalating it to the point that a third was stabbed. The store is sued because their family thinks a department store should have armed guards.
    How did we jump from chasing around to chasing into? The family certainly isn't insinuating that Target should have armed guards either. Nice way to use hyperbole to make corporate America sound like white knights though...

http://thefederalist.com/2016/05/19/...ng-him-for-it/

This article has a little bit more info. Family sues Target, Target sues man. Also has info on their other PR disasters (and probable lawsuits waiting to happen).
    "The further a society drifts from the truth the more it will hate those who speak it" - George Orwell

How did we jump from chasing around to chasing into? The family certainly isn't insinuating that Target should have armed guards either. Nice way to use hyperbole to make corporate America sound like white knights though...
    I think the jump to "chasing into" came from the interview with Michael Turner. He said the guy stabbed his friend a few blocks from the Target so they went after him with a bat so they could call the cops on him.

As for the family suing Target, I wouldn't think they would have much of a case. Unless you have security that is trained in deescalating violence or hostage-type situations (or even with it really), any intervention from security, staff or customers could make things worse.

Looks to me like someone is trying to throw mud at Target in a rage because their bathroom policies didn't end up ruining them.
    That is the only thing that comes to mind when wondering why we now get a flood of questionable accussations for things years in the past all centered around their name (which I had never even heard of before a few weeks back).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Slatch View Post
    Cops in the US have zero obligation to help. Supreme court ruled that.
    What is their supposed task then? Conducting civil forfeiture?

Just another day in the glorious United States. The land of opportunity, where you can sue someone for literally anything, even saving your own life. Sort your shit out America ...

They were too liberal (in the European sense) for your liking and now you try and throw mud at them to keep others from adopting similar policies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Target employees are not trained police officers; they have zero obligation or authority to stop any violence that may occur in the store.
    And it's a great policy. Untrained retail agents will possibly get hurt or hurt someone in the process, thus being a liability as well as a danger in these situations. Untrained persons should not get involved in physical security situations
    Putin khuliyo