Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricket22 View Post
    I do have oily skin, and problem with moisturizers is they make me break out, really badly. I always use sunscreen, but a gel based one.

but if you read my revised post above, Your post got me thinking that my skin just may be too smooth, but there's a new product I've seen--tiny air sprayers for foundation, similar to ones used for spray tans.

For me, it's definitely worth a try, so thanks!
    Have you tried ItCosmetics Your Skin But Better CC Cream?
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

I don't care if they wear it, but I don't approve of them talking to me about it. I don't care for your "advice" fucking Kardashian wannabe.
    X

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't really care. Personally I prefer a bit of make-up, but not so much that it looks unnatural. If someone likes wearing tons of it then by all means though, won't bother me, I just won't find them as attractive.

I think too many people are dodging the real question; is using make-up being dishonest?

In a sense I think it is. Just like many other forms of lying, its being deceitful about who/what you really are.

10+ Year Old Account
    Makeup is fine when it's used to accentuate features. But not when it's overdone.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan
    I think too many people are dodging the real question; is using make-up being dishonest?
    Is this part of the prevailing "triggered" mentality?

No, it isn't being dishonest, it is wearing makeup. Let's not take concepts to illogical extremes.

Wearing makeup is no different from brushing your hair, using conditioner, shaving, trimming your beard, not farting in the elevator, wearing clothes that create a particular image, wearing a bra (particularly a push up bra), wearing high heels, or using deodorant. Our lives are full of such little acts; they're not dishonest, they're just a part of life that most people are able to take in stride. Here's another one -- that min wage register ringer that just smiled and said "thank you, have a nice day!" probably didn't mean it.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    Is this part of the prevailing "triggered" mentality?

No, it isn't being dishonest, it is wearing makeup. Let's not take concepts to illogical extremes.

Wearing makeup is no different from brushing your hair, using conditioner, shaving, trimming your beard, not farting in the elevator, wearing clothes that create a particular image, wearing a bra (particularly a push up bra), wearing high heels, or using deodorant. Our lives are full of such little acts; they're not dishonest, they're just a part of life that most people are able to take in stride. Here's another one -- that min wage register ringer that just smiled and said "thank you, have a nice day!" probably didn't mean it.
    Most of the things you mentioned aren't really good comparisons though. There is a fine line between being hygienic and enhancing your physical attributes. I'd say wearing a push-up bra is being dishonest, but using shampoo is just being hygienic and trying to look presentable.

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherRae View Post
    Have you tried ItCosmetics Your Skin But Better CC Cream?
    Not that one specifically, but I've tried some of the best of the best BB creams, including Dr. Jarts, which is extremely popular in Asia.
    BB creams sound so fantastic, especially since most also contain sunscreen--which I never go on bike rides without. Only I use very light gel based ones.

But it's not like moisturizing creams just make me break out in pimples/blackheads, but rather deeply infected, gigantic painful swollen welts. I don't use any creams --or conditioners on my hair for that matter either. Got enough oil of my own.

So I'm hesitant to try any more of them.

I think it's just a genetic thing. My parents and grandparents still have oily skin too, and they don't use moisturizers either.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan
    Most of the things you mentioned aren't really good comparisons though. There is a fine line between being hygienic and enhancing your physical attributes. I'd say wearing a push-up bra is being dishonest, but using shampoo is just being hygienic and trying to look presentable.
    "And trying to look presentable" ... Of course, you mean just like a woman who wears makeup, right?

I presented a range of things that change a person's appearance or scent. What makes the question sticky is that the "fine line" probably has more to do with what a given reader wants to justify. Consider --

Shower -- hot water, no soap, rubbing with herbs or similar acts.
    Shower -- hot water, non-deodorant soap.
    Shower -- hot water, deodorant soap
    Shower -- hot water, scented shower gel
    Shower -- hot water, deodorant soap, spray of scented deodorant
    Shower -- hot water, deodorant soap, splash of cologne or perfume
    Shower -- hot water, deodorant soap, splash of cologne or perfume with added pheromones advertised to attract the opposite sex.

That's just a range of "hygiene" but by the end of the list I'd say that a fragrance with added pheromones probably goes beyond foundation and blush. Lifts probably strike some as dishonest, but high heels probably get a pass. Why?
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post

In a sense I think it is. Just like many other forms of lying, its being deceitful about who/what you really are.
    Maybe? If you're covering up herpes or something I suppose it could be, but then goatees could be as well. Makeup is pretty obvious, you aren't going to not notice that it's being worn and many women make no effort to attempt a realistic appearance with their makeup. It's about as dishonest as deodorant.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    ....perfume with added pheromones advertised to attract the opposite sex.
    We lack the brain chunks and nasal aperture to interpret pheromones, what exactly are they putting in there?

10+ Year Old Account
    Not that one specifically, but I've tried some of the best of the best BB creams, including Dr. Jarts, which is extremely popular in Asia.
    BB creams sound so fantastic, especially since most also contain sunscreen--which I never go on bike rides without. Only I use very light gel based ones.

But it's not like moisturizing creams just make me break out in pimples/blackheads, but rather deeply infected, gigantic painful swollen welts. I don't use any creams --or conditioners on my hair for that matter either. Got enough oil of my own.

So I'm hesitant to try any more of them.

I think it's just a genetic thing. My parents and grandparents still have oily skin too, and they don't use moisturizers either.
    I have very dry, but sensitive skin. The CC cream, Too Faced Born This Way liquid foundation, and the L'Oreal Lumi cushion foundation are the only ones I've found that don't leave gigantic dry patches on my face.

I'm very curious as to what you're allergic to in those items, though. Because that sounds like an allergy.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

Deleted
    What's interesting about make-up is that women are using it as far back as history is recorded.

So women are insecure since... forever?

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherRae View Post
    I have very dry, but sensitive skin. The CC cream, Too Faced Born This Way liquid foundation, and the L'Oreal Lumi cushion foundation are the only ones I've found that don't leave gigantic dry patches on my face.

I'm very curious as to what you're allergic to in those items, though. Because that sounds like an allergy.
    I don't think it's allergies. I have tried too faced, and Lancôme foundations--which actually owns Loreal, and is their higher end product. I get lots of Lancôme samples in the freebie kits I receive whenever I buy one of their products, mainly as gifts for others.

I have a lot of natural oil, and when I use anything that contains a moisturizer, it clogs my pores, which are fairly fine as it is. So the oil gets trapped underneath, and builds up, swelling and becoming infecting. At least, that's my theory. I don't really know for sure.

I wash my face several times a day, and at every rest stop when cycling. By using water proof eyeliner and lip stain, and avoiding using soap on those areas, my makeup stays put fairly well, even when cycling 100 mile centuries.

But I don't have any problem with oil free sunscreen gels, and do have to wonder if there isn't a compound in cream based moisturizers and makeup, that's been effecting me. Which is entirely possible.

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    Quote Originally Posted by iPoopRainbows View Post

that's how I feel lol
    I laughed. This is quite true, though. I don't understand how wanting to express yourself suddenly equals lying about who you are. This would be the same for so many other things, like clothes. Why wear certain clothes, in the same instance wouldn't they be "masking" who you are as well? What about driving vehicles, don't they also mask who you are in this instance as well? If expressing what you like is considered being "dishonest" then how are you supposed to differentiate yourself from everyone else? Be naked all the time and force everything in existence to be a dull mono-color baseline so that no one is different, therefore not "dishonest"?
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hrugner
    We lack the brain chunks and nasal aperture to interpret pheromones, what exactly are they putting in there?
    The verdict is still out on that one. There is speculation that we have some sensitivity to pheromones (a standard example is women who gradually synchronize their menstrual cycle), but that the influence is generally more subtle than it is with other species.

The promotions of one company that adds human hormones to its fragrances claim the additives will "put you and your partner at ease, boost your confidence, and contribute to a feeling of well being." The general idea is that pheromone perfume can replace our naturally produced pheromones that have been washed off through bathing and hidden by layers of clothing.

If these claims are true, pheromones may make us more attractive to potential mates by bringing out our best qualities and allowing us to appear more self-assured and relaxed. That "feeling of well being" may also make us a lot more pleasant to be around.
    Source: http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=116833

For a lengthier and somewhat more technical discussion:

So far, scientists have had some success in demonstrating that exposure to body odor can elicit responses in other humans. As in rodent research, human sweat and secretions can affect the reproductive readiness of other humans. Since the 1970s researchers have observed changes in a woman’s menstrual cycle when she is exposed to the sweat of other women. In 2011 a Florida State University group demonstrated that the scent of ovulating women could cause testosterone levels to increase in men.

But there is no evidence of a consistent and strong behavioral response to any human-produced chemical cue. “Maybe once upon a time we could react more viscerally,” says chemist George Preti of the Monell Chemical Senses Center. Today, however, our reactions seem to be much subtler—and harder to detect—than those of a silk moth. This subtlety has led researchers to propose another kind of chemical messenger, known as a “modulator” pheromone, that affects the mood or mental state of the recipient. In an example of this type, researchers at Stony Brook University found in 2009 that sniffing the sweat of first-time parachute jumpers could increase a person’s ability to discriminate between ambiguous emotional expressions. The implication is that chemicals in the jumper’s sweat might constitute an alarm signal, which puts the recipient on high alert and makes them more attentive to details.

Yet to demonstrate definitively that pheromones are at work, researchers need to point to the molecules responsible, which they have not yet done. To date, scientists have collected evidence for possible pheromone effects but have not definitively identified a single human pheromone.
    Source: http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...eromones-real/

For the purpose of my example, it was the clearest I could think of to show a far end to a simple shower that amounts to someone trying to stack the deck as far as allure.

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    What's interesting about make-up is that women are using it as far back as history is recorded.

So women are insecure since... forever?
    Not all women who wear makeup do so out of insecurity; in fact I'd say the majority don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Not all women who wear makeup do so out of insecurity; in fact I'd say the majority don't.
    As the majority of women do wear makeup, if I didn't it would make me feel self-conscious and out of place.

It would be like being the only one in the office wearing sweats, while the rest are dressed in business suits.

As the majority of women do wear makeup, if I didn't it would make me feel self-conscious and out of place.

It would be like being the only one in the office wearing sweats, while the rest are dressed in business suits.
    Yeah I actually feel like this is why most women wear at least some makeup...it's expected that you do so (especially in business/professional/formal environments).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post

It's interesting

Think about bald men who wear wigs, we laugh at them and we think of wigs as deceitful - if you're bald, don't pretend to have a head full of hair!

It's socially unacceptable to wear a wig because it's weird to wear fake hair on your head - but isn't wearing fake eyelashes, fake skin colour even more bizarre?

And aren't hair extensions just wigs for girls?

Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's interesting

Think about bald men who wear wigs, we still laugh at them and we think of wigs as deceitful - if you're bald, don't lie about it!

It's socially unacceptable to wear a wig because it's weird to wear fake hair on your head - but isn't wearing fake eyelashes, fake skin colour even more bizarre?

And aren't hair extensions just wigs for girls?
    hey you know all those threads where you post pictures of models vs fat ugly sjw?
    didnt see you complaining about all that makeup & falsies then.